Metal Storm logo
Epica

17.05.2006 - 18:47
Etaín
New thread for this great Dutch band

So they just released 'The Road to Paradiso' photo sound book. Need to get my hands on this soon. They also recorded the show for a dvd if i remember correctly. Thats gonna be great
17.05.2006 - 20:16
Lost One
Account deleted
Yes, the DVD should be released in a while. I'm looking forward to that myself. I found the 2 Meter Sessies to be very interesting and great to watch, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a downright concert DVD. Now they are finally getting one, and can only hope that it is going to have perfect production and all that. I'm not concerned though, all of Epica's releases nailed it in that department.

Anyway, the book looks fantastic and I may not be a die hard fan, but I'm thinking of buying it anyway. Are there any Free Record Shops in your area? I know that they sell them.
17.05.2006 - 20:38
Etaín
Yeah, ofcours. There's a freerecordshop in almost every town here. But if they dont have it there i can always order it online.

I love the 2 Meter Sessies. I knew Simone had a great voice, but hearing her live on there ... wow! And hearing her in real life was even more wow Ive heard from people who were at the Paradiso concert that it was all perfect, the mucis, the show, Simone's singing. So im really looking forward to it as well
17.05.2006 - 20:44
Lost One
Account deleted
I hope they had plenty of cameras to record the action. And I also hope that Epica didn't try to be more perfect for the recording. They have to be themselves. I hear Sonata Arctica's new DVD sucks because it doesn't represent their true live spirit. I'll be able to tell pretty well once I get the DVD, I have seen them live three times already, so..

Hehe, you have convinced me to get that book for sure.
18.05.2006 - 01:45
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
I'm (hopefully) going to get to see them in September in Chicago. They're opening for Kamelot and while the tix are a little more than I'd like to pay ($32 total), I'd still love to see them live. All I have to do is convince my boyfriend to come with me because I need a ride to get there.
18.05.2006 - 02:02
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I'll catch then in October with Kamelot. I'm not that excited about having to sit through their set since I'm not a big fan.

Epica really disappoints me. I really enjoy Mark's music on many of the songs but feel that Simone's voice (and some of the vocal melodies in general) ruins it. I remember the first time I heard The Phanton Agony, I was so excited! The first amazing notes start for Sensorium, then Simone opens her mouth with "chance doesn't exist.." aah!!! I perked up like a meerkat, who IS this vocalist? Someone's girlfriend? Yes, she is. Sounds like she is singing with a cottonball in her mouth for the whole album.

I hear you all talk about how she has improved and how they are so great live so I'm willing to give them another chance. Hopefully I'll return to this thread in October being a fan of Epica. I really enjoy Mark's compositions, especially the keyboard parts, but I just cannot take the awful vocals
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
18.05.2006 - 04:50
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i really liked their 1st album, it sounds very nice to me although pretty much like after forever (obvious reasons)...after that i listened to few songs of their next release but i got bored and didn't listened the rest of it...i'm not much into them anymore, i only like the phantom agony, the album is good...i saw them twice already and the 1st time was pretty cool but 2 months ago i saw them again and i got bored too...one of the things i liked was their cover from death, crystal mountain, they played it very well...mark jansen is a nice guy too, i got the opportunity to meet him last year...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
18.05.2006 - 05:11
Icewings
La Luna
Yeah great band , I wish I could see them ..I mean I imagine one of their concerts ...because they have pure excellent vocals , extremely good guitars , good drums, base , accompaniment ..I REALLY LIKE THEM ...specially Phantom agony is a masterpiece ....and well I haven't check the new stuff but I will ..Great Thread !
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
18.05.2006 - 10:31
Lost One
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 18.05.2006 at 02:02

I'll catch then in October with Kamelot. I'm not that excited about having to sit through their set since I'm not a big fan.

Epica really disappoints me. I really enjoy Mark's music on many of the songs but feel that Simone's voice (and some of the vocal melodies in general) ruins it. I remember the first time I heard The Phanton Agony, I was so excited! The first amazing notes start for Sensorium, then Simone opens her mouth with "chance doesn't exist.." aah!!! I perked up like a meerkat, who IS this vocalist? Someone's girlfriend? Yes, she is. Sounds like she is singing with a cottonball in her mouth for the whole album.

I hear you all talk about how she has improved and how they are so great live so I'm willing to give them another chance. Hopefully I'll return to this thread in October being a fan of Epica. I really enjoy Mark's compositions, especially the keyboard parts, but I just cannot take the awful vocals

Simone got that a lot in the earlier days of Epica. At the time, she was still in high school (!) and she had never EVER had any vocal training whatsoever, especially not in soprano vocals. Anyway, she dropped out of school just for the band and has been training and training ever since. Oh yes, she has improved quite a lot since their first album. So much even that I could hear it with every new gig I attended. And not only she keeps improving, Mark's growling and guitar work keeps getting better as well!

I think they really deserve another chance from you once they get over there again. They're such a great live band and above all such nice people, they honestly earned each and every bit of my respect. Epica never cease to amaze me and I hope that they will keep on doing just that.
18.05.2006 - 10:51
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by [user id=143] on 18.05.2006 at 10:31

Written by Susan on 18.05.2006 at 02:02

Simone got that a lot in the earlier days of Epica. At the time, she was still in high school (!) and she had never EVER had any vocal training whatsoever, especially not in soprano vocals. Anyway, she dropped out of school just for the band and has been training and training ever since. Oh yes, she has improved quite a lot since their first album. So much even that I could hear it with every new gig I attended. And not only she keeps improving, Mark's growling and guitar work keeps getting better as well!

I think they really deserve another chance from you once they get over there again. They're such a great live band and above all such nice people, they honestly earned each and every bit of my respect. Epica never cease to amaze me and I hope that they will keep on doing just that.

Well said mate,
She definatly has improved, but i still think there nothing wrong with her vocals on the first album, sure shes not anywhere near my fav vocalist (Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge), but she has talent, likewise the rest of the band. i think they have outdone themselves with the vocal arrangements including the choir featuring sopranos, a soul singer, alto and tenor.

Epica are indeed a great band, unfortunatly i miss them live in my travels through Europe, though i possibly will see their counterpart, Kamelot.
So Daphne, you receive my fists of fury for seeing them live
18.05.2006 - 11:52
Stoemp
I was at Paradiso for the show (great show by the way... can't wait to get the DVD) and I bought the book after the gig. I have read the book in one night. Great stories and a must have for every fan!

They announced after the gig that the DVD is expected somewhere in September, so we'll have to be patient...
18.05.2006 - 17:31
Torelli
What is this book you all talk about?
Anyway,I think this is a great band alltough their music videos are not that good(with exeption of the phantom agony video). they videos' are far from their music in my opinion. Putting that aside, I think Simone has a beautiful voice, and as some of you says, she has really envolved since their debut.
18.05.2006 - 17:40
Lost One
Account deleted
The book is called 'The Road To Paradiso' and is basically a book that tells the entire story of the band, from the day they started as Sahara Dust until the concert in Amsterdam in April. There's lots of fan submissions in it too, ranging from photos to personal stories to poetry. It's all very special, with lots of beautiful pictures and artwork, and a special audio CD with (previously unreleased) songs and the making-ofs of these songs. Very neat! It is the first book ever to enter the album charts in Holland!

The tracklisting of the audio CD:

1. Welcome to The Road To Paradiso (Caught in a Web) (3.21)
2. Making of Adyta (1.34)
3. Adyta (1.23)
music: M. Jansen 2002 - Previously Unreleased Demo Version
4. Making of Cry for the Moon (1.29)
5. Cry For The Moon (6.43)
music: M. Jansen / A. Sluijter / S. Simons 2002 - Previously Unreleased Demo Version
6. Making of Quietus (1.14)
7. Quietus (3.41)
music: M. Jansen / Y. Huts / C. Janssen / A. Sluijter / S. Simons / J. Simons 2004 - Previously Unreleased Demo Version
8. Quietus (Silent Reverie) (3.54)
music: M. Jansen / Y. Huts / C. Janssen / A. Sluijter / S. Simons / J. Simons -
lyrics: S. Simons 2005 - Single Version
9. The Fallacy (3.23)
music: M. Jansen / A. Sluijter / S. Simons / H. Alberts - lyrics: M. Jansen 2004 - Previously Unreleased Track
10. Interview with Ad on the Live Tracks (0.32)
11. Solitary Ground (4.05)
music: C. Janssen / M. Jansen / A. Sluijter / S. Simons - lyrics: S. Simons Previously Unreleased Live Version Live @ Razzmatazz, Barcelona, Spain, 27 October 2005
12. Blank Infinity (4.04)
music: M. Jansen / C. Janssen / S. Simons - lyrics: S. Simons Previously Unreleased Live Version Live @ Effenaar, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 5 January 2006
13. Mother Of Light (6.01)
music: M. Jansen / A. Sluijter - lyric: M. Jansen Previously Unreleased Live Version Live @ Effenaar, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 5 January 2006
14. Linger (4.15)
music: M. Jansen, C. Janssen, Y. Huts, S. Simons lyrics: S. Simons 2005 - Previously Unreleased Piano Version
15. Crystal Mountain (5.01)
music/lyrics: C. Schuldiner Orchestral Version (Death-cover)
16. Purushayita 3.50
music: Y. Huts 2005 - Previously Unreleased Track from the album 'The Score'
18.05.2006 - 18:50
Etaín
Written by Dark Cornatus on 18.05.2006 at 10:51

So Daphne, you receive my fists of fury for seeing them live

Shut up Matt, you've seen more great bands than me

That book seems so cool. Ive send a couple of pics too from the show they did here in February, but they didnt get in
18.05.2006 - 21:00
jack sparrow
Account deleted
simply the best band of the style we call "symphonic-gothic".......and simone is the most beautiful woman on the planet as you can see here

and i'll see them live on 26th of may,only 8 days left
18.05.2006 - 21:08
pyroclasm
Account deleted
I didn't really used to like them that much, I've heard a few albums by them but they didn't make me feel like they were a great band. But I've seen them together with Kamelot, and I must admit it was one of the very best life performances that I've ever seen. I was (and still am) a fan of Kamelot, but at the concert I really liked Epica a lot better, and that's when I really started to apreciate the band. The first thing I did after the concert was buying a sweater of Epica :p. I have never been so impressed by a gig like theirs (partially because I didn't expect much of it). GREAT BAND!
18.05.2006 - 21:47
dagnytaggart
Account deleted
I love Simone's voice, and I'm really surprised to hear that she hadn't had any training before doing The Phantom Agony. She has a beautiful tone to her voice and it sounds very well controlled. She really sounds like someone who's done some classical singing.
19.05.2006 - 04:24
Dark Blood
The Avenger
One of the best gothic metal bands at the moment. I love them! Needless to mension the great Simone's voice! The best female voice I've ever heard!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
19.05.2006 - 05:04
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by [user id=12967] on 18.05.2006 at 21:00

simply the best band of the style we call "symphonic-gothic".......and simone is the most beautiful woman on the planet as you can see here

We call? I dont, for me they are more Symphonic Power Metal than Gothic, i like to use the term Atmospheric too.
Agreed she is one of the most beautiful girls though

@Daphne: Haha, only because i saw Nightwish with Tarja, doesnt mean you have to get upset, Simone is hotter anyway, i want to see her live too!
19.05.2006 - 06:19
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I wish I could see this band live, their music is just awesome, everything: vocals, keyboards, lyrics, guitars...
Once, I readed that they want to come to Colombia and that we should be sure of that, one day they'll be here... hope it's soon.
@Dark Cornatus: I don't think they're symphonic power, I just think they're not so gothic...
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
19.05.2006 - 10:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Epica - New Online Contest Announced :

According to the official Epica website, the band's two official fanclubs - The Fantom Agony and The French Crusade - are holding an online contest for fanclub members. It features 21 prizes of exclusive Mexican merchandise you won't find outside of Mexico. To enter you must send an email to one of the fanclubs containing one file that has to do with Epica (photo, drawing, poem, song). Entries will be judged by the band, so fans are advised to be imaginitive. Deadline is July 20th, 11:59pm, result will be announced in early August.

For more information go to either of the links above.

(Source : http://www.epica.nl)

For more information on The Road To Paradiso go to this location.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
19.05.2006 - 10:40
jack sparrow
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.05.2006 at 05:04

Written by [user id=12967] on 18.05.2006 at 21:00

We call? I dont, for me they are more Symphonic Power Metal than Gothic, i like to use the term Atmospheric too.
Agreed she is one of the most beautiful girls though

hmmm.....i think we can at least put the first album in this category.cuz it sounds more like gothic with those operatic and brutal vocals,and of course with keyboards parts.but second album is different,less symphonic,still very good though...so i am not sure about the second...
19.05.2006 - 11:24
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Less Symphonic? I think it is just as Symphonic, i would say the first album has gothic songs yes, but the second album not really.
I was reflecting that on the latest album, i probably should have noted that.
19.05.2006 - 12:57
Lost One
Account deleted
Encyclopaedia Metallum says: gothic/atmospheric metal.
I just prefer calling them gothic metal because when I do, everyone knows what I am talking about. If I start using five different adjectives to describe their style, people just stare at me in disbelief.

Anyway, I think Consign To Oblivion is in every way more symphonic than the The Phantom Agony, from the album opener Hunab K'u to the epic title track at the very end. Not only did the orchestral parts become more important, but the choir gets more time to shine as well. Also, it seems Mark 'sings' less on CtO than on TPA.
19.05.2006 - 15:59
Arwen
Well...I've listened them at times to time and always thought that they're nothing special and Simon'es voice didn't exite me but In June 2005 I saw them on stage and I was totally shocked..really even her voice sounded fantastically...

So maybe those who judge the band should first see them live cause I defenately changed my point of view and now I listen to them more and more.
But ofcourse it depends on a person.
19.05.2006 - 17:07
Torelli
@Lost One: Thank you so much for making that effort! The book seems intresting but I wouldn't lay my money on that, i guess band biographies isn't really my thing.
I could be wrong, put isn't this band becoming more and more commersial? I don't mind that they are getting popular but there is a certain risk that they will start creating music they think the masses want intstead of focusing of what feels right for them... To come out with a biograhpy so soon worries me a bit...
19.05.2006 - 17:49
Stoemp
Written by Torelli on 19.05.2006 at 17:07

I could be wrong, put isn't this band becoming more and more commersial? I don't mind that they are getting popular but there is a certain risk that they will start creating music they think the masses want intstead of focusing of what feels right for them... To come out with a biograhpy so soon worries me a bit...

I fear this too. They become more and more popular, even within the mainstream music, so I fear that they will evolve more and more towards more 'mainstream' music. I just hope I'm wrong, but although I like Consign to Oblivion very much, I kind of miss the grunts and screams that were more present in the first album. I just hope the grunts will be more present again in the next album. That would be a good sign again.
19.05.2006 - 17:49
jack sparrow
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.05.2006 at 11:24

Less Symphonic? I think it is just as Symphonic, i would say the first album has gothic songs yes, but the second album not really.
I was reflecting that on the latest album, i probably should have noted that.

well,i still think it is less symphonic.in my opinion the main thing which makes the metal music or Epica's music symphonic is the operatic vocal.and first album has much more of operatic vocal parts,clearly...you are right about choirs,but i see that style that simone sings(operatic or clean) is in front....
19.05.2006 - 18:17
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Symphonic refers to the usage of Orchestration and Piano (Keyboards), as well as the Choirs.
I think you mean the Choirs as separate, which i then agree with you, her voice isnt as backed up as it was on the first album. She had two foreground soprano singers helping, As well as two soprano singers from the choir... so thats a total of 5
19.05.2006 - 20:42
Daru Jericho
Epica are a great band! I saw them live last month and now own Simone's water bottle and one of Jeroen's drum stick.

Anyhow, great band. I love the atmospheric feel one gets from listening to the album. Simmone is an OK singer, well, better than average. However, at times it does sound a bit 'poppy'. Mark's growls are so so but I don't think they are necessary for Epica to be a good band. I love Coen Janssen's keys as well! Awesome.

Oh, and all you Americans are so damn lucky seeing them open up for Kamelot.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.