Metal Storm logo
Writing Vocal Melodies

13.08.2010 - 09:08
Shipwrecked
As a project for an AP English class in school, I've decided to write and record songs based on the themes and books we are going to read for the particular class in question. I've had experience in writing the music and lyrics, but I find myself a bit lost on writing at least decent vocal melodies. All I ask is if anybody with know-how in this area could provide some advice that'll assist me in doing this.

And I'm not in that big of a hurry, I have the entire school year to complete this project. I'd just like to come into it prepared
13.08.2010 - 22:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Shipwrecked on 13.08.2010 at 09:08

As a project for an AP English class in school, I've decided to write and record songs based on the themes and books we are going to read for the particular class in question. I've had experience in writing the music and lyrics, but I find myself a bit lost on writing at least decent vocal melodies. All I ask is if anybody with know-how in this area could provide some advice that'll assist me in doing this.

And I'm not in that big of a hurry, I have the entire school year to complete this project. I'd just like to come into it prepared

the key word is catchiness when you're talking writing vocal melodies. seriously, that's the only advise i can think of now.
17.08.2010 - 17:50
warrior_of_ice
Try and dissect the vocal arrangement(s) piece by piece. Firstly, start by creating a 'catchy' melody. If an idea pops into mind, hum it back to urself and record it using a tape recorder or whatever you have on hand. Dont try and make a melody based on a particular theme or song or whatever, that will only slow down your creative process. An interesting idea would be to really thicken up your vocal melody by adding a lower (or higher) vocal harmony after a bit of repetition, (final chorus perhaps?)
18.08.2010 - 00:52
Well, try to write lyrics, then imagine how you'll say it, then try to put melodies for words, don't write vocal line before lyrics. That's all I know, I've written vocal lines for online projects and worked really well.
28.11.2010 - 05:48
Alex Smith
Written by The Night Wisher on 18.08.2010 at 00:52

Well, try to write lyrics, then imagine how you'll say it, then try to put melodies for words, don't write vocal line before lyrics. That's all I know, I've written vocal lines for online projects and worked really well.

That's a good advise.
12.05.2011 - 18:57
terrorist
Thisi is great topic.And i've been listening Metal for 13 years now and i like bands who can make song were singnig is diffrent from the music.My example would be Dave Mustaine who sings one and plays something diffrent.And it is amazing after years of listenintg you realize that there are some cool riffs behind singing.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.05.2011 - 08:50
Sombre
Relax a little bit. Sing, and then sing more.