05. Dodecahedron
06. Pyramids
07. Out Of Time
08. Bloodoath
09. Ammonia Snow
10. Options - Going Nowhere
11. A Lifetime To Share
12. The End

Four or five years ago, it seemed to be fashionable to add progressive elements to metal music. Be it power, heavy, death etc. These days though, when even Iron Maiden climbs on the band wagon, it's becoming increasingly hard to stand out among the crowd and one may start to question whether such actions are wise in the first place. I'm glad to say that when done correctly, it is an emphatic "yes" as showcased by Danish progressive power metallers Anubis Gate with their most recent full-length - The Detached.

Intriguing album art aside, The Detached is a concept album that relates to a story about a race of intellect that has the ability to shift through time. So rather than the usual "dragon slaying / to the land of nevermore" lyrics from a typical power metal album, this is a lot more intelligent and even thought provoking. Coupled with the skilful singing and production of Jacob Hansen, this record is absolutely brimming with a myriad of emotions without compromising on heaviness. Complexity and variation is present without being pretentious or forceful and devoid of wankery. In fact, some of the songs are damn catchy and if you just listen to the song "Yiri", its chorus would just be resounding in your head all day. Solos are scattered around tastefully and unlike most concept albums, it is not crammed with annoying interludes which result in a very cohesive album.

Musicianship wise, Jacob shows us that he can hit the highs as well as any established vocalist with the ability to convey a multitude of emotions. Listening to the polymorphic harmonic a capella towards the end of "Out Of Time" always sends shivers down my spine. The guitars and drums are heavy which compliments the music extremely well whilst the keyboards conjure up the appropriate atmosphere without sounding sugary. If there's a complaint, it would be the not so prominent role of the bass, which seems to be a problem of most metal records.

In a nutshell, The Detached is a very well executed melodic album that should not be overlooked. Its varied and engaging song writing would appeal to progressive metal fans and those getting tired of the European power metal style.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Ag Fox | 24.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 75 users
24.08.2010 - 17:36
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Nice review, thanks for writing. I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best albums released in the last decade. It took me a few listens to fully appreciate, but even after liking the album for so long each new listen is still a compelling journey.

"the polymorphic harmonic a capella towards the end of "Out Of Time" always sends shivers down my spine." Yes yes yes yes! That is what caught my attention about this album in the first place
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.08.2010 - 17:53
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Omgomg a staff commented on my review!!! *switches off stupid irrational mode*

>I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best albums released in the last decade
if I were to compile a list right this instance for a top 50 of this decade, I would include this album too. As you said, it takes a few listens to appreciate and for me it's not common at all, but I'm still reaping the benefits even now (benefits as in musical enjoyment + pleasure)

happy that someone agrees ^ ^
----
loves 小巫
24.08.2010 - 23:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Anubis Gate are Danish, not Dutch... hehe

This is a really great album, from a great band who should get far more recognition than they get.

Love the review, I agree with just about everything you said.
24.08.2010 - 23:12
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2010 at 23:04

Anubis Gate are Danish, not Dutch... hehe

This is a really great album, from a great band who should get far more recognition than they get.

Love the review, I agree with just about everything you said.
Oh noes!! this is so embarrassing! I have to find a way to change it somehow D:
But yes! They do deserve more attention (like many other bands tbh)...

EDIT: damn... I cannot edit my own review >: Hopefully a kind hearted staff with a few mouseclicks to spare can help out

EDIT2: Hobbit Viggo saves the day!! whoop whoop
----
loves 小巫
25.08.2010 - 00:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2010 at 23:12

EDIT: damn... I cannot edit my own review >: Hopefully a kind hearted staff with a few mouseclicks to spare can help out

Haha!

I remember back when I made the ''best guitar teams in metal" thread, and put Shermann/Denner down as playing for King Diamond instead of Mercyful Fate by mistake. lol I realised my mistake immediately, but I had to leave it like that as it wouldnt let me edit it. I was hoping a mod would edit it, but as far as I know, the mistake is still there.

And yep, Anubis Gate really do deserve more attention. They are a really great prog band, but a bit like Vanden Plas, they're under the radar, and most people dont know them. Which is a shame.
25.08.2010 - 00:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2010 at 00:38

Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2010 at 23:12

Haha!

I remember back when I made the ''best guitar teams in metal" thread, and put Shermann/Denner down as playing for King Diamond instead of Mercyful Fate by mistake. lol I realised my mistake immediately, but I had to leave it like that as it wouldnt let me edit it. I was hoping a mod would edit it, but as far as I know, the mistake is still there.

And yep, Anubis Gate really do deserve more attention. They are a really great prog band, but a bit like Vanden Plas, they're under the radar, and most people dont know them. Which is a shame.
shhh... if you don't dig it out no one will notice XD
as I said earlier, many more bands deserve more attention as they are the ones that are delivering better quality music than their more established peers. Vanden Plas is a bit more typical in my book. They are good, but not better than good-good, at least as far as the new album goes. Christ 0 was solid though
----
loves 小巫
25.08.2010 - 01:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 25.08.2010 at 00:45
shhh... if you don't dig it out no one will notice XD
as I said earlier, many more bands deserve more attention as they are the ones that are delivering better quality music than their more established peers. Vanden Plas is a bit more typical in my book. They are good, but not better than good-good, at least as far as the new album goes. Christ 0 was solid though

It always gets resurrected every once in a while, so Im reminded of it on occassion. I think you should be allowed to edit things like that yourself though.

Well, the new Vanden Plas album wasnt as good as Christ 0, but that was a great album. I liked it very much. xD
23.10.2010 - 00:51
Rating: 8
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Another good album from anubis gate, i guess i liked A Perfect Forever more

Hits total: 4827 | This month: 7