Metal Storm logo
Favourite Kamelot Album

Original post

Posted by Susan, 17.05.2006 - 19:06
What is your favourite Kamelot studio album and why? Mine is The Fourth Legacy. It's a simple collection of amazing songs. I'd always rather listen to it than any other. The title track just blows my mind every time. Shadow of Uther, Alexandria and Until Kingdom Come are some of my all-time favourite Kamelot songs. This album has no weak tracks. Also, it made me notice how amazing Casey is behind the drum set. Wow.

Epica is my second favourite, it's special to me as my first Kamelot album. Karma is a very close 3rd.

The live album, The Expedition, is a really good live album but I decided not to include it in this poll.

Poll

What is your favourite Kamelot studio album and WHY?

The Black Halo
Epica
Fourth Legacy
Eternity
Dominion
Siege Perilous

Total votes: 140
20.07.2006 - 08:46
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Susan on 20.07.2006 at 02:03

Written by Joey Jo Jo on 19.07.2006 at 12:53
Written by Susan on 19.05.2006 at 05:54

Strange that Karma is leading this poll. If you go to the Kamelot forum people just seem to talk about Epica and TBH. Wonder why that is

The truly great albums are always realised in the long run.
People will look back 20 years from now and say something like "Whoa, a power metal album with symphonics that isn't pompus!"

I hope that's the case. They have gained SO MANY new fans lately who have only heard the latest 2 albums (or only The Black Halo in some cases). Fans who follow trends rarely buy "unpopular" albums from earlier in a bands' discography. (notice that now, after the poll has been up for some time, Epica is KILLING the competition with The Black Halo comfortably in second place).

What are you even talking about? Are you saying that Kamelot is not a popular band?
Power metal is gaining a lot of popularity with people who are vaguely into metal.
They were pretty popular even before Black Halo. So ofcourse Epica is a popular album.
So that makes it a better album?
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
20.07.2006 - 09:47
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
To me this is easy, I do like all Kamelot's albums but Karma takes the lead easily. I got into Kamelot around the time they released Dominion and thought that this band is going to be huge once everything drop in the places, couple of album passed and I liked both but there was still something missing, I don't know what but just something that would have blown me away.. untill 2001 when they relased Karma.

The album knocked me off right away, I do admit it's not the most complicated or musically talented Kamelot album but the atmosphere and the feeling is right in the place.. honest, straight power metal, the way i like it to be

Epica and The Black Halo are of course extraordinary albums but to me both are a bit too clean, a bit too produced.. I wasn't disappointed on them but they just didn't give me the kind of feeling Karma did, and still does.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
20.07.2006 - 10:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had only listened to their last four albums, and I have to say "4th Legacy" is a killer... it's incredibly fresh, I specially like the song "The Shadow Of Uther"...

About "The Black Halo", it had been difficult for me to get into...
21.07.2006 - 07:28
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Joey Jo Jo on 20.07.2006 at 08:46

Written by Susan on 20.07.2006 at 02:03

Written by Susan on 19.05.2006 at 05:54

Strange that Karma is leading this poll. If you go to the Kamelot forum people just seem to talk about Epica and TBH. Wonder why that is

The truly great albums are always realised in the long run.
People will look back 20 years from now and say something like "Whoa, a power metal album with symphonics that isn't pompus!"

I hope that's the case. They have gained SO MANY new fans lately who have only heard the latest 2 albums (or only The Black Halo in some cases). Fans who follow trends rarely buy "unpopular" albums from earlier in a bands' discography. (notice that now, after the poll has been up for some time, Epica is KILLING the competition with The Black Halo comfortably in second place).

What are you even talking about? Are you saying that Kamelot is not a popular band?
Power metal is gaining a lot of popularity with people who are vaguely into metal.
They were pretty popular even before Black Halo. So ofcourse Epica is a popular album.
So that makes it a better album?

No... you totally misunderstood me
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.07.2006 - 16:20
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I don't want to come off like an asshole, but did you even mean anything?
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
23.07.2006 - 03:15
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
@Black Wizard

*big sigh* let me explain another way. At first I was surprised that Karma was leading the poll. I was surprised because Kamelot seems to have a lot of new fans who have only heard the last two albums. So, it was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED that people were voting for an "older" album.

With me so far?

Good.

Ok, then I explained myself for you (as above) and said that they have lots of new fans lately who only buy the latest two albums. This is likely because the latest two albums were much more popular and reached a wider audience. I was saddened by the fact that trend-followinig-fans rarely buy albums that a band released before they were "popular." To further explain, that means I consider Kamelot to have gained a lot of fame after the release of Epica (and so many fans sadly don't buy Karma or any album before it). So, yes, they are "popular"' now. They have been "popular" on a wide, global scale for the past few years.

Still with me?

I hope so.

Then I said that the poll now shows Epica to be in the lead. I was not surprised because I doubt many fans have heard any previous albums..

Please tell me you understand now
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
24.07.2006 - 00:02
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Yes, but I don't get why you stated that as if you had no opinion on whether the albums said are better or worse. I mean, anyone can just state facts. This is a thread, not a bio.
----
- Orson Welles
26.07.2006 - 02:18
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Joey Jo Jo on 24.07.2006 at 00:02

Yes, but I don't get why you stated that as if you had no opinion on whether the albums said are better or worse. I mean, anyone can just state facts. This is a thread, not a bio.

I stated my opinions many times, especially in my first post. You're listed as being from the USA so I figured you're a native English speaker. Sorry about that mistake. We're getting way off topic, though. Re-read my posts if you're interested in my opinions about Kamelot's albums
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
26.07.2006 - 02:34
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Now you're saying I can't speak english? What a defense for expecting people to read every single post even though they practically force you to actually explain your opinion by COMPARING instead of just giving a list of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

EDIT:
This is your first post
"What is your favourite Kamelot studio album and why? Mine is The Fourth Legacy. It's a simple collection of amazing songs. I'd always rather listen to it than any other. The title track just blows my mind every time. Shadow of Uther, Alexandria and Until Kingdom Come are some of my all-time favourite Kamelot songs. This album has no weak tracks. Also, it made me notice how amazing Casey is behind the drum set. Wow.

Epica is my second favourite, it's special to me as my first Kamelot album. Karma is a very close 3rd."

You expect me to find reason in that? good drumming?
I find hard to believe you have heard Karma since nothing is mentioned on it from you. The only thing I can deduce (by critical thinking and common sense) is that you don't like the ballads simply because you don't think they did good ballads until Epica, even though you don't mention the album at all. I have personally spoken to Kamelot fans who have been with the band for more than 6 months or a year, and say that Karma is their masterwork, no comparasion. I can't do anything but agree.
----
- Orson Welles
26.07.2006 - 06:11
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
@Black Wizard: this is getting silly
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
26.07.2006 - 06:23
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
What is your favourite Kamelot studio album and WHY?

I like how that "why" is emphasized, I guess it only matters to people besides you.
I don't think a 6 year difference of age and a staff members position means that you can look down on me.
----
- Orson Welles
13.08.2006 - 11:52
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I couldnt bring myself to vote,because I found it too hard to pick between the Black Halo and Epica. Those to me are their best albums,however I couldn't decide which one I liked better....
13.08.2006 - 18:45
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I picked The Black Halo, because I love "March of Mephisto" and the keys are made by Jens Johannson! Epica goes on second for me.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
30.10.2006 - 22:19
Zenzero
Zenzero
I voted Karma but I think that The Black Halo is another great album!!! I like Fourth Legacy and Epica too!!!
26.11.2006 - 21:16
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Among the 5 albums I have (Epica, The Black Halo, Karma, The Fourth Legacy and Dominion), I vote for Epica, what a masterpiece!
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
26.11.2006 - 23:34
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Epica used to be my favourite album...but I've totally fallen in love with The Black Halo several times over, and it is far far superior to Epica on repeated (many repeated) listens...just an amazing album.
29.11.2006 - 02:16
Bitch Boy
My vote goes for "Epica", but "Siege Perilous" is very close to be my Kamelot favorite.
08.12.2006 - 15:04
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i really like kamelot since 4th legacy and i must say thats my favorite album i really like the songs, 4th legacy,nights of arabia,shadow of uther,glory and alexandria . also epica and karma are great too
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.03.2007 - 12:57
I went for Epica... This was a hard decision to make for several reasons. I really like when Kamelot fills out their prog/power label with their 5/4 time signatures and they are very prevelant with them on Epica. Karma and The 4th Legacy are tied with me as they both harken more towards the power metal scheme (but still proggy), but are both excellent albums with unique textures not found in alot of other bands in this genre... but the addition of a more symphonic sound with Epica and the track "The Edge Of Paradise" makes the decision for me!

Also the few (but still there) start-stop guitar licks on some of the Black Halo tracks (tho done in a tasteful progressive-manner) actually took me some time to get used to... but it did become a heavily played album for me.

I hope I conveyed my arguement fairly well, I meant to do the "power" and "prog" references to convey how fair the meter tilted towards one or the other.
24.05.2007 - 05:53
ShadowThief
Account deleted
My favourite Kamelot album is Eternity, and the only one I really listen to on a regular basis. I noticed they never include anything pre Karma into their setlist- wonder why that is?.
18.11.2008 - 21:04
Nego
Account deleted
My favorite power metal band

I Voted for The Black Halo.. close followed by Karma & The Fourth Legacy
11.05.2009 - 22:20
Land Of Doom
My favorite power metal too

I like Ghost Opera Album And The Black Halo

Espicially The haunting With Simone Simons
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
11.05.2009 - 23:52
Hellish Star
Eternity, no doubts. Reminding me to old Crimson Glory and Queensryche. Fantastic album!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
12.05.2009 - 22:52
Glower
I went with Karma cause I liked that a lot of the songs on the album were soft and fantasy-like. The Haunting was my favorite song by Kamelot, and if that song were on the Karma album, I think it'd be even better.
17.05.2009 - 00:44
BuzzPhil
My vote had to go for The Black Halo... Fantastic album! Goods songs, their bass using is incredible!!! Roy Khan voice is perfect like all their other albums but, I prefer The Black Halo... I don't have a particular reason but I love all their albums, including The Ghost Opera (who's not in the poll choices).
20.05.2009 - 02:16
Omegabyss
Account deleted
Im not a fan of the first two albums, 4th legacy has no real song that really connects, seign perilous is underrated to be honest, Karma is great but not THAT great... Ghost Opera is fine but lacks something...

Epica and Black Halo OWN!!!

I give Black Halo the nudge cause for me Epica seems to die down a TAD. And Black Halo flows... These are 2 of my favourite albums EVER
26.05.2009 - 08:26
Robstar
I choose the The fourth legacy Just because ! Kind of like it even though the band does not really dig me! Yeah Baby !
----
Nothing is unreacheable
17.08.2009 - 17:20
Ariel
Account deleted

Written by Susan on 17.05.2006 at 19:49

I agree, Kamelot has been pretty weak with ballads in the past. None are "bad" but I really feel they've become stronger with the last two albums. My favourite Kamelot ballads are Wander (from Epica) and Abandoned (from TBH)

Then there's Black Halo. I'm really surprised how much praise this album gets. It is really one of the lowest points in music I have heard, only pushed by the fact it was done a by a once actually great band. It's nice to see how they got comfortable in a relatively new trend to sell more records and appeal to fans of basically moronic music who think what they're hearing is truely evil. Just disgusting.

Moronic music? Truely evil? Where exactly are they trying to be evil? They are telling a sad and beatiful tale, i don't see any pseudo-evil posery here. You, sir, are an idiot. And TBH is definitely not their lowpoint. There are so many great songs, i don't know where to begin. The haunting has a wonderful melody, Abandoned is by far their most powerful ballad, Memento Mori is a symphonic masterpiece, the riffs in Moonlight and Nothing ever dies are tremendous...
And apart from the musical quality, this album has a lot more lyrical depth than the fourth legacy.

You are one of the persons who like to look down on others with their wannabe superior taste of music that they see as universally valid. You always favor the least popular works of an artist, claiming it to be best so you can stand up against the mainstream. You can't bear it when a former insiders tip receives wider recognition, and then bash the band for nothing. THAT is disgusting.
TBH has earned and deserved the popularity and the success it receives. It's a notable development. Maybe it doesn't fit in your narrow and purist view of metal, but please let others decide on their own, before making empirical statements like "a once actually great band". Spare us with your bullshit.
17.08.2009 - 17:24
Ariel
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.05.2006 at 19:16

I voted for Karma. In truth, it was difficult for me to decide between it and The Black Halo--which is definitely a step forward for the band and a truly brilliant record, but I do have one major problem with it. Those stupid filler tracks. I'm not sure what they were trying to do with them, but they really serve no purpose in the album. Karma is simply put together better and is the epitome of Kamelot in my eyes.

You really think the "filler tracks" don't serve any purpose? Then you don't understand the concept of the album at all. All the Interludes have narrative functions, they continue the story in between the songs. And they never really bugged me, after all, they are just a few seconds long, and TBH still offers enough songs to fill the CD. Awesome songs, actually. Listen more closely.
20.01.2013 - 21:27
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Epica, definitely. It has much more energy than TBH (and catchier too, Center Of The Universe makes you imagine already the overall quality of the album), and even the bonus track "Snow" is great! Besides, TBH requires a few listens to absorb the whole content.