07. Malconfort
08. Have You Beheld The Fevers?
09. Devouring Famine
10. Apokatastasis Pantôn

Top 20 albums of 2010: 2

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
Deathspell Omega's Paracletus was certainly one of the most anticipated Black metal releases of 2010. With a history such as theirs come high expectations. Expectations they do not live up to.

Whoops. Did I just spoil the ending for you?

No, Paracletus does not live up to the expectations, but that's no surprise really, when the expectations are so unbelievably high. There's no shame in that. Unfortunately, in my opinion Deathspell Omega also disappoints in terms of delivered insanity and intensity.

Read more ››
published 11.11.2010 | Comments (36)

Finally, after six years, the incredible trilogy started on Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice ends with this new album from French metallers Deathspell Omega.

Paracletus is among noteworthy Black metal albums of 2010 and can be summed up as a monumental construction of dissonance and darkness.

Disclaimer: I know that Paracletus is nominated in the MS Awards 2010. Please do not see something like to influence your voting decisions or anything... but more like a little reminder. Vote for it or not, that's not the point and it does not really matter. But please do not miss this piece of art.

White Winter Sun's picks | More picks ››

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 42   Visited by: 1046 users
26.01.2013 - 04:52
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Just got through listening to the entire trilogy in one sitting. Second time doing an entire run-through, intensely satisfying
26.01.2013 - 11:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 26.01.2013 at 04:52

Just got through listening to the entire trilogy in one sitting. Second time doing an entire run-through, intensely satisfying

Last night I went Diabolus Absconditus, Chaining the Katechon, Mass Grave Aesthetics, FAS, SMRC, then finished with Kenose. I only played the last track from this one, at some point. It was a good night.
10.07.2013 - 08:10
Rating: 9
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The last track is such a perfect song indeed... so much going on on that ending.
28.09.2015 - 20:31
Rating: 10
Zreenco

Such beauty. One of the most wonderful pieces of music.
26.04.2016 - 01:49
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I actually like this album a lot. It has a drawback of being less chaotic then FAS, and thus less challenging and less interesting, but it has an upside of being more cohesive and coherent as a result. A lot of subtle motifs reappearing throughout this album, on top of a a good ebb and flow to the songs, which maintain a good level of variance and transition very smoothly and fluidly between one another. Overall really good shit.
----
28.07.2016 - 18:37
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 26.04.2016 at 01:49

I actually like this album a lot. It has a drawback of being less chaotic then FAS, and thus less challenging and less interesting, but it has an upside of being more cohesive and coherent as a result. A lot of subtle motifs reappearing throughout this album, on top of a a good ebb and flow to the songs, which maintain a good level of variance and transition very smoothly and fluidly between one another. Overall really good shit.

Well written
01.10.2016 - 02:00
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Okay, I really don't care what other people say at this point, this has become one of my favorite albums. I thought I'd get tired of it, but it just keeps continuing to satisfy me over and over again. Is it more obvious and easy to listen to than some other DsO albums? Sure, but they succeed with everything I believe they were trying to accomplish with this record, and as I said before, the way they use recurring song ideas and melodies is pretty brilliant. FAS will still probably be my favorite from their Discography, but this is still incredible.
----
01.10.2016 - 09:05
God Alone

Still one of my absolute favourites after six years.
11.05.2017 - 19:42
solar

Apokatastasis Pantôn is such an intensively satisfying finisher
16.04.2022 - 07:05
Jack_Torrance

I agree, the last track is the perfect ending, it's like witchcraft.
24.05.2022 - 11:37
Jack_Torrance

Get this into the top 200
19.12.2022 - 13:40
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
It's funny how I much preferred this to Fas, both are similar in sound but uniquely different in structure, yet somehow this captivates me more. I quite like how this is chaotic and intesnse but at the same time has some great melodies, and the drumming is phenomenal.

Hits total: 21894 | This month: 55