08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 16 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
29.05.2012 - 07:12
Crucifux
Account deleted
It seems Opeth have continued their downward spiral into mediocrity. "The Devil's Orchard" was a good track at least.
01.06.2012 - 01:15
neiluria
Certainly, opeth style has changed, it changes radically, but it's still a very good album.
10.06.2012 - 01:58
Rating: 6
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I am a huge prog nerd, and this was a very enjoyable listen. I love how Opeth is a band that is willing to take risks and does not care whether they piss off the "true" metalheads who only cling to their music because it's "metal". I believe Opeth did a fine job with this album and I enjoy the ideas that they have presented here. While not my favorite album by the band (there are a few "meh" moments here and there) this album is highly recommended for those who enjoy progressive rock music.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.06.2012 - 04:12
Rating: 5
Slyfang
Not trying to jump on the hater bandwagon, but I just think Mikael is getting way too self indulgent. It's a shame to see someone squandering their talent like this. Not saying he has to keep doing death metal. If he doesn't want to, fine. I just think he can do way better than this
17.10.2012 - 02:55
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I don't understand why people hate this album, it's pretty damn good! Their more recent albums really kind of bored me, I felt they'd lost their touch.....this is the best they've done in a very long time! They are a band that can actually play their instruments, it doesn't have to be metal to be good you know "Folklore" might probably be my favourite track, maybe.
25.10.2012 - 16:18
Satyr73
I can not believe what I have just heard - a complete travesty of the larger group. Do experiments in the studio, but do not make this shit ... Just no words! Where is death sound combined with progressive elements? Fix, boys.
25.10.2012 - 16:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Satyr73 on 25.10.2012 at 16:18

I can not believe what I have just heard - a complete travesty of the larger group. Do experiments in the studio, but do not make this shit ... Just no words! Where is death sound combined with progressive elements? Fix, boys.

What death sound? The only thing resembling death metal in Opeth's music were the vocals.
13.12.2012 - 21:25
Erik M.
Written by Slyfang on 14.06.2012 at 04:12

Not trying to jump on the hater bandwagon, but I just think Mikael is getting way too self indulgent. It's a shame to see someone squandering their talent like this. Not saying he has to keep doing death metal. If he doesn't want to, fine. I just think he can do way better than this

I agree. This album is good in itself, but for Opeth standards it's definitely mediocre. He can do way better than this... However, I've kind of seen this coming ever since Watershed, which was some sort of transitional album (I always looked at it that way).

I honestly don't mind if they keep making progressive rock instead of metal, but they should at least keep three things:
- Their unique sound (Heritage does sound like Opeth, which is a good thing obviously)
- Complexity (which Heritage doesn't have, sadly)
- Variety (Heritage does have this, though it's the wrong kind: jazz-influenced for instance. I'm talking about variety like other albums had)
14.12.2012 - 01:06
Rating: 8
akvan
I think this album is a perfect kind of art,it's what that the art should be,it's more than just a little metal album,deep meaning of lyrics is a kind of phylosophical and theosophical art(i think),a good cause to think about ourselves and around,it's really what i wandt from aqt,specially progreesive rock,this change has started from watershed,i really like it:thumb up:(shit,type with mobile is hard and i'm too laZy to fix it:D)
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
14.12.2012 - 03:13
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Erik M. on 13.12.2012 at 21:25

- Complexity (which Heritage doesn't have, sadly)
- Variety (Heritage does have this, though it's the wrong kind: jazz-influenced for instance. I'm talking about variety like other albums had)

Complexity in what exactly? I don't think Opeth were ever a complex band.
And why would jazz be the "wrong kind" of variety? What kind of variety did the older albums have? Didn't get that.
19.12.2012 - 00:30
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I thought this was a great album. I understand where the hate is coming from, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed this release.
----
28.12.2012 - 22:29
ScnD361
This album is really a different Opeth's album, but IT'S a Opeth's album. I enjoy this very much.
17.01.2013 - 21:02
InnerSelf
proofread free
It's weird, Opeth was always love at first-listen for me yet this album didn't appeal to at first but with time I've grown to REALLY like it.
It seems that I'll always be a sucker for anything with the Akerfeldt trademark on it.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.02.2013 - 04:00
svartberger
Some Opeth fans logic: damnation- 8.8, heritage-7.4...lol
24.02.2013 - 06:10
Written by svartberger on 18.02.2013 at 04:00

Damnation was pure magic, it was Opeth´s way to do Prog-rock and sounded like Opeth (the voice, Chorus, guitars,lyrics, etc.). Heritage instead tries to copy Steven Wilson Style and create the songs with 1000 instruments , Heritage it´s a full copy of Pink Floyd and steven wilson, doesnt sound like Opeth.
24.02.2013 - 06:11
Every time I play this album again the Faith in Opeth comes down more.
01.03.2013 - 00:07
svartberger
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 24.02.2013 at 06:10

Damnation was pure magic, it was Opeth´s way to do Prog-rock and sounded like Opeth (the voice, Chorus, guitars,lyrics, etc.). Heritage instead tries to copy Steven Wilson Style and create the songs with 1000 instruments , Heritage it´s a full copy of Pink Floyd and steven wilson, doesnt sound like Opeth.

both albums were mixed by Steve Wilson and are naturally influenced by him so i still dont get your point
30.04.2013 - 16:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
At first I viewed this album with disdain, but I've come to appreciate it...it's certainly an acquired taste.

There are a few minor details I'm still not too fond (e.g. a few parts appear to be stuck together without regard for flow and structure) but as a whole this is an incredible release.
30.04.2013 - 23:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Heritage it´s a full copy of Pink Floyd and steven wilson, doesnt sound like Opeth.

Well I don't enjoy either band you stated so why do I enjoy this? That's right...because it's Opeth, not a Steven Wilson imitation
26.06.2013 - 16:03
(o> . <o> )

So Heritage is a Pink Floyd copy? I suppose you never heard Pink Floyd at all.
17.07.2013 - 14:03
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Starting to like this album, very different and hard to get into imo, but it sounds nice. Probably gonna buy this
22.08.2013 - 07:32
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I think this album has grown on me quite a bit over the past couple of years. Even though I've greatly enjoyed it when it first came out, I think it's gotten even better since then, and since Opeth's "classic" work has been heavily overplayed for me, Heritage feels like a breath of fresh air personally, I've always loved Mikael's cleans over his (still awesome) growls anyway.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.08.2013 - 11:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I hate it even more that I did 2 years ago.
22.08.2013 - 14:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daniell on 22.08.2013 at 11:19

I still have the trauma. Only listened to it once when it came out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2013 - 15:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.08.2013 at 14:02

I still have the trauma. Only listened to it once when it came out.

I listened to it dozens of times hoping that I'd finally get it, but to no avail.
22.08.2013 - 15:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

You use the word "hate" yet give it a good score of 7?
22.08.2013 - 16:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.08.2013 at 15:53

He hates how much he likes it. (?)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2013 - 16:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.08.2013 at 16:41

He hates how much he likes it. (?)

Yeah, maybe Heritage is some kind of masochistic thing for Daniel
22.08.2013 - 19:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.08.2013 at 15:53

That was my initial, hopeful rating
14.09.2013 - 16:17
bugsterscrow
I like the opening....

Hits total: 82379 | This month: 109