Metal Storm logo
1991 "Clash Of The Titans" Tour- Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth

02.09.2006 - 22:40
animal
I saw this tour with Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer down at the Prairie Capital Convention Center in June 1991 with Alice In Chains opening- right before they hit it big. After Alice's set got done, I actually saw Layne Staley walking around in the audience during intermission. Did anyone else here see that tour?
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
03.09.2006 - 00:00
Hellish Star
I sasw another Clash of the titans with Slayer, Megadeth, Testament and Suicidal Tendencies...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.09.2006 - 00:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellish Star on 03.09.2006 at 00:00

I sasw another Clash of the titans with Slayer, Megadeth, Testament and Suicidal Tendencies...

I saw those four on the European leg of the Clash of the Titans as well. Butt for the love of god I can't remember where it was in Holland.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2006 - 00:04
Hellish Star
In Belgium it was in Genk. About Holland: Wasn't it in Zwolle?
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.09.2006 - 01:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
How was it? Which band was the best?

I know some people who went to this and I'm very jealous.
03.09.2006 - 01:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 03.09.2006 at 01:44

How was it? Which band was the best?

I know some people who went to this and I'm very jealous.

Slayer was brilliant as usual. Megadeth was quite crappy I think that Dave was totally drunk and stoned that day I saw Megadeth on the Clash of the Titans. Testament was their usual good. And I was really impressed by Suicidal Tendencies (Psycho Miko was briliant) I always liked them but they just blew me away that day.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2006 - 02:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol I bet there was some major mosh pits at that show.
03.09.2006 - 03:30
Daru Jericho
What a lineup. I'm even an Alice In Chains fan. The European leg sounds awesome too.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

05.09.2006 - 08:34
Winter Death
Account deleted
I wasn't there, but it sounds like one of the greatest shows ever.
05.09.2006 - 09:31
Mega-Slayer
I have footage of Megadeth performing Rattlehad off of Arsenal,and its sounds pretty shitty,so i'm guessing Dave was wasted.Its weird though,Slayer and Deth together,I thought Kerry and Dave have had a never-ending feud?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
07.09.2006 - 00:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That sounds like one hell of a line-up...what a classic show that should've of been missed by any thrash metal fan anywhere...
07.09.2006 - 01:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
never did get to see it, but i recall reading about it in music mags back in the good old days. wished I could have seen a show.

At the very least, I still caught both Suicidal and Slayer in their respective primes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.03.2008 - 01:35
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I'm sad that I missed this tour!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
20.03.2008 - 08:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yes, I was there, I must've been 2 or 3 years old. The moshpit was awesome, I can't remember it that much because I was really drunk.

On a serious note, that tour is legendary. Too bad the chances of there being another one is next to impossible. Who headlined, Slayer or Megadeth?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.03.2008 - 10:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2008 at 08:46

Yes, I was there, I must've been 2 or 3 years old. The moshpit was awesome, I can't remember it that much because I was really drunk.

On a serious note, that tour is legendary. Too bad the chances of there being another one is next to impossible. Who headlined, Slayer or Megadeth?

Here in Europe that rotated.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2008 - 10:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by animal on 02.09.2006 at 22:40

I saw this tour with Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer down at the Prairie Capital Convention Center in June 1991 with Alice In Chains opening- right before they hit it big. After Alice's set got done, I actually saw Layne Staley walking around in the audience during intermission. Did anyone else here see that tour?

I never knew but I found out through watching the Get Thrashed documentary that Alice In Chains were only added because Death Angel had to pull out because of a tour bus accident which nearly took Andy Galleon's life.
So originally the line-up was even more awesome.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2008 - 18:05
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.03.2008 at 10:54

Written by animal on 02.09.2006 at 22:40

I never knew but I found out through watching the Get Thrashed documentary that Alice In Chains were only added because Death Angel had to pull out because of a tour bus accident which nearly took Andy Galleon's life.
So originally the line-up was even more awesome.

Wow, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament AND Death Angel would have been any thrash metalheads wet dream! I wish I was there.
----
THRASH!!!
24.03.2008 - 07:23
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
damn i wish a was around at the time.
i had a sub in my english class the other day who saw my slayer shirt and then told me about when he went to this tour back in 91.
haha he was the best.
28.03.2008 - 13:47
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
I was there. Alpine Valley, East Troy, Wisconsin, Saturday, June 15, 1991. I still have my Slayer shirt from that show, although it's worn incredibly thin and barely fits my fat old ass anymore.

Unlike Marcel, I did know Death Angel was originally booked and I was *pissed* when I arrived and found out AiC was playing instead.

Some highlights of the day:
* As we were entering the venue, some dude got into a fight with another dude and pulled a knife and shit got crazy (we hurried in to avoid becoming collateral damage)
* Alice in Chains sucked about as bad as they ever possibly could. Enough that I never listened to AiC voluntarily again until around 2002.
* Being an outdoor venue full of midwestern drunks, a sod-war broke out during Megadeth's set. Sod was flying everywhere and even making it all the way up to the stage courtesy of relayers. After being pelted constantly for two songs, a chunk about the size of a school textbook nailed Dave right in the side of the head. He finished the song, said "fuck you" and walked off the stage. He came back about 10 minutes later and gave a brief speech about how they were there to play for us, show some respect, etc., then wrapped by saying "if you see anyone pick up a piece sod, beat their fucking ass"
* Slayer was typically godlike, but the highlight for me was the drunk dude that started a fight with security about 10 feet in front of me. After several punches and kicks were exchanged, another security guard came over, they knocked the dude on his ass, one grabbed his arms, the other his feet, then they swung him like a ragdoll and heaved him over a wall about 8 feet high.
* Anthrax was in top form, but it was the Persistence of Time tour for them, so they played too much new and not enough old.

To the best of my knowledge, Anthrax headlined all dates in the States. If I recall right, on most of the actual CotT shirts the band names and logos are laid out such that Anthrax is on top with the largest logo, followed by Slayer with a slightly smaller logo, then Megadeth and AiC is basically an afterthought. Of course, on the individual band shirts (such as my Slayer shirt), the other band logos don't even appear, although it does say "Clash of the Titans" on the back.
28.03.2008 - 18:10
metaldazza
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 05.09.2006 at 09:31

I have footage of Megadeth performing Rattlehad off of Arsenal,and its sounds pretty shitty,so i'm guessing Dave was wasted.Its weird though,Slayer and Deth together,I thought Kerry and Dave have had a never-ending feud?

Yeah, who the hell hasn't Mustaine got a feud with. He probably argues with his stubble every morning.. 'why the hell are you there... I told you to get out of my band... stop growing on my face... "

To be more serious I think the feud started after this tour when King decided not to play in Megadeth and go back to Slayer... something like that anyway.
29.03.2008 - 17:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=31590] on 28.03.2008 at 18:10

Written by Mega-Slayer on 05.09.2006 at 09:31

Yeah, who the hell hasn't Mustaine got a feud with. He probably argues with his stubble every morning.. 'why the hell are you there... I told you to get out of my band... stop growing on my face... "

To be more serious I think the feud started after this tour when King decided not to play in Megadeth and go back to Slayer... something like that anyway.

Kerry King was never a full member of Megadeth. He only helped them out live a couple of times, that's it. He was already in SLayer at the time of helping them on stage.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2008 - 08:18
Paul13203
Account deleted
I saw the Clash Of The Titans Tour back in July of 1991. It was one of the best shows I ever saw in the past 20 years.
Alice In Chains was on 1st, though no one really knew much about them at the time. They put on a good set, maybe a half hour.
Slayer was on next. 3000 kids made the sign of the devil when the 1st song, "Hell Awaits" opened up their set and all hell broke loose in the entire floor ( and this was outdoors), I remember it was July 4th and kids were shooting off fireworks in the crowd and people were getting hit with them. The mosh pit was at its most intense for their last song "Angel Of Death".
After Slayer, Anthrax came on and opened up with "Caught In A Mosh". The crowd and the pit was pretty intense, but not as crazy as it was for Slayer. They put on a great show.
Megadeth closed out the evening, and by the time they came on the crowd was wiped out and the pit was not as it was earlier in the night. It was a great show, they opened with "Holy Wars" and ended with "Peace Sells".
It was a night to remember. A show of that magnitude will probably never happen again. i feel bad for all the kids who were too young at the time to witness this show. They had anticpated all kinds of problems at this concert so they tripled security.
I think Clash Of The Titans tour should of had Metallica in the lineup. That would of made it complete. I don't think though Metallica would of agree to switch spots every night, they would of wanted to close every night im sure. Instead of Alice In Chains opening the show it should of been Overkill, or Testament or Sepultura. The crowd would of went ballastic for them.
26.07.2008 - 20:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=34017] on 26.07.2008 at 08:18

That would of made it complete. I don't think though Metallica would of agree to switch spots every night, they would of wanted to close every night im sure. Instead of Alice In Chains opening the show it should of been Overkill, or Testament or Sepultura. The crowd would of went ballastic for them.

the guys of metallica and dave mustaine probably will never share a stage together for the rest of their carreers..
26.07.2008 - 21:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 26.07.2008 at 20:45

That would of made it complete. I don't think though Metallica would of agree to switch spots every night, they would of wanted to close every night im sure. Instead of Alice In Chains opening the show it should of been Overkill, or Testament or Sepultura. The crowd would of went ballastic for them.

the guys of metallica and dave mustaine probably will never share a stage together for the rest of their carreers..

I saw them together on stage in 1992 when Suicidal Tendencies (with Rob Trujillo), Megadeth, and Metallica played the same venue (Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.07.2008 - 21:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.07.2008 at 21:01

I saw them together on stage in 1992 when Suicidal Tendencies (with Rob Trujillo), Megadeth, and Metallica played the same venue (Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam)

i guess dave was either too wasted to remember that the guys he hates so much are next(or before?) or gave a rant lol
26.07.2008 - 22:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 26.07.2008 at 21:31

i guess dave was either too wasted to remember that the guys he hates so much are next(or before?) or gave a rant lol

Neither That was in one of his sober periods.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2008 - 18:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.07.2008 at 22:19

Written by Valentin B on 26.07.2008 at 21:31

Neither That was in one of his sober periods.

woah, Dave Mustaine sober and generally NOT being an asshole?? now i see why people said that he sold out with Countdown to Extinction
02.12.2008 - 11:18
Wolfer
Account deleted
Hey I was googling some old shit about this tour and came across your thread here. Funny you mention that because I was at the show in Houston back in 91 and my best friend RIP Dave LATER said he seen Layne walking around the crowd and didnt say anything, still had his long dreads or whatever, cool shit.
06.05.2009 - 13:49
tomslickstl
I was at that very same concert on June 1991 and have Layne Staley's autograph on the back of my ticket stub. Yeah he was walking around after his show and stopped right in front of us.
07.05.2009 - 23:27
Thulsa Doom
Account deleted
All right! I found the thread where all the old guys hang out.

Yeah, I saw the "Clash of the Titans" in Columbus, OH at the Convention Center, sometime in the summer of 1991. I'm not sure whether I would classify it as insanely awesome or ridiculously awesome. I guess both. Anyway, AIC went on first, they were OK. Megadeth played 2nd and they were amazingly tight. Slayer played third and pretty much destroyed the place. Keep in mind that they were still touring on "Seasons In The Abyss"..... aw, man... they were great. Anthrax played last and they were excellent and put on a good show..... but you just don't want to play after Slayer.

OK, here's a historical footnote. Did any of you also hit the "New Titans On The Block" tour later that summer? Sepultura, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death and Sick Of It All. Napalm Death had the most violent pit I'd ever been in at the time. It was like getting hit by an 8-foot wave. Sepultura were touring on "Arise", and they were amazing. Sacred Reich were great. I don't remember much of Sick Of It All's set, just Lou spouting off a bunch of stuff about "New YAWK Had Kaw".

Man.... 1991 was a good year for shows.