Metal Storm logo
What is the best song of Blind Guardian for you?

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 14.01.2011 - 02:33

EDIT:

Well, MetalStorm have said me that i have to provide more information in the opening post, so i will do it below:

Well, i have tried to make a list with a mix of objectivity and my personal tastes about Blind Guardian, so you can find songs that are my favorites from a particular album, and others that not. Besides this, also i have tried to include a song of each album, but finally i had to leave out "A Twist In The Myth" and "At The Edge Of Time" because i really have not felt that there is a highlighted song or near to the classic (for the moment =) ):

Majesty: Well, it is a great classic that i thought it was correct to put it.
Valhalla: The same that Majesty.
Traveller In Time: Well here, i had to put the best song from this album in my opinion, together with "Welcome To Dying" and "Lost In The Twilight Hall". What is the classic here? Maybe "Lord Of The Rings"? perhaps "Welcome To Dying"?
The Bard's Song - In The Forest: I prefer other songs from this album than this one, but in this case i had to put the great classic.
Another Holy War: Hard to pick one in this album, so i chose my favorite song.
Mirror Mirror: My favorite song from this album and also the great classic =).
Battlefield: My favorite song from Blind Guardian, together with "Mirror Mirror".
And Then There Was Silence: The masterpiece, (but still i prefer "The Soulforged" from this album).

Poll

Other
Mirror Mirror
And Then There Was Silence
The Bard's Song - In The Forest
Valhalla
Battlefield
Majesty
Another Holy War
Traveller In Time

Total votes: 214
17.03.2011 - 16:34
RavenKing
Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2011 at 11:44

Not a big fan of the band, but have listened to a fistful of their albums... "When Sorrow Sang" has pretty much been my fave song of theirs. love the intensity, particularly given the ebb and flow of the album. it follows up a sad death piece and interlude like an angered friend wanting revenge and riding into battle.

"When Sorrow Sang" is by far my favorite song on NIME. In fact, this song and "Mirror Mirror" are the only ones I like on this sucky album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.04.2011 - 00:49
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
I like "Into The Storm" from NIME.
06.04.2011 - 02:55
IDieForMetal
My favorite song of blind guardian definitely is "lord of the rings" becuase is a magical song.
09.04.2011 - 05:53
Rog-Mothoth
For now at least i love "Ride into Obsession" and "A Voice In the Dark" because of Hansi's voice and the awesome riffing on them
but about classics i love "Bard's Song","Time Stands Still", and "Nightfall"
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
12.04.2011 - 14:21
Refem
"Bright Eyes" !!!!!!
13.04.2011 - 19:44
Snockis
My favorite is among their thrashier songs, Banish from Sanctuary, and I absolutely love the 1 min long solo in the middle of the song.
14.04.2011 - 07:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant choose, but Mirror Mirror, Run For TRhe Night was lil my overplay list, now I realy cant choose, I adore every single song from early albums what band ever has written till Nigfall, so there is all songs till Nighfall + Miirod and Time song from that one
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2011 - 07:21
Void_Eater
Account deleted
We are following, the will of the one... Through the dark age and into the storm... Best power metal chorus ever. Into the Storm gets my vote.
14.04.2011 - 09:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 09.04.2011 at 05:53

For now at least i love "Ride into Obsession" and "A Voice In the Dark" because of Hansi's voice and the awesome riffing on them

"Ride Into Obsession" is an awesome song, not just one the better later Blind Guardian songs, but one of their best overall. "Tanelorn (Into The Void)" is another classic from the new album.

They have done some great thrashier tracks over the years, though "I'm Alive" and "Welcome To Dying" are probably my pick of the bunch.
14.04.2011 - 13:23
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.04.2011 at 09:02

They have done some great thrashier tracks over the years, though "I'm Alive" and "Welcome To Dying" are probably my pick of the bunch.

"I'm Alive" would be the one for me, even if it lacks the symphonic aspect the band had already started to develop at the time. But it features everything else and has that bit of "rage" that I love.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
16.04.2011 - 02:11
Rog-Mothoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.04.2011 at 09:02

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 09.04.2011 at 05:53

"Ride Into Obsession" is an awesome song, not just one the better later Blind Guardian songs, but one of their best overall. "Tanelorn (Into The Void)" is another classic from the new album.

Hell yah!!!!! But i havent heard alot of stuff from thier earliest albums but i"ll check them out
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
16.04.2011 - 05:07
Yasmine
I only know 3 songs on the list. lol Only have 1 album by them. I've heard most of them before but just can't get past the voice. And they're the only band I can think of that the vocals bother me that badly. The music is power metal goodness, based on that I'd say from the album I have, Born in a Mourning Hall.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
16.04.2011 - 06:57
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Yasmine on 16.04.2011 at 05:07

I only know 3 songs on the list. lol Only have 1 album by them. I've heard most of them before but just can't get past the voice. And they're the only band I can think of that the vocals bother me that badly. The music is power metal goodness, based on that I'd say from the album I have, Born in a Mourning Hall.

I would swear that you have two albums of them . About the vocals... i know what you mean, this same happened to me before of having your age, I didn't like his voice, but more or less at your age, when i listened the song "Battlefield" (at this time they released "A Night At The Opera") I said wow! this song is incredible, and suddenly i started to listen Blind Guardian, more and more, assimilating this music, and finally i finished in love with this band, believe me, it was a slow process .
16.04.2011 - 07:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 16.04.2011 at 02:11
Hell yah!!!!! But i havent heard alot of stuff from thier earliest albums but i"ll check them out

You definitely should! The early Blind Guardian is much rawer sounding, and speed metal orientated. But even in their early days, there was a certain extravagance and classical influence if you looked beneath the surface. Which was an aspect of their sound that has become more prominent as their career has gone on. "Follow The Blind" and "Tales From The Twilight World" are brilliant albums though, so there is certainly some great stuff to be found in the early Blind Guardian.

@Wrathchild: While "I'm Alive" definitely is stripped of much of the symphonic touches they were starting to become known for, it does have a certain mystical, majestic quality that elevates it above a standard speed metal song. I also love the raging aspect of it too, and while Blind Guardian don't hit the accelerator very often these days, when they do, they are still capable of producing some amazing speed metal. "I'm Alive" is just an immense song in every way, and possibly my fave BG song ever.

As for Hansi's voice, I've always loved it. Though I can certainly see why it could be an aqquired taste for some. It's very unique, and truly unique voices tend to polarise opinion much more than more standard voices.
16.04.2011 - 08:33
Yasmine
Written by Vikcen on 16.04.2011 at 06:57

Written by Yasmine on 16.04.2011 at 05:07

I would swear that you have two albums of them . About the vocals... i know what you mean, this same happened to me before of having your age, I didn't like his voice, but more or less at your age, when i listened the song "Battlefield" (at this time they released "A Night At The Opera") I said wow! this song is incredible, and suddenly i started to listen Blind Guardian, more and more, assimilating this music, and finally i finished in love with this band, believe me, it was a slow process .

haha, I might, I know I've heard them all though, I have a few too many albums to remember them all, I promise ya that. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
16.04.2011 - 09:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I just realized I didn't vote... Also quite convinient, seeing as a realized that Mirror, Mirror is, without a dobut, the indisbutable greatest power metal song ever, written. This is a fact, just as the Earth is round and orbits the sun.
16.04.2011 - 09:35
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 16.04.2011 at 09:05

I just realized I didn't vote... Also quite convinient, seeing as a realized that Mirror, Mirror is, without a dobut, the indisbutable greatest power metal song ever, written. This is a fact, just as the Earth is round and orbits the sun.

Now I hardcore disagree with something you said, we have to fight about this!
----
16.04.2011 - 12:39
wrathchild
Staff
If I had to choose the song in which I find Hansi's voice to be the most amazing, then that would be "The Eldar". But it's quite a special song in the band's discography so I can't really pick it as my "fav BG song".
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
16.04.2011 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.04.2011 at 07:51

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 16.04.2011 at 02:11

You definitely should! The early Blind Guardian is much rawer sounding, and speed metal orientated. But even in their early days, there was a certain extravagance and classical influence if you looked beneath the surface. Which was an aspect of their sound that has become more prominent as their career has gone on. "Follow The Blind" and "Tales From The Twilight World" are brilliant albums though, so there is certainly some great stuff to be found in the early Blind Guardian.

if ppl hasnt heard Old BG they havnt ghear anything because after Nighfall its not band, its some week ablazes or simply remiains , muiscaly, lyricaly to, nothing didnt work for me after Nighfall, and I start listeb BG alfabetical order and even nowdays if I do all be alfabethical till Nighfall
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2011 - 20:43
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 16.04.2011 at 09:35

Written by Guest on 16.04.2011 at 09:05

Now I hardcore disagree with something you said, we have to fight about this!

Alright then... *Puts on boxing gloves* Lets do this shit!
16.04.2011 - 21:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by wrathchild on 16.04.2011 at 12:39

If I had to choose the song in which I find Hansi's voice to be the most amazing, then that would be "The Eldar". But it's quite a special song in the band's discography so I can't really pick it as my "fav BG song".

Although I'm a rarity amongst Blind Guardian fans who doesn't consider NIME to be one of their best albums, "The Eldar" is definitely one of the few standouts on it, and one of my fave BG songs overall. It is a special and magical song, and yes, Hansi sounds amazing on it.
17.04.2011 - 21:42
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by wrathchild on 16.04.2011 at 12:39

That song is awesome (one of my favorites), Hansi dies here, he gives it all, seems like if he could lose his voice after singing this song, he sings it with all the soul .
23.02.2012 - 09:59
Codera the Great
Account deleted
While I love almost every song they've made, I voted for And Then There Was Silence, absolutely magnificent song.
29.02.2012 - 21:15
Written by Guest on 23.02.2012 at 09:59

While I love almost every song they've made, I voted for And Then There Was Silence, absolutely magnificent song.

Same here, both lyrics and music make this song a masterpiece of epicness.
01.03.2012 - 19:37
From these options i chose Valhalla. I also like Mirror Mirror, Time Stands Still and Nightfall.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
07.09.2012 - 01:01
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
And Then There Was Silence happens to be my favorite song of all time, so my answer is basically a dead give away. Absolutely epic and magnificent.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2012 - 07:55
bran
I have to choose and then there was silence, love the lyrics and the feel of the song but its close among another couple dozen songs
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
16.10.2012 - 17:35
Yossarian
Hi. I simply couldn't vote, cos I can't decide between those great songs in the list and I can even figure out another 30 or so great songs from their discography. Hard task really. Cheers
16.10.2012 - 22:40
Dinruth
Written by RavenKing on 17.03.2011 at 16:31

Written by Empyror on 06.02.2011 at 02:19

My favorite is the song "Nightfall." It might have my favorite vocal arrangements in a song ever.

I will never understand why so many BG fans have this song in high esteem. Imo, this song sucks and vocals are among the most annoying Hansi ever recorded.

just because of that statement I have to go for Nightfall .. no not just because of this satement .. it's just a brilliant song .. but then again there are so many brilliant BG songs out there .. tough question .. i think I' ll still stick to my initial choice ... just listen to THAT live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEm8jMC5Q8
21.01.2013 - 20:35
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Script For My Requiem. Even though I'm not very fan of Blind Guardian, Imaginations From The Other Side is my favorite BG album. I love every song in it!