Style: Ambient black metal
Release date: March 2010

01. Primo Vere
02. Reincarnate
03. Torch Bearer
04. Amethyst
05. L'Adieu Au Soleil
06. Disincarnate

A while back, I heard myself complaining to someone that I hadn't found any unique and cool Black metal in a while. I just couldn't find anything interesting for a while and that freaked me out. Where were all the cool releases off to? A party I wasn't invited to? But suddenly it struck me - I hadn't ordered from Paradigms Recordings in a while! Foolish, foolish me! If there's one label (there are more, but PR is a good example) that always releases unique stuff, it's Paradigms Recordings. (I'm not getting paid for this shameless plug, unfortunately). Whatever they release, on whatever side of their broad spectrum, you can bet your mother on it that it's either mind-blowing, flabbergasting or virtually inconceivable. (Unless you're trying to get rid of your mother, in that case, you're better off betting Dimmu Borgir won't cover Justin Bieber on their next release. It's more likely, I tell you. Actually, I think that's more likely than a lot of things.)

Murmuüre is Black metal made by aliens. If you're thinking of Oranssi Pazuzu now, you're wrong. These aren't cosmo-cruising, acid-dropping space-hippies grooving to an esoteric form of Black metal. If you're thinking of Mars On Earth, you're getting closer, but still lightyears away. These aren't martians on a brief visit, delivering a message of bleak, industrial decay (with old school Nintendo-styled blips and bleeps, of course). If you're thinking of Chaos Moon, you're even closer, but (you guessed it) still not spot on.

Murmuüre is Black metal made by aliens, aliens wholly inconceivable to our earthly paradigms. Shapeshifters, to our eyes distorted creatures, carrying an indescribable aura of both malice and redemption. Harsh, harsh Black noise alternates with colourless, infinite vistas of emptiness: moments of faint recognition are lost within waves of uncertainty. Am I pretentious enough for you at this point? Good. Truth is, Murmuüre is a mixed bag of (I've said it before) empty synthesizers, deep cosmic roars and flat, harsh noise. Plus crystal clear bells, buzzing mosquitoes and plenty more weird shenanigans. Cool beans, eh?

It's a Paradigms Recordings release in their true style: something unheard, something wholly estranging and something you really have to hear for yourself. Their releases aren't a guaranteed hit, but they're a guaranteed surprise and perhaps that's even better.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 21.01.2011 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 228 users
21.01.2011 - 23:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
As much as I don't care for Black Metal, this review makes me want to check it out. Lucas, this is a top notch review.
----
(space for rent)
21.01.2011 - 23:45
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I've never seen so much asskissing in your reviews Lucas

But getting serious now: interesting sound indeed!

Written by Dane Train on 21.01.2011 at 23:24

As much as I don't care for Black Metal, this review makes me want to check it out. Lucas, this is a top notch review.

I can barely call this stuff Black Metal though.... For me it's just a sort of Noise with a tiny bit of Black Metal. That doesn't stop it from being intresting though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.01.2011 - 23:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Now that you mentioned Chaos Moon, I am checking it out. Been missing your hilarious reviews of hidden gems (=
----
loves 小巫
21.01.2011 - 23:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.01.2011 at 23:45

I've never seen so much asskissing in your reviews Lucas

But getting serious now: interesting sound indeed!

Written by Dane Train on 21.01.2011 at 23:24

I can barely call this stuff Black Metal though.... For me it's just a sort of Noise with a tiny bit of Black Metal. That doesn't stop it from being intresting though

Sounds like something I would really get into. I mean my music of today: Ufomammut, Om, Grand Magnus, Sunn O))), Earth, Boris, and Ashen Mortality. So I am into noisy stuff.
----
(space for rent)
22.01.2011 - 03:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I'm going to give this a try as soon as I can. I'm more or less interested in the noise factor - it's a genre I've been trying to grow accustomed to but finding it rather difficult.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.01.2011 - 13:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sweet. Yeah I love this. It's odd though, in so many ways this really isn't black metal but in all the important ways it can only be classified as black metal. I think the noise in this record is defined as something that's just very odd to the ear, rather than endless feedback, but again calling it noise makes a kind of sense that seems natural.

Fucken' a for ambiguity.
22.01.2011 - 14:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.01.2011 at 23:45

The thing is though it isn't really noise, noise is shapeless relentless feedback. There aren't any points where the listener is overwhelmed by static sounds. This record has structure, even melody at many points and sections that could be described as noise, paradoxically. It doesn't conform to a lot of black metal paradigms but somehow shunting it into the black metal genre seems to fit it quite well I'd say. It could probably create its own personal genre though if one was inclined to.
22.01.2011 - 14:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Also: what's the opening bit from, those notes repeated three times? I'm sure it's from a TV series or something.
22.01.2011 - 14:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.01.2011 at 13:40

Dude, get your act together and start reviewing more often. Now!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.01.2011 - 14:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 22.01.2011 at 14:22

Written by Guest on 22.01.2011 at 13:40

Dude, get your act together and start reviewing more often. Now!

Yeah I know I've been shite the past few months. It's hard to balance uni work which just tires me out mentally on a daily basis and getting motivated to review stuff. I can't even find the time to find things to review.
22.01.2011 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.01.2011 at 14:06

The thing is though it isn't really noise, noise is shapeless relentless feedback. There aren't any points where the listener is overwhelmed by static sounds. This record has structure, even melody at many points and sections that could be described as noise, paradoxically. It doesn't conform to a lot of black metal paradigms but somehow shunting it into the black metal genre seems to fit it quite well I'd say. It could probably create its own personal genre though if one was inclined to.

I perfectly understand and agree with what you say. But I feel like it's better to call this Noise than Black Metal because I really don't see too much Black metal here... not even metal. That's whyt the opening lines seems really misleading to me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.01.2011 - 20:39
Yojimbo
I've listened to a couple songs on youtube and enjoy it a lot. Where can I get this album?
23.01.2011 - 20:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Yojimbo on 23.01.2011 at 20:39

I've listened to a couple songs on youtube and enjoy it a lot. Where can I get this album?

Are you trying to troll me? The Paradigms Recordings website.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.01.2011 - 15:32
Bigpaul
Just listened to it on thier website, reminds me of The Angelic Process in places. Tracks 2 & 4 are very impressive.
24.01.2011 - 20:25
Mikyz
Thanks for this, I hadn't heard of this album before reading this, It was an impressive experience and this isn't coming from a big fan of noise music, the esoteric mood managed to pull me in and give me a series of mental orgasms. I can't really explain it in words, it was something new for me. I'm glad I read the review. I also think that this is unmistakably Avant-Garde mixed in with some noise, post-rock and Black Metal, the mood it sets is similar to Alcest but with a more disturbing feel to it, the Dark side of Alcest or something.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
24.01.2011 - 20:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Consider me intrigued.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2011 - 14:47
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Just listened to it. I think my favourite is the last track. Definitely one of those albums that needs a few more spins. Thanks for the review
----
loves 小巫
26.01.2011 - 19:04
Ausgebombt
Can only describe emotions with "WOW".

This is truely amazing, I've listened to a couple of the tracks and it's a magnificent journey so far.

As I'm a newby to this kinda music, could anyone suggest similar hearings?
Would appreciate.

Many thanks for the review.
21.04.2011 - 21:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
"The 30 minutes long, self-titled release is possibly the first and last Murmuüre record.
I've put so much in it that it will be hard to match, and there would be no point in doing something more just for the sake of it."

Sad times.
05.11.2011 - 14:59
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
This review skipped my attention and it is now that I stumbled upon it. I will be checking this out as soon as possible
awesome review
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.11.2011 - 15:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 05.11.2011 at 14:59

This review skipped my attention and it is now that I stumbled upon it. I will be checking this out as soon as possible
awesome review

You're in for a treat. This little album is beyond immense.
05.11.2011 - 22:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Quote:
I'm going to give this a try as soon as I can. I'm more or less interested in the noise factor - it's a genre I've been trying to grow accustomed to but finding it rather difficult.

Can you believe I haven't checked this out yet? That quote was from fucking January. Yeesh.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 13:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 22:51

Quote:

Can you believe I haven't checked this out yet? That quote was from fucking January. Yeesh.

Shit Troy, get it together!
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2011 - 13:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 22:51

Quote:

I think there's a good chance you'll like it. This isn't noise black metal (or really even black metal), it's not especially harsh or difficult to listen to. It's just somewhat strange and unorthodox.
06.11.2011 - 19:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.11.2011 at 13:30
I think there's a good chance you'll like it.

I think there's a good chance I'll like it to, especially considering everything I've read about it. It just seems like one of those albums that takes forever for me to listen to for no reason other than I'm too lazy to check it out.
----
06.11.2011 - 21:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.11.2011 at 19:18

It just seems like one of those albums that takes forever for me to listen to for no reason other than I'm too lazy to check it out.

Without mention the album being barely 30 minutes long
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2011 - 21:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2011 at 21:20
Without mention the album being barely 30 minutes long

Exactly, right? That should be a big draw...like hey, stfu and go listen to it already, it'll only take you half-an-hour and you'll be thankful you did.

Maybe tonight. Or tomorrow night. Definitely this week.
----
06.11.2011 - 21:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.11.2011 at 21:21
Maybe tonight. Or tomorrow night. Definitely this week.

I'm calling bullshit here Troy... You'll have that album for New Year's resolutions
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2011 - 23:39
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 05.11.2011 at 15:49

Written by InnerSelf on 05.11.2011 at 14:59

awesome review

You're in for a treat. This little album is beyond immense.

If it wasn't for that secret BM albums thread I would've never discovered this brilliant gem. the kind of borderline noise stuff that I immensely enjoy

Credits of : Mr.Doctor and Lucas
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.11.2011 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by InnerSelf on 06.11.2011 at 23:39

If it wasn't for that secret BM albums thread I would've never discovered this brilliant gem.

You're welcome
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 7997 | This month: 20