Metal Storm logo
"Fuck, I wish they'd disband before it gets even worse"

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 05.02.2011 - 17:45
Some metal bands get very bad with time, wether because they lack inspiration or just know how to make money with the same formula, except we're not stupid and we can realize that (this is called "sellout", for those of you who didn't know).

Then, for your mental health or simply because you dont want the band's grand legacy corrupted any further, you wish it would split apart and leave a good memory...

If you had the power to disband ONE band in the world (known it's not ours to decide that...), which one would it be?
05.02.2011 - 22:23
Malevolent-Jim
I'd say Metallica but they're better off just touring and such.

Nightwish seriously need to rethink how they're making their music now...It just went downhill since Tarja left.Thats about it really.
05.02.2011 - 22:26
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I don't wish for any band to disband.
05.02.2011 - 22:26
DirkLizzard
Written by dunskii on 05.02.2011 at 22:17

I dont want to see any band just disappear, but if i had to choose one then i would probably say Dream Theater, their music is still amazing but since Portnoy left they can never reachieve that amazing sound they have with him on the drums.

I'm not putting them down at all as a band but i just don't think theyll be the same without him

I agree that DT will never be the same with Portnoy's departure. But maybe this is a fresh start for the other guys and maybe they are going to record some really new and interesting stuff, like they did in '92 with Images and Words.

If they disband, we will never now...
----
I really want to here some intelligent melodic technical brutal shredding relieved by some serene atmospheric unsettling moments
05.02.2011 - 22:27
Luneth
Account deleted
Surprised no one has actually mentioned Children of Bodom
05.02.2011 - 22:35
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Angra

They should have quit right after Temple of Shadows or perhaps right after Matos left.
----
05.02.2011 - 22:38
DirkLizzard
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 05.02.2011 at 22:23

I'd say Metallica but they're better off just touring and such.

Fully agreed. Once upon a time In Flames (Clayman) and Soilwork (The Chainheart Machine) were the beast masters that gave us beasts. Now, the masters have become old and stained. They should put an end to their misery.
----
I really want to here some intelligent melodic technical brutal shredding relieved by some serene atmospheric unsettling moments
05.02.2011 - 22:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by 4look4rd on 05.02.2011 at 22:35

Angra

They should have quit right after Temple of Shadows or perhaps right after Matos left.

I personally dont agree with that for two reasons. One, "Aurora Consurgens" is a pretty great album, even if it is eclipsed by it's classic predecessor. And if they'd split after Andre Matos left, they'd never have made "Temple Of Shadows", which I consider their best album. So no.
05.02.2011 - 23:04
Aebsi
I'd say Myrk, I really don't know why Bjarni just dosn't start a new band. The band is virtually a bus stop, he can't get a line-up that will stay. The band hasn't performed since 2006.
----
Just be Yourself
05.02.2011 - 23:20
Rikimaru
Written by John Barleycorn on 05.02.2011 at 20:15

The Simpsons.

Sorry for the off-topic remark but I just had to say that. If The Simpsons had ended after the tenth season or even earlier they definitely would have been the best TV series ever. Now it carries 12 years of dubious loud on its shoulders.

+1!!!!

Iced Earth. Damn, their early albums were really good but lately...
----
Rest my eyes from the world
This dying place, it's so absurd
05.02.2011 - 23:34
Empyror
I have two. Sepultura and Misfits. Sepultura haven't been the same since Max left and now there isn't any Caveleras left in the band. I understand that as musicians they still have a desire to make music with each other, but do it under a different name because it is different. Keeping the name only tells me you're afraid of losing the money that comes with it, and that is not a good reason to continue. And the Misfits incarnation now with Jerry Only as the singer/songwriter is just embarrassing.
05.02.2011 - 23:37
CreeperDeath
Cradle of Filth... Anything more to say ?
05.02.2011 - 23:39
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

Nightwish seriously need to rethink how they're making their music now...It just went downhill since Tarja left.Thats about it really.

Nightwish don't need to rethink anything, because Tarja didn't write anything. She made no music, no lyrics, no anything. She sang only and to be frank, since she didn't use her opera voice on the last two albums, she might as well have handed the mic over to Marco, who's always been superior right after Wishmaster.
05.02.2011 - 23:52
SoshianT
Mayhem shouldbe better in future because their fans require better songs and lyrics.
06.02.2011 - 01:20
nemo-nihil
One word: Korpiklaani.
06.02.2011 - 01:53
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Children of Bodom, definetely. They sound really really awful and awkward these last few years.
Korpiklaani. Not change anything, just slow down the pace of putting out new albums. First two were great, but last two or three sound like bad leftover songs.
HammerFall. "No Sacrifice" is SO bad.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.02.2011 - 02:09
sasquatch
Good thing nobody ever told pantera to stop trying in the 80's.
But really, if Cryptopsy doesn't ditch MgCachy i don't want any more pain thrust upon that name.
06.02.2011 - 02:09
mihalisvo
.... Metallica ....
06.02.2011 - 02:38
QibingZero
In Flames, a thousand times over. I mean, the most interesting thing they've done in the last 5+ years is that collaboration with Pendulum (another group who has seen better days, though a lot more recently!).
06.02.2011 - 02:47
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.02.2011 at 01:53

Children of Bodom, definetely. They sound really really awful and awkward these last few years.
Korpiklaani. Not change anything, just slow down the pace of putting out new albums. First two were great, but last two or three sound like bad leftover songs.

Hammerfall were always awful :/
06.02.2011 - 03:42
Richard
Elite
Written by [user id=107773] on 06.02.2011 at 02:47

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.02.2011 at 01:53

Hammerfall were always awful :/

I've never been into Hammerfall (sold their first album) but to be fair, when they started out they were playing the kind of traditional style which was rather unpopular at the time, so at least some respect is due for that, maybe?

Rather than mention a specific band, I think the majority (not all) of reunions aren't a great thing. It often seems to be that a band had a certain amount of success in the 80's or so and then decides to reform in the modern day.. and in some cases it seems a bit contrived, and some bands are better off staying dead rather than starting again 15 years later.
----
06.02.2011 - 03:50
Hellenic
It hurts me to say but definitely and without second thoughts "Metallica"
06.02.2011 - 07:18
Grody2themax
I dont think any of these bands should stop writing music. I think they should do somethingalong the lines of what Jari (Ensiferum/Wintersun) did and start a new project. I guess its probably just that he wanted to do something else and didnt want to write a new album without any inspiration. Bands like Children of Bodom and In Flames for example probably have enough money due to their success, so they could probably just start a new band, change the musical style, and play something that follows a bit different of a formula or allows for more creativity and inspiration.
06.02.2011 - 08:14
selken
Irreligious
I wouldn't disband anybody, even, for me the "sellouts" (I don't believe in that term) are a good thing, mainstream bands are and always will be important, and even, bands with a heavier past, like Metallica, are perfect for that, the kiddos met these bands on popular media, then they somehow manage to dig into more music, and so, I started with my music with Metallica, In Flames and Stratovarius back then in 1999 - 2000, Obviously, I've found legions of bands which I like better than those... I still enjoy their music, and if it weren't by these bands, I probably would be into only rock...
----
06.02.2011 - 10:22
BattleAxe
As much as I love Ozzy it might be time for the prince of darkness to hang up the mike. Linkin Park should also put an end to the garbage they keep putting out.
----
"Metal for life"
06.02.2011 - 10:53
grimm
Written by [user id=105293] on 05.02.2011 at 23:39

Nightwish don't need to rethink anything, because Tarja didn't write anything. She made no music, no lyrics, no anything. She sang only and to be frank, since she didn't use her opera voice on the last two albums, she might as well have handed the mic over to Marco, who's always been superior right after Wishmaster.

Yes, I totally agree! Marco is by far my favourite male singer, followed closely by Roy Khan. But anyways, Nightwish disbanding would break my heart...and like you said, Tarja leaving didn't really change them much anyways. I'm fine with Anette and Marco.
06.02.2011 - 10:58
Inshushinak
"Metallica" every time they release an album they ruin more of their past nice works like Master of puppet or ...and justice for all but after 1991 they getting more uglier after each album they released
06.02.2011 - 11:20
Nightwish, I can't stand their new tracks....
06.02.2011 - 11:56
Riscannon
I actually was going to say that lol

Written by [user id=107773] on 05.02.2011 at 22:27

Surprised no one has actually mentioned Children of Bodom
06.02.2011 - 12:37
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Metallica the winner
06.02.2011 - 12:46
JD
Account deleted