Metal Storm logo
Our new generation of "Metal Heads"

Original post

Posted by BrokenKnuckles, 21.02.2011 - 15:05
I havent been to a concert in a few years. I went last night to see Whitechapel and I couldnt help but notice all the preteen kids that are at the show. Non of them are paying attention to the bands. They all look like gothic Justin Beibers, way too much makeup, jewerly, drinking Monster enery drinks like its the coolest thing ever. When I was under 21 going to shows I went to see the fucking band and drink WATER because I was rocking in the pit. Anyone else notice this chain of mutants?
08.03.2011 - 01:08
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2011 at 00:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2011 at 00:10

So us older guys are not allowed to enjoy gigs the way we want?
You know what's annoying? Those sober under 30 year old kids that think the floor is all their's cause they are not as drunk as us old old guys and gals.

i am sure we as drunk as we are appreciate the music and live gig more than you youngsters do (yes, his sounds stupid so did what you just said)

what we have learned from this thread is metal is only for twentysomethings who take it SERIOUSLY and watch their shows sober and standing in place, arms crossed.

Fuck no, I don't know what kind of 20 somethings you know! I get loaded as fuck when I listen to Metal on any occasion. Then again a lot of my friends are in their 30s and even early 40s and still hang around with guys my age.

As for the OP, I know what you mean though. I don't really respect people like that who are just there to be part of something, although among that age group they are trying to fit in so bad a lot of the time.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
25.03.2011 - 15:53
Coté
I don't like to take it seriously either. I jump, scream, kick and push at concerts. I just don't like to have a drunk behind me with his beer almost falling over me, I think is the same as starting a moshpit at the bar.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
25.03.2011 - 16:17
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 02.03.2011 at 05:16

Testosterone and Elitism. Fuck Yeah!!!

You can fix that with some Spironolactone, and Estradiol, they'll cry like babies everytime they see a puppy.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 17:22
ADIresiduos
Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2011 at 11:46

Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2011 at 00:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2011 at 00:10

So us older guys are not allowed to enjoy gigs the way we want?
You know what's annoying? Those sober under 30 year old kids that think the floor is all their's cause they are not as drunk as us old old guys and gals.

i am sure we as drunk as we are appreciate the music and live gig more than you youngsters do (yes, his sounds stupid so did what you just said)

what we have learned from this thread is metal is only for twentysomethings who take it SERIOUSLY and watch their shows sober and standing in place, arms crossed.

Do tell me, what is the point of getting so hammered at shows that you barely know where you are? Are you there to see the band, or to unleash your inner caveman by moshing the fuck out of the crowd? I mosh too, but some people really take it to the extreme. I'm not there to beat up on people, I want to see and hear the damn band.
If you just want to get drunk, go to a party, or a bar, or simply stay at home and intoxicate yourself to your heart's desire.
You say you enjoy the show even more by moshing and drinking, but to me it sounds like you enjoy moshing and drinking, and not the show. Sorry if I'm wrong.

I agree. Personally, when I go to a concert, my main interest is to see the band playing live, to enjoy their music; I can still have a few drinks, mosh a little, but never to a point where it would seem that I'm just going there to get really drunk and to push anyone around.:banger:
25.03.2011 - 17:49
ADIresiduos
Written by Guest on 02.03.2011 at 22:55

Written by Guest on 02.03.2011 at 05:16

Testosterone and Elitism. Fuck Yeah!!!

Yeah that pretty much sums this up.

Unless there are like massive amounts, how can anyone be so bothered about what other people are doing at a gig? :s that completely astounds me. It's like, you go to the gig to do your thing, enjoy the music, mosh, get wasted, high, meet chicks/guys whatever. Why are you so bothered by what other people are doing? Lol.

Someone mentioned people who constantly mosh...fair enough, but people who mosh have designated 'moshing areas', it's not like them moshing is causing little chain reactions within the crowd .I personally love moshing, of course it depends on the tempo of the song, but the physical activity and sheer rush are incredible! If I was one of the people you're talking about, why should I sacrifice my entertainment for yours?

There will always be "new generations", so, just enjoy the music, the gigs... enjoy metal! in any way you want to, just do your thing and let the others do their's, and if you get pushed around a little bit, don't get mad, just move a liitle to a side and keep enjoying the show.
27.04.2011 - 06:19
soadbyob
Account deleted
I geuss thats what makes me weird, Ill be the one in the Slipknot shirt, but can tell you more about Slayer and Death than most tr00 metalheads
27.04.2011 - 06:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.04.2011 at 06:19

I geuss thats what makes me weird, Ill be the one in the Slipknot shirt, but can tell you more about Slayer and Death than most tr00 metalheads

Being able to talk about Slayer and Death (and Slipknot for that matter) is easy because both bands are well-documented and popular. It's no different than discussing Burzum and Norwegian black metal or Korn and the MTV metal scene. Stuff like that is common knowledge to real metal fans, so I wouldn't consider any of those people you're explaining things like that to as metalheads.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2011 - 06:26
Yasmine
I agree with Troy, anyone can tell me about Slayer, not that I want to know anything about them. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 06:36
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.04.2011 at 06:24

Written by Guest on 27.04.2011 at 06:19

Being able to talk about Slayer and Death (and Slipknot for that matter) is easy because both bands are well-documented and popular. It's no different than discussing Burzum and Norwegian black metal or Korn and the MTV metal scene. Stuff like that is common knowledge to real metal fans, so I wouldn't consider any of those people you're explaining things like that to as metalheads.

My point exactly, its always some emo kids talking to me about the lame Slipknot songs (Snuff or Vermillion Pt.2 for example), then Ill tell them they suck and bring up People=Shit or Eyeless, and they just stare at me. Then Ill bring in Raining Blood or Crystal Mountain just to confuse the hell out of them
27.04.2011 - 06:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 27.04.2011 at 06:26

I agree with Troy, anyone can tell me about Slayer, not that I want to know anything about them. lol

Ba-ZING.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2011 - 06:55
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Being sixteen myself, and part of the new generation of metalheads,I have no faith in the future of metal. My generation is being told that Suicide Silence and Slipknot is underground death metal, and my friends eat it up. Ten years from now, I doubt that metal as we know it will continue to produce new bands in any significant amount, seeing as hardly any young people, the people who would form bands, know of any metal beyond what's fed to them by the mainstream. Our new generation of metalheads think that this is metal.

And nobody tells them that they are wrong.
27.04.2011 - 07:17
Yasmine
Yea I keep hearing people your age telling me that Joey is the greatest DM drummer ever. lol
----
27.04.2011 - 07:21
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Sad but true. . Ten years from now, a metal bands skill will be defined purley by how many breakdowns are in their songs. Hell, it's practically like that allready for my generation...
27.04.2011 - 12:16
Yasmine
Nah, by how they dress, more black = more skill. :\
----
27.04.2011 - 14:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
You're wrong there Void. Just look at old school revivalist bands and bands like Mitochondrion and Ulcerate that push the boundaries of traditional brutal death metal.

Everybody who knows not to buy into the shit like Suicide Silence will continue to collectively laugh their elitist asses of at people who think they themselves are tr00 for listening to that kind of music, and real underground bands that play more pure forms of metal will continue to reach said elitist market. And that of course is only deathcore - death metal. So many other genres are so far above and beyond anything the scene kids can touch. The closest we've come is hipster black metal, which is still black metal.
----
27.04.2011 - 14:45
ANGEL REAPER
I think that the future of metal lies somewhere between the things written by Void And Troy.....Earlier in this topic i wrote that younger generations are all into commercial forms of metal,but i also stated that significant number of these young people are yet to discover the older and (by me) better stuff.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.04.2011 - 15:23
Yavanna
Come on, people, kids are just... kids, of course they are fools sometimes (but they think they are the owners of the universal truth)
I begin listening the mainstream things when I was 11-12. It took some time for me to get into "true" metal. Now, when I look back, I can see how stupid I was. Let's wait until they grow up and see what's become of them.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
27.04.2011 - 17:29
Beheaded Prophet
Account deleted
You know what, I'm sick of the "kids" nowadays complaining about how the "metal" on this generation sucks...There are still TONS of REAL UNDERGROUND metal bands out there making good albums, Through the use of the internet It's not that hard to find good bands nowadays.

You should explore on what the UNDERGROUND METAL bands in the world can do before yakking over and over again on why the metal of this generation sucks.

F*ck mainstream sell out poser bands! Explore underground metal bands!
28.04.2011 - 20:12
Ghostdancer
Who cares if they show up at shows? A lot of metalheads were little dorks when they were really young. The ones who don't get it will follow some new trend and stop showing up, but the ones who do get it will eventually explore different metal genres and become diehards like the rest of us. I find myself amused by these kids...the first time I saw a group of them I laughed long and hard at the combed-forward hair and the bewildered looks on their faces when the pit opened up.

I was a little dork at one point too...I thought I was a metalhead but I didn't have a clue until I started going to shows. I especially thought I knew what everything was about after I saw Metallica in the late 80s...but in 1990 I had my baptism by fire at a Death show. I showed up looking like a bewildered little dork myself. As soon as the first band hit the stage, the pit opened up around me and I was absolutely terrified! Looking back on it, I have to laugh. I probably looked as clueless as these kids do. Granted, my friends and I didn't walk in with some odd style of dress...but we were dorks.

But after that show most of us started looking for serious underground stuff. Going to one show changed everything. I saw Death in another city on the same tour a few months later...I think Pestilence and Nocturnus opened for them at that show, and it was a totally different experience.

One other thing is, I used to get really pissed off when styles would change once I became a diehard. I got angry when skate punks started showing up, I got angry when younger metalheads had short hair and I got angry when people started showing up to shows wearing shorts and baseball caps. After awhile I realized it didn't matter. It really is about the music. Maybe some of these biebers will never learn that, but some of them will and that's cool.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
22.05.2011 - 20:05
king_matt
What I really hate is when people at school are headbanging to stuff like Linkin Park and Breaking Benjamin. Now that is just downright ridiculous.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
23.05.2011 - 12:08
Coté
Written by Yavanna on 27.04.2011 at 15:23

Come on, people, kids are just... kids, of course they are fools sometimes (but they think they are the owners of the universal truth)
I begin listening the mainstream things when I was 11-12. It took some time for me to get into "true" metal. Now, when I look back, I can see how stupid I was. Let's wait until they grow up and see what's become of them.

Very understanding response. I would say that this is the best answer to the main post.
As long as they don't get stuck in that face, well, I think there's still some hope

Have some faith in the little ones xD
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
23.05.2011 - 16:41
J.B.D
Let people live their way. It's obvious that there are many idiots who claim to be the wisest of the metalheads but in fact they are poor. Accept that. There is no point in debating.
For me, the most disturbing thing is that the metal community complains about the condition of our beloved music nowadays. It's true, rock is not mainstream anymore but maybe it's for better? Only radio could play more music of this kind but everything else... Let it stay underground.
And the most amusing thing: that in the past there were a lot more kick ass bands, styles and no shit around. Yeah, if we think only about Zeppelin, Judas, Metallica or Motley and other groups that have no true successors. On the other hand, technical metal, progressive and death are in very good position now. At least in my country
23.05.2011 - 17:19
jazar94
The generation isn't the problem, the media is. Kill the guys covering the xcore garbage, and metal might live again.

OR we could just see what comes out of this stuff.. I mean, black metal fans and death metal fans hated eachother at first.
23.05.2011 - 17:21
jazar94
Written by Guest on 27.04.2011 at 06:55

Being sixteen myself, and part of the new generation of metalheads,I have no faith in the future of metal. My generation is being told that Suicide Silence and Slipknot is underground death metal, and my friends eat it up. Ten years from now, I doubt that metal as we know it will continue to produce new bands in any significant amount, seeing as hardly any young people, the people who would form bands, know of any metal beyond what's fed to them by the mainstream. Our new generation of metalheads think that this is metal.

This. As I said, kill the media.
24.05.2011 - 09:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok ok.. Wow, what does this all mean, every show I go to here... those kind of kids would get killed.
What do you mean all ghotic weird kiddies ? Haven't seen that in Ottawa... or maybe I wasn't really paying attention, must be a real
minority LOL here its all long haired idiots with beers and bands shirts ... nothing more, nothing less

Maybe you just don't go to the right show IDK LOL
Small scenes man... small scenes, don't go to big ones

Mainstream scenes are filled with filth small ones are filled with reals
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.05.2011 - 09:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
There are morons from every age demographic. Teenagers have tendency to express stupidity in a more outward, visible fashion. However, it's just an image that goes along with the music. Every music sub-genre seems to have that.

Kids being kids. That's the long and short of it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.05.2011 - 12:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast

seeing as shitty metalcore/whatever bands are constantly trashed in respectable metal forums, i'd say it's not that no-one tells them it's some trendy bullshit, but more because in their own social circle there's no one to tell them that Slipknot is not brutal technical death metal, that Metallica already released 4 albums before 1991 and didn't invent metal, that Attack Attack! are pathetic posers, etc.

anyway it's kids we're talking about here. when i was 15-16 i also thought it's not possible for someone to be a faster drummer than Joey Jordison, that the Sabbath album "Forbidden" actually featured Ozzy on vocals(because hey, he was the only vocalist Sabbath ever had right?) or made a "greatest guitarist ever" poll on a music forum with Ritchie Sambora and James Hetfield as 2 of the contestants and scratched my head when someone asked me why i didn't include Steve Vai or Satriani, and other stuff like that. when i was 12 i thought Limp Bizkit was the most hard-rocking band to ever exist.

my advice to everyone who posted here critically: look in the mirror, you'll see that you also commited metal blasphemies in your teen years.
24.05.2011 - 13:33
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I think you're always going to have teens just getting into metal for the whole "cool" factor. And these guys are going to be listening to your linkin park, korn and the likes. Which is good as I'm sure those bands need an audience as well.
The cool part would be maybe a couple of them would actually be interested by the music and not just by the whole metal culture and go on to get into more underground/extreme forms of metal. If you didn't have those stepping stone bands, you wouldn't really have people maybe getting into metal and searching for new music/bands.

I don't really agree with you on this. I think you're still going to have a significant amount of new bands playing good music. I'm sure 5-10 years back it was linkin park that is your current suicide silence. But you still have a shit load of good music coming out back then and even now.
When i say good music, its not just underground or extreme metal but music/bands that i like
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
24.05.2011 - 18:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Valentin B on 24.05.2011 at 12:59

seeing as shitty metalcore/whatever bands are constantly trashed in respectable metal forums, i'd say it's not that no-one tells them it's some trendy bullshit, but more because in their own social circle there's no one to tell them that Slipknot is not brutal technical death metal, that Metallica already released 4 albums before 1991 and didn't invent metal, that Attack Attack! are pathetic posers, etc.

anyway it's kids we're talking about here. when i was 15-16 i also thought it's not possible for someone to be a faster drummer than Joey Jordison, that the Sabbath album "Forbidden" actually featured Ozzy on vocals(because hey, he was the only vocalist Sabbath ever had right?) or made a "greatest guitarist ever" poll on a music forum with Ritchie Sambora and James Hetfield as 2 of the contestants and scratched my head when someone asked me why i didn't include Steve Vai or Satriani, and other stuff like that. when i was 12 i thought Limp Bizkit was the most hard-rocking band to ever exist.

my advice to everyone who posted here critically: look in the mirror, you'll see that you also commited metal blasphemies in your teen years.

Yes yes maybe I started by listening to posers, but nobody told me (eh dude, you're wrong) Actually where I am, most people are thugs or fresh lil morons in highschool, metalheads were something rare or simply not in my ''social circle'' like you said. I found all that a love in metal by myself nobody helped... yes yes, metal storm helped me discover more bands and other website... but I mean, I searched for them alone
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.05.2011 - 23:47
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Out here in California the new metalheads make it very hard to go see bands. They do all the ninja kicking and it sometimes ruins the mood. It is what it is though.