Metal Storm logo
MSv4 Is Online

The new Metal Storm version is now online, just in time for the closing of the MS Awards! Quite a few things changed in the layout, but hopefully it won't present a challenge - we tried to keep things simple.

Navigation menu is now on the top, with the login/user and search menus. Instead of two sidebars, there's now only one. Several things from the old layout are missing, but some of them will come back (New releases/Top 200 in the sidebar). Other things will be adjusted with time.

It's now also possible to register/login with Facebook. If you want to connect your account to Facebook account, go to the 'Edit profile' page and enter your Facebook ID there. After that logging in will be a single-click thing.

Many of you will probably miss the old Metal Storm and wonder if the changes were really necessary - but here at MS we continue moving forward, and this is the look of Metal Storm for the 2010's.

EDIT: New layout settings added: Collapse header and Hide scroller - you can adjust them in your Settings. Also, left menu panels are now collapsible, and the opened tabs are saved in cookies for the next session.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 28.02.2011 by Ivan

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 145   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 455 users
28.02.2011 - 20:38
Elodie Artour
Slania
What's with that awful new design?!

Anyways, now (at least) I'll be able to connect my MS account with my FB. Congrats on the new version, I guess...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.02.2011 - 20:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elodie Artour on 28.02.2011 at 20:38

What's with that awful new design?!

Anyways, now (at least) I'll be able to connect my MS account with my FB. Congrats on the new version, I guess...

I agree I dont like it at all, I doubt I would come here till get new PC , its hard to oriatnte and navigate here , all looks weird and hard to follow
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.02.2011 - 20:42
neonxaos
I hate to sound so negative at first, but the design is completely broken here. This box is placed to the far right on the screen, and there's basically nothing in the middle except the background and some bars that don't appear to fit. I'm running Firefox 3.6.13. Better try IE, I guess.
28.02.2011 - 20:43
MechanisT
Account deleted
Seriously man, the website was GORGEOUS just the way it was! Please PLEASE change it back!
28.02.2011 - 20:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Go fuck yourselves with this stupidest update i have ever experienced anywhere
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.02.2011 - 20:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I propose sending in screenshots (to me, my iniative so don't bother other Staff members with it), if you think the site is 'broken'. I'll be able to confirm or deny it.

Oh, and remember, change is always difficult.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 20:45
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Ellrohir on 28.02.2011 at 20:44

Ill second that
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
28.02.2011 - 20:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Hi. You may want to tone it down a little. We still have a moderation team, you know.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO there shood be member vote for such majoy change
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2011 - 20:48
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2011 at 20:46

IMO there shood be member vote for such majoy change

Amen to that.
28.02.2011 - 20:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lucas on 28.02.2011 at 20:45

Hi. You may want to tone it down a little. We still have a moderation team, you know.

you have just ruined almost 4 years i have spend as a Metal Storm member...i dont give a shit if i am banned or not...as i already said in shoutbox - this site is dead to me now
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.02.2011 - 20:49
jadawal
The Master Ivan already said this was the look for the new MS, he sounds pretty content with it. Maybe some variations can be done though, ecspecially when he notices the revolt of change. He's trying to make it more compelling for us users, thanks for the update there Ivan buddy!
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
It looks weird. Still getting used to it...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
Windrider
Raureif
W
T
F
28.02.2011 - 20:50
VPeter
This will take some time to get used to. So far it's okay. MS could use some fresh new blood though.
28.02.2011 - 20:51
MetalManic
This is very difficult to deal with. Before you could scan everything in a matter of seconds, several times per day. Now it looks like my grand mothers computer with uber enlarged icons for those with impaired vision. It looks like a generic blog site that anyone could make whereas before it was unique and sleek.

If you feel there needs to be changes made to the look of this site, please make subtle ones. This is a huge pill to swallow.
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 28.02.2011 at 20:49

It looks weird. Still getting used to it...

It is weird.
----

apos;'
[image]
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 28.02.2011 at 20:48

Written by Lucas on 28.02.2011 at 20:45

you have just ruined almost 4 years i have spend as a Metal Storm member...i dont give a shit if i am banned or not...as i already said in shoutbox - this site is dead to me now

You are welcome to join and leave at any time you see fit. You are not welcome to post 'go fuck yourselves'.
----

28.02.2011 - 20:54
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I'm not such a huge fan of the new design either. The items on the left are nice though, I really like that. What I don't like, is that everything is to the right. I hate having to turn my head to read or write. It should all be centered like it used to be and the design would be great.
28.02.2011 - 20:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 28.02.2011 at 20:54

I'm curious about in which years each of the following; v1, v2 & v3, were in use?

Msv1 was early one, I camne here when was Msv2 , IMO Msv3 arived in 2006 or 2007 , there was not major change between Msv2 and 3 maybe lil something
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2011 - 21:01
King Ajax
I don't like change! I loved the old design, I really miss the musician's birthday thing that was on the side.
----
Metal Up Your Ass!
28.02.2011 - 21:02
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I guess I'm in the minority, since I actually like the new layout. Of course it takes a while to get used to it, but in my opinion MS looks nicer now that there aren't a million things visible at the same time for instance on the home page. It's ok to be critical, but some people here really take it too far. It's not the matter of life and death...it's just a website.

So, all in all, good job.
----
You'll never walk alone.
28.02.2011 - 21:05
At first I was like "WTF?!?" but now that I looked around a bit, I think it's not that bad... liked the old one still better, though...
28.02.2011 - 21:06
I think the new design is quite nice. The old design felt a little dated, but it did the job very well.

I would however suggest to put "News" above "Supported event" & "Staff pick".
28.02.2011 - 21:07
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
"What have you done with MY Metal Storm? I am so butthurt right now, how could you do this to me?"
Tidy navigation! Images everywhere! Much better imo... a more intuitive design.
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 28.02.2011 at 21:02

I guess I'm in the minority, since I actually like the new layout. Of course it takes a while to get used to it, but in my opinion MS looks nicer now that there aren't a million things visible at the same time for instance on the home page. It's ok to be critical, but some people here really take it too far. It's not the matter of life and death...it's just a website.

So, all in all, good job.

Well its true but you dont know where to look,what to look, ppl who spend herer time evry day is important since I blindet know wher eto search its like someone take SAS solder pistol or sniper rifle and lil touch something and he dont know and fire and miss a target
----

apos;'
[image]
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
I don't mind the new layout, it's just going to take some getting used to. It's definitely not worth throwing a fit over...
28.02.2011 - 21:08
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by Author on 28.02.2011 at 20:43

Seriously man, the website was GORGEOUS just the way it was! Please PLEASE change it back!

Agree with this.

If something is working perfectly since so many years, you shouldn't change that.
28.02.2011 - 21:08
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Written by King Ajax on 28.02.2011 at 21:01

I don't like change! I loved the old design, I really miss the musician's birthday thing that was on the side.

It's still there, check out the tab "today" under shoutbox
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
28.02.2011 - 21:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Lmao at some people flying off the handle. same site, same content, same community, only with a facelift.

i realize people might think it drastic or awkward or weird at first, but don't be "that guy"... give it a week. check out the features and how they work now. chime back in in a week.

i know that i have been resistant to changes undergone by other websites i frequent, and within a couple days i'm usually happy with the new design. i imagine once the original shock wears off, many of you will think the same.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 7381 | This month: 1