Metal Storm logo
Albums You Have Heard In a Single Stint

04.03.2011 - 06:57
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Initially (4 1/2 years back) i took more than a month to get through an entire album.YES, Don't Scream WTF ????? Then i tried to improve my performance by reducing the time to a week. Yes ONE ENITIRE WEEK!!! It could've been because i often try to take in every element and liitle sound of the album in its entirety.Back then i haven't heard a lot of metal albums so it took me time to register the riffs and songs in mind. But now they fall in place quite quickly.
But the point is still i haven't heard many albums that i have listened from start to finish in a single sitting.I dnt know y but maybe because it gets monotonous pretty quickly for a guy like me who listens to 100+ genres outside of metal (Mostly classical,symphonic, rock,electronic,Alt & their respective sub-genres).I have come very close by finishing some albums within a day or two.
I will try listening to the some of the upcoming albums of fav bands in a single stint
The only album i have heard in a single stint till date: Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
So what are the albums u guys have heard in a single stint? and does it improve the overall experience of an album or not?
04.03.2011 - 07:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's not too often I don't finish an album the first time I start listening to it. For newer albums, as in albums by artists I'm familiar with, I usually check a few songs on MySpace to see if it's a continuation of their current style or if they change, and if that result is positive or negative. (Hence my high/ever-increasing vote count.)

For albums of bands I'm just getting into, I'll listen in one sitting. I used to listen to albums repeatedly to make sure I got everything in them, but I soon realized I more or less "got it" on my first listen, which led me to being a reviewer - long story short.

Back on topic though, I regularly listen to full albums on a daily basis. Some mornings I wake up and listen to a newer release like Ecailles de lune, other days I wake up and throw on some early Suffocation or Artillery. The only time I don't listen to a full album is if I'm not feeling a particular mood, in which case I shuffle everything on my Zune or just shuffle songs by a specific artist.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.03.2011 - 12:42
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2011 at 07:44

Back on topic though, I regularly listen to full albums on a daily basis. Some mornings I wake up and listen to a newer release like Ecailles de lune, other days I wake up and throw on some early Suffocation or Artillery.

I Hope i can listen like that.But as long as my parents are present in the scene, it is an altogether different case.
06.03.2011 - 13:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
If an album is great, good or even decent, I will always listen to thew whole thing, I only ever take a break if an album is unbearably boring or just plain bad. If I can listen to an album in one go and not receive brain damage from how bad it is, then that's what I will do.
06.03.2011 - 13:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I just listen to them from start to finish, whether good or bad It's part of the whole experience imo and sometimes certain songs make more sense when listened in the specified order of the track list.

But seldom hit the replay button right away though, because I prefer variety, so I usually listen to something else completely different
----
loves 小巫
06.03.2011 - 16:31
ANGEL REAPER
Some albums that I have listened in a single stint (and still do):
Bathory,The Return ,Hammerheart,Twilight of The Gods -Bathory
Those Once Loyal - Bolt Thrower
Burzum,Det Som Engang Var,Filozofem,Hvis Lyset Tar Oss -Burzum
For All Tid,Stormblast - Dimmu Borgir
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Tales From A Thousand Lakes - Amorphis
Dinamoneyezed- Amon Din
Century Child - Nightwish
......................................this list goes on.......................
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.03.2011 - 19:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Just like Troy and Ag Fox, I usually listen to all albums from start to finish. It is kind of a matter of "respect" to the band and methodology, especially if it is a prog album or when song flow to one another like Orphaned Land or Madonna's "Confessions."

Anyhow, you basically get a full picture when you listen to the album its entirety. But one thing I want to try to do some time is to pick a new album and listen to each song 3-5 times. That might improve the process of sticking them in my mind.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.03.2011 - 20:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Since I always carry my discman when I go out... It's easy too understand that almost 100% I listen to the entire cd. For the same reasons others have explained.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.03.2011 - 21:58
Mikyz
I always listen to the whole album in one sitting, sometimes more than once. For example, I listened to 40 Watt Sun's The Inside Room 4 times today and Obscura's Omnivium twice. But every listener has his own routine, mine is listening while reading/studying/showering/any other activity, so time is not an issue. XD
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
06.03.2011 - 22:08
RavenKing
When I listen to albums I have in my collection, it's always from start to finish (minus covers and live songs, if the album has them, because I don't care for this). I'm really not the kind of person to pick up a few songs from an album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
07.03.2011 - 00:51
Luneth
Account deleted
When I'm listening to an album for the first time I'll listen to it all in one sitting, most of the time. [took me several nights to get through Ayreons' Into the Electrical Castle ]. I don't tend to listen to albums all the time in one sitting though, not unless I know that it's an album I enjoy/am listening to for the first time.
07.03.2011 - 03:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Normally i'll have a full album on at a time, although every once in a while i'll go random by genre for the wildcard factor.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.03.2011 - 07:17
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 06.03.2011 at 21:58

I always listen to the whole album in one sitting, sometimes more than once. For example, I listened to 40 Watt Sun's The Inside Room 4 times today and Obscura's Omnivium twice.

OMG what the hell am i doing by taking a full week to listen a new album?????????? Urgent Metal Attention Needed for me Here!!!
07.03.2011 - 20:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I don't exactly get the OP. So, you're asking which albums we've listened to start to finish? Every album I've ever purchased...The odd exception if they're really atrocious.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.03.2011 - 06:06
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 07.03.2011 at 20:19

I don't exactly get the OP. So, you're asking which albums we've listened to start to finish? Every album I've ever purchased...The odd exception if they're really atrocious.

That's exactly what i am asking
09.03.2011 - 02:26
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
I've listened to all but one album I've owned so far in one stint.
09.03.2011 - 02:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
All of my albums of course. When new albums arrive I play them in their entirety and ALWAYS play albums in their entirety when I am at home alone playing music. It's when people are over that I play one or two tracks off an album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2011 - 04:19
Richard
Elite
I have heard many albums in a 'single stint' but it's not often that I continue to listen to them from the absolute beginning to the very end every single time. Even some of my favourites, like Morbid Angel - 'Blessed are the Sick' or Paradise Lost - 'Lost Paradise' - the intro tracks on those albums are just random scary noises that last a few minutes! Do I bother listening to that every time I put the album on - well, no!

I think the only important thing is that if someone is going to do a proper review of an album, then it should be listened to in a single stint in that case. Otherwise, just dipping into albums and checking out your favourite songs isn't exactly a big crime...
----
14.03.2011 - 09:06
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
I always listen to all my albums in a single stint. The only exception to this rule is, like Marcel, when i have people over or or when i know i only have 20 mins or so to listen to music before i have to do something. In these cases i'll just make a playlist on my mp3 player.

I also listen to every album 3 times in its entirety before i make a final opinion on it. I mainly do this because i have learnt with experience that some albums are 'growers' that fail to grab my attention on first listen. Additionally, there have been a few albums that have blown me away on first listen only to become very stale & repetitive very quickly.

At the end of the day we all listen to whatever music we like in the way that suits us best, but for me personally, the idea of not listening to an album in its entirety is very foreign.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
14.03.2011 - 20:57
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Nefarious on 14.03.2011 at 09:06
I also listen to every album 3 times in its entirety before i make a final opinion on it. I mainly do this because i have learnt with experience that some albums are 'growers' that fail to grab my attention on first listen. Additionally, there have been a few albums that have blown me away on first listen only to become very stale & repetitive very quickly.

At the end of the day we all listen to whatever music we like in the way that suits us best, but for me personally, the idea of not listening to an album in its entirety is very foreign.
Snap! But I usually space the three times out as well. Occasionally, there would be a fourth time when I feel there's something that's a bit buried underneath that I can almost make sense out of it.
----
loves 小巫
30.08.2011 - 16:47
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
All albums in my death metal list here on MS.
30.08.2011 - 16:55
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Hmmm, i sometimes play albums through, sometimes just pick songs out i really feel like listening to. Most albums have some form of filler material, or just weak songs, you can only listen to those so much imo.
30.08.2011 - 17:36
Glaucus
Unfortunately, I rarely have a chance to listen to music at home, but whenever I am on the road I always have an album play through its entirety.

Currently I have the Devin Townsend project CDs, Nevermore's Obsidian Conspiracy, and Blind Guardian's At The Edge Of Time in my car, and I alternative between them. Though, I've had particularly heavy emphasis on the Devin Townsend Project...
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
30.08.2011 - 17:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
When i go on rips to the states which is like 3-4 times a month i stop at the used cd store there, i never leave empty handed so on the way back i listen to it in the car , or if im on the bus i can ussaly fit an album or two in there.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2011 - 18:03
Sean 79
I listen to all my albums through at least once. Only then can i decide if it's worth listening to again.
01.09.2011 - 05:00
dr.doom
I listen to almost every album I buy all the way through in one shot. Usually in the car when I'm alone, because that's my "music appreciation" time.
But I have to admit, my ravenous hunger to build my CD collection gets the better of me quite often. I could go through my collection and easily find 20 or so CDs that I never gave any attention to because they just left a bad taste in my mouth on the first few tracks and I gave up. It usually happens when I buy used music because I only buy it because it's insanely cheap, and ends up also being junk.

There's a lot of value in listening to albums all the way through though. You find overarching themes and interesting bits in some songs that you usually wouldn't find or listen to by just cherry picking the songs you immediately like.
01.09.2011 - 05:21
MetalSpider
Every single album I get, I usually listen to it from start to finish. The only time I don't is if I really don't like what I'm listening to or if I end up getting a call to go out with friends or something like that (in which case I'll start again from the beginning or I'l just pick up where I left off).
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
11.10.2011 - 13:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
When I get a new cd I'll listen to it in it's entirety. Either in one go at home or if it's on the way to work and isn't finished by the time I get there (about 40-50 minutes) I'll finish it on the way home. I'll play an entire album sometimes, but usually I'm listening to my mp3 player (4216 songs and counting) so I get a good mix of songs. But yeah, the only times I don't listen to an album in one go is when it's in the car.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.10.2011 - 16:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I usually don't listen to albums from beginning to end...I have music ADD...and with progressive metal, I find it hard to listen to the whole album from beginning to end...especially Haken's new album Visions...I finally got through that yesterday in one sitting...
16.10.2011 - 15:26
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
My attention span is shortened from all the internet, so I used to to albums in two sittings, but now I've improved and listen to all of it at once *proud*
----
7.0 means the album is good