Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
08.07.2006 - 00:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 08.07.2006 at 00:22

@Kariasakis7: Maybe "experimental" is the wrong word. Some goth bands I adore for their intricacies and oddities but others just get a bit too weird for me. I'll find some good examples for you.

Dont ttry for me

But I can listen 60% of bands what are in www.gothmetal.net, others because thay aer posers, also I can lsiten bands like Sisters Of Mercy, Marrilion, but those expermental goth band, even if drink bottle Jack daniels or Tequilla down, Its be boring for me, better lock to wall and try see soem animals there, I cant listen those bands who play music like disco, locks liie vampire, and no posible tell sex, I dunno examples but there are some bands ok stupid exapmle but Marillin Manson, also soem Scandinavian goth bands like To/Die/For others, exept Beseech , becaus ethaya er freezed, freezed emotions, thay amd al goth bands wrote great lyrics but some bands has freezed emotions, try Gready Invalide from czceh republic, in czcech metalstoremers tread Koolaac post linkw hit video, I realy like it, maybe because that lady are mistery for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.07.2006 - 05:17
Pyro
Account deleted
Thrash, all the way, I think that subgenre fits the word "metal " the best.
30.07.2006 - 21:15
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I voted for Gothic, though many Gothic bands I listen to, aren't real gothic metal imo, these are bands like Epica, After Forever, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Elis, etc. For me they're more like Symphonic Metal.
After gothic, I love Folk/Viking and then Power.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
03.08.2006 - 06:16
Alouqua
Account deleted
well right now i'm hearing a lot of Gothic metal... but I also love Heavy, Folk, Power... and now I'm falling in love with Doom... Ok but, i hear more Gothic metal than another kind of music, because as always i'm in love with sadness and dark stuffs
03.08.2006 - 06:49
Wo0dy
Account deleted
mostly melodic or symphonic, stuff like Bodom,Kalmah,Norther,Dragonlord,Dimmu Borgir,Wintersun
05.08.2006 - 03:46
Bitch Boy
It was a hard decision, I finally voted gothic metal but I really love progressive metal as well. I voted gothic because I like the atmosphere of this genre and the female voices are beautiful. I think gothic metal is a very diverse genre, but I especially like symphonic gothic.
05.08.2006 - 12:53
lordz
IzZo
Death Metal.....
I love death metal mainly because of the vocals.....
They express anger, pain, gore, and power with their voices which is what extreme metal is all about!!!
Death metal vocals is perfectlly suted to the powerfull guitar anguish that is compined with the crazy Druming
05.08.2006 - 12:59
dark awakening
Gothenburg metal! though it comes from Death I think it's a genre apart.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
05.08.2006 - 18:08
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
I voted for Death Metal because it has a huge variety of styles and bands. It's just so agressive and raw but also so technical and sometime melodic. Only DEATH is real!!!
27.08.2006 - 08:29
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
DEATH FKING METAL

Just my personal opinion .. death is energy , death is soul , death is power , death is God. I just love death metal ...
27.08.2006 - 11:51
Hellish Star
US POWER like Helstar, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Jag Panzer, (old) Iced Earth, Metal Church, Icarus Witch, Deadly Blessing, Overlorde,....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
27.08.2006 - 12:42
Dam3k
gothic metal is a stupid tag... lol
----

27.08.2006 - 16:52
Windshear
Account deleted
Thrash for me! It's what brought me into Metal in the first place and it's helped me introduce many of my friends into metal.

I wish I could vote for two though, 'cause then I'd vote for Gothic Metal. Tristania, Octavia Sperati, The Sins Of Thy Beloved... just so beautiful...

Then there's Death Metal because I'm in love With the old Floridian scene... Ugh! This is like choosing my favourite food! I guess I dont hold any subgenre over any other.
31.08.2006 - 10:30
Ahto
i am into thrash metal for years... but most of genres became very important for me during my jorney of metal music... but afterall i understood that thrash metal is me!
death metal, power metal, heavy metal and folk metal comes after thrash
01.09.2006 - 13:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5217] on 03.08.2006 at 06:16

well right now i'm hearing a lot of Gothic metal... but I also love Heavy, Folk, Power... and now I'm falling in love with Doom... Ok but, i hear more Gothic metal than another kind of music, because as always i'm in love with sadness and dark stuffs

thank you for those nice worrds about DOOM, if you need soem guide into it PM me, but sadness and dark suffers its doom to, doom are most poetical metal genre and lyrics, well its so dark, so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
02.09.2006 - 01:40
DeadlySinner
Account deleted
Prog metacuz it's very deep,meaningful,and totally different from everything else
04.10.2006 - 05:30
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i voted prog metal but when i think about it i would have put in three separate votes:

prog metal
heavy metal
power metal

all great genres wityh differenet styles that make them unique and great!!!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
05.10.2006 - 03:17
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Right now at this time my favorite is Death Metal, becuase of the brutality, the speed, the power you feel when you listen to it, the brutal vocals, the gory gory lyrics, and of course the bloody album covers. Black Metal is right behind Death Metal, then Thrash Metal.
08.10.2006 - 18:38
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 27.08.2006 at 12:42

how else would you define Tristania, Draconian and Theeatre of Tragedy?
08.10.2006 - 18:49
Eight
Shapeshifter
Im voting for metal in total, (tho i can't) im listening at the moment all of the metal, and it's fits me right, exept black metal.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
08.10.2006 - 19:08
Dam3k
Written by [user id=5431] on 08.10.2006 at 18:38

Written by Dam3k on 27.08.2006 at 12:42

how else would you define Tristania, Draconian and Theeatre of Tragedy?

for sure something relationated with metal but not with gothic...
----

08.10.2006 - 19:38
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Hard Rock!!!!!! and Power!!!!!! Heroic true metal is my favorite too hehe, any style has it's good and bad points. i really don't like black metal pandas jiji because black metal (in my opinion) is a very closed and limited genre (heathen thems, satan, hate church) but i respect the musicians that make black imean , there are many good black metal bands, but no my favorite genre, i'm more relationated with Stryper, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian...and that kind of styles.
08.10.2006 - 19:40
Eight
Shapeshifter
Whats a Heroic true metal ?
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
08.10.2006 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Eight on 08.10.2006 at 19:40

Whats a Heroic true metal ?

good quasten

It can be bands like Manowar, Candlemass, Doomsworld ehh even Immortal if thay sng about heros who die in battlefield
----

apos;'
[image]
10.10.2006 - 18:28
?Bodomchild?
Oh man i like a lot of that sub-genre but the most ho i heard its thrash,power and viking/folk im not into BM and DM to much
----
asd
14.10.2006 - 05:20
Unholy_Emperor
Quite imposible to answer for me, I really like Heavy and Thrash Metal, also Black and Death and oen of my absolute fauvorites bands is Blind Guardian..

The only genre I don't stand is Gothic.
14.10.2006 - 14:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Impossible question! I can never choose between the genres ... I probably prefer Thrash metal but I am not sure.
----
15.10.2006 - 05:21
Invoked
Account deleted
I voted Black Metal, simply because it evokes feelings and relates to me more than any other kind of music (except for Sonata Arctica, who somehow write ballads about every single one of my relationships). Listening to BM at midnight is truly a rewarding experience.
17.10.2006 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 14.10.2006 at 14:50

Impossible question! I can never choose between the genres ... I probably prefer Thrash metal but I am not sure.

I agree its not possible chose genre, those who know me here knows what mjusic I listen and in my prof there are lil info about bands, so I just listen diferent geres and its depends of feelings and emotions, so i dont juge geres so much
----

apos;'
[image]
21.10.2006 - 05:53
Ripping Corpse
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2006 at 00:05

Written by Warman on 14.10.2006 at 14:50

I agree its not possible chose genre, those who know me here knows what mjusic I listen and in my prof there are lil info about bands, so I just listen diferent geres and its depends of feelings and emotions, so i dont juge geres so much

Yeah, it's really hard to choose, I like the faster stuff. Mainly thrash, but the only new fast stuff coming out is death metal and slayer. So I don't have very much of a choice.

But yeah, basically as long as it's fast.