Metal Storm logo
Axel Rudi Pell

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 12.09.2006 - 00:24
Axel Rudi Pell, the heavy metal band from Germany. Formed in 1988 and has been going since.
In 1998 the band had a big line-up change introducing new singer, drummer and keyboardist - and in my opinion the band has not been stronger then they are now.

Johnny Gioeli has to be one of my favorite singers, I love his voice - it fits so perfectly into the band who usually play more ballad kind of stuff. The backbone of their albums arent exceptionally fast stuff but it is thoroughly enjoyable stuff indeed.

They dont play a lot of live shows, or not from what I can see - but I am lucky enough to be able to watch them play at the end of this month and I am very excited indeed as they are probably one of my favorite bands now. I will make sure I get my albums signed too!

So anyone else who likes this band or has anything else to say about the band, pop a comment by and let us know what you think. Favorite albums, that sort of stuff..

I have to say, my favorite album is probably the album from a couple of years ago, 'Kings And Queens'
every song on that album is quite remarkable I think and is well worth listening to indeed!

Anyone who does not know this band but loves real heavy metal - they are well worth looking into!!
10.02.2007 - 18:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
no unfortunately - but I was at the first time they ever came to England at the last Bloodstock indoor festival - and they played 'Masquerade Ball' and such favorites there..
saw Mike do a drum solo and Ferdy and Axel keyboarding and guitaring away with solos - it was amazing stuff!! I would rank the third best band I have ever seen behind only Helloween and Emperor
11.02.2007 - 05:36
Daru Jericho
Haha, yeah...they cancelled. I should have seen them this past Thurs

Mystica was better than I was hoping actually. I'm kinda gutted Axel fell ill simply for not hearing the new material live.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

11.02.2007 - 06:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
he'll be back though.. and hopefully on a good day so i will go down and see them again too
it was just bad luck that it was on a really bad day this time university wise..

i can still say i have seen them all the times they have come to the country too haha
11.02.2007 - 09:05
anakin.ro
Account deleted
they don't come around my country...I hope to see them some day...I can't come to england or so (it's too far and expensive for me) but who knows in the future maybe I'll go to Germany to see him...Hell, I'll go to Bochum to see him play in his home town I have never seen a guitar player to play with souch a feeling and to compose souch emotional solos....just listening to Don't say goodbye right now....listen to that solo man..it sends shivers down my spine.Absolutely perfect....
11.02.2007 - 17:22
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes - there is definitely the possibility of him going to Romania sometime in the future..
he has all of a sudden started to get more and more popular so that allows him to do more show..

it was last year when he made his first ever journey to England to play - he just couldnt before because there wasnt the interest.
now he is getting more popular he might actually do more shows outside of Germany and go to countries he hasnt before
11.02.2007 - 18:57
anakin.ro
Account deleted
u realise that if he'll ever come to Romania I would be in the front yelling and singing all his songs )
12.02.2007 - 18:26
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Damn how I love this guys...I'm listening to the Rainbow cover "Temple of the King"...it's awesome
12.02.2007 - 19:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
i saw them do that live!!!!
'Temple Of The King' sounded so great!!!
"one day the hero the fox..." i was really surprised when they started it!
13.02.2007 - 08:01
anakin.ro
Account deleted
the best cover of the temple of the king.....and he also improvised those solo parts wich keeps his version apart from the original....
One day in the year of the fox
Came a time remembered well
When the strong young man of the rising sun
Heard the tolling of the great black bell

)
AWESOME !
Hey Baz, I think I saw you saying that you don't have The Ballads albums...it means u dont have this track from the studio...right ??Want me to send it to you ?
13.02.2007 - 11:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
no - i dont have any of the 'Ballads' compilations or the other compilation..
someone sent me a disc with all of the compilations on them though so I dont have them for real, but I still have all the bonus tracks that are on the compilations that arent on studio albums

haha - i like how all but one of your nine posts are in this thread..

i listened to 'Wild Obsession' the other day - and i LOVE that album!!
i still have 'Slave Of Love' in my head now.. haha
15.02.2007 - 20:05
anakin.ro
Account deleted
well, I like to talk about this band (even though it's just the two of us talking these days ). This band rocks and I think that they deserve more attention.Anyway let me tell you a nice story I keep in my mind regarding one of Axel's songs.
It was the summer of 2003, I had a friend working at an internet cafe in my hometown. I didnt own a PC at that time and I was spending my afternoons there from time to time. It was one day when I was at the main PC (she left home for 30 mins or so and I was in charge there). One man came and he was surfing the internet for a couple of minutes (judging by his hair and clothes I knew he was a metal head). The music was not too loud, I think it was Celine Dion or shit like that...it was my friend's playlist or so....once that track was finished I wanted to test this guy...so I turned the volume 3 times higher and started to play Carousel. After a few seconds of paying attention to this song, when the guy heard Johnny's voice he imediately turned to me and with his voice yelling he asked "Hey man what the hell is this ??This rocks !!"
So the next minutes I explained who's this guy and his band and he started to listen to them....I always think this is a nice story and it prooves that this music even if it came down from the late 80's or early 90's (many people say that about axel's music but I dont share this idea) it's a top quality music....
15.02.2007 - 22:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
ha yeh - I have been able to introduce a few people to Axel Rudi Pell but not a lot of people..
I introduced them to my mothers partner and he loves them now!! he was going through a huge Axel Rudi Pell stage - it was great

I dont know why people would say his stuff is not as good as his older stuff.. 'Kings And Queens' is quite possibly my favorite album.. but it is too hard to just one favorite album really..

one great feature of the band now that they seem to have a stable line-up - the band has been the same for nine years now, so they are probably going to stay like that for a while longer which is always good.. I dont like it when band members change around..
16.02.2007 - 00:10
anakin.ro
Account deleted
No, but sometimes they have to change the members so they can continue doing what they do...I also itroduced Axel's band to a few people and almost all liked them...except my girlfriend )
I guess her taste is different..I mean she doesnt hate them, she addmited that Johnny's voice is briliant, that Axel is an exceptional guitar player and the rest of the band are real pro's...but she doesnt like the fact that the songs are extremely melodious (but that's what I like about ARP:P)...she absolutely hates The Clown Is Dead
So whenever I get angry at her I turn the volume high and when she hears the piano from the begining she goes mad P
She likes most of my favourite bands.She likes Scorpions (Scorps being my all time favourite band since I was 9 years old...I grew up with their music, ARP is my second favourite band, but Axel is my guitar hero for sure)...
I also like Axel's old albums, right now I listen to The Clown is Dead (the new version with Johnny singing).It's briliant...I can fall asleep listening to this song with high volume....
16.02.2007 - 00:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahaha - I remember one night I got rather drunk and all I could sing was 'The Clown Is Dead'.. that was rather amusing. haha

Axel Rudi Pell are probably one of my all time favorite bands - behind Helloween and Emperor. and luckily for me I have seen all three of these live now

I dont know if you have looked back at the first few posts in this thread.. but there is two posts of mine with links to my Axel Rudi Pell setlist and a load of other stuff I got through the post..
you see on the setlist they did a lot of the new stuff from 'Mystica' live - but I guess that is just because they were touring off it

you should go on the ARP shop and get some stuff - the signed card was free and its so cool to have something signed by him!
16.02.2007 - 07:33
anakin.ro
Account deleted
OK, you're in England right What's the payment method and what are the shipping taxes ? I want to get something from arp shop....
16.02.2007 - 07:35
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hey but I forgot that the shop will be closed for the next months...YEA I would love to have something signed by him.
16.02.2007 - 20:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
umm.. I had to use paypal and get the money to them like that.. then they just sent me the stuff..
I cant remember really what happened but I think I had to email them or something because I am in England..
I got everything sorted out through email - they are nice people
I dont remember it being a lot of money for shipping.. so it shouldnt be all too much for you either

haha - I bet I was the first customer in the new show - I was going to the site day after day to see if it had opened yet.. and as soon as it did I was in there
24.02.2007 - 01:45
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hey I hope by now Axel's better...still no update on his website...do you know anything new about him ?
24.02.2007 - 02:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
nope - I've not heard anything new.. I just guess he is recovering at home now like the doctor ordered.

as well as the Axel Rudi Pell show being cancelled and rescheduled, the Saxon/Masterplan show I was going to go to has been cancelled and rescheduled as well because Biff has some infection of some kind..

I hope the Kreator & Celtic Frost guys stay healthy because thats the only other show I have ordered tickets for at the moment.. haha
everyone seems to be getting ill
25.02.2007 - 14:13
anakin.ro
Account deleted
yea, they must take care of their health...I hope he'll be better I need him Hey what do you think about Ensiferum's new release ?
25.02.2007 - 14:16
anakin.ro
Account deleted
sorry to ask this in here, maybe I should have asked in the Ensiferum thread
25.02.2007 - 14:36
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha yeh we should stay on topic - but the short answer is I think it is fantastic!!

I dont know if I have pointed you towards my review for Axel Rudi Pell's 'Magic' before.. I did it a while ago but see if you agree with with me and everything..
here it is:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=3477
06.03.2007 - 07:57
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hey Baz, I saw that review some time ago...one day I was searching for ARP reviews and I found yours too...thats how I found out about metalstorm.ee
Great review, this guy deserves more attention, because he really is a guitar hero...at least mine
I just watched some parts of the DVD last night (again !!) and I saw Mike's drum solo...man that was awesome, I think he's one of the best drummers in the world at this time...the solo was great !
06.03.2007 - 12:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
woo! thats great that it found you onto this site!

just by chance I happened to listen to 'Black Moon Pyramid' last night.. i havent listened to that one in a while but it was fantastic just like before..
brilliant stuff indeed - its a shame they dotn diverse as much nowadays with stuff like 'Aquarius Dance' and such..
09.03.2007 - 09:07
anakin.ro
Account deleted
damn I wanna know what songs will they cover for this new album ?I'm also thrilled about this new upcomming album...every since I was a kid, I wanted to hear "Forever young" as a rock song or a rock ballad. And this guys made my dream come true and also made their version even better than the original. Who knows what will they cover now.. I'm sure the album will be great.This guy is a genious and together with his band members they are a kind of "Dream team" I think.
09.03.2007 - 11:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes indeed! I tend to like covers of songs that arent metal songs originally..
the Helloween cover album 'Metal Jukebox' was really really great! especially because I actually knew a fair few songs on there before I heard the album
I hope Axel Rudi Pell can produce something interesting to listen to as well.. I am sure he can and will though
10.03.2007 - 11:48
anakin.ro
Account deleted
I'm sure too....It's going to be a great album, I can feel it already
12.03.2007 - 03:57
LightningWarLoli
Account deleted
I LOVE this band, but I only have the Kings and Queens. Can anyone merecommend any other albums?
12.03.2007 - 12:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Guest on 12.03.2007 at 03:57

I LOVE this band, but I only have the Kings and Queens. Can anyone merecommend any other albums?

woooooo! someone else finally joins this thead! hahaha
well apart from 'Kings And Queens' I would say by favorite albums were:
'Wild Obsession' 'Black Mood Pyramid' 'Magic' and 'Shadow Zone' but all of them are well worth listening to

the only one of them albums that has the same singer as 'Kings And Queens' is 'Shadow Zone' - but the previous singer is also very talented!
13.03.2007 - 05:14
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I am just loving the album Black Moon Pyramid (and especially the song Touch the Rainbow). I've only heard this album and Mystica at this point but have to say I much prefer the raw power and classic energy of Black Moon Pyramid. I prefer this vocalist too but it's definitely Mr. Axel's compositions that make it superior for my ear
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs