Metal Storm logo
Axel Rudi Pell

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 12.09.2006 - 00:24
Axel Rudi Pell, the heavy metal band from Germany. Formed in 1988 and has been going since.
In 1998 the band had a big line-up change introducing new singer, drummer and keyboardist - and in my opinion the band has not been stronger then they are now.

Johnny Gioeli has to be one of my favorite singers, I love his voice - it fits so perfectly into the band who usually play more ballad kind of stuff. The backbone of their albums arent exceptionally fast stuff but it is thoroughly enjoyable stuff indeed.

They dont play a lot of live shows, or not from what I can see - but I am lucky enough to be able to watch them play at the end of this month and I am very excited indeed as they are probably one of my favorite bands now. I will make sure I get my albums signed too!

So anyone else who likes this band or has anything else to say about the band, pop a comment by and let us know what you think. Favorite albums, that sort of stuff..

I have to say, my favorite album is probably the album from a couple of years ago, 'Kings And Queens'
every song on that album is quite remarkable I think and is well worth listening to indeed!

Anyone who does not know this band but loves real heavy metal - they are well worth looking into!!
13.03.2007 - 09:39
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hi there, welcome to this thread
I like all Axel's albums almost the same (of course I do, he's my guitar hero ) but I prefer those wich have Johnny's voice. I think he blends more with Rudi's music than Jeff did. But I think Jeff is also very talented and the albums he did with Axel are great. He's also very good live. I checked his solo albums and they're good also.
But as you said it's about Axel's compositions. He has his unic style that makes him stay so deep in my heart. I dont know what album is the best in my opinion.. I like all his albums the same...but I think my absolute favourite song is Ashes from the Oath from "Oceans of Time" album. Thats gust great...
23.03.2007 - 15:27
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hey what's up fellas ??
Nobody in here anymore ?
Just me talking with myself....sad....
23.03.2007 - 17:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha - I am still here.. I guess that other person just dropped in and then left again

I havent listened to any of Jeff's solo albums - are they in a traditional heavy metal style as well?
I doubt I would have any way of getting my hands on them anyway though..
29.03.2007 - 08:56
anakin.ro
Account deleted
No, they aren't so metal...they are a little soft sometimes (Axel's missing from them...so....), but Jeff has some great songs. I could send you some songs if you want to... Jeff is an absolute fan of Freddie Mercury so u can imagine that his music is influenced by him.
29.03.2007 - 13:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
no it doesnt matter - I would be after full albums. I have just heard a few Jeff Scott Soto stuff on myspace though and some samples on his official site

one thing really caught my attention though - there is an album on there 'Live At The Queen Convention'
and I am a huge huge fan of Queen as well so it was great hearing some samples, he sounded great doing all of them - '39 is always such a nice song..
I would like to hear the whole thing but I cant even see that on amazon to buy..
oh well

EDIT: actually you can buy it from his online store.. hmm.. I'm tempted
29.03.2007 - 17:33
anakin.ro
Account deleted
hey I was wondering...what's your favourite ARP solo ?
Tough question, isn't it ?
29.03.2007 - 21:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
favorite solo.. I've no idea. I dont pay attention to which solo goes with which song.. so I cant answer the question
..probably a solo from one of the songs I saw him do live as it will bring back the memories, etc. dont know which though
30.03.2007 - 09:17
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Yea, you're right, live solos are so great...I remember The Clown is Dead solo from the DVD, that's awesome. But as a memory I must stick to Ashes from The Oath...When I first heard that, I was amazed, I was thrilled, I couldnt believe my ears...I've said to myself "this guy is a wizzard, this cant happen" I'm so glad that he will record this cover album, and that his health got better. I've seen some live footage from Barcelona just a few days before he was hospitalized, and he didnt look to good to me...Let's hope that he'll be healthy in the future...
30.03.2007 - 10:43
Baz Anderson
Staff
ooh.. where did you see the stuff from Barcelona? is there some songs on youyube or something.. it might be worth me looking when I have time if they are
05.04.2007 - 09:36
anakin.ro
Account deleted
yes they are, I'm absolutely thrilled about The temple of the king there... You can actually see that Axel is not feeling so good...some of those images were taken hours before he was hospitalized.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZEqeR0ZI8A (one day before)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IMXgHfW42NY (the day he got serious ill)

Damn I like this band
06.04.2007 - 15:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes well at least he is getting better now..
I've not seen or heard them so 'Oceans Of Time' anywhere.. they didnt do it when I saw them and isnt on any live album either..

I just hope when they decide to come back and play here - the date is one I can get to.. it'll be an expensive and long trip to London but I'd do it again for Axel Rudi Pell (the only other band I have for is Emperor when they re-united)
07.04.2007 - 12:05
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Happy Easter man !
07.04.2007 - 15:44
Baz Anderson
Staff
Happy Easter to you too!

I'm looking forward to seeing the tracklisting for the new covers album.. hopefully I will know at least a few of the songs before.. I am used to hearing covers and not knowing they are covers! but not so much recently.. I guess my musical knowledge is growing wider
oh well we'll just have to wait and see.. I dont suppose it will be too long before we find out.. hopefully anyway..
11.04.2007 - 09:52
anakin.ro
Account deleted
I guess the Axel will tell us about what songs he is covering
I'm so curious, damn it !
18.04.2007 - 09:46
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hey did u hear about the competition ?
))
I hope he doesn't cover "I will survive"
19.04.2007 - 11:02
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahaha - or "Cold As Ice" hahaha.. well it would be interesting if he did!
theres no point in trying to enter the competition now though I guess.. someone will already have it
19.04.2007 - 20:06
anakin.ro
Account deleted
I already did, who knows....just for fun...I put Cold as Ice...
I'm so curious about this new album.Still a long way to go...anyway I'm also happy because Scorpions will come out with a new album so soon, and I listened some samples and they sound awesome. So, it's gonna be the year of my kind of music for me
20.04.2007 - 15:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes and the new Ensiferum album is the best of the year so far in my opinion..
but yeh, I really wasnt expecting anything new from Axel because we just got 'Mystica' last year.. I guess he wants to capitalise on his new found, growing popularity
24.04.2007 - 09:10
anakin.ro
Account deleted
I'm still curious... will he cover I will survive ?? )
17.05.2007 - 13:25
anakin.ro
Account deleted
hey Bart !!! Still alive ?
17.05.2007 - 17:04
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha - Barry
yeh, I'm still alive!! I gave up on that competition in the end.. haha
also last night I saw Masterplan (with Saxon) live and so I got to see mr Mike Terrana again.. and got to see him do another drunk solo just like he did when I saw Axel Rudi Pell last year.. haha it was great

theres not really been any more news lately on the Axel Rudi Pell side of things..
31.07.2007 - 18:02
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
You can download the 'Warrior' one-minute sample from from the upcoming "Diamonds Unlocked" at this location. Enjoy.
11.08.2007 - 10:54
anakin.ro
Account deleted
I did it since the 1st day it appeared.... It sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear the entire album...I'm gonna get it signed by Axel himself yeaaaaaaaaaaah
14.08.2007 - 18:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh, I heard both the samples there are available and they sound alright..
I will of course get this album but I'm not expecting it to be the best thing ever.. especially it being a covers album

Helloween's covers album is fantastic.. it would be good if this could get anywhere near that
18.08.2007 - 20:29
Alex Smith
I can't say that I am Axel's fan, but I like a lot of their songs. Even I can play guitar "Forever Angel"
05.09.2007 - 14:15
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A brand new audio interview with German guitarist Axel Rudi Pell conducted by James Allman of the U.K.'s Baconmusic has been posted at this location.
05.09.2007 - 22:28
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Jesus! Axel is (At least For me) The Ritchie Blackmore of this time, his technique is really amazing. I got to say that Johny Gioeli is my favorite singer in Axel's music.

My favorite album:

Shadow Zone

And the ballads of course.
17.09.2007 - 23:22
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Thanks White Winter Sun, I really enjoyed the interview. I'm a DIE HARD FAN OF AXEL RUDI PELL, for me he's (by far) the best guitar player in the world, not just for his incredible skills, but also for his music which is so cool and like the interviewer said "Lack of creativity...it's not the case with Axel". It was funny you know...I mean I recognize Axel by his playing but I didn't hear him speak english until now. I saw him speak german on his Knight Treasures DVD. He has this feeling when he plays guitar..he amazes me with every new song of him. And of course he has those 4 great guys with him. I really loved Jeff Scott Soto era, I think Jeff is a great singer, but Johnny Gioeli really is a top player, one of the best in the world. And don't forget Mike Terrana, Volker and Ferdy. Together they make the perfect band, at least for me. Hope to see this guys live someday...
Once again, thank you for the link.
18.09.2007 - 15:44
Baz Anderson
Staff
I am looking forward to hearing this covers album - I think I should be able to get my hands on it soon with some luck..
it wont be as good as studio album, but it will still provide some good entertainment
21.09.2007 - 22:06
anakin.ro
Account deleted
Hello again Baz, I'm sure the album will have the same style as any ARP album. Just that the lyrics will be different a little bit. But so far, the music is awesome as usual.