Metal Storm logo
Masterplan

12.09.2006 - 16:18
Baz Anderson
Staff
German 'super group' formed with Roland and Uli from Helloween, Jan from Iron Savior and Jørn from Ark.
Since then they have made two albums and Jørn Lande has unfortunatly left the band.

We havent heard a lot from Masterplan since Jørn left, but recently they have announced they are going to tour with Saxon!
The dates are here:

http://www.master-plan.net/tour/tour.html

I will definatly see if I can get to one of them shows, I would be more hyped up about seeing Masterplan then Saxon.

It does make me wonder though, who their new singer will be, and if they will be able to fill the rather large boots of Jørn Lande. I really hope the new singer is a success and doesnt sound like some guy trying too hard to be Jørn.
It always gives me confidence thinking about things like Iron Maiden made two albums before Bruce was introduced to the band, maybe some guy will come along and be perfect for the job.

Both of their albums are brilliant, and always worth a listen. I dont know which I prefer.
'Masterplan' is probably more of a solid album in my opinion, but 'Aeronautics' has probably my favorite two Masterplan songs on it: 'Crimson Rider' and 'Black In The Burn'

I sure hope it will have been worth keeping them in my favorites slot all this time.
I look forward to hearing from everyone. Favorite album thoughts or thoughts on the replacement for Jørn - all Masterplan related comments are welcome.
12.09.2006 - 20:56
SteTech
I think it will be very likely that the new vocalist will be someone well known within the power metal scene, though I fear it will be Michael Kiske.

I had no idea they'd be touring the UK with Saxon, I may check that out
12.09.2006 - 21:10
Baz Anderson
Staff
it probably will be someone reasonably well known, but i seriously doubt it will be Michael Kiske
he has said before that he 'doesnt do metal before' and all the rest of it..
i wouldnt mind if it was him, i like his singing but im not crazy about him like some people are. i dont dislike his singing either

but yeh! i really hope i will be able to get time off uni. and go adn see them!
13.09.2006 - 23:23
MetalSpider
Yeah hopefully the vocalist is good enough to fill Jorn's shoes.

Both of their previous albums were excellent. I also liked Aeronautics more than their self-titled, however it is also a great album.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.09.2006 - 00:18
pyroclasm
Account deleted
He left the band? o_O didn't know that. He's a great vocalist! I like him very much on the two Masterplan albums. My favourite is the selftitled album, with songs like Soulburn and Spirit Never Dies. I also like Crimson Rider from Aeronautics ver much. I also have the selftitled cd of Ark, on which Jorn also songs, but I dislike that album :s can't listen it through without feeling the urge to put another cd in. So I thought he fitted perfectly in Masterplan, it's a shame he left.
15.09.2006 - 00:41
okt31
Account deleted
Yes, Jorn is great. I have heard two of his solo albums too and he rules. In a way I feel him that he is modern day Dio. Lots of great bands in, quality performaces everywhere and well their voices have some similarity. Anyway, Masterplan I hope will kick ass with the new vocalist.. Btw I don't believe that the new singer will be a well known one, because all of them have active bands and Kiske just doesn't metal anymore (however he appeared nearly each year on a power metal record, Avantasia, Edguy and Masterplan come to mind).. Whatever, I wouldn't mind if he would be the one. But I don't realy think it's possible.. Masterplan needs a devoted singer who wants to be a full time member.. (Another comparison: Masterplan is modern days Rainbow - remember the story: Blackmore leaves and founds a better band than the original one, well I was much more impressed with the latest two Masterplan CDs than the Helloween's ones - mind you, I'm a Helloween fanatic!)
10.02.2007 - 06:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
well this thread died...

so Masterplan are back up and running now with a new line-up and new album ready to come out..
I will be seeing them supporting Saxon in a months time - I am greatly looking forward to it!!

let me know what you all think to the new single and album, etc.
I have heard the single myself but only once - so I cant really form a proper opinion. the one time i did hear it though, it didnt seem fantastic i must admit..
lets hope the album is great like the previous two though
11.02.2007 - 05:35
Daru Jericho
As far as new material is concerned I've only heard that one track they made a video for. It was alright but a lot of people reckoned they ripped of Ozzy's 'No More Tears' and I can understand why they'd think that (guitars..). Still, I wasn't disppointed and I can't wait until I get my hands on the new album.

Yeah, I'll be catching them live with Saxon too. So awesome (although TBH, I'd rather see Masterplan headline! Yeah...I said it). It will be interesting to hear what the Lande material sounds like with the new vocals.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

11.02.2007 - 06:13
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes!! that is what i am looking forward to hear!!
i really hope they do 'Crimson Rider' and 'Black In The Burn' and all my favorites.. it will be interesting to hear indeed

i dont know who i like more - Saxon or Masterplan - but i think Saxon are more worthy headliners given the amount of material they have. Masterplan would have to play half of what they have to fill a headline spot

i bet they will recognise me as well after our talk in the pub. Nibbs is from the same hometown as me so we got talking about that..
i told them i would see them at the Nottingham show - and that is the one i am going to, so we'll see if i get a funny look or not. haha
11.02.2007 - 09:28
Hellish Star
So, what do you think of Mike DiMeo in Masterplan? What I heard sounded very good although I never was a big fan of him in RIOT.
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
11.02.2007 - 17:16
Baz Anderson
Staff
ive still not taken the time to listen to any more new Masterplan - but one of the things that i loved to much about the two previous albums was Jørn's singing.. so a big part of why i loved Masterplan has gone.. i just hope the other reasons i liked them can make up..
11.02.2007 - 21:01
SteTech
I've heard Keeps Me Burning on Terrorizer magazine's most recent Fear Candy compilation, and it's a very good song. I've also seen the video for Lost & Gone. The song's decent, but I've never been that fond of MP's hard rock-style songs
15.05.2007 - 12:39
High and Mighty
Account deleted
I don't like Lost and Gone, it's a cold performance comparing it to Jorn's vocals. The former records with all the original members were terrific. This one is kinda cheesy and has lost style...
16.05.2007 - 00:10
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'm not really a fan of the song "Lost And Gone" but the rest of the album is great I think!
don't let that one track put you off.. the first track on the album is just like the old Masterplan! brilliant stuff!
17.05.2007 - 13:08
SteTech
Saw them on Monday, and was rather impressed with Mike's performance of songs from the first album. Could have done with a bit more variety though. Surprised they finished with Kind Hearted Light, didn't see that one coming, I let out a huge cheer as soon as the keyboard intro came in!
17.05.2007 - 16:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh! I saw them last night and it was so cool! I am not doing a concert review though so I've just done a little summary of the show here:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=23

I got to interview Roland and Jan from Masterplan as well and I have lots of nice stuff for you all to read about once its written up.. stuff about Masterplan and also stuff between Roland and Uli and Roland and the project with Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske
18.05.2007 - 05:43
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
It'd be interesting to see the band live, however, I'm not much a fan at all of the new CD, despite Mike's quality vocals. It's the songwriting the bores me a bit. It's a decent album that would make a new band proud, but these are seasoned musicians who I think could have come up with a more interesting approach and diversity in songs. It's just one step above your average power metal band now. Too bad, as I find their debut album one of the best produced and endlessly catchy power metal albums out there.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.05.2007 - 06:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 18.05.2007 at 05:43

It'd be interesting to see the band live, however, I'm not much a fan at all of the new CD, despite Mike's quality vocals. It's the songwriting the bores me a bit. It's a decent album that would make a new band proud, but these are seasoned musicians who I think could have come up with a more interesting approach and diversity in songs. It's just one step above your average power metal band now. Too bad, as I find their debut album one of the best produced and endlessly catchy power metal albums out there.

well if you saw them live then you would not be disappointed. last night they did one song from the new album, one song from 'Aeronautics' and the rest from their first album
I think Roland likes the first album the best, that is his favourite - as you will see by the way he answered one of my questions in the interview when that gets put up
18.05.2007 - 07:03
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.05.2007 at 06:29

Written by Jason W. on 18.05.2007 at 05:43

well if you saw them live then you would not be disappointed. last night they did one song from the new album, one song from 'Aeronautics' and the rest from their first album
I think Roland likes the first album the best, that is his favourite - as you will see by the way he answered one of my questions in the interview when that gets put up

That's an interesting setlist, for sure! Usually bands stick to a mix of all albums or to more recent work; very cool they chose so many songs from the first CD If I had a chance to see them live, I certainly would! Looking forward to the questions and answers
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.05.2007 - 16:52
Daru Jericho
I saw them live and was so annoyed they only played one track from Aeronautics, one of my favourite power metal albums. Annoying. I must catch them again. Mike was alright with the old material. He was apretty charismatic frontman. The show was good. I got a plectrum too.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

05.07.2007 - 00:04
Inlรฉ
I really like MKII and Aeronautics, I'm going to download (to try out) the debut.

This is mainly from Barry's recommendation though, I can't say I am too fond of that Spirit Never Die song, The only one I've heard from the self-titled, but I'll try not to judge the album on one song as that's stupid... I'll give it a fair run through though (loads of people seem to love it), and I liked the other two, especially Aeronautics.
05.07.2007 - 00:34
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Spirit Never Die" is an amazing song!!! how dare you not like it.. hahahaha
maybe you will grow into it or something.. haha, but really.. I think it is an amazing song..

if you like the last two albums then you will like the first one as well.. theres no doubt about that
05.07.2007 - 01:13
Bitch Boy
They're a really cool band. I like almost every Roland Grapow project but for sure Masterplan is among the best. My favorite song is "Into the light".
06.07.2007 - 19:26
Imraghil
really cool band. Jorn was a great singer. with the band im playing in we play "enlighten me" from there first album.
12.07.2007 - 01:19
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Masterplan was planed by Roland Grapow during The Dark Ride sessions. Ater their exit of Helloween, Masterplan became the new band of Roland and Uli Kusch.

The first work "Masterplan", It's a god debut, the voice of Jorn is great, the same as in the album Aeronautics.
08.01.2008 - 09:53
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Someone has already listened the Uli Kusch new band? It sounds misteriously like Masterplan...Specially "Far Beyond The Stars".
10.01.2008 - 16:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 08.01.2008 at 09:53

Someone has already listened the Uli Kusch new band? It sounds misteriously like Masterplan...Specially "Far Beyond The Stars".

what is the new band called? where can I hear some?
I know of Beautiful Sin - but that is all
10.01.2008 - 20:51
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.01.2008 at 16:54

Written by Vinnie R. on 08.01.2008 at 09:53

what is the new band called? where can I hear some?
I know of Beautiful Sin - but that is all

Ride The Sky is the Uli's new band, http://www.myspace.com/ridetheskytheband , check the samples, it sounds really like masterplan.
10.01.2008 - 21:42
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 10.01.2008 at 20:51

Ride The Sky is the Uli's new band, http://www.myspace.com/ridetheskytheband , check the samples, it sounds really like masterplan.

yeh! you're right, it does sound a LOT like Masterplan..

I like it though.. it sounds very nice indeed!!
10.01.2008 - 23:22
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
@Baz: It is mysterious dn't you think? Wo really wrote the songs of masterpan? Roland? Uli? Jorn? Very strange.