Metal Storm logo
The Stupidity Of Objective Reviews

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 10.05.2011

I've been batting around this column idea for a while, so fuck it, here it is.

The word "objective" gets bandied about a lot, usually it comes up when someone writes a review for an album and scores it lower than some insulted fan thinks it should be scored. Clearly the reviewer who might have only scored it "good" lacked the magic word? OBJECTIVITY.

What? You call new Iron Opeth a 9.3? It's clearly a 9.875!! OUTRAGE! UNOBJECTIVE!

(Side note: this also some times occurs when the reviewer 'overrates' the album, but I have never seen this brought up when reviewer and reader agreed on an album's worth? I guess if both think something is an 8 or 9, clearly that reviewer is objective.)

There is one fatal flaw in that logic.

A strictly "objective" review would be not only terribly boring, it would be basically useless to those interested in learning about the album being reviewed.

How so? Here so. In order to be remotely useful - and vaguely interesting - it has to be chock full of subjectivity. What follows below is an objective review of Metallica's Metallica:

___________________________________________________________________________________

In 1991 Metallica released their self-titled fifth album. The cover art features the band's logo and a coiled snake derived from the Gadsden Flag. Done in all black, it has caused this album to be also known as "the Black Album" and has drawn comparisons to the imaginary Spinal Tap album Smell The Glove.

At this point in their career Metallica featured Kirk Hammett on guitar, James Hetfield on guitar and vocals, Jason Newsted on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Lars Ulrich on drums.

Metallica consists of 12 songs and lasts over an hour. The band opted to have Bob Rock produce the album after his work on Mötley Crüe's Dr. Feelgood. Metallica spent four consecutive weeks at number one on Billboard 200, has sold more than 15,000,000 copies, and was certified 15x platinum (diamond) by the RIAA.

The songs are music with electric guitar played with distortion, bass and drums. There are guitar solos in all 12 songs. Hetfield plays an acoustic guitar on "The Unforgiven", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Nothing Else Matters".

Five of the dozen songs were released as singles and received radio play. They were "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", "Wherever I May Roam", and "Sad But True". Videos were also made for these five songs.

The song "Don't Tread On Me" features the motto of the Gadsden Flag, whose snake image was also found on the album cover.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I hope that was helpful. Limited to strictly objective analysis, devoid of anything subjective - such as opinion - I was handicapped in my ability to describe what this album sounds like or how it makes me feel. I cannot even use the word "metal" in describing this release as that is a subjective term in and of itself. A fellow staffer, who proofed that bit, stated, "It reads more like a fact sheet."

Well, in order to be objective, I guess fact is all you have.

An initial scan of this publication reveals it devoid of subjectivity... but I will have to run this by the Council of MetalGeeks for confirmation.

Ultimately, it is not objectivity, but subjectivity which gives the review any worth or entertainment value. I challenge any of you to look back at your favorite review (be it of a metal album on this site or a movie/book review elsewhere) and look into why you like it. My guess is in 99% of cases, it will be because the reviewer had the stones to dare to insert their opinion in to it.

Sure, it would be a plus if the guy or gal reviewing the work had one foot set in objective-land, rather than writing a review fellates the artist (with one hand cupping their balls and another plugging their anus) or bends the artist over and mounts them (without having the common decency to give them a reach around) ?

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. What matters is the reviewer's opinion - even if you disagree with it. Music is 99% a subjective experience dependent solely upon the listener. Not that this will matter. Team NERDRAGE will continue to froth at their keyboard and hamfist pound out ranting diatribes that call into question parental lineage of a reviewer for scoring something only somewhere between 'good' and 'very good.'

Written on 10.05.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 80   Visited by: 625 users
10.05.2011 - 22:10
silenius
Never ever neglect ze balls
10.05.2011 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
It's usually the second case that happens. When the rating is too high according to some moron and said moron just says that the reviewer is not objective.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2011 - 22:25
BrutalN00dle
The only time whining about not being "objective" should come into play is with a band's ideology, or past experiences with the people; i.e. "___ is an asshole therefore this album sucks". Otherwise a review is a writer establishing and defending their opinion.
10.05.2011 - 22:28
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Hey! This guy stole my glasses!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.05.2011 - 22:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Lol @Darkside Momo

On a more serious note, I couldn't agree more about the subjectivity "factor". I feel like I'm still struggling to find my own voice in them sometimes. I want to work on that.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.05.2011 - 22:40
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
The fact that people take metalstorm somewhat serious for being a metalzine and the resulting expectation to see a degree of retention instead of every other popular album rated above eight obviously doesn't play a role for this author. It's not the lack of objectivity that's annoying sometimes, it's the lack of seeing the bigger picture. Music is no science and nobody is making it such. But as the staff so boldly tells us whenever there's a chance, staff reviews is what this site is about. User reviews are a nice read (sometimes) but that's it. And then, some of those staffers, that obviously have to have a higher qualification to review music than their users, go ahead and give Nevermores The Obsidian Conspiracy the highest score known to this community. This album, according to this staff reviewer is as good as Megadeth's Rust In Peace and better than Death's Symbolic.
Yes, I went there. I said 'better' and 'as good as' althouth comparison is a subjective matter. But as you said, this is subjective.
----
10.05.2011 - 23:20
Windrider
Raureif
Well thank you, this says what actually should be clear in arts like music... And helps the reviewer who gets bashed by the comments haha
11.05.2011 - 00:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Windrider on 10.05.2011 at 23:20

Well thank you, this says what actually should be clear in arts like music... And helps the reviewer who gets bashed by the comments haha

funny thing i really don't care for the most part when i get bashed for a review i wrote.

it's the shortsightedness of calling into question the 'objectivity' of a reviewer that i despise.

it's one thing if the reviewer is flat out wrong about an album in legitimate reasons (say, claiming an artist wears corpsepaint and sings about satam when they don't) but most cases it's nothing more than taking one person's opinion about a third party's release personally.

if you fired up enough to hamfist froth all over the keyboard about how horrible a review is, odds are it's not the reviewer whose objectivity is in question. it's just a case of people wanting reviewers to parrot back their own feelings about an album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.05.2011 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by corrupt on 10.05.2011 at 22:40

And then, some of those staffers, that obviously have to have a higher qualification to review music than their users, go ahead and give Nevermores The Obsidian Conspiracy the highest score known to this community. This album, according to this staff reviewer is as good as Megadeth's Rust In Peace and better than Death's Symbolic.

Firstly, none of us have to have a higher qualification than our users to be a reviewer. Most/all of us were regular users before turning to reviewing. If any of the Staff reviewers have "reviewer qualifications", good for them.

As for an album receiving a 10 and thus scoring higher than *insert name of any album in existence*, that's where subjectivity comes into play. Obviously that reviewer feels stronger about that album than Death's Symbolic and as good about is as Megadeth's Rust In Peace. Is it really that hard to believe someone thinks Nevermore released an album better than Death or Megadeth? It's a personal experience. That's why some people give Opeth's discog 10/10 straight through, while others wouldn't give them the time of day and think they peaked in the '90s and still don't deserve anything close to an 8.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2011 - 02:05
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Metal Geeks pic made me lol.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
11.05.2011 - 05:49
Fallen
Excellent way of going about getting this out there. Thought I doubt that most trollers/nerdragers will even care enough.
11.05.2011 - 06:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is not an objective article >:[

11.05.2011 - 07:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fallen on 11.05.2011 at 05:49

Excellent way of going about getting this out there. Thought I doubt that most trollers/nerdragers will even care enough.

Oh well, I have no doubt more complaints about lack of objectivity will arise, luckily we can respond to them with a quick link instead of having to spell it out for them each time.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.05.2011 - 10:55
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Very nice moment of lecture, made my day
11.05.2011 - 12:13
Slayer666
Uhh... Bitter, it seems you and I have different views on the term "objective".
To me, "objective" means the reviewer does his best to describe, in full detail, both the pros and cons of an album. Every album has flaws, just as almost every (2% possibly excluded) one has its merits. Objective means you took time to write about both sides of the spectrum.
For example, I think anyone has full right to call ponderer's review of Axioma Ethica Odini completely non-objective, not only because he mentioned some things that were completely incorrect, but because he focused solely on nuking the album into dust, without mentioning any good aspects (and I'm sure even he found at least some).
The same goes for that review of Blackwater Park, only that reviewer described it as an album that God himself jizzes over. Not one word of critique, only praise. That's what non-objective means, IMO.
11.05.2011 - 18:00
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 11.05.2011 at 12:13

To me, "objective" means the reviewer does his best to describe, in full detail, both the pros and cons of an album. Every album has flaws, just as almost every (2% possibly excluded) one has its merits. Objective means you took time to write about both sides of the spectrum.
For example, I think anyone has full right to call ponderer's review of Axioma Ethica Odini completely non-objective, not only because he mentioned some things that were completely incorrect, but because he focused solely on nuking the album into dust, without mentioning any good aspects (and I'm sure even he found at least some).
The same goes for that review of Blackwater Park, only that reviewer described it as an album that God himself jizzes over. Not one word of critique, only praise. That's what non-objective means, IMO.

Well, that is only the definition of objectivity as far as journalism is concerned. You prefer reviews that follow the so-called pillars of good journalism ie. fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and nonpartisanship. This is a legitimate concern but ultimately, is a review really an example of journalism? The sole fact that it is printed and aimed at a broad audience does not necessarily mean it needs to adhere to the guidelines of journalism. Indeed, there are other ways of communicating with the audience. For example - through humor, or through metaphor. Since how we perceive and value music is by definition subjective, I don't think the reviewer should be limited to writing about it 'objectively' (to use your definition of the term).

What we try to do here at Metal Storm (and what many other print and web zines do) is to highlight the profile, personality and tastes of the reviewer for the reader so that they can find the review useful. If I, a self-professed fan of experimental music, give a derivative power metal album a very negative review, at least the reader can still think that "hmm, but I actually like traditional power metal, so maybe I'll like this even though this pretentious asshole doesn't". Would an 'objective' review achieve the same thing? Yes, probably, but it would be much less fun to read (and write).

The fact that people take metalstorm somewhat serious for being a metalzine and the resulting expectation to see a degree of retention instead of every other popular album rated above eight obviously doesn't play a role for this author. It's not the lack of objectivity that's annoying sometimes, it's the lack of seeing the bigger picture. Music is no science and nobody is making it such. But as the staff so boldly tells us whenever there's a chance, staff reviews is what this site is about. User reviews are a nice read (sometimes) but that's it. And then, some of those staffers, that obviously have to have a higher qualification to review music than their users, go ahead and give Nevermores The Obsidian Conspiracy the highest score known to this community. This album, according to this staff reviewer is as good as Megadeth's Rust In Peace and better than Death's Symbolic.
Yes, I went there. I said 'better' and 'as good as' althouth comparison is a subjective matter. But as you said, this is subjective.

This just reveals the general problem with giving numerical ratings to works of art. It is bound to result in a mess because emotion is not quantifiable. This is not our problem alone, here at Metal Storm. Every single music magazine and webzine that rates albums runs into this problem. My solution is not to rate albums at all, but most people seem to enjoy applying numerical ratings to albums. I say, let them go ahead with that but lets just treat this entire thing with a grain of salt.

Besides, who are you to say that Nevermore's album is not actually better than Death or Megadeth? Its just your opinion and this rating simply goes against the system of values that you have constructed yourself regarding the relative importance and value of each album. Other people have different values. Deal with it!
11.05.2011 - 21:52
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 11.05.2011 at 12:13

Yeah, I like this definition of objectivity. All reviews should be looking at both ends of the spectrum, but if you honestly can't find any flaws, you just can't find flaws. However, you should be making an attempt to critically analyze the record or EP you are reviewing; I think this is something that most people can agree with. For me, reviews should inform us what kind of listeners might enjoy the record, the sound from a personal sense, the production merits and demerits if there are any perceivable ones, and take a look at some of the songs or the lyricism. In order to be of value to the listener, I would argue that the reviewer has to try and inform them of any unexpected flaws or dissatisfactions or what MIGHT BE dissatisfying with the music. Speculate about what may impress or make a listener dissatisfied. It's kind of like buying a car-- you have to disclose if the engine is A BILLION YEARS OLD AND MAYBE FRAGILE or if the vehicle itself doesn't work before the purchase happens.
Music is 99% personal experience as Bitter mentions; this, I absolutely agree with. A purely objective article (in Bitter's sense) like the one he describes about Metallica doesn't SITUATE the listener into the music and help them make an informed decision about whether to listen to it or not. Neither does a purely subjective one like the Axioma Ethica Odini review that has already been pointed out. What helps are articles that most of the staff currently right-- they situate the listener into the music, look at potential pros and cons for people, and try to make it accessible through humour, awkward metaphors, popular culture and/or hyperbole (ie I find the Doc Godin reviews do this perfectly, and so do the BitterCOld ones-- read this one http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=9102&page=&message_id= ).
To be fair, I think reviews must have a synthesis of personal and objective qualities to them. Personal-- let the writing show exactly what YOU think of the record. Objective, for me, is the attempt of the writer to speculate as to who would appreciate or not appreciate the record, look into the potential flaws of the album that OTHER people may find annoying...it's a kind of attempt to situate the listener the best way possible. Reviews should recognize that people have different tastes and different experiences of emotion that are not reducible to a single numerical value; reviews should instead make CERTAIN people go and listen to the music for themselves. This is what I look for in a good review, at least. This is a very interesting discussion.
11.05.2011 - 22:26
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by jupitreas on 11.05.2011 at 18:00

This just reveals the general problem with giving numerical ratings to works of art. It is bound to result in a mess because emotion is not quantifiable. This is not our problem alone, here at Metal Storm. Every single music magazine and webzine that rates albums runs into this problem. My solution is not to rate albums at all, but most people seem to enjoy applying numerical ratings to albums. I say, let them go ahead with that but lets just treat this entire thing with a grain of salt.

Not rating numerically can indeed solve the problem. It does however make it hard to grasp the reviewer's general attitude towards an album with a quick look. Also, I remember reading that every guest reviewer is obligated to use the MS rating system for his review to get accepted. I just looked because I wanted to provide a link. But it seems you have changed that since my last review. That I consider an improvement.

Written by jupitreas on 11.05.2011 at 18:00

Besides, who are you to say that Nevermore's album is not actually better than Death or Megadeth? Its just your opinion and this rating simply goes against the system of values that you have constructed yourself regarding the relative importance and value of each album. Other people have different values. Deal with it!

Did I say anything like that? Usually there is a general understanding about these things though. And by making a distinction between staff and guest reviews you imply you have a system that reflects an opinion shared by, if not all, at least most of the staffers. Sometimes the numbers bely that impression and that's when people start questioning.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2011 at 01:51

Firstly, none of us have to have a higher qualification than our users to be a reviewer. Most/all of us were regular users before turning to reviewing.

You don't say
----
11.05.2011 - 22:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
It's funny that people take this as some push to abandon objectivity. i'm pretty sure i made mention that it would be good if the reviewer had one foot in objective-land.

i just find it amusing that people scream "NO OBJECTIVITY!" simply because a reviewer didn't have the same experience in listening to an album.

the faux-metallica review i put in there was to text the absurd "YOU HAVE NO OBJECTIVITY!" to the ultimate extreme on the other end to show how much subjectivity is required in a review.

as for the ponderer thing, that wasn't a review. it was an attempt to "get back" at a staffer who merely wrote a "it's almost good" review for an album that apparently ponderer fellates in his spare time by setting fire to an album that the staffer liked and that apparently ponderer had never heard and was from a band he is completely unfamiliar with. not sure why it was allowed to be published... aside from the LOLS.

that dude is just a sad, sad man.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.05.2011 - 00:54
HassoT
Account deleted
Hmmm ... IMHO objectivity vs subjectivity is completely irrelevant in context of music. Music is an art. It either talks to you or not. If it doesn't, it doesn't mean that it's a bad, it just doesn't talk to you. The world is full of art that doesn't talk to me at all, but I don't go out to share it with the world unless I have problems in need to get a psychiatric attention.

Btw, that's the reason I don't read reviews at all. Reviewer has certainly different experience from past than me, listens music differently, listens other things in music than me etc etc etc. So why care? Unless I'd have a (professional?) interest in ego trips ...
12.05.2011 - 06:00
Fallen
Written by Doc G. on 11.05.2011 at 07:27

Written by Fallen on 11.05.2011 at 05:49

Oh well, I have no doubt more complaints about lack of objectivity will arise, luckily we can respond to them with a quick link instead of having to spell it out for them each time.

Yea...Theres only so much one person can do.
12.05.2011 - 06:51
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Hmm, interesting article, but I've always felt all the people who decry reviews that don't agree with them as not being objective actually are trying to insinuate that the reviewer is biased in some way. I.e., lots of people will say an great review for an Opeth album is solely because a reviewer is a fanboy, or that a negative review is because someone just hates Opeth.

Although this is similar to objectivity/subjectivity, reviews are supposed to be subjective as they're someone's opinion but not inherently biased in their writing.
12.05.2011 - 09:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 11.05.2011 at 22:29

the faux-metallica review i put in there was to text the absurd "YOU HAVE NO OBJECTIVITY!" to the ultimate extreme on the other end to show how much subjectivity is required in a review.

Well, now you know... People here don't understand such humor and take most shit literally
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2011 - 10:16
InnerSelf
proofread free
[Spamming] gotta love those long posts [/Spamming]
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.05.2011 - 20:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcus on 12.05.2011 at 06:51

Hmm, interesting article, but I've always felt all the people who decry reviews that don't agree with them as not being objective actually are trying to insinuate that the reviewer is biased in some way. I.e., lots of people will say an great review for an Opeth album is solely because a reviewer is a fanboy, or that a negative review is because someone just hates Opeth.

Although this is similar to objectivity/subjectivity, reviews are supposed to be subjective as they're someone's opinion but not inherently biased in their writing.

that is pretty much exactly the point. they use "objectivity" as the weapon to attempt to cut down the reviewer whose opinion they disagreed with. the "OBJECTIVITY!" battle cry, 95 times out of 100, has nothing to do with objectivity at all, just a simple disagreement on comparative values.

it's the review equivalent of the racist tag. you can't disprove a negative. take my A7X review. many people who liked the album accused me of having an agenda or an ax to grind, blah blah blah... they couldn't accept that i simply found the album boring and sub-par, so they called my objectivity into question. there is nothing i can do to disprove that accusation, even though had i liked the album, i would have written a positive review. of course, then those who really, really dislike the album might have called me out with similar accusations, just from the opposite side of the coin.
----

12.05.2011 - 23:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Couldn't agree more with this article.

You're so damn fucking right, I love you bitter !!! HERE *SMACK !*
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.05.2011 - 01:01
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by BitterCOld on 12.05.2011 at 20:20

Written by Marcus on 12.05.2011 at 06:51

that is pretty much exactly the point. they use "objectivity" as the weapon to attempt to cut down the reviewer whose opinion they disagreed with. the "OBJECTIVITY!" battle cry, 95 times out of 100, has nothing to do with objectivity at all, just a simple disagreement on comparative values.

it's the review equivalent of the racist tag. you can't disprove a negative. take my A7X review. many people who liked the album accused me of having an agenda or an ax to grind, blah blah blah... they couldn't accept that i simply found the album boring and sub-par, so they called my objectivity into question. there is nothing i can do to disprove that accusation, even though had i liked the album, i would have written a positive review. of course, then those who really, really dislike the album might have called me out with similar accusations, just from the opposite side of the coin.

The best part about that is had you written a positive A7X review and been blasted for it, most of those attacking the review have assuredly never have even heard the album, let alone more than a handful of A7X songs.

It's great of you to bring this in the light for once, but unfortunately, as someone said earlier, the only people who'll appreciate this article are those who already don't bitch about reviews. To everyone else it's probably falling on deaf ears.
13.05.2011 - 10:09
afu
If a person is offended enough by a review to take it personally, they lack the self esteem to believe they have good taste. I can disagree with someone. I can even read a review and think the person is deaf, but in the end, the stuff I like is what I like.
13.05.2011 - 13:30
BudDa
Elite
"Music is 99% a subjective experience dependent solely upon the listener"...
That statement for me, makes all the difference. I do agree with you
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
13.05.2011 - 18:05
Uldreth
To be honest, the point where objectivity can be questioned in a very valid way is when it comes to genres.

The only time I can recall where I would have screamed 'YOU HAVE NO OBJECTIVITY' (if there were actually a comment section but there was not) is a review of Skyfire's Timeless Departures on Metal Archives. Now I simply can't find that review anymore but I crystal clearly remember there was some dude whose review was basically like "sod it gusys, this is extreme power and I dont like melodeath OR powermetal nor do I like synths so imma giving this album 20%".

I considered it to be a bad review. If I remember well, it was actually factual (not like the Ponderer review) however he made it absolutely clear that he has no love for PM, or MDM, or synths (and that album is literally overflowing with synths). Now, genre does not necessarily define quality at all and as such he practically downrated that that album into ridiculousness (sorry but even if it might not be a flawless album, it does deserve more than 20%. It is my opinion, yes, but there IS some objectivity into music analysis and that album simply does not have such enormous flaws to warrant that low rating) upon that album's genre, NOT upon that album's qualities.

Sure, one can dislike a genre and it is absolutely fine but imo, he should not be rating albums that belong to such disliked genres, because, as I said, that album will have the genre's properties, which the reviewer dislikes. However genre can be said without listening to an album by looking it up in a compendium therefore, this is absolutely irrespective of what the artists had done with the album. Which means that no matter how good or bad that album might be in a relatively objective sense, the reviewer IS going to downrate it. And it is his opinion and since by your article, objectionated reviews are totally fine, there is nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand if someone likes or is neutral to a genre, then they can actually analyse THE ALBUM itself and how good or bad that album might be in the genre instead of being blinded by hatred from the start.

Hits total: 13225 | This month: 41