07. I'm Bored Of Living
08. Insomnia
09. Melancholy
10. Crashes Down
11. Birthday Balloons
12. Tides
13. Sorrow
14. Taking The Responsibility

Sun Devoured Earth is a Latvian one-man band being run by a dude named Vadim Vasilyev and i have to admit that he's very productive. The band was born during 2009 and since then he's released many albums and EPs in just two years! The Sunshine Always Fades is his fourth full-length and the second one during 2011 at the same time. The cover artwork is a bit freaky with an absurd sense of desolation, an aura being inflicted upon the music as well.

Concerning the sound, you will witness a black metal background being present, more as a feeling rather than in the structure of the songs. It's mainly present when a noisy riffing entrances the atmosphere, the production becomes blurrier or some desperate screams escalate a composition. The main core lies upon an ambient touch, a shoegaze aura and dark aspects of 80s post punk (The Cure, The Sound, Joy Division to name but a few). A dreamlike vibe is omnipresent through the whole duration of The Sunshine Always Fades, yet this euphoric sweetness couldn't last forever. Melancholy's always waiting for the right time to appear and take over. The thing is, Sun Devoured Earth is pure night music, an internal battle between tranquility and your demons, a hallucinating atmosphere either for good or for bad and there's no escape. And the ideal ensemble has to be the dreamy keyboards, the beautiful or melancholic chords/riffing melodies and the heart-felt singing or desperate howls. The production paces really well with the overall attempt, gentle and a little bit distorted at times.

Some songs will appeal to you more, some others less, the key lies in your mood and the moment you will listen to The Sunshine Always Fades, more preferably after sunset as the title indicates. For some weird reason "Everything Always Ends Badly" pierces my mind, "Insomnia" will stick your stare on the clock, hours will pass but you'll still be there, awake, "Melancholy's" bittersweet, "Crashes Down" has to be the few seconds before the impact, "Birthday Balloons" evokes a nostalgic sense of lost innocence, "Sorrow" requires no introduction and "Taking The Responsibility" holds a hallucinating sense of self-acknowledgement.

Anyway, give Sun Devoured Earth a chance, after all almost everything he has offered is self-released. Just relax, free your mind and thoughts/feelings will visit you themselves while the album will be unleashing its tunes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 15.06.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 120 users
16.06.2011 - 20:55
Windrider
Raureif
Well I am no pro in this Blackgaze stuff, I got a touch of Alcest which is really really good but the whole music already goes on my nerves somehow... This sounds but good, maybe cause it isnt that dreamy stuff and with some doom touch.
Oh yes almost forget... Nice review
Definetely something worth to check out!
16.06.2011 - 21:15
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Windrider on 16.06.2011 at 20:55

Well I am no pro in this Blackgaze stuff, I got a touch of Alcest which is really really good but the whole music already goes on my nerves somehow... This sounds but good, maybe cause it isnt that dreamy stuff and with some doom touch.
Oh yes almost forget... Nice review
Definetely something worth to check out!

Thanks mate I remember listening to it for the first time and i was not paying much attention, i was doing something and listening at the same time and then suddenly a good tune entered and i went like "WHAT THE HELL AM I LISTENING TO NOW? COOL!" Glad you enjoyed it!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
16.06.2011 - 21:49
Windrider
Raureif
Written by KwonVerge on 16.06.2011 at 21:15

Thanks mate I remember listening to it for the first time and i was not paying much attention, i was doing something and listening at the same time and then suddenly a good tune entered and i went like "WHAT THE HELL AM I LISTENING TO NOW? COOL!" Glad you enjoyed it!

Lol this is quite the way how I got into Wintersun, when I was wondering what an awesome solo I am listening to for a minute or so already (it was the infamous Winter Madness solo)!
16.06.2011 - 21:53
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Windrider on 16.06.2011 at 21:49

Written by KwonVerge on 16.06.2011 at 21:15

Lol this is quite the way how I got into Wintersun, when I was wondering what an awesome solo I am listening to for a minute or so already (it was the infamous Winter Madness solo)!

Yeah, inspiring solo indeed enough to make you listen to the band even more
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
16.06.2011 - 22:14
Carrion Misery

So far I'm only 5 tracks into The Sunshine Always Fades and I definitely enjoy it. I do hear a little bit of Alcest. Some of the atmosphere reminds me of Longing for Dawn which I love. I do wish the vocals were a little more prominant in the mix here and there, but it's obviously he had a vision for the vocals and I can respect that. It's good to come across this because I've been trying to collect more bands like this. Great review - it convinced me to check it out.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
16.06.2011 - 22:25
nilzardo
Account deleted
HAIL THIS BAND TOO.
17.06.2011 - 12:57
Merchant of Doom

I'm listening to it now. It's quite good and a good discovery, although a blackish metal version of Slowdive might not sound very appealing as a concept...

EDIT: turned it off after 7 songs... was getting immensely boring.

Hits total: 5319 | This month: 11