06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 10 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
03.11.2011 - 22:22
btbamfan20
Probably has got to be the worst thing i've ever heard... And yes, i AM including Justin Beiber, Cher, Backstreet Boys, Pink, Lady Gaga, Doug and the Slugs, Abba, and all the other CRAP that has been overplayed and over exaggerated to be BETTER than this shit called "Lulu". Even that fucking "friday" song by rebecca black or w/e is BETTER than this shit. At least i can LAUGH at that, this i cringe until i realize my chest hurts! This album actually causes bodily harm to the chest, brain, ears (mostly), and if ur standing your legs for u want to fall over and DIE.
----
Gerald Massey: "They must find it difficult ... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."
03.11.2011 - 22:52
Rating: 1
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by btbamfan20 on 03.11.2011 at 22:22
i AM including ... Cher ...

Whoa whoa whoa, that was just uncalled for. I sing "Believe" in the shower every day.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 23:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LichBorne on 03.11.2011 at 20:53
My god, is this album realy that bad?

Let's just say if you believe in God, you won't after listening to Lulu.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 23:14
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.11.2011 at 10:20

Reminds me of that day we went out camping in the desert and that polar bear bit a friend's head off, and we played that football game that we lost and found. We called pizza hut and drove our bikes on the water. The frog tasted terrible, but at least my kill/death ratio was positive. It was that bad because my cousin is allergic to ketchup. Also, tables, but that's another story.

This post is single-handedly responsible for Ruben Barrichello's demise and the rise of finger golf.
03.11.2011 - 23:16
btbamfan20
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 22:52

Written by btbamfan20 on 03.11.2011 at 22:22
i AM including ... Cher ...

Whoa whoa whoa, that was just uncalled for. I sing "Believe" in the shower every day.

That songs a perfect example!! It's all auto-tuned from start to finish, so badly autotuned u can hear the machine skipping her notes. Just poor music. YET her vocals are more tolerable than lou reeds is ahaha
----
Gerald Massey: "They must find it difficult ... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."
03.11.2011 - 23:30
Yossarian
Shakira is more metallic than this
03.11.2011 - 23:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Yossarian on 03.11.2011 at 23:30

Shakira is more metallic than this

Even if she wasn't metal.. she's still good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 00:10
Vombatus
Potorro
Couldn't listen all of it, but I think it's like standard modern metallic (so shitty) with some awful vocals that don't fit at all (makes it even more shitty). Lyrics are kind of funny, look stupid but thinking about them they have some interesting stuff...

So yes, it's very bad (won't waste another second listening to it), but I don't really feel the need to bash it that much
04.11.2011 - 01:25
It's amazing how many people think that this is a metalluca album. IT'S A LOU REED ALBUM FEATURING METALLICA!!!!!If you havn't heard, James said that they're making their new album and It's gonna be released next year
04.11.2011 - 01:31
John Sandman
Written by Milena on 03.11.2011 at 10:11

Written by John Sandman on 02.11.2011 at 23:06

I'm suprised so many people want to buy this crap
Maybe they want to know how to build a table

52 people have it. Maybe they're trolling us? O.O

Maybe they just need something from keep the pappers from flyinng. Or maybe just like to waste money
04.11.2011 - 01:32
John Shock
Written by Guest on 02.11.2011 at 18:51

Best Metallica album EVERRRRR!

Are you kidding right?
Well, i don't accept this album, as a Metallica album, not even close, this is not a thing that Metallica can even imagine to do in the future! ...blah
04.11.2011 - 04:18
3dd
This is just...sad, and irritating at some level I cannot explain.
What is the proper reaction when someone hear this thing? Laugh? Cry? Just say "WTF"? (my reaction).
Even if it's a album FEATURING them, they should have tried to make less bad.
Indeed, this is the worst shit I EVER heard.
04.11.2011 - 04:56
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by masterofpeace95 on 04.11.2011 at 01:25

It's amazing how many people think that this is a metalluca album. IT'S A LOU REED ALBUM FEATURING METALLICA!!!!!If you havn't heard, James said that they're making their new album and It's gonna be released next year

How you classify the album in the band's discography is completely irrelevant to the quality of the album.
04.11.2011 - 05:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.11.2011 at 04:56
How you classify the album in the band's discography is completely irrelevant to the quality of the album.

Holy shit Void that's the most poignant statement you've ever made on this site.
----
04.11.2011 - 07:17
Yojimbo
I've only listened to parts of songs but it really is very bad. I'm just surprised how Metallica keep embarrassing themselves. They are truly the running joke of the metal scene and possibly music as a whole.
04.11.2011 - 10:14
Rating: 2
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I am EAGERLY awaiting the staff review. Seriously, it will probably be one hilarious read if someone does it properly.
04.11.2011 - 11:32
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Why is the rating of this album 2.3 ?
i think 1 is VERY generous to it.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
04.11.2011 - 11:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 04.11.2011 at 10:14

I am EAGERLY awaiting the staff review. Seriously, it will probably be one hilarious read if someone does it properly.

I sure hope it'll be actually hilarious, instead of most of the people in the comments section who are obviously trying to be hilarious, but are failing miserably at it.
04.11.2011 - 12:47
Rating: 9
Kub
Took me something like 10 listens before I "got" this album. First thing is to understand this is a spoken word album, Lou doesn't even try to sing anywhere. It's a different animal than your normal rock LP, so I'm not surprised most people are confused and angered. I was too. I'm a bit dissappointed by all the cheap shots at Lulu here, especially making fun of lyrics, which are actually pretty good once you take an effort and tried to understand them.

The hardest thing for me was to accept the way Lou sells the text, often out of tune and out of rhythm. Once I was past this hurdle I could finally enjoy this album. On Metallica's part - many great riffs, good sound, and nothing wrong with Hetfields singing.

Of course, this is Metal Storm, so no experimentation is greeted with open arms here. But sometimes it's good to hear a second opinion, like this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/dr28 .
04.11.2011 - 15:07
RuiQuental
"Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica"
So much hate for nothing..
04.11.2011 - 15:34
dunskii
The view lyrics "I am the tablet"

Lou Reed's singing "I am the table"

04.11.2011 - 15:44
LichBorne
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 23:03

ROFl xD
well, thats damn shame...
04.11.2011 - 16:21
IVe never Seen so much comments for an album....6 pages...oh my..i pretty much was shocked when i saw the album cover 1 month ago...and im not gonna listen to the album....REading All these comments i guess it must be better than listening to the album itself..
04.11.2011 - 17:05
skerfy
I don't think u can put this album down as Metallica - Lulu because its a Lou Reed album, featuring Metallica to provide the music....its just a slightly heavier Lou Reed album ffs, so tbh in that retrospect its actually quite a good album (if u like lou reed)

P.S. its FAR better than St. Anger tho lol
----
"What do you think you're doing it's broad bloody daylight, you've got no consideration for cyclists! Pardon....it's broad bloody daylight, you've got no consideration for cyclists! Alriiiight!"
04.11.2011 - 17:31
Slayer666
Written by Kub on 04.11.2011 at 12:47

Of course, this is Metal Storm, so no experimentation is greeted with open arms here.

The rest of the post is your opinion which I respect, but I'm calling bullshit on this part.

Yes, some users don't take experimentation too well, but there are just as many here who do. When an album has a rating of 2.3 with 200+ votes, I'm guessing the experimentation isn't the issue: it's the fact that the experimentation failed.
04.11.2011 - 18:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

Oooh hoity toity. I'd rather be a mindless primitive and hate this album than pretend I'm some intellectual who gets some rageboner from a lyricist abusing metaphors.
----
04.11.2011 - 20:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 23:03

I'm pretty damn sure Nietzsche went all "I TOLD YOU GUYS that God was dead but you didn't believe, HA!" when he heard Lulu.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2011 - 20:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Of course, this is Metal Storm, so no experimentation is greeted with open arms here. But sometimes it's good to hear a second opinion, like this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/dr28 .

Well, I'm just one member of Metal Storm, and I absolutely have no problem with experimentation. I actually love the "Load" album very much, and whilst that probably isn't an opinion shared by most members here, I still think your assertion is too generalistic. I would agree that the level of venom directed at "Lulu" is a bit out of proportion, and OTT. (but then any album with "Metallica" on it, is bound to stir disproportionate extreme reactions one way or another) I won't jump on the bashing Metallica bandwagon because it's the "true metal" thing to do. But on a purely musical level at least, I really can't defend "Lulu" at all. You seem to have found some goodness in the album, and I certainly am glad that some people can find something to enjoy in the album. But for me personally, it's a horrible album, and as a Metallica fan, it's easily the most disappointed I've ever been with them.

But even still, the techno stuff on Morbid Angel's latest is my biggest disappointment of the year. I wasn't disappointed with Lulu, because I wasn't expecting it to be good anyway. But "Too Extreme!"... is still the worst musical moment of the year for me personally.
05.11.2011 - 00:56
Kub
Written by Slayer666 on 04.11.2011 at 17:31

Of course, this is Metal Storm, so no experimentation is greeted with open arms here.

The rest of the post is your opinion which I respect, but I'm calling bullshit on this part.

You are absolutely right, bad way to put it on my part. It's not the question of MS, but the general metal audience just does not like their bands to evolve outside metal boundries. Happened to Tiamat, Paradise Lost, Kreator, and many more. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just the way it is.
05.11.2011 - 01:04
Kub
Quote:
Quote:

But even still, the techno stuff on Morbid Angel's latest is my biggest disappointment of the year. I wasn't disappointed with Lulu, because I wasn't expecting it to be good anyway. But "Too Extreme!"... is still the worst musical moment of the year for me personally.

Eh, is my thumb not on the pulse of the metal scene nowadays! The last Morbid Angel is their best album since Covenant for me. All this fiasco reminds me of angry fan reactions when Coroner released techno remix of "Grin". Such a great track, but all people heard was techno drum.
I remember when Metallica released "Black Album" - I was so disappointed! Took me years to understand they are not playing thrash anymore. But after I digested this fact and accepted it, I had no problem enjoying Load and all the rest. Good music is good music.
And yes, I shouldn't generalize that much.

Hits total: 80320 | This month: 189