Metal Storm logo
80s Thrash Metal

27.09.2006 - 04:39
Mega-Slayer
This thread is dedicated to the 80's Thrash metal scene,primarily underdog groups.This thread isn't meant to decide who the greatest thrash group was or is. Just to talk about bands you are interested in,what albums you consider to be classics, and so forth.A very unnapreciated group with one of THE greatest thrash albums ever released is Dark Angel,"Darkness Descends" was an instant favorite when I heard the opening riff for the first song.One other group I really enjoy is from the late 80's,went by the name of Evildead,they were among the few that had originality in their music at the time,they weren't just another Thrash group.I have only heard their debut "Annihilation Of Civilization",but "Underworld" is also a classic from what i've heard.Viking,Sacred Reich, Whiplash,and Exciter also kick ass.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
27.09.2006 - 05:16
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
At least for me, talking about Thrash is sinonimous of talking about the 80s... all the albums I enjoy from the genre belong to those years, Thrash died in the 90s and now some great albums are being released, but they're just a copy of what was done 20 years ago...
27.09.2006 - 19:34
okt31
Account deleted
Well, some great thrash tunes were done in the 90s also (Never Neverland, WFO, Horrorscope, just to name a few well-known ones)
Anyway more on-topic: IMO Razor are harder and heavier than Dark Angel's much-praised Darkness Descends. That album sometimes works for me, sometimes it goes through the motions a bit.. It's not a masterpiece but a great one nonetheless.
Are 80s thrash sounding moder day bands subject of debate here or only old and possibly lost ones?
28.09.2006 - 00:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I thank 80s thrash metal for so many things...I thank it for getting my into metal period...Metallica's Kill Em All was the first metal album that I bought...

It's amazing how many thrash metal bands oversaturated the genre during the mid-late 80s when labels were picking up all of these unknown bands and only had them on for like...an album or two and then there was either inner conflict in the band and they faded away or the label found something better and just dropped them...
28.09.2006 - 01:10
Konrad
Mormon Storm
You guys should check out Mastery's new cd-ep "Lethal Legacy". It's instrumental thrash but it definitely stays true to the genre, while at the same time remains completely original.
----
Brujerizmo!
28.09.2006 - 01:25
Mega-Slayer
Written by Guest on 28.09.2006 at 00:47

I thank 80s thrash metal for so many things...I thank it for getting my into metal period...Metallica's Kill Em All was the first metal album that I bought...

It's amazing how many thrash metal bands oversaturated the genre during the mid-late 80s when labels were picking up all of these unknown bands and only had them on for like...an album or two and then there was either inner conflict in the band and they faded away or the label found something better and just dropped them...

I know there are so many forgotten bands from the late 80's.Most bands in the late period of thrash where generic and unoriginal, but Viking,Evildead,Morbid Saint,Vio-Lence,Forbidden,Exhorder and Exumer all released great albums and didn't last.
----

30.09.2006 - 04:43
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Konrad on 28.09.2006 at 01:10

You guys should check out Mastery's new cd-ep "Lethal Legacy". It's instrumental thrash but it definitely stays true to the genre, while at the same time remains completely original.

Listen to this man because he speaks the truth. That EP would be by far the best thrash release of the year if the band had vocals (they didnt find a singer, but thought ''why wait?'').

As some people may have noticed, I too am a huge thrash fan and am continualy looking for new bands (well, new old bands heh).

A few good old-school thrash albums I have been listening to lately that I recommend :
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Angel Dust - Into The Dark Past
Sadus - Chemical Exposure
Vio-Lence - Oppressing The Masses
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination
Intruder - A Higher Form Of Killing
30.09.2006 - 07:04
Mega-Slayer
Written by SilentScream on 30.09.2006 at 04:43

Listen to this man because he speaks the truth. That EP would be by far the best thrash release of the year if the band had vocals (they didnt find a singer, but thought ''why wait?'').

As some people may have noticed, I too am a huge thrash fan and am continualy looking for new bands (well, new old bands heh).

A few good old-school thrash albums I have been listening to lately that I recommend :

I have been looking into that Intruder album for awhile now and it was just re-released under Lost and Found Records,is it worth buying?
----

30.09.2006 - 19:50
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Mega-Slayer on 30.09.2006 at 07:04

Written by SilentScream on 30.09.2006 at 04:43

I have been looking into that Intruder album for awhile now and it was just re-released under Lost and Found Records,is it worth buying?

I certainly would buy them. If you wanna hear some, they have an album for downloading here :
http://www.intruder.biz/MP3.htm
More songs can be found here : http://www.myspace.com/intrudermetal

A few years ago you could download both A Higher Form Of Killing and Psycho Savant but I guess since the rerelease they have stopped doing so.
30.09.2006 - 22:17
Markku
Account deleted
Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death desrves to be mentioned here.
01.10.2006 - 05:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I know I'm going with the better known bands, but hey, as far as thrash goes, it's what I like

My favorite is Probably MegaDeth, One of my favorite alltime bands,
Mustain is a musical genious, and inspires me everyday.

Some great 80's thrash albums are
-MegaDeth-So far.....so good......so what!
-Metalica-Ride the lightning
-Megadeth-Peace sells.......but who's buying?

Great albums.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.10.2006 - 07:28
Mega-Slayer
Written by Guest on 30.09.2006 at 22:17

Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death desrves to be mentioned here.

I mentioned them earlier,but not their album.I have heard news on their myspace page that they are re-releasing their classic album and it should be out this year.I have only heard a few of their songs off of Vibrations of doom,and I really want the album now.
----

01.10.2006 - 07:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
ah yes, Morbid Saint kicks a lot of ass. It's a shame that they only made one full-length cd.
01.10.2006 - 22:10
Mega-Slayer
I really like Morbid Saint's style a thrash/death mix,though his vocals could pass for black metal sometimes.Mutilator and Incubus are also some magnificent thrash/death groups,no not the gay pop/rock incubus.Incubus later re-formed as Opprobrium and released "Discerning Forces" in 2000,and I have been told its a very well produced slab of death metal.
----

01.10.2006 - 23:08
Hellish Star
Those were the golden days of the US metal scène. There were the famous bands like Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, ANthrax, Overkill, Death Angel, Megadeth next to bands like Forbidden, Vio-lence, Defiance, Atrophy, Dark Angel, Blessed Death, Sindrome, Mordred, Toxik, Ulysses Siren, Intruder, Abattoir, Agent Steel (!!!), At War, Faith or Fera, Flotsam & Jetsam, Tyrant's Reign, Hades, Heathen, Hexx, Nasty Savage, Laaz Rockit, Holy Terror, Evildead, Realm, Powermad, Sacred Reich, Sadus, Tourniquet, Whiplash,...

In other cournties there were Cyclone, Channel Zero, Sepultura, Kreator, ANgel Dust, Sabbat, Destruction, Target, Donor, Hexenhaus, ...

And there are off course a lot of bands, influenced by the US thrash, the so called US POWER METAL BANDS like Helstar, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Halloween, Liege Lord, Metal Church, Sanctuary, ...

Those were the days!!! But I'm happy a lot of these bands are active again. They release albums and are back on stage....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
02.10.2006 - 01:27
Markku
Account deleted
Hellish Star, I'm glad you mentioned Mordred. They were really something.
And ofcourse Anacrusis, one the most underrated thrash bands. So damn frustrating to think about the fate of those bands who had the talent and courage to be different and push the boundaries a bit further but never got the respect they deserved(this applies to other genres too).
02.10.2006 - 01:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Anacrusis is indeed very underrated and I don't understand why they weren't more popular. Their riffs were so damn catchy!
02.10.2006 - 04:41
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
80's thrash makes up the majority of my listening, methinks. My radio show (Sundays, 2-4) is even called Total Desaster (after the Destruction song... today was our first show, and about 1/3 of it was 80's thrash - Overkill, Forbidden, Holy Terror, Toxik, Whiplash).

I don't get what the big deal surrounding Evildead is... I don't really like them. Same with Executioner or Exhorder. Oh well, to each their own.

Let's see, what hasn't been mentioned here...? No mention of Deathrow! Nor Magus Beast/Aggressor. Annihilator... but I'm not a huge fan of them anyway. Schizo Deluxe was pretty good for a few spins, but got kinda boring.

Nor ::GASP!:: Sodom! How did this thread make it this far without mention of the most consistant metal band ever, Sodom! I fucking love those guys. And Tankard... you guys have something against German thrash?

Coroner also diserves mention, although I never got into them really. SilentScream's signiture can count for that one

Oh yeah, you guys gotta check out Artillery, Mekong Delta, Onslaught, Hirax, Shah, Pokolgép, and Tormentor (Hungary). Some people call Tormentor black metal but I don't hear it at all other than maybe the vocals. I think it's just because Attila Csihar was the singer.

I'm glad this thread was started, I'm always looking for more bands to check out. I \m/ 80's thrash.
02.10.2006 - 06:09
Mega-Slayer
Written by Guest on 02.10.2006 at 04:41

80's thrash makes up the majority of my listening, methinks. My radio show (Sundays, 2-4) is even called Total Desaster (after the Destruction song... today was our first show, and about 1/3 of it was 80's thrash - Overkill, Forbidden, Holy Terror, Toxik, Whiplash).

I don't get what the big deal surrounding Evildead is... I don't really like them. Same with Executioner or Exhorder. Oh well, to each their own.

Let's see, what hasn't been mentioned here...? No mention of Deathrow! Nor Magus Beast/Aggressor. Annihilator... but I'm not a huge fan of them anyway. Schizo Deluxe was pretty good for a few spins, but got kinda boring.

Nor ::GASP!:: Sodom! How did this thread make it this far without mention of the most consistant metal band ever, Sodom! I fucking love those guys. And Tankard... you guys have something against German thrash?

Coroner also diserves mention, although I never got into them really. SilentScream's signiture can count for that one

Oh yeah, you guys gotta check out Artillery, Mekong Delta, Onslaught, Hirax, Shah, Pokolgép, and Tormentor (Hungary). Some people call Tormentor black metal but I don't hear it at all other than maybe the vocals. I think it's just because Attila Csihar was the singer.

I'm glad this thread was started, I'm always looking for more bands to check out. I \m/ 80's thrash.

I mentioned Exumer ever heard of them? and I didn't mentioned sodom,cuz they are fairly popular compared to most of the thrash bands,and I haven't heard any of Deathrow's music,since all of their cds are hard to find.Anyway I have heard some Assassin and Accuser they are good german thrash.
----

02.10.2006 - 16:26
Konrad
Mormon Storm
There were a couple of compilations that came out a while back called speed metal hell. I believe there were a total of 3 cd's, and they containted some relatively obscure bands. I also have two of Metallica's demo's one which has The Mechanix with Hetfield singing. Pretty valuable music for any thrash collection. PM me and I will send you the comps. either on slsk, irc or just AIM.
----
Brujerizmo!
03.10.2006 - 14:48
Hellish Star
If you guys like eighties thrash, try a new Belgium band who's influenced by Forbidden and Channel Zero (the real thrashers know this band, especially the first album was awesome).

SANITY'S RAGE - www.myspace.com/sanitysrage
----

03.10.2006 - 17:42
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@Collision: Dude Exhorder just rule! "Slaughter in the Vatican" is one of the best albums I've heard.

I didn't see nobody say anything about M.O.D. (a little more hardcore but great), D.R.I., Faith or Fear (reformed some time ago), Hirax; other great bands that is heavly rooted in the 80's syle are /Speed\Kill/Hate\ (Dave Linsk side project), HavocHate.
03.10.2006 - 17:42
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@Collision: Dude Exhorder just rule! "Slaughter in the Vatican" is one of the best albums I've heard.

I didn't see nobody say anything about M.O.D. (a little more hardcore but great), D.R.I., Faith or Fear (reformed some time ago), Hirax; other great bands that is heavly rooted in the 80's syle are /Speed\Kill/Hate\ (Dave Linsk side project), HavocHate.
05.10.2006 - 07:52
Mega-Slayer
I have been searching for thrash gems latley and so I heard Laaz Rockit's "Know Your Enemy" today it is killer,"Last Breath" and "Self Destruct" are classic thrash songs,their work is very catchy.Some other good undergorund bands I haven't yet mentioned are Living Death(german thrash),Hexenhaus(technical thrash,and Onslaught (british thrash).Hexenhaus first used "Les Tresors De Satan" painting in 88' for their classic "A Tribute To Insanity",which Morbid Angel used for the cover of "Blessed Are The Sick".
----

05.10.2006 - 20:48
Hellish Star
@megaslayer:

Indeed. Laaz Rockit's "Know your enemy" is a killer album but they weren't really underground in the eighties. For the thrash metal scène they were very popular, especially in Holland. I saw them last year two times in Holland with their 'reunion show' and we had a great time!!!

About Onslaught: I only love the "In search of sanity" album. The clean vocals fits perfect on the technical music. Awesome album. I saw these guys on that tour, playing for 100 fans but they played as there were 100.000 fans!

Hexenhaus is a fucking killer band. All their albums are very technical, a mix between "Bay area" oriented thrash metal and the Mekong Delta/Warchtower/Target style... Their albums are very hard to find...

If you really like this style of metal, try the US metal thread and you will discover awesome (also new) bands from your country....Your country rules (musical wise) in metal!!!!
----

07.10.2006 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, just came across something on the Displeased Records site...

apparently Atrophy - Socialized Hate and Atrophy - Violent by Nature (okay released in 1990 but I still consider it as part of the 80s thrash movement) will be reissued in November this year.

And today I picked up Holy Terror - El Revengo which has 2 uadio discs and one dvd disc.
The second audio disc contains an entire live set as recorded in Dendermonde Belgium, and also live tracks as recorded in Fort Lauderdal and Milan.
The dvd has live sets from Milwaukee, Chicago,, Anaheim and a video of Judas Rward and a slide show.

The first cd has 4 tracks from Mind Wars but now mixed in Spet 2004 by Jack Endino and the enitre Terror & Submission album but with a different mix than the original version.

Go to the next internet address to LEGALLY download their demo, two tracks taken off Mind Wars, and some live concerts from back in 1987 and 1989. And the one in Utrecht, Holland recorded on September 24 1987 is the one I attended at the time. Damn, time flies, that is a fucking 19 years ago now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2006 - 08:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
What do you guys think about Sabbat? I've recently been introduced to them and as soon as I find one of their albums in a store I'll buy it. I love how their songs change subtely throughout.

I also really like early Death Angel. The Ultra-Violence is a masterpiece and easily their best. I love the lead singer's high shrieks and the raging guitar solos.
08.10.2006 - 08:17
Mega-Slayer
Written by Dangerboner on 08.10.2006 at 08:08

What do you guys think about Sabbat? I've recently been introduced to them and as soon as I find one of their albums in a store I'll buy it. I love how their songs change subtely throughout.

I bet if I Heard them I would enjoy them,being I cant find their cds,their first two are rated highly and classical status,especially "Dreamweaver",one I want very much.There are none available at the time on Amazon and the ebay items are going at a high price.So when I raise enough money i'll get "Dreamweaver".
----

15.10.2006 - 06:05
Evil Warrior
Account deleted
Yeah, 80's thrash definetley the most kick ass music. I also like the death thrash from then too (fuckin' POSSESSED!) But yeah, just check my fav. band list to see but one thing I wanted to bring up... Overkill, their cool but not really as thrashy as people make them out to be they have a lot of fast riffs and stuff but the majority of a lot of their songs is slower. I just want to get your opinion on that.
15.10.2006 - 06:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 06:05

Yeah, 80's thrash definetley the most kick ass music. I also like the death thrash from then too (fuckin' POSSESSED!) But yeah, just check my fav. band list to see but one thing I wanted to bring up... Overkill, their cool but not really as thrashy as people make them out to be they have a lot of fast riffs and stuff but the majority of a lot of their songs is slower. I just want to get your opinion on that.

Yes, a lot of older Overkill songs seem pretty slow, but I think it's because of the poor recording of the bass drum. Some of the double bass that they use is very quiet. Well, that's at least how it is on Under the Influence.