Metal Storm logo
Your Policy on Buying Metal

Original post

Posted by strade, 16.08.2011 - 21:14
Well, I've noticed a trend of downloading music instead of ever buying it recently. I've always believed in collecting, so I have to have a hard copy of an album to say I own it. I do, however, prescreen stuff by downloading it first to see if it's worth buying. I then only buy the stuff that's worth buying, a tactic I've begun to use afterr the Nevermore/Kamelot fiascos last year. Therefore my answer is "yes, but only the stuff I enjoy most," which is the answer I hypothesize that most people will be choosing. Thus far I've bought eight albums this year.

How about you guys? [and to the hardcores who buy all their albums, try not to persecute the rest of us ]

Poll

Do you buy the metal you listen to?

Yes, but only stuff I enjoy the most
Yes, almost all of it
Yes, all of it
No, not usually
No, never

Total votes: 174
18.08.2011 - 04:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by MetalSpider on 18.08.2011 at 02:10
They barely make anything from CD sales.

Actually if you buy directly from a band, they make (in essence) 100% profit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.08.2011 - 05:01
dr.doom
I buy 90% of the music I listen to if I can find it at a record store.
18.08.2011 - 05:55
MetalSpider
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.08.2011 at 04:10

True...that's what my band did since we were never signed to a label. Anything we sold, we kept as 100% profit. Of course we had to pay to make the CD's, do the recordings, T-shirts out of own pockets. So anything we sold it was basically just to try and break even and hopefully make some profit in the end. Most of the money we made though was from our CD's and Merch. We never made much off shows because a lot of the shows we did (in the beginning mainly) were all competitions. Even when we stopped competitions, the shows we did were more along the lines of selling a certain number of tickets in order to make a profit (so after selling 30 tickets...anything we sell after that 30 we get a percentage of or we keep it all).

However, a lot of the bigger bands that belong to record labels usually don't make much of a profit because the record label takes a nice juicy cut of the sales.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.08.2011 - 11:43
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by Guest on 17.08.2011 at 15:38

Voted for "Yes, but only stuff I enjoy the most"

Written by Powerslavex on 17.08.2011 at 13:40

When available i buy my Cd's but unfortunately 90% of metal Cd's are either not available or not original only copies over here in Syria

I think you meant 99%, and the 1% is either local bands like Gene, and The Hourglass.. or someone sold his metal original collection to some CDs store.

actually 99.9%
18.08.2011 - 12:13
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

You're probably talking about indie bands here. Bands signed on to a label barely make shit. How bands make profit is that they label pays for a particular number of hours of recording, pressing of cd's and album promotion, so the band doesn't have to shell out from their own pockets to release an album. So whatever the label gives them per cd sales is profit, but thats barely anything.

In the case where the band is not signed to a label then all the money from cd sales comes to them, but then they probably spent a shit load on recording, pressing and promotion, which in the end, the band barely makes money from cd sales as they spent probably twice as much to release it.

I generally don't buy cd's, all the stuff i have listened to is downloaded. I have a few cds of international arists, but most of my cd collection is local bands.

I would say if you really want to support the band you like, don't just buy their cd and let it sit on your shelf. Go out catch their gigs, buy their merch, coz thats where they actually make their money. It's a lot better for a band if they have 100 fans not buying their cd, but going to their gigs rather than 100 fans buying cd's and just sitting at home listening to that cd when that band plays in their city.

I play for a local band here in India and I would rather have our fans come to our gigs and buy or tshirts and other merch rather than just buy our cds. We've probably sold 1000 cds and maybe just broken even with the cost of recording, pressing and promotion. There was no profit at all even though we don't have some big label eating our cd sales.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
18.08.2011 - 13:33
Zombie94

A significant percentage goes to the record label, unless you're actually buying from the band themselves and not from a shop
18.08.2011 - 13:39
Zombie94
Written by Spirit Molecule on 18.08.2011 at 12:13

You're probably talking about indie bands here. Bands signed on to a label barely make shit. How bands make profit is that they label pays for a particular number of hours of recording, pressing of cd's and album promotion, so the band doesn't have to shell out from their own pockets to release an album. So whatever the label gives them per cd sales is profit, but thats barely anything.

In the case where the band is not signed to a label then all the money from cd sales comes to them, but then they probably spent a shit load on recording, pressing and promotion, which in the end, the band barely makes money from cd sales as they spent probably twice as much to release it.

I generally don't buy cd's, all the stuff i have listened to is downloaded. I have a few cds of international arists, but most of my cd collection is local bands.

I would say if you really want to support the band you like, don't just buy their cd and let it sit on your shelf. Go out catch their gigs, buy their merch, coz thats where they actually make their money. It's a lot better for a band if they have 100 fans not buying their cd, but going to their gigs rather than 100 fans buying cd's and just sitting at home listening to that cd when that band plays in their city.

I play for a local band here in India and I would rather have our fans come to our gigs and buy or tshirts and other merch rather than just buy our cds. We've probably sold 1000 cds and maybe just broken even with the cost of recording, pressing and promotion. There was no profit at all even though we don't have some big label eating our cd sales.

I agree completely. CD sales are just one of the many ways bands have of generating income and often their profiteering from it is minute and only a fraction of what the overall gross sales are. One thing I really like about the recent surge in music downloading is that it's forcing bands to tour more and give more back to the fans. I don't own a single Primordial or Manowar CD but I'm planning to see both bands when they come to play here in Ireland soon.
18.08.2011 - 13:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.08.2011 at 16:42

I usually try to buy at least 1 album from all of my favorite bands as opposed to completing each band's discography one at a time.

I kind of do the same thing. There has been a couple of times when I wanted to buy like 4 albums of the same band at once just to complete the discography but I end up changing my mind because it feels like it would be kind of empty feeling when I get them from the mail XD.
I always buy cds from different bands, it's far more satisfying somehow.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2011 - 14:02
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2011 at 13:43

I kind of do the same thing. There has been a couple of times when I wanted to buy like 4 albums of the same band at once just to complete the discography but I end up changing my mind because it feels like it would be kind of empty feeling when I get them from the mail XD.
I always buy cds from different bands, it's far more satisfying somehow.

I am not a completionist and the sad truth is that even the very best bands almost always have one or two bad albums. As a fan of the bands I like I feel obligated to buy the albums I like (it's more a pleasure than an obligation really), but I don't feel obligated to support bands when they sell-out or run out of inspiration, producing effortless garbage. It has a negative effect when fans continue to buy albums from bands that have clearly thrown in the towel and just continue to make music for money, however a negative fan reaction can lead a band back on the right track like did happen with Megadeth.
18.08.2011 - 14:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 14:02

I am not a completionist and the sad truth is that even the very best bands almost always have one or two bad albums. As a fan of the bands I like I feel obligated to buy the albums I like (it's more a pleasure than an obligation really), but I don't feel obligated to support bands when they sell-out or run out of inspiration, producing effortless garbage. It has a negative effect when fans continue to buy albums from bands that have clearly thrown in the towel and just continue to make music for money, however a negative fan reaction can lead a band back on the right track like did happen with Megadeth.

I did not say anything about completing a discography just for the sake of fanboyism. I buy them because I enjoy them. Some less than others but as long as there are a couple of songs that are good to me then it's worth getting the real thing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2011 - 14:58
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2011 at 14:11

I did not say anything about completing a discography just for the sake of fanboyism. I buy them because I enjoy them. Some less than others but as long as there are a couple of songs that are good to me then it's worth getting the real thing.

I know, I wasn't talking about you, though it might have appeared as if I was. Sorry about that. I started the day with water, not with coffee, clearly that was a mistake
18.08.2011 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 14:58

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2011 at 14:11

I know, I wasn't talking about you, though it might have appeared as if I was. Sorry about that. I started the day with water, not with coffee, clearly that was a mistake

Nah it's ok. My throat hurts like hell and I just got out of a fever so I might be a little sensitive
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2011 - 23:23
SODOM666

You have a good point! the only problem I have with downloading everything is that you are missing a few things. You don't have the booklet, and I personally love reading the lyrics along with the songs and there is sometimes really powerful artwork in the booklets that go along with the album. You are also missing a hard copy by downloading; sure you can back it up on a USB but you don't physically own it. Along those lines, there is also a collectors edge to owning most of your music on CDs. Sometimes the quality of a downloaded song is poor, unless you bought it off iTunes or Amazon. This is why I try to buy most of my CDs, unless they are really hard to find or my bank account is suffering.
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
19.08.2011 - 05:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by SODOM666 on 18.08.2011 at 23:23

You have a good point! the only problem I have with downloading everything is that you are missing a few things. You don't have the booklet, and I personally love reading the lyrics along with the songs and there is sometimes really powerful artwork in the booklets that go along with the album. You are also missing a hard copy by downloading; sure you can back it up on a USB but you don't physically own it. Along those lines, there is also a collectors edge to owning most of your music on CDs. Sometimes the quality of a downloaded song is poor, unless you bought it off iTunes or Amazon. This is why I try to buy most of my CDs, unless they are really hard to find or my bank account is suffering.

I free-download most of my music at 200something Kbps, pretty decent, and usually the album comes with its bonus tracks, artwork and lyrics.
I like to read the lyrics along with the song too, who doesnt? Sure, the booklet is great, but Darklyrics.com or a text document also do the job just as good.
As for owning the music, well, you dont, not with a physical copy nor a digital copy, the music legally belongs to the band, so it doesnt really matter what form it is stored.
Also, I'm a cheapass mofo.
20.08.2011 - 03:17
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.08.2011 at 05:51

I free-download most of my music at 200something Kbps, pretty decent, and usually the album comes with its bonus tracks, artwork and lyrics.
I like to read the lyrics along with the song too, who doesnt? Sure, the booklet is great, but Darklyrics.com or a text document also do the job just as good.
As for owning the music, well, you dont, not with a physical copy nor a digital copy, the music legally belongs to the band, so it doesnt really matter what form it is stored.

The same way it goes for me.
21.08.2011 - 19:03
SODOM666

I knew you'd bring up online lyrics and stuff and I'm not saying I don't download online too and put all the artwork on etc.., I'm not rich hahaha But I feel like something is physically missing if I don't have the CD. Just my preference
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
21.08.2011 - 22:06
Lit.
Account deleted
Most record stores in my area have a pretty crappy selection and I love collecting CD's, so I buy whatever I can find. But whatever I can't find, I download. If I end up finding that CD, I buy it. Download be damned.
I don't download items from newer bands. That's just unfair.

Usually my love for collecting CD's and the like is more so than my love for download, so I usually save the downloading for more rare material.
22.08.2011 - 02:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I prefer to buy CD's( and to the extent hate downloading free albums within a minute) of my favorite bands. The band which I haven't heard or has a translucent information about it I listen their samples and go for it. I love to get the albums when its comes off in sale or kinda discount crap. If the stuff is getting out from the mainstream bands I go blindly and get it.
22.08.2011 - 04:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by dr.doom on 18.08.2011 at 05:01

I buy 90% of the music I listen to if I can find it at a record store.

me too although if its a band ive never heard i judge it by how brutal the title is, and hope i didnt just buy a deathcore album
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.08.2011 - 14:12
Jirpo
I much prefer to buy music then to download it. Occasionally I will download something if I can't find it in a store or online.
25.08.2011 - 15:13
happycadaver
I always try to buy the album directly from the band. Most of the time you get a signed version, which makes it something special.

But the main reason is that the band gets the most out of the deal.
----
"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one." (Dirty Harry)
26.08.2011 - 11:50
arwestromen
Thanks to spotify i dont have to buy everything i'm listening to...just the stuff I really enjoy
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
26.08.2011 - 12:26
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Spotify and Grooveshark are changing everything nowdays. Labels will have to rethink their strategies. I really enjoyed grooveshark, till they blocked it at office Spotify is not yet available in India so I'm not sure about it. Grooveshark had pretty much every metal/non metal artist I searched for except for a few.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
05.09.2011 - 17:58
edgethrasherx
Written by SODOM666 on 21.08.2011 at 19:03

I knew you'd bring up online lyrics and stuff and I'm not saying I don't download online too and put all the artwork on etc.., I'm not rich hahaha But I feel like something is physically missing if I don't have the CD. Just my preference

Hahaha same, i try to buy a lot of stuff, but i download a lot of stuff also, and get the artwork and all that stuff. But i miss having the physical cd
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
03.10.2011 - 06:37
There is something about having the physical CD, as designed by the band, that feels good. The album should be good enough quality that I can jump in the car, and play it all the way through( Perhaps with a few choice skips). Plus, When I am older and I have had 15 i-pods stolen and 6 computers crash I would still have this CD and booklet to reminisce on and show my kids and grand-kids...What snotty punks they will be. Also, when I have a pocket full of cash and wander through the city, I do enjoy buying all the strangest, awkward, and rarest CDs I can find.

I will NEVER buy a Metallica album. I love supporting bands, especially those that are underrated and unknown, but they should not be rich. They are living the dream by traveling the world and playing shows. Although, I'm pretty sure few bands of my persuasion make it to this rich tier anyway.
03.10.2011 - 07:52
GroundZero
I enjoy buying music due to I like so much to have the original CD's with their artwork and all that stuff, and also that's the way musicians can continue producing albums. I also understand there are people who can't afford CDs, and the only way they can listen to their favourite bands is by downloading the albums in mp3 format.

Fortunately, you can listen to some entire albums at youtube, that's how I choose whether I'll buy the album.
19.10.2011 - 23:39
brapp32
I love buying new CDs. The only problem is it seems to be getting harder and harder to find new CDs. I usually go to FYE or Best Buy but their selection is getting worse and worse.
24.10.2011 - 06:56
Pazu
I just don't feel comfortable at all not being able to look at real and legal copies of the things I like. That goes for music, dvd's, videogames and everything else.
24.10.2011 - 10:09
whatsacow
I download a lot of albums, and a lot of them are shit, or not worth buying. The ones I do buy are the ones I deem worthy. But since this is Australia, and I live in a small town that only sells country and pop music, and the least commercial band available in this town are radiohead, the only way I can get some albums is to downlooad. That said, owning a physical copy of an album is so much more rewarding, as one thing I love is getting a friend onto an unknown band, and sharing truly great music.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
27.10.2011 - 02:02
ToMegaTherion
Almost all of it... I get songs from friends and if i like the band i'll buy their stuff definitely, I never pirate unless i'm not sure about a band, and if they are good I'll buy their music.