Metal Storm logo
Your Policy on Buying Metal

Original post

Posted by strade, 16.08.2011 - 21:14
Well, I've noticed a trend of downloading music instead of ever buying it recently. I've always believed in collecting, so I have to have a hard copy of an album to say I own it. I do, however, prescreen stuff by downloading it first to see if it's worth buying. I then only buy the stuff that's worth buying, a tactic I've begun to use afterr the Nevermore/Kamelot fiascos last year. Therefore my answer is "yes, but only the stuff I enjoy most," which is the answer I hypothesize that most people will be choosing. Thus far I've bought eight albums this year.

How about you guys? [and to the hardcores who buy all their albums, try not to persecute the rest of us ]

Poll

Do you buy the metal you listen to?

Yes, but only stuff I enjoy the most
Yes, almost all of it
Yes, all of it
No, not usually
No, never

Total votes: 174
27.10.2011 - 04:45
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Most of the music i buy is on CD. I drive to FYE or some other music store and look at all of the CDs and i buy em. I think its more traditional and its nice to say that you have the origianl album on CD that came out in the 80s or whenever, but i do once in awhile buy songs and albums from iTunes.
20.01.2012 - 00:06
lordchadi
Why i have to buy if i can download it for free
20.01.2012 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by lordchadi on 20.01.2012 at 00:06

You don't have to buy anything but that attitude is what is killing the music industry.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.01.2012 - 03:04
Record companies are killing the industry, the internet only expedites the process. It was a successful but evil business model that's been around since the 50's, but only in the last decade or so are they paying for it.
21.01.2012 - 03:59
Ghostdancer
I pay for mine.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
21.01.2012 - 16:10
Olli
The problem with illegal downloads is that it's simply the better way to get music. It's often clearer what file format and kbs on torrent sites and download blogs that it is on big websites. Also, if the album you download is bad quality you can just delete it and find another one. Not to mention the files are easier to move from pc to pc etc. Cds often make you download individual licenses for every pc you want to listen to it on.. and don't even get me started on Itunes!

The music industry needs to get it's ass into gear and realize the current system simply doesn't work. Streaming sites like Spotify (which I subscribe to) allow you to access millions of songs legally for £5-10 a month, or free if you listen to adverts, another nail in the old way of selling CDs for 500% of the manufacturing price.

It will be a bit of a shame to see physical CDs become something only collectors will buy, but I can't see any other way for the music industry to continue making money unless they ditch them.

Anyway a bit of a long post, back to the point I don't buy CDs as I use spotify and torrents, but I spend a hell of alot on band shirts and live shows so I don't exactly feel guilty.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
21.01.2012 - 16:59
Pondscum
I will download the rare or out of print stuff or if it's an overpriced import, but I prefer to own physical media as well. CD's sound so much better. It doesn't feel right to download for free when bands work so hard and put so much of themselves into creations I get enjoyment from.

Sometimes I will buy an album on vinyl and if it doesn't come with a download card I'll download it illegally.
29.01.2012 - 01:19
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by lordchadi on 20.01.2012 at 00:06

These times I agree with SOPA/PIPA..
29.01.2012 - 01:19
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I buy when I have the money (almost never)
29.01.2012 - 23:54
lordchadi
Written by Guest on 29.01.2012 at 01:19

lool

if never have money so wat u will do

download for free then f**k the SOPA without free download u cant get all wat u need & u will become a sad person
30.01.2012 - 01:15
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by lordchadi on 29.01.2012 at 23:54

Written by Guest on 29.01.2012 at 01:19

lool

if never have money so wat u will do

download for free then f**k the SOPA without free download u cant get all wat u need & u will become a sad person

And here it is: I NEVER downloaded even one disc from the internet!

And I have the money... sometimes!
28.02.2012 - 14:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I usually buy CDs.

Or I download from BandCamp
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.02.2012 - 22:35
For those who think that going to see a band will keep the music flowing, don't kid yourselves. Touring costs big bucks; all but the biggest bands are lucky to break even. They are on tour to try to promote album sales, and it it doesn't matter if they've signed with a label or not, they make money off of CD sales. If a band has poured blood sweat and tears into an album that I love, of course I'm going to buy it, and I'll be enjoying it for years to come.
02.03.2012 - 01:13
thewaytonever
I refuse to pay for a cd unless its through record labels that aren't ridiculously overpricing cds like Archaic North got 2 Wolven Acestry cds and the new Eclipse Eternal CD for 34 USD with the shipping good deal and the digital download was the same price. I get most of my music from Amazon.com via digital downloads unless I just like 1 or 2 songs from a band or artist then I just pirate it. Sometimes I pirate to have access to an album until I have money to buy the mp3's but most of the time I just fork out the 9 to 10 USD it costs for the digital download. SOPA and PIPA can go to hell though
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
02.03.2012 - 03:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.02.2012 at 14:55

^This

...and in FLAC
----
rekt
02.03.2012 - 03:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.03.2012 at 03:43

Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.02.2012 at 14:55

^This

...and in FLAC

I dont usually download in FLAC just becaus eit takes forever.

bt yeah legal free downloads ftw.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.03.2012 - 07:42
naldrin
My friends and I have decided to share songs between one another and we have set up this online repository which everyone has access to.

With the closing down of some of the file sharing sites, they say that has been something that worked to the advantage of musicians and producers as they have combated an alley were pirates work together.

But quite frankly, they are not even on the perspective of how pirates work.
04.03.2012 - 19:05
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.03.2012 at 03:58

On Bandcamp, You know where it says "name your price"? Lately I have been giving money. $5-10 usually, if I dig the music!
----
rekt
04.03.2012 - 19:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.03.2012 at 19:05

Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.03.2012 at 03:58

On Bandcamp, You know where it says "name your price"? Lately I have been giving money. $5-10 usually, if I dig the music!

I would, but I'm a student with no job

I'm considering putting a minimum when I put my full legth on there, but I don't know if anyone would buy it
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.03.2012 - 19:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.03.2012 at 19:11

I'm considering putting a minimum when I put my full legth on there, but I don't know if anyone would buy it

I understand, and there are other ways to support said band, like merchandise and going to the shows!
I'd buy your album bud...if it sounds good
----
rekt
04.03.2012 - 19:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.03.2012 at 19:15

Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.03.2012 at 19:11

I'd buy your album bud...if it sounds good

You'd probably be the only one!

I think I'm going to make a limited number of hard copies... like 50 or so and have those for sale, then Have a "Name your price" on bandcamp.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.07.2012 - 03:47
Oaken
Hipster
Well, to be honest, if I lived in a first world proper country where life makes sense and metal albums aren't tabooed and unavailable, I would feel bad if I don't buy albums. But not here, where it's impossible to find one single metal album. To me, it's either piracy or no metal at all, which sucks because when you have every single album on the internet at your disposal you download many, many albums and end up vaguely enjoying some and not listening to many others. I feel that buying albums would give you time to enjoy them, as you can't buy an album everyday, and makes you take the albums seriously since you paid for them with your money.
EDIT: To make a long story short, piracy strips music of its meaning, and makes it totally unenjoyable.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
09.07.2012 - 03:51
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 16.08.2011 at 23:06

I buy music if I know and like the band, if a completely new tr00 kvlt band... I'll download for the time being and buy later if I like it. Generally whats happens is, I listen to one song by a band and end up blindly buying the album.... I've wasted so much money doing that.

I prefer to buy though because back when I only downloaded, I had so many albums I never listened to them.. I lost my passion for music at one point. I prefer buying because I prefer to focus on one album for months at a time.

Actually that's why I don't thoroughly enjoy what I listen to. I wish I could buy music.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
09.07.2012 - 05:13
BanksD
Account deleted
Voted "Yes, but only stuff I enjoy the most" mostly because being unemployed and low on money makes it hard to buy albums as much as I'd want to.
09.07.2012 - 21:46
helofloki
Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 29.02.2012 at 22:35

For those who think that going to see a band will keep the music flowing, don't kid yourselves. Touring costs big bucks; all but the biggest bands are lucky to break even. They are on tour to try to promote album sales, and it it doesn't matter if they've signed with a label or not, they make money off of CD sales. If a band has poured blood sweat and tears into an album that I love, of course I'm going to buy it, and I'll be enjoying it for years to come.

This is the truth. It's hard being a professional musician no matter how you slice it, especially if you're in a less accessible genre (i.e. most metal). So any cash a band can get for their hard work is earned and they appreciate it. This post makes me feel bad, because I buy albums very infrequently these days. I guess everyone has their own agenda and stuff, but I keep making the morally wrong decision and download stuff. I used to buy CDs all the time, though that's no excuse for my current actions. I did buy the new Deathspell Omega though (relatively new 'Paracletus'), even though I found out later that I had downloaded it. Either way, it's cool to have the CD, it's got nice packaging. I do buy from itunes every once and a while, but almost always when someone gives me a gift certificate.
11.07.2012 - 02:14
Windir
Some years ago I lived in Switzerland and I was able to buy a lot of cds, something like 5 - 10 cds per month (28,50 swiss francs the album then (17 US $ exchange rate of 2002)), now I live in South Amercia (in Bolivia, the poorest country by the way ha ha) and the incomes here suck, but I manage to buy 1 or 2 cds (25 to 30 US $ each one) every month (and they're way more expensive here because of the shipping costs). And about the downloading, I listen to tons of metal, and If I like it I buy it! It's obviously not possible to buy everything you like but if you are ok with just downloading you suck!

Back in Europe, I just went to the store in the release date and the cd was there, here I have to wait between 2 weeks and 3-4 months! I ordererd Accept - Stalingrad and Ne Obliviscaris 2 months ago and I'm still waiting! ha ha

After eating at a restaurant, what do you do? you run? the question is ridiculous, so it is the mentallity of stealing music... and it's even worst because is a band you admire and making the music costs. Have you ever worked and never received proper payment? what did you feel? it's a bit dramatic but it's the truth.

If you like it pay it!

and to answer the poll: Yes, almost all of it
13.07.2012 - 15:12
Berserker
Account deleted
I like buying cds but only after listen to the album in question thoroughly. I don't just buy an album that i've never heard in my life unless it's cheap. That's why i download alot. Yes it hurts the artists but i can't rely anymore on the radio or tv music channels to know what to buy. Also there are tons of bands that i've never know that exists if it wasn't for illegal downloading.
13.07.2012 - 16:49
axelx666
I prefer to be a pirate and download it illegaly, or watch it on youtube, if i really, really like it. then i'll buy a copy. (if i have the money)

CD's are so expensive now an days...am i the only one who feels that way?

but im not gonna buy it, if i can find full streams on youtube, i mean i'd love to support the artist but, as i said above CD'S ARE EXPENSIVE!

they charged me $20.00 for devildriver's first ALBUM as FYE. that came out in 2003. it should've been cheaper.

besides who's going to sit down and put it in a CD player? most people are going to stream it to other people, or put it in their i-pod. i tried that once and i didn't like it. prefer to blare it from my computer with double sub-woof speakers.

in my opinon CD's are obselete. i think in the future all music is going to be online and artists are going to sell digital copies.

(but that's in my opinion.)
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
13.07.2012 - 23:49
MetalSpider
I only buy CD's after I've already listened to it or most of it and I like it and I can afford it. I generally buy it for the artwork. Band's really don't make much money off CD sales. It all comes from playing shows.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.07.2012 - 05:03
michael666
I would buy the all the 336 metal albums in my computer, but that was if they were available in my low ass third world country, you see to us few metal heads in Guyana perchasing an album or merchandise (by the way official stuff) is like the ultimate goal in the life of a metalhead, and this place people get riped off every day since their is literally no copy right law