10. Tragedy Of Perfection
11. Dominator
12. I Choose You
13. The Sadist
14. The Broken [bonus]
15. Time Will Tell [Scott Brown Hardstyle mix]

Deathcore for dance clubs, eh?

No, wait! Don't go! Keep reading!

My uncanny lvl. 68 telepathy skill tells me that a lot of people are going to hate this album. Deathcore haters almost certainly will. Same with those fanatical electro purists you encounter on your internet radio site of choice (you know, the "Skrillex = homostep" guys). Take some pretty simple techno tunes and mix them with some pretty generic deathcore, and that's a solid enough description of The Browning's new album. Commencing back pat right now.

But, point is, with all that in mind, hopefully your jaded ass will be impressed by the quality of Burn This World. It's actually pretty fucking fun. FYI! Staccato deathcore guitar work works well with dance music. This shit will get you karate dancing regardless of your feelings toward breakdowns and dance music. So do that line of sunshine, put that spandex thing on, and grab your sledge hammer. Shit's gonna get crazy? Better go get some water too... Gum? Yeah, I got gum.

Trouble is, the jolts and jitters Burn This World's genre-hybridization causes will wear off. All that chain-smoking and your self-imposed daily beer consumption quotas will help kill your little Jujitsu dance mid-tornado kick, and the breakdowns, the dumb melodramatic lyrics, the computerized and synthy melodies will probably all start giving you headaches... Actually, scratch that "probably". They will give you headaches. This isn't an album to listen to in one sitting. It's built to be played two or three tracks at a time, maybe at a party. And since this is an album review and all, that is a significant problem. I have a lot of fun with it at first, but always end up turning it off prematurely and/or ADD-hopping through the intro bits until I find something to multitask with to it.

But you can still go ahead and color me the colors of the hot topic t-shirt of a cover design surprised. Turns out all my friends and old lady friends are wrong. I can be pretty hip. The songs I enjoy on this, I, like, uh, really enjoy? Texas, home of nu-cowboys, Aryan basketball overlords, and Rick Perry's "inspirational meteorology", has actually produced some pretty forward-thinking stuff this holy year, all the while not abandoning and, if anything, paying respect to tried-and-trveish formulas. The Browning delivers their stuff skillfully?with some of the most back-breakingly thick chugs I know of?and the production is the shit. This is an interesting and fun album despite its various drawbacks. Give it a shot.

This is what Illud Divinum Insanus should have sounded like.

Written on 04.10.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 206 users
07.10.2011 - 03:41
hadriel
At first pass I thought this band was your typical deathcore band trying to appeal to the huge hipster electronic movement that's going around (at least in my area). I didn't give it a fair shake and just listened to a few samples though. Your review has motivated me to go back and actually listen to this album now and I'm actually a bit excited. Thank you good sir for keeping me in check, not fair to judge it off first appearances! (or sounds rather)
08.10.2011 - 06:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Whoooaaa worst album ever.

I took a chance on it based on your review...regretting it immediately.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.10.2011 - 12:34
Slayer666
Nice. Two of the fucking gayest and hippest most modern and compatible genres mixed together. Sounds like fun. A drunk friend puking on your shoe kinda fun.
08.10.2011 - 20:08
Void Eater
Account deleted
Yeah, this was crap. I like some deathcore, as long as it has sufficient metal influences, but this... Garbage. Breakdowns+breakdowns+electronic nonsense+breakdowns. And don't be making fun of Texas; we brought you Devourment.
08.10.2011 - 23:03
wormdrink414
Elite
So. A little back story here. Hated this at first. Had a review with a 4 score written up about a month ago, but I kept coming back to listen to it. Like, a lot. I just ended up liking it. Of my buddies I played it for, the same shit happened more or less to them. Apparently my friend's little sister and her friends (who listen to Suicide Silence, and shit like that) really liked it. So the 7 and the .7 pained me some too. Just tried to be honest. I'm a martyr! Worship me!

And about ripping on Texas, I did that out of love, dude. Been to four states, and Texas is easily on my top 3 that I still really want to visit.
09.10.2011 - 03:01
Void Eater
Account deleted
The same thing happened to me with Carnifex not long ago. A few months back I wrote that they were among the worst bands I've ever heard, but lately I've been enjoying them. Same thing actually happened with Devourment a year ago or so.
10.10.2011 - 13:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I thought it couldn't be as bad as most peple said. But goddamn skippy it's even worse. Totally horrendous crap not even worth a 1.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 14:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 13:38

I thought it couldn't be as bad as most peple said. But goddamn skippy it's even worse. Totally horrendous crap not even worth a 1.

There's probably less than 10 albums I've heard in my whole life that I wouldn't even give a 1... what makes this that bad? Ive not heard it, so Im just intrigued!

Funnily enough, when I saw the name of this band, I thought it might be a new band formed by Mike Browning. (From Morbid Angel, Nocturnus, etc...) Seems I was wrong... hehe
10.10.2011 - 16:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

I gave it a 3. I'm yet to hear an album so horrendous and insulting that would force to give it a one. I mean... "worst ever" are some big words to me, juast like "perfect". I was thinking of giving it a 2 but there were some moments when there was only electronica that were half decent/mediocre so I gave it a 3. Classy band that should never touch the metal genre and should just stick to awful electronica, at least there's a chance of fewer people throwing their shit at them. .P
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 18:38
Heka69
"Take some pretty simple techno tunes and mix them with some pretty generic deathcore"
In other words: nothing new. It's just overused old shit. I personally have no respect whatsoever to artists who just keep on spinning old riffs, rhytms, melodies (even thought this has none) and song-structures. It ain't worth a 7, not nearly.
"Good job guys, you did the same thing that 60 bands have done before you, but since you used overtriggered drums on your recording to make it sound electro-like, imma call you decent".

MAKES ME RAGE, DAMMIT.
11.10.2011 - 00:54
Rating: 3
Guib
Thrash Talker
Is this actual dog piss ?? Cos it smells the same. And to be honest it sounds about as good as a decapitated pig trying to squeal after realizing he's headless. Enough said
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.10.2011 - 12:19
fabregassed
Account deleted
Burn my ears and this album.
11.10.2011 - 13:58
malaikat
Damn. I really liked this. WHY GOD
11.10.2011 - 22:18
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I have to check this out!
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.10.2011 - 22:40
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 11.10.2011 at 13:58

Damn. I really liked this. WHY GOD

Save yourself. While you still can. D:
11.10.2011 - 22:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I heard one song off this album earlier, and whilst it wasn't quite as horrifically bad as I'd feared, I still have no desire to hear this album... techno is just not my thing!
12.10.2011 - 00:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I have heard much worse than this, really not all that terrible. I'll give 'em credit for trying...

Very nice (and brave) review!
13.10.2011 - 15:19
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Good job on the review
----
loves 小巫
13.10.2011 - 23:26
Slayer666
You guys are waaay over-reacting. As crappy as it may be, I've still heard much worse and not by deathcore/metalcore bands.
13.10.2011 - 23:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 13.10.2011 at 23:26
You guys are waaay over-reacting.

My overreaction is a reflection of my opinion. I think this album is straight-up St. Anger bad. A piece of shit. I consider myself worse off for ever heaving heard it.

That doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way. Hell, I bet there's people out there who consider TB to be one of their all-time favorite bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.10.2011 - 23:49
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 23:40

My overreaction is a reflection of my opinion. I think this album is straight-up St. Anger bad. A piece of shit. I consider myself worse off for ever heaving heard it.

That doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way. Hell, I bet there's people out there who consider TB to be one of their all-time favorite bands.

And my sentence "You guys are over-reacting" is my way of saying "I don't share your opinion that this album is ultimate crap", that's all. I never meant to say you really are flipping out or some such.
And what did St. Anger ever do to you?
13.10.2011 - 23:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 13.10.2011 at 23:49
I never meant to say you really are flipping out or some such.
And what did St. Anger ever do to you?

No I completely understood that. All forum discussion, even when people state things like it's a fact, they know it's their opinion.

METALLICA SUCKS. That's a subjective statement, but for that one person it holds true. No point getting into a discussion about opinions though...anyone who comments in a forum knows the deal.

As for St. Anger - to be honest I wasn't all "ZOMG" style change but it just sucked as it was. Kind of like this album. It's not like I hate on it for mixing metal with electro stuff or whatever, I just think the product itself is utter shit.
----
14.10.2011 - 00:20
RavenKing

Totally horrendous crap not even worth a 1.

Agreed.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.10.2011 - 13:29
Rating: 10
swatata
Dont know why you hate on this album so much.This is revolution. I loved it and i listen to it everyday. Its heavy and progoressive.Also Korn are doing somethin like that with their next album. And the first 2 songs from it sound awesome.
15.10.2011 - 17:54
Edmund Fogg
Written by swatata on 15.10.2011 at 13:29

Dont know why you hate on this album so much.This is revolution. I loved it and i listen to it everyday. Its heavy and progoressive.Also Korn are doing somethin like that with their next album. And the first 2 songs from it sound awesome.

Are you really, seriously saying that this is progressive? Have you heard any good techno like Sphoongle to say something like that? Or to some good Metalcore (no bands comes to mind)? This is just basic,monotonous mix of the 2 with no real effort at making it cohesive(breakdowns are not considered as bridges imo). Please open your ears musically before saying something is progressive.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.10.2011 - 20:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
This is revolution. Its heavy and progoressive.

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.

Also, using modern Korn as a reference is never a good thing.
----
16.10.2011 - 10:13
Rating: 10
swatata
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.10.2011 at 20:59

This is revolution. Its heavy and progoressive.

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.

Also, using modern Korn as a reference is never a good thing.

For the 2 posts above. This is my own opinion. I dont listen to metalcore or deathcore but this thing got me by something.I maybe like the modern sounds that they use in all the songs. And for the progressive part maybe i didnt say it exactly right. I wanted to say about all the breakdowns in the songs and the changing rhytm.Sorry if you misudnerstood me. And the new Korn album in my opinion the first 2 songs are awesome. Maybe i just like these "wub-wub-wub" sounds mixed with metal more than the others.
16.10.2011 - 23:12
Rating: 4
jhook
Well.. thats certainly an interesting fusion of genres, but just, no.
and btw saying this is "progoressive"is kind of ridiculous.... assuming you meant progressive and not something else
19.10.2011 - 23:25
brapp32
Really Troy worst album ever. You gotta hate something out there more than this. I actually kind of like it.
20.10.2011 - 05:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 19.10.2011 at 23:25
Really Troy worst album ever.

Not anymore. I just listened to Lulu.
----

Hits total: 6490 | This month: 16