Release date: March 2011

01. Fra Verdenstreet
02. Jeg Faller
03. Valen
04. Vanvidd
05. Enhver Til Sitt
06. Budstikken
07. Til Hel Og Tilbake Igjen

The notorious Count is back with yet another addition to the black metal scene with his first English-titled album, Fallen. And while Varg's post-prison releases are a big deal just for the fact that a murderer's name is attached to the music, the material presented isn't exactly anything stunning. There is definitely something stellar about this album though: the cover art, William Adolphe Bouguereau's very own "Douleur d'amour". Unfortunately, the music doesn't reflect the beauty of the painting.

See, back in the early '90s Burzum was a household name in the Norwegian black metal scene. Then that whole murder/self-defense/prison term thing happened and some years later we had Belus and Fallen released within a year of each other.

So what of the music? Essentially you're in for the typical Vikernes menu. Lo-fi appeteasers, a dissonant garden salad, a grim and frostbitten blue-rare steak, and a... goat for dessert? I don't know, I feel out of touch with the black metal scene when listening to this, much like Varg is showing himself to be out of touch. Especially with those... clean "vocals"? And choruses? He's like Captain Jack Sparrow. The world around him is shrinking, yet his seclusion has led him to believe he's still a master at what he does. Although I'd venture so far as to suggest the captain is a bit of a master at what he does...

15 years in prison did a noticeable number on the Count. The noted perfectionist has all but let his music become somewhat of a shadow of its former self, kind of like a sterile version of Det som engang var with its subtle ambiance to accompany the traditional black metal sound. That being said, Varg is in a no-win situation here. Burzum fans will compare this to his previous works - widely regarded as black metal masterpieces - and black metal fans will compare this with the likes of Wolves In The Throne Room. In either case Fallen will fall to both past and present, although even on its own terms there isn't anything this release can provide that hasn't been provided already.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 13.11.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 71   Visited by: 521 users
14.11.2011 - 13:42
I quite liked ... it's mellow, sweet, almost hypnotic...
14.11.2011 - 15:41
Rating: 7
Slayer666
OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SHITTY AND BIASED THIS UNOBJECTIVE PIECE OF CRAP THAT PASSES FOR A REVIEW IS!!!
God forbid you Eurotard kiddies focus on music itself other than the fact that Varg didn't impale a couple hundred goat-heads on this album! And learn proper ENGLISH, you Canadian fuck!

Hey guys, I'm just practicing my ponderer impersonations. You like?

(nice review, by the way, although I personally rather like the album... it sounds like Varg in love. Shit, compared to Belus, it's a masterpiece.)
14.11.2011 - 16:11
D.a.n
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.11.2011 at 22:56

We only know English.

A bold statement many in the UK would never subscribe to...
14.11.2011 - 17:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by D.a.n on 14.11.2011 at 16:11

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.11.2011 at 22:56

We only know English.

A bold statement many in the UK would never subscribe to...

He didn't even talk about the UK But north america.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 09:44

Written by Daniell on 14.11.2011 at 09:41
What self-defense? Stabbing in the back?

I just don't want him to read something where I call him a murderer lest he decides to fly over here and defend himself in person against my review.

Hhahahahahhahaha this was fucking brilliant
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.11.2011 - 19:34
D.a.n
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.11.2011 at 17:06

He didn't even talk about the UK But north america.

I know what Troy said, me old mate. He talked about the Americans knowing no other languages apart from English...

Anyhow, Troy, if you are reading this: Saw your profile changes. What the hell do you smoke? Looks like some first-class shit! Do write a review in Shona or Ndebele next time...
14.11.2011 - 19:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by D.a.n on 14.11.2011 at 19:34
:dcool: Do write a review in Shona or Ndebele next time...

I would but the language laws of Metal Storm prevent me from doing so.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2011 - 23:57
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
What's funny and at the same time pathetic about this album is the fact that after so many years Varg still hasn't learned to play any instrument properly. Whatever you take, drums, guitars or bass, it's barely adequate, there's not a single shred of actually good musicianship. I'll give Varg one thing - it sounds a lot better than his extremely overrated 90's releases. But it's still quite amateurish. Especially the drumming.

EDIT: no, I don't mean the production, only the musicianship.
15.11.2011 - 00:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
To be honest I think his musicianship is fine. :/ I'm not saying he's Proscriptor on the drums or Abbath on guitar but he still knows how to make music with atmosphere, which I think can be traced back to how he makes the instruments work for him.

And I know you think his early works are overrated, but I think they're superior to this and Belus.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 00:31
Who cares how he plays? As long as he conveys what he feels... and others appreciate it (probably not many, judging by this thread...)...
15.11.2011 - 00:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.11.2011 at 00:31
Who cares how he plays? As long as he conveys what he feels... and others appreciate it (probably not many, judging by this thread...)...

I love his earlier works - some of black metal's finest moments if you ask me. But his contemporary releases just seem...I dunno. "Meh". Like stripped down versions of what he was capable of before.

It's a tough call though. I mean he's had nothing but time to think of this, so you've gotta assume this is as close to exact as he wanted it to sound. Or maybe he didn't think of music at all and rushed to release stuff once he was free in order to remain relevant. Or regain relevance. I dunno.
----
15.11.2011 - 00:44
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 00:35

Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.11.2011 at 00:31

I love his earlier works - some of black metal's finest moments if you ask me. But his contemporary releases just seem...I dunno. "Meh". Like stripped down versions of what he was capable of before.

It's a tough call though. I mean he's had nothing but time to think of this, so you've gotta assume this is as close to exact as he wanted it to sound. Or maybe he didn't think of music at all and rushed to release stuff once he was free in order to remain relevant. Or regain relevance. I dunno.

I don't know either... this album feels personal... I might be able to answer you after a few years in prison...
15.11.2011 - 00:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.11.2011 at 00:44
I don't know either... this album feels personal... I might be able to answer you after a few years in prison...

Maybe that's why it didn't connect. I'm not a criminal.

Yet.
----
15.11.2011 - 03:12
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Varg is not that good a musician, but the ideology, feel and atmosphere presented in his albums was what made him successful. Before prison, it was ideology and true thought. Inside prison, ideology and thought but no BM. After prison, he's just an old man wanting to get a living out of his name. :/
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
15.11.2011 - 03:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Iron Nostarion on 15.11.2011 at 03:12
Varg is not that good a musician, but the ideology, feel and atmosphere presented in his albums was what made him successful. Before prison, it was ideology and true thought. Inside prison, ideology and thought but no BM. After prison, he's just an old man wanting to get a living out of his name. :/

That's actually a really good summary of his musical career.
----
15.11.2011 - 04:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 03:12

Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.11.2011 at 02:17
Go back to jail.

To be honest I seriously think prison changed him for the worse. He doesn't seem to have the same inner angst bottled up to unleash in the recording studio.

yeah big mike from cell block c straightened that out.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.11.2011 - 04:32
Cryzpin
To be honest, taking into account what a musician/person did while judging his music is as incoherent as making his musical achievements being extenuating circumstance at the court, isn't it?
I simply truly love his 90's albums and truly despise his 90's deeds, and it's not paradoxical at all. The prison was meant to quench his fire and apparently/fortunately it succeeded.
16.11.2011 - 04:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cryzpin on 16.11.2011 at 04:32
To be honest, taking into account what a musician/person did while judging his music is as incoherent as making his musical achievements being extenuating circumstance at the court, isn't it?

Are you implying my review isn't objective because the man behind the music happens to be an ex-con?
----
17.11.2011 - 00:11
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Iron Nostarion on 15.11.2011 at 03:12

+1
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.11.2011 - 20:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 21.11.2011 at 20:53
Fallen is cool.The reviewer is obviously a (teddybear) or Hippy and he can suck my hairy A-Hole

Actually I'm a (teddybearish) hippy, and nothing gets me off like some nice ass sucking.
----
22.11.2011 - 23:36
Cryzpin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 04:35

Written by Cryzpin on 16.11.2011 at 04:32

Are you implying my review isn't objective because the man behind the music happens to be an ex-con?

Actually that wasn't meant to you, but i see you may have implied so from the absence of quotations. There were several stupid references to Varg's crimes and jail term (as usual) i just didn't know whom to quote first.
Regarding the review, you have less there about music itself than about the context imo.
And btw what is "ex-con"?
22.11.2011 - 23:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cryzpin on 22.11.2011 at 23:36
There were several stupid references to Varg's crimes and jail term (as usual) i just didn't know whom to quote first.
Regarding the review, you have less there about music itself than about the context imo.
And btw what is "ex-con"?

I don't think those references are stupid. :s
As for the review itself, I purposely did that. I know how to describe music (you can read some of my other reviews for that), but this album was so boring I decided to make the music a secondary element of the review.
As for ex-con - that's just a short form for ex-convict.
----
23.11.2011 - 00:05
Cryzpin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 23:46

I don't think those references are stupid. :s

The stupidness lies - as i have already said - not in the claim itself, but in using it in discussion about music.
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 23:46

I know how to describe music (you can read some of my other reviews for that), but this album was so boring I decided...

Don't worry, i know you know, but from your position you should cling to the substance no matter what.
Offtopic: i have noticed you are either unfortunately/intentionally picking bad albums for review or in crush-them mood recently...and i like that , last time i have seen five consecutive staff reviews with >8 rating, THAT was boring.
23.11.2011 - 00:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cryzpin on 23.11.2011 at 00:05
The stupidness lies - as i have already said - not in the claim itself, but in using it in discussion about music.
Don't worry, i know you know, but from your position you should cling to the substance no matter what.
Offtopic: i have noticed you are either unfortunately/intentionally picking bad albums for review or in crush-them mood recently...and i like that , last time i have seen five consecutive staff reviews with >8 rating, THAT was boring.

I only mentioned the con aspect because it lent itself to the review: in my conclusion I make note of how I get the sense that Varg's prison sentence seems to have diminished his ability to release material in any way comparable to his back catalog. It wasn't a mindless inclusion, I assure you.

As for the bad albums - they are purely intentional. I've got about 5 more to go, with scores ranging between 3 and 7.
----
23.11.2011 - 01:03
Cryzpin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.11.2011 at 00:09

As for the bad albums - they are purely intentional. I've got about 5 more to go, with scores ranging between 3 and 7.

Well good job then, I for myself appreciate that. Appart from insufficiently aloud dichotomy between "good and bad" music (and of course also subjectively) here on MS, i know well the hardship of going honestly, focusedly and (the worst) repeatedly through an album that intensely dissonates with one's taste.
24.11.2011 - 05:01
Slinky666
Account deleted
This guy makes money and music without speaking English for his fans. You are trying to understand him and it is not the other way around. He is still the Count - just an old one and his music gets a bit old - that's all.
24.11.2011 - 05:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.11.2011 at 05:01
You are trying to understand him...

Uh, no I'm not. :s
----
24.11.2011 - 05:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.11.2011 at 05:11
Clearly, Burzum is not for you.

Go back to your cave please.
----
24.11.2011 - 05:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.11.2011 at 05:24
You are talking, be quiet.

a) this is my album review thread
b) 90% of your posts have been on my album review thread
c) I'm a Staff member

Those three letters add up like an algebraic equation to equal my right to keep typing as much as I please.
----
24.11.2011 - 05:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.11.2011 at 05:53
Who is Troy Killjoy? a... b... c...

We can keep this going as long as you want. I don't have anything better to do at the moment, although I'll probably just ask a Mod to wipe this back-and-forth since it's entirely off-topic.
----
07.12.2011 - 19:00
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Loved this! I would give it an higher rating... Anyway! I have an question: Is this really "Black Metal"? No, I mean, some other black metal sub-genre (like ambient, Viking, or any other)? The sound is quite good without (much) screams. I think the Burzum's timeline is incomplete...

Hits total: 9634 | This month: 28