Metal Storm logo
Non-metal musical themes in metal songs

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 15.10.2006 - 00:55
There are a lot of world wide known patterns that are jammed into metal songs. I'd like to collect here those songs.

Examples: Hall of the Mountain King from Edvard Grieg is found in:
Savatage - Prelude to Madness
Helloween - Gorgar
Wolf Hoffmann - In the Hall of the Mountain King
Acopcalyptica - same title

The children song theme "Ein männlein steht in Walde, ganz still und stumm" at the beginning of Vendetta - Drugs and Corruption
Destruction has the Pink Panther theme somewhere on an 80s album of theirs. I guess on the Mad Butcher EP or the Release from Agony album. They play the part on the live album (Live without Sense), too.

Any other examples? I partially would like to hear of other Hall of the Mountain King jams
24.08.2007 - 06:20
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Rhapsody included apart from the "new world symphony" (can't remember teh composer) in their song The Wizard Last Rhymes", ad they based teh intro and some instrumental parts of the song in teh NWS.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.08.2007 - 13:47
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Hey, most of people here know that in Accept's Metal Heart solo is Fur Ellise, but not many know that intro for the same song is from "Marche Slave" (Slavic March) by P.I.Tchaikovsky.
----
27.08.2007 - 20:02
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
- The chorus of Dies Irae (Amadeus), one of Dark Moor's best songs, is the beginning of W.A. Mozart's Requiem. They covered Vivaldi's Winter (sic) as well.
- Metallica, as we all know, covered the traditional Irish song Whiskey in the Jar.
- If you are looking for something less serious, Ten Masked Men is a British Melodic Death Metal band which covers Pop songs and James Bond opening themes. Their versions on Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time" or Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca" will keep you amused for months.
29.08.2007 - 19:27
Nazeef
I see that there's a big difference between "Interpretation" which is "A Cover Song" and the integration of themes which have nothing to deal with interpretation (Re-edition or Metalizing the song..), it's only copying the original theme as it is. Themes are not genres
(Classical; Haggard, Rhapsody...) or (Jazz; Sleep Terror, Into The Moat, Opeth...)
and they're not Modulations or Registers as well (Oriental, African, Latino, Scandinavian, Folk..)
So themes are pasted tracks into metal songs like Lividity's Intros... (Films' Speech Passages or O.S.T, Famous or Eternal passages from worldwide music archive...)
And if You mean non-metal (Metalized Songs) "interpretations" I'd mention
"Adagio - Fame"
"Angtoria - Kylie Minogue's Cover"
"Children of Bodom - Oops I did it again (BS Cover)
"Sinergy - Abba Cover"
"Patrick Rondat - Vivaldi's Cover"
"Jason Becker - His Classical and Baroque Interpretations"
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
31.08.2007 - 17:36
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Yes, I think here "theme" = "passage" = "motif"
C'mon Takt, Whiskey's hardly a metal song, especially the Metallica version
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
31.08.2007 - 18:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Syk on 31.08.2007 at 17:36

Haha, yeah both are boring as shit.
----
01.09.2007 - 20:02
Dekadance
Account deleted
here's one...if it wasnt already mentioned

Mercenary "music non stop" - a metal cover of a pop song
02.09.2007 - 15:38
RavenLord
Bathory - Hammerheart [Twilight Of The Gods]
-The vocal melody is lifted from Gustav Holst's 'Jupiter, The Bringer Of Jollity'. The title of the album is based on an opera by Wagner, I believe.

Primordial - The Cruel Sea [Spirit The Earth Aflame]
-An instrumental adaptation of a traditional Irish folk melody.

All I can think of now.
----
02.09.2007 - 19:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 31.08.2007 at 18:06

Written by Syk on 31.08.2007 at 17:36

Haha, yeah both are boring as shit.

well actually the thin lizzy version is great, but many people might question it's "metalness" so i'll say any "space metal" song
03.11.2007 - 03:25
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
To original poster: Hall of the Mountain King is also featured on The Who's "Who Sell Out", not that that's metal.

My example: Venoms featuring of a short guitar version of "Ring Around the Rosie" in the song "Teacher's Pet".
13.11.2007 - 03:59
Ellie
Account deleted
I guess a really popular example of this could be found in Accept's "Metal Heart." The song; not the album
08.12.2007 - 09:17
shasaam
Account deleted
hmm ... Non-metal musical themes in metal songs..
the great thing about metal is that..
you can have elements of classical like half way through a song,
or jazz...:beer2:
10.12.2007 - 09:32
b0000mst1ck
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 24.08.2007 at 06:20

Rhapsody included apart from the "new world symphony" (can't remember teh composer) in their song The Wizard Last Rhymes", ad they based teh intro and some instrumental parts of the song in teh NWS.

i know this was posted over 3 months ago, but antonin dvořák was the composer of new world symphony.

...sorry, i'm just trying to get 100 posts so i can start making threads.