Metal Storm logo
Non-metal musical themes in metal songs

15.10.2006 - 00:55
okt31
Account deleted
There are a lot of world wide known patterns that are jammed into metal songs. I'd like to collect here those songs.

Examples: Hall of the Mountain King from Edvard Grieg is found in:
Savatage - Prelude to Madness
Helloween - Gorgar
Wolf Hoffmann - In the Hall of the Mountain King
Acopcalyptica - same title

The children song theme "Ein männlein steht in Walde, ganz still und stumm" at the beginning of Vendetta - Drugs and Corruption
Destruction has the Pink Panther theme somewhere on an 80s album of theirs. I guess on the Mad Butcher EP or the Release from Agony album. They play the part on the live album (Live without Sense), too.

Any other examples? I partially would like to hear of other Hall of the Mountain King jams
15.10.2006 - 01:45
W-Lash
Metal Master
Rainbow (i'm almost sure it was it) had a song with HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING theme. But i don't remember how was it called.
Metalheart has a solo that is a beginning of one classical song (the name of it was "Elise" or something like that, it's by Beethoven i think). At least in cover version (by Dimmu Borgir) it is. I haven't heard the original version by Accept but i'm pretty sure there it is too.
There is an English folk song called Greensleeves. I have heard it performed by Stratovarius and Blackmore's Night.
15.10.2006 - 02:25
okt31
Account deleted
Good ones W-Lash. I like them!
Another Savatage one: Mozart and Madness is inpired from Mozart's work (it ws very hard to realie hehe)
Moby Dick - Prometheus - the solo is also Mozart-inspired, I don't know the title of the composition but it's a very famiiar tune..
Yeah, Metal Heart by Accept, I think I've got it.. The DB version has the some part.
15.10.2006 - 11:03
FallenAngel16
Account deleted
I have the Stratovarius-Greensleeves somewhere...Some other onerelated to Mozart that comes to my mind is Children Of Bodom's "Red Light In My Eyes, pt. 2" where the opening riff is from mozart's symphony no. 25 and later, there is a riff from his requiem...If somebody has the new Blind Guardian "A Twist in the Myth": there are very familiar sounding parts, but I can't relate them to actual titles...
15.10.2006 - 23:09
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I think the title is misleading, as everything in metal is metal. Classical music is extremely metal, as is folk music. The masses just haven't realised that yet
18.10.2006 - 17:52
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Speaking of Mozart and classical music songs in metal and stuff, I was listening to some Therion the other night, and all of a sudden I heard the sound of their rendition of 'O Fortuna'. It's on their Deggial album. I'd forgotten it was there actually, lol. It sounds a reasonably original, but with a neat drum beat through it.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
18.10.2006 - 20:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Mytic Forest - Requiem Lunaire is a revision of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Children Of Bodom has some Mozart going on on 'Black Widow'. that's all I can think of right now.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.10.2006 - 23:19
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
In the live version of Overkill's "Rotten to the Core" from "Fuck You!!! And then Some," they suddenly break out into "You Are My Sunshine."
18.10.2006 - 23:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Isn't there some black metal band who composes black metal songs all in acoustic? Does anyone out there know what band I'm talking about because I have been looking for this band for awhile...that would be an example of a metal band who uses metal preconceptualizations to make non-metal songs that was metal to begin with...

What about Yakuza with the jazzy arrangements and random saxophone solos? I just started listening to that band...Sigh is another good example...on their later albums, they have a lot country, jazz, clapping, and other random non-metal weirdness that shows up here and there...
19.10.2006 - 01:11
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 23:33

Isn't there some black metal band who composes black metal songs all in acoustic?

The only band I can think of is Procer Veneficus, but it's not really black metal.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.10.2006 - 01:35
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 23:33

Isn't there some black metal band who composes black metal songs all in acoustic? Does anyone out there know what band I'm talking about because I have been looking for this band for awhile...that would be an example of a metal band who uses metal preconceptualizations to make non-metal songs that was metal to begin with...

Ahhh! i know, the band is Impaled Northern Moonforest
19.10.2006 - 18:38
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Thanks danzig...much help...i'm gonna go download some...
19.10.2006 - 18:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Are you sure you are looking for that parody-band from Anal Cunt's Seth?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.10.2006 - 18:57
Vidrageon
Account deleted
They're a joke band xP
19.10.2006 - 22:39
Necronomicon
Account deleted
anal cunt and impaled notheren moonforest are just so fucking hillarious hehe!! seth is a fucking lunatic..

but ulver have made a only accoustic cd as far as i remember and empyrium is also mostly make accoustic songs with guitar and a special flute.
19.10.2006 - 23:52
Soliloquy
-just pick up 'Trans-Siberian Ochestra'. they keep playing beethovens stuff. mainly their album 'beethovens last night' it has everything, from mozarts 5th, to ninth, to fur elies. and it even has 'marriage of figaro' by mozart. with tons of insane 'emotionful' solos here and there. good band

-Symphony X makes good use of mozarts song called 'lacrimosa' or soemthing like that.
-Therion covered 'O Fortuna' by Carl orff. i think Therion called their version 'Oh Fortuna' with an added 'h'
-steve vai and yngwie malmsteen have played beethovens 5th symphony. i prefer Vai's version over malmsteens.
-Midnattsol and Kamelot use some song by Edvard Grieg. i forgot the edvard grieg version, but Midnattsol's version is 'Tapt Av Hap' and Kamelot's version is 'forever' or soemthing like that..its just use in the solo.
-In Extremo often cover's some classic folk ballads from the ancient times(Well not ancient, but old) like Herr Manglei. as did Haggard
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
21.10.2006 - 10:37
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 19.10.2006 at 23:52

-just pick up 'Trans-Siberian Ochestra'. they keep playing beethovens stuff. mainly their album 'beethovens last night' it has everything, from mozarts 5th, to ninth, to fur elies. and it even has 'marriage of figaro' by mozart. with tons of insane 'emotionful' solos here and there. good band

-Symphony X makes good use of mozarts song called 'lacrimosa' or soemthing like that.
-Therion covered 'O Fortuna' by Carl orff. i think Therion called their version 'Oh Fortuna' with an added 'h'
-steve vai and yngwie malmsteen have played beethovens 5th symphony. i prefer Vai's version over malmsteens.
-Midnattsol and Kamelot use some song by Edvard Grieg. i forgot the edvard grieg version, but Midnattsol's version is 'Tapt Av Hap' and Kamelot's version is 'forever' or soemthing like that..its just use in the solo.
-In Extremo often cover's some classic folk ballads from the ancient times(Well not ancient, but old) like Herr Manglei. as did Haggard

Midnattsol did more of a direct cover of it with some traditional folk lyrics called Tapt Av Hap. Kamelot just took a mellody as the hook in Forever. The Grieg Version I have is called Solveigs Sang.

Forefather - when our England Died is an old folk song with new lyrics
And of course Iced Earth's Angels' Holocaust uses O Fortuna in the intro
22.10.2006 - 17:50
duyhung
Account deleted
Trans-Siberian Orchestra have some works by Beethoven in their concept album 'Beethoven's Last Night' such as 'Moonlight Sonata' or 'Ode To Joy'
22.10.2006 - 18:12
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Tyr take a lot of traditional folk songs, Wild Rover..and quite a few danish ones...if that's what you're going for.
23.10.2006 - 14:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
how about caught in a mosh by anthrax?it could be metalcore,emo,punk,rap,whatever just not thrash metal
most of the humouros metal bands have weird themes
23.10.2006 - 16:35
wrathchild
Staff
Jevo used the the Star Wars Emperor theme in the song "March Of The Crawlians" from his Soulitude project (great power metal downloadable for free).

Metallica used a theme from the movie The Wizard Of Oz as an intro for their song "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" (...And Justice For All).

What else can I think of... the French band Headline used something from Beethoven (piano sonata n° 14 "Clair de Lune") in the song "Bereft Of Sky" from their album Duality.

Ah, and of course, Patrick Rondat (French guitar hero) is known for covering Vivaldi's Summer, but since it's a complete cover, I'm not sure it belongs here.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
26.10.2006 - 01:03
?Bodomchild?
Kiowas of Sepultura doesn't count ? .....its play with the same Kaiwas instruments exept for the guitars....and also its a version in a village a kind of Live version and the song have to be with the massacre of the Kaiowas
----
asd
26.10.2006 - 12:46
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Edenbridge pick up a James Bond theme riff in the opening track (Terra Nova) to their recent album 'The Grand Design'. I think their single before the album was released titled For Your Eyes Only, was James Bond inspired too, judging from the cover, yet i havent head this single yet.
03.11.2006 - 12:16
okt31
Account deleted
King Diamond's No Presents for Christmas.. it's a funny example of this.. One riff at rehearsal seemed similar to a Xmas song and they wrote a song about that...
03.11.2006 - 13:08
Xaphiris
Guys? Can anybody tell me what the hell is a non-metal theme? If it is in a metal song, it's a metal theme. That's the beauty of it... So what if its Mozart of Beethoven?! This is the third millenium, there's a little thing called intertextuality, where text is shaped according to a prior text. Same with music. There are no bounderies as to what metal can be.
----
03.11.2006 - 14:16
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Xaphiris on 03.11.2006 at 13:08

Guys? Can anybody tell me what the hell is a non-metal theme? If it is in a metal song, it's a metal theme. That's the beauty of it... So what if its Mozart of Beethoven?! This is the third millenium, there's a little thing called intertextuality, where text is shaped according to a prior text. Same with music. There are no bounderies as to what metal can be.

That's exactly what I said..

"I think the title is misleading, as everything in metal is metal. Classical music is extremely metal, as is folk music. The masses just haven't realised that yet"

Well, not exactly, but at least you agree with me.
03.11.2006 - 18:55
RavenLord
Technically, the title is correct. Using a musical theme composed outside of metal within metal is a non-metal theme. At first, though, I thought he meant lyrical themes, to which my reaction ws understandably 'wtf?'

Well, Diamond Head's 'Am I Evil?' opens up with a 1 minute rendition of Gustav Holst's 'Mars, the Bringer of War' from the Planets suite on two guitars.

Also, Sepultura's 'R.I.P. (Rest in Pain)' ends with what can only be called a full out thrash out...then (bizaarely), what sounds like music from a funfair, and then more chaos...and end. If anyone has this track, they could probably explain it better :p
----
04.11.2006 - 21:02
okt31
Account deleted
Written by Xaphiris on 03.11.2006 at 13:08

I think RavenLord formulated as clearly as it gets. If it was composed before by non-metal musicians, than it is a non-metal theme. And why can't we collect these outside-of-metal melodies?

Another one: King Diamond - Christmas (on The Puppet Master) the first verse.. Just listen by yourself..
19.04.2007 - 12:45
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Dragonland - Beethoven's Nightmare, from their Astronomy album. Not too sure exactly how it fits into the song, not being extremely familiar with Beethoven's music, but in the album booklet they credit Beethoven for music used in the song.
----
19.04.2007 - 21:35
Destryphior
Heh, CoB Touch Like an Angel of Death from the Tokyo Showdown they have the Rock movie theme as intro. Dark Moor has a couple of classical themes, like Vivaldi's Winter. Cradle of Filth, Nightwish and Behind the Scenery have all used the same classical song, don't remember the name, CoF-Swansong for a Raven, BtS in their Epilogue from the album Of Honesty Forbidden, but I can't recall which Nightwish song it was. Well I think Game over has the most non-metal themes in their nintendo-core tracks