07. Eternal
08. Moon Light Wave
09. Dedicated To Violator
10. Merry-Go-Round
11. La+
12. Sai-Ka-No
13. Void Dmn-str-mix [Japanese bonus]
14. Royal Sky [Digipak bonus]

There comes a time in every man's life when he asks himself: Am I metal? Vanilla or chocolate? Fart or hold it in at the mercy of this hot chick in line next to me at the super market? And especially the age-old question: Why don't girls find me approachable? Well, it's probably because they're steering clear of your sweet (yet highly dangerous) moves while you're dancing to Blood Stain Child's latest album, you friggin' weirdo.

Now before hearing εpsilon, I was only familiar with Blood Stain Child's album, Mozaiq, and I have to admit that I was not entirely convinced with the band's blend of electro-pop and metal. To me, it sounded like Children Of Bodom with electronic elements kinda forced into the concoction. But I figured they were still experimenting, so I let it slide (but just that once). Luckily, I think they've really found a great balance with εpsilon, given that I can't really figure out if I would describe the music on this album as metal or electronic. And it certainly doesn't take the most worldly person in the world to figure out that εpsilon is clearly an album spawned from the Land of the Rising Sun at first listen. For lack of a more concrete description, it's like someone took a modern Children Of Bodom-ish album, taped it to some sugar, strapped it to a unicorn and then launched the mythical horse into the depths space where cotton candy grows on meteors.

To be honest, I'm not going to sit here and describe each element of the music. This is because, besides the great female-fronted vocals, nothing really stands out or is all that special; it's the final product that matters here. εpsilon is an album full of aggressive electro-metal music that is full of catchy beats and melodies that will make you groove whether you want to or not. Sure, half of εpsilon could be considered filler, but the album's great flow and really (and I mean really) infectious, catchy songs more than make up for it. Metal purists will probably hate this after a minute of listening, but the rest of us who are looking for something a bit easier and fruity to listen to (admit it... that's like most of the population of us Metal Stormers) will be shitting rainbows and dancing around their living room for months to come. εpsilon is pure ear candy for those able to stomach it. With that being said: happy listening, space cowboys.

Songs that will make your body move: "Stargazer", "Electricity", and "Dedicated to Violator".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Fat & Sassy! | 25.12.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 525 users
25.12.2011 - 06:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
This is straight-up the equivalent to a lump of coal in your stocking.

And not the good kind of coal either. >>

Funny review though. Made me literally blow air through my nostrils. That's how funny it was.

PS trancecore is the worst
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.12.2011 - 07:00
Rating: 8
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 06:50

Funny review though. Made me literally blow air through my nostrils. That's how funny it was.

PS trancecore is the worst

Thanks! IT IS MY AIM TO PLEASE.

Also, this... is "trancecore"? Like hardcore? Sounds like power-ish metal more than anything else to me.

AND ALSO ALSO, I friggin' just noticed that I unintentionally kinda made what could be mistaken for a reference to an anime series with my closing comment. Whoops! A slap on the ass to the first loser that can figure out which one I'm talking about! ^-^
25.12.2011 - 07:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.12.2011 at 07:00
Also, this... is "trancecore"? Like hardcore?

Trancecore is this new thing going around where melodic metalcore, synth pop and trance all get tossed into a blender (similar to The Browning). Some bands focus on one of those elements more than others. BSC seem to have balanced their watered down melo-death with trance and (subjectivity aside) made it work. I personally despise the sound but at least they found a common ground, whereas The Browning made their trance elements seem awkward and completely out of place.

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.12.2011 - 07:12
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

Trancecore is this new thing going around where melodic metalcore, synth pop and trance all get tossed into a blender (similar to The Browning). Some bands focus on one of those elements more than others. BSC seem to have balanced their watered down melo-death with trance and (subjectivity aside) made it work. I personally despise the sound but at least they found a common ground, whereas The Browning made their trance elements seem awkward and completely out of place.

Oh, I agree. The Browning sounded like clashing poops.

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

XDDD
25.12.2011 - 07:24
strade

If this doesn't end up in somebody's signature, I'll be shocked.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
25.12.2011 - 07:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by strade on 25.12.2011 at 07:24

I'll be honored if it does.
----
25.12.2011 - 07:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Meh, who needs girls when you got Metal?

*closes the blinds and has a good cry*
25.12.2011 - 07:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.12.2011 at 07:54

Meh, who needs girls when you got Metal?

*Underlying moral of this review has been realized* x3
25.12.2011 - 08:28
Rating: 9
Cyroth
Agree with the review, this album is simply great for those who don't mind the easy listen. But I must say, I find it that they resemble In Flames in the infectious solos and other guitar parts, more that CoB. The first two albums were CoB worshipers writen over them.
----
25.12.2011 - 08:34
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Cyroth on 25.12.2011 at 08:28

But I must say, I find it that they resemble In Flames in the infectious solos and other guitar parts, more that CoB. The first two albums were CoB worshipers writen over them.

Yeah, I can understand that. I was originally going to compare them to both bands, but I hate getting hung up on comparisons, so I picked one. In Flames just doesn't have that power metal feel that this album has.

But hey, what do I know? I'm not really a fan of In Flames or CoB (so I'm no expert on their music).
25.12.2011 - 08:59
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Each paragraph is golden haha
----
loves 小巫
25.12.2011 - 09:01
Rating: 9
Cyroth
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.12.2011 at 08:34

But I must say, I find it that they resemble In Flames in the infectious solos and other guitar parts, more that CoB. The first two albums were CoB worshipers writen over them.

Yeah, I can understand that. I was originally going to compare them to both bands, but I hate getting hung up on comparisons, so I picked one. In Flames just doesn't have that power metal feel that this album has.

But hey, what do I know? I'm not really a fan of In Flames or CoB (so I'm no expert on their music).

Indeed, but the solos just scream In Flames to me. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure my vote will got for this album if there is a section for electro/trance/industrial metal.
----
25.12.2011 - 10:18
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie

AND ALSO ALSO, I friggin' just noticed that I unintentionally kinda made what could be mistaken for a reference to an anime series with my closing comment. Whoops! A slap on the ass to the first loser that can figure out which one I'm talking about! ^-^

It seems kind of fitting for the album to close with an anime reference.

Anyways it's Cowboy Bebop, DUH! My ass is all ready for a good ole fashioned cyber-slap.
25.12.2011 - 10:39
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Cyroth on 25.12.2011 at 09:01

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.12.2011 at 08:34

Indeed, but the solos just scream In Flames to me. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure my vote will got for this album if there is a section for electro/trance/industrial metal.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether it would be under power or melodeath, but it'll definatly be getting my vote in the MS awards. The funest album since There Be Squabbles Ahead.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.12.2011 - 11:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Funny review. I stayed away from this album like plague and I don't intend to check it out ever... after a song, it was painfully clear I'd waste my time with this
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.12.2011 - 11:44
Rating: 7
neonxaos
I must confess that I love this album. I wouldn't rate it as any kind of masteripiece, but damn, is it just FUN. I like that metal has sides like this.
25.12.2011 - 11:51
Uldreth
Written by strade on 25.12.2011 at 07:24

There you go!
25.12.2011 - 14:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I enjoy this album a friggin lot. Love your review Fatty. Disagree about the highlights though... Stargazer is awesome but the othe two are meh. The ones that make me dance and feel all fuzzy inside are: Sirius VI, Forever Free, Stargazer and my personal favorite: Merry-Go-Round... The chorus of that track gives me diabetes type over 9000.

But yeah, your review was boss.

This line is pure gold... I'm *this* (picture me making a tiny gesture with me fingers) close to make it a signature.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2011 - 15:03
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This has got to be the most pop, catchiest, most happy, fun, fun, FUN! (metal) album i've ever heard. And playing it almost every day doesn't help. AND YES, this got me dancing like a complete idiot on Christmas Day.
25.12.2011 - 15:16
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say I enjoyed this one. Every now and again you need to enjoy some catchy pop metal, if only to give yourself a little variety.
25.12.2011 - 20:42
Santa Eater
Account deleted

I don't know what series you're referring to, but... Can you please slap my ass anyways?
25.12.2011 - 21:04
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I saw the cover and I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it.
Then I read the review and convinced myself I wouldn't like it.
But I'm just checking some songs and I'm sorta liking it, what kind of sorcery is this?
25.12.2011 - 21:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 25.12.2011 at 21:04

I saw the cover and I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it.
Then I read the review and convinced myself I wouldn't like it.
But I'm just checking some songs and I'm sorta liking it, what kind of sorcery is this?

Same thing happened to me, it was one of the cds I heard the most during the summer and I still listen to some songs
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2011 - 23:38
RavenKing
The cover seems to be taken directly from Final Fantasy XIII.
This music is kinda catchy but there is absolutely nothing metal musically. Only a few screamed vocals here and there among the electro-pop shit.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.12.2011 - 00:23
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 25.12.2011 at 08:59

Each paragraph is golden haha

Thanks!

Written by Marcus on 25.12.2011 at 10:18

It seems kind of fitting for the album to close with an anime reference.

Anyways it's Cowboy Bebop, DUH! My ass is all ready for a good ole fashioned cyber-slap.

Fuck yeah, son! *smacks ass* >:[

Written by M C Vice on 25.12.2011 at 10:39

The funest album since There Be Squabbles Ahead.

+1 to cool points for mentioning such an awesome album. ;3

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.12.2011 at 14:00

I enjoy this album a friggin lot. Love your review Fatty. Disagree about the highlights though... Stargazer is awesome but the othe two are meh. The ones that make me dance and feel all fuzzy inside are: Sirius VI, Forever Free, Stargazer and my personal favorite: Merry-Go-Round... The chorus of that track gives me diabetes type over 9000.

Thanks, and I like these songs, but I figured I'd chose my favorites. No point in recommending *every* song. xD

Written by CyberSymphony on 25.12.2011 at 15:03

This has got to be the most pop, catchiest, most happy, fun, fun, FUN! (metal) album i've ever heard. And playing it almost every day doesn't help. AND YES, this got me dancing like a complete idiot on Christmas Day.

Yay! ULTIMATE CHRISTMAS JAMS.

Written by RavenKing on 25.12.2011 at 23:38

This music is kinda catchy but there is absolutely nothing metal musically. Only a few screamed vocals here and there among the electro-pop shit.

There are clearly also heavy riffs and very melodic metal solos. The music can be so drenched in synth, it can be distracting. Also, I kinda feel like most of the songs have a noticeable level of aggression to them, helping it sound a bit more "metal". But yeah, as described, this is far from any kind of pure metal.
26.12.2011 - 04:32
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Whenever I listen to this album, I feel like Agnes in "Despicable Me" screaming IT'S SO CATCHY I'M GONNA DIE!! ...... IT'S SO CATCHEH!!!!!11

And you stole the rainbow-shitting line from me >:[
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
26.12.2011 - 20:36
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Promonex on 26.12.2011 at 04:32

Whenever I listen to this album, I feel like Agnes in "Despicable Me" screaming IT'S SO CATCHY I'M GONNA DIE!! ...... IT'S SO CATCHEH!!!!!11

XD I know how that feels.

Written by Promonex on 26.12.2011 at 04:32

And you stole the rainbow-shitting line from me >:[

But... but... I shit rainbows all the time... ;______________;
26.12.2011 - 20:42
AngelCorpse13
Anime album is like anime. That is all.
26.12.2011 - 21:48
Progpostman
Pretty good album !
Surprisely issue,very good production,catchy melodies...
Nice !
26.12.2011 - 22:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Hilarious review from the sassy of the sassiest. Also, I think I will never listen to this album.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 7116 | This month: 11