Metal Storm logo
Doom Thrash?

02.04.2012 - 06:44
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
I had no idea such a thing could exist until I heard this:

Cerebral Fix manage to blend Thrash with Doom metal here, I had never heard anything like it.
Anyway, are there any other Thrash/Doom combinations out there you would recommend, because after this I want more!
02.04.2012 - 09:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
This album was released in 1990. Back then no one felt the irresistible urge to invent gazillions of sub-genre names. Cerebral Fix was a thrash band back then, and nothing else. Nobody tried to call them doom because they slowed down their music from time to time. You might as well call Slayer a thrash/doom band because of the song "South of Heaven"...

So sorry there dude, you didn't discover a new sub-genre
02.04.2012 - 14:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lair Of The Minotaur are largely considered a sludge thrash band, so technically doom/thrash in a wider sense of the term:

02.04.2012 - 16:25
Branzig
Hmmm, I don't really consider either band to be "Doomy."

Could just be me though, I like my brand of doom to be slow, crunchy, and groovin. Cerebral Fix has always just been a thrash band to me, and I have never really listened to Lair of the Minotaur before, but those two samples were just sludge to me haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
02.04.2012 - 16:31
Edmund Fogg
Cabrocordero is a two men Doom/Thrash band from Argentina

http://cabrocordero.bandcamp.com/
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.04.2012 - 16:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't really think doom/thrash is anything close to a legitimate genre. Sludge/thrash hybrids exist and like Joe said before, on a larger scale that's sort of like saying doom/thrash, but you're not going to be able to mix Candlemass with Slayer properly. The styles basically oppose each other in every sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.04.2012 - 17:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 02.04.2012 at 16:25

Hmmm, I don't really consider either band to be "Doomy."

Could just be me though, I like my brand of doom to be slow, crunchy, and groovin. Cerebral Fix has always just been a thrash band to me, and I have never really listened to Lair of the Minotaur before, but those two samples were just sludge to me haha.

Sludge and stoner both technically fall under the doom umbrella, and neither of them are particularly "doomy" much of the time ;] Black Sabbath were never especially doomy either.

There's definitely thrash in Lair of the Minotaur though. I couldn't find any decent representative songs of the band on Youtube.

That Lord Mantis band (who you love so much) have some thrash influence on their first album too:

Pretty fucking doomy if ask me.
02.04.2012 - 21:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I think Paradise Lost's third album, Shades Of God might be one of the albums I've heard that comes closest to idea of thrash/doom.

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.04.2012 - 21:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.04.2012 at 21:04

I think Paradise Lost's third album, Shades Of God might be one of the albums I've heard that comes closest to idea of thrash/doom.

I don't hear thrash there. SOme slightly thrashy moments, but that's it. I would describe it as full out heavy metal with doomy passages.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2012 - 21:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2012 at 21:06
I would describe it as full out heavy metal with doomy passages.

Could be true considering that sometimes I have a hard time making some differences between light thrash and some heavy that is heavier than usual
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.04.2012 - 21:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I always thought Shades of God was more of a death doom album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.04.2012 - 21:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 21:12

o.o

I don't hear anything death about it. In their first two albums yeah but not this one.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.04.2012 - 21:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 21:12

already veering away from the death doom on that one, there still some death doom left on it though. Icon is even a step further away from it and Draconian Times has no death doom left. the only truly death doom albums by PL were Lost Paradise and Gothic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2012 - 21:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2012 at 21:14
already veering away from the death doom on that one, there still some death doom left on it though.

Ya that's what I meant. Like it's not purely death doom, but the foundation from their first two is still apparent throughout the album. Good album either way, but I still don't think anyone here will actually uncover anything that can be solely labeled "doom thrash".

Those are like two of the genres you're most familiar with so if you don't know anything that fits then I don't imagine any of us here do.
----
02.04.2012 - 21:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 21:18

Those are like two of the genres you're most familiar with so if you don't know anything that fits then I don't imagine any of us here do.

I have been wrecking my feeble brain over it ever since that first post and really can't think of anything. Although when I saw the subject title I thought of the English band Sacrilege. But they released a 100% pure thrash album and a 100% pure doom album but unfortunately no mix of the two.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2012 - 21:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 21:18
Good album either way, but I still don't think anyone here will actually uncover anything that can be solely labeled "doom thrash".

This threads reminds me a little bit about the "fast drone" thread.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.04.2012 - 21:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.04.2012 at 21:42

Exactly. Someone hears one song that sort of has elements of like one or two genres and they start asking for entire discographies in the same style.

Chances are these genres don't exist for a reason.
----
02.04.2012 - 21:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 21:46

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.04.2012 at 21:42

Exactly. Someone hears one song that sort of has elements of like one or two genres and they start asking for entire discographies in the same style.

I just saw someone describe an album by Aura Noir as funeral thrash. WTF? Hahahaha, that is even weirder than doom thrash. What's next drone thrash?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2012 - 22:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2012 at 21:51

drone thrash?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.04.2012 - 00:28
strade
If you like doom/thrash, definitely check out Dream Death's cult classic debut. It sounds a hell of a lot like Celtic Frost...
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
03.04.2012 - 07:04
Branzig
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.04.2012 at 17:14

That Lord Mantis band (who you love so much) have some thrash influence on their first album too:

When did I ever say that I loved Lord Mantis?
----
In Grind We Crust
03.04.2012 - 07:54
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Daniell on 02.04.2012 at 09:54

This album was released in 1990. Back then no one felt the irresistible urge to invent gazillions of sub-genre names. Cerebral Fix was a thrash band back then, and nothing else. Nobody tried to call them doom because they slowed down their music from time to time. You might as well call Slayer a thrash/doom band because of the song "South of Heaven"...

So sorry there dude, you didn't discover a new sub-genre

I had anticipated that this would be contentious so bare in mind that by no means do I refer to the label 'doom/thrash' in a strict sense whatsoever. I mean it in a very loose sense, as Joe does with his sludge/thrash example.
Also bare in mind when I say doom, I don't mean full on Funeral Doom. What I have in mind is, in itself very loose in definition, the kind of doom that flirts or is largely infused with a more traditional Heavy metal pace/tone etc. Also could incorporate stoner/sludge elements etc. It's probably not all that beneficial to give you an example of what I mean, partly because I'm not entirely sure what I mean either I mean it's all very unstable ground really, as applying labels often is.

Your point about there being no need at the time of this album's release to throw labels around willy nilly is more than valid to me, it makes my attempt to find more stuff like Cerebral Fix, and attaching a definite label to it, look like I'm clutching at straws

Above all if you think the whole idea is nonsensical that's fine, but for those who share your opinion what I'm after is Thrash that sounds like this, or Thrash that attempts or claims to somehow, no matter the result, infuse doom with thrash metal. Chances are, even if there is no valid justification for such a thing as doom/thrash, the examples will bear some resemblance to each other. That's ultimately what I'm after, more music like this, I'm not seeking to crusade for genre definition.
03.04.2012 - 08:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Quote:
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 16:38

I don't really think doom/thrash is anything close to a legitimate genre. Sludge/thrash hybrids exist and like Joe said before, on a larger scale that's sort of like saying doom/thrash, but you're not going to be able to mix Candlemass with Slayer properly. The styles basically oppose each other in every sense.

Now when I say Thrash I use this very broadly also. People seem to have a Slayer fixation, the kind of Thrash I mean will have to be something quite a bit different from their style I think. Candlemass is a plausible, or at least more plausible than some, candidate for this kind of genre blurring.

When you say the styles oppose each other do you mean in general or in all circumstances, i.e. do you think doom + thrash is totally impossible?

A band with a discography full of this sort of stuff would be a dream. I'd be delusional to think that there is some out there though, let alone full albums, let alone complete songs But wherever someone thinks that this sort of blurring occurs I would be interested to find out, as going off what I heard with Cerebral Fix, and the examples above, it produces interesting results.
04.04.2012 - 01:27
TrollandDie
Well the idea of thrash is fast and quick chord changes. The reason why death can mix with doom properly is that it doesn't require any tempo restrictions; growls are usually the only addition to death/doom-along with internal song-structure changes depending on the band.

With thrash however the idea of the genre in the first place is to play at a consistently chirpy tempo i.e. pretty much the anti-thesis of doom. If there's a group out there zany and good enough to somehow, out of any possibility, mingle the two together...then that would be a new discovery for me.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
08.04.2012 - 09:48
bran
Written by TrollandDie on 04.04.2012 at 01:27

Well the idea of thrash is fast and quick chord changes. The reason why death can mix with doom properly is that it doesn't require any tempo restrictions; growls are usually the only addition to death/doom-along with internal song-structure changes depending on the band.

With thrash however the idea of the genre in the first place is to play at a consistently chirpy tempo i.e. pretty much the anti-thesis of doom. If there's a group out there zany and good enough to somehow, out of any possibility, mingle the two together...then that would be a new discovery for me.

yeah i just dont see how a doom/thrash genre is even possible. like another poster said thrash and doom are complete opposites but who knows like you said maybe their is someone out there that can meld to the 2 together and come up with something cool
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
07.11.2012 - 11:12
Aristarchos
I have seen Dream Death being labelled as doom/thrash or doom/death/thrash.

edit: I now saw that they were already mentioned.
16.11.2012 - 02:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by R'Vannith on 02.04.2012 at 06:44

I had no idea such a thing could exist until I heard this:

Cerebral Fix manage to blend Thrash with Doom metal here, I had never heard anything like it.
Anyway, are there any other Thrash/Doom combinations out there you would recommend, because after this I want more!

Yeah man great band, I love Cerebral Fix ! But im not too sure if you can call this doom/thrash uh... actually im not too sure if Doom fits with thrash but anyways.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.11.2012 - 05:16
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Guib on 16.11.2012 at 02:16

Yeah man great band, I love Cerebral Fix ! But im not too sure if you can call this doom/thrash uh... actually im not too sure if Doom fits with thrash but anyways.

As a whole I would still call it doom/thrash I think, but its more like some tracks are just heavy/doom styled and some straight up thrash. Perhaps not much where you could claim that the two actually "merge."

Though this track was hardly thrash in the first place check out this cover of "Feast of the Fools" by Monkeypriest. These guys play sludge so it sounds even more "doomy":

17.11.2012 - 13:33
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2012 at 21:51

I just saw someone describe an album by Aura Noir as funeral thrash. WTF? Hahahaha, that is even weirder than doom thrash. What's next drone thrash?

I remember I have seen the description funeral power metal somewhere. I don't remember what album it was, but it didn't sound like power metal to my ears, and perhaps not funeral doom either.
26.12.2012 - 13:17
Aristarchos
The brilliant record Into The Abyss by the German band Poison is often described as death/thrash metal, but also contains an element of doom. Highly recommended.