03. Operation Anthropoid
04. Finished Sympathy
05. Turning Tides
06. Pride
07. Dismal Life
08. Aggressive Depression
09. Chained
10. Plead Not Guilty

More generic old school Swedish-style death metal. This time, not only is it mind-blowingly uncreative, it's also very thin sounding! Hooray!

This stuff never seems to baffle me, every aspect of Death Strike is so stupidly assembly-line worthy it's really hard to believe even the members actually give a shit. Sound bites from war movies? Check. Military-themed band & album name? Check. Flavourless riffs and even more flavourless vocals? Check. So there it is. That's it, seriously. The one redeeming factor? Well, I guess it's got a few Entombed influences here and there, not done well enough to take this over Entombed, mind you.

The production here is about the only thing that stands out, and not in a good way. Reviewing generic death metal album after generic death metal album means you're eventually going to come across something produced by Dan Swano, which usually means you get some thick production values to make things a little more digestible. Or, on the other hand, you get some scummy, crusty, nasty ass raw production which is even better. Massive Assault fits into neither of those, it's just thin and flat sounding. Sure, the bass is audible, but audible bass doesn't automatically equate to having a bottom end.

This sure as hell won't be the last utterly forgettable death metal release I'll end up reviewing, and probably not the most worthless by any stretch...So 5.1 points for not being the worst. Wouldn't it be great if people started putting a little creativity into their creations?

Written on 08.04.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 93 users
08.04.2012 - 04:42
DeathRich
And for those of us that love the Swedeath, we can ignore this review and have a hell of a good time blasting this album!
08.04.2012 - 15:19
Mattybu
Written by DeathRich on 08.04.2012 at 04:42

And for those of us that love the Swedeath, we can ignore this review and have a hell of a good time blasting this album!

Or just, listen to it then go find a different, good album and blast that instead.
08.04.2012 - 15:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

All you need is Intestine Baalism. Pretty much ended the need for Swedish death metal.
09.04.2012 - 01:42
Rating: 5
strade
Agreed. Boring as hell. The OSDM Bargain Bin is already starting to get pretty full and we just finished the first quarter of the year. Seriously, how many of these releases do we really need? You're a brave man, Doc; how you manage to vary up your descriptions for shit like this, I'll never know. I can barely manage a paragraph per entry.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
09.04.2012 - 22:13
TrollandDie
I love when people accuse and say modern death metal is bullshit because it should stick with the original fundamentals; because they're all too caught up in technical wankery or keyboard melodies or some shit like that. While this is complete bullshit with regards to berrating new(er) bands I'd rather take technical wankery and keyboard melodies over some typical generic death metal any day.

There's a reason people turned their attention elsewhere after all this Scandinvian dust had settled following the likes of Entombed and Unleashed: it didn't evolve and didn't improve on the early greats. No point trying to go against the tide if you don't have a valid reason to do so.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
12.04.2012 - 22:44
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Mattybu on 08.04.2012 at 15:19

Or just, listen to it then go find a different, good album and blast that instead.

hmmm lets see what have we here.... Oh look it good old Vomitory with their cult masterpiece Raped in Their Own Blood... Now its time for a blast... \m/ \m/

Hits total: 3584 | This month: 7