Metal Storm logo
Bassist/Vocalist from early metal bands still kicking the most ass?

Poll

Which of these Bassist/Vocalists lead the best early thrash band?

Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
Tom Angelripper (Sodom)
Cronos (Venom)

Total votes: 90
06.11.2006 - 09:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I know this seems like a very specified poll, but looking at info on these bands I found it kind of odd how three of the bands coming out of the late 70's/early 80's that helped make metal what it is today are all lead by a bassist/semi-harshed-vocalled vocalist (all leading 3 piece bands) who is also the only original remaining member of the band. So the judging criteria is whose band was the most influential, whos band made the best albums and whose band is kicking the most ass currently, and why?

Oddly enough I had my voting priveleges revoked for 175 more days so im not aloud to vote on my own poll. Otherwise Id vote for Cronos, because Metal Black was an amazing alum, many people put it down but i see it as just like old Venom but with better production/recording quality.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.11.2006 - 03:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Hmmm......I don't know if I'd call motorhead a Thrash band but, I'm going with lemmy. He's extremely talented and has a very unique voice. And the most Important reason is, well, to quote Airheads.

Guy1: Who's better, Lemmy or god?
Guy2: God?
Guy1: Trick question, Lemmy is God.

hehe
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.11.2006 - 07:02
Mega-Slayer
Without a doubt Angelripper,he shined on their new self-titled album.When I bought it I was really pleased that he still managed the intesity of his vocals,that he had in the old classic records,I mean they sounded better than ever.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
07.11.2006 - 08:15
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Steve Digorio, not in the options, think he's still doing what he does the best.
07.11.2006 - 09:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
where's tom araya?not exactly early thrash but he's still kicking ass for sure
but from the list i'd say lemmy,since sodom kind of went downhill and venom...well venom had their 15 minutes
17.01.2007 - 07:36
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Screw Lemmy hes overrated, its between Tom and Cronos, i would have to say tom becuase he is younger and dosent have to use cruches just yet and Tom im sure can still move around fine and stuff, but i didint see Schimer, or Tom Araya in this poll, i think there should be more options.
17.01.2007 - 08:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Immortal Plague on 17.01.2007 at 07:36

Screw Lemmy hes overrated, its between Tom and Cronos, i would have to say tom becuase he is younger and dosent have to use cruches just yet and Tom im sure can still move around fine and stuff, but i didint see Schimer, or Tom Araya in this poll, i think there should be more options.

I didnt put Tom Araya on it because this poll is to decide which band leader can still kick the most ass without all the original members.
----
- George Carlin
17.01.2007 - 09:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wow...the three of them are still kicking major ass as much as the last. The only one on there that is really thrash in my personal opinion would be Sodom, so my vote goes to Tom Angelripper.
18.01.2007 - 03:08
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Doc G. on 17.01.2007 at 08:32

Written by Immortal Plague on 17.01.2007 at 07:36

I didnt put Tom Araya on it because this poll is to decide which band leader can still kick the most ass without all the original members.

O i see your point, but still you should of put Schimer from Destruction.
08.02.2007 - 00:49
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I choose Lemmy,he's brilliant vocalist.Motorhead kicking ass others
08.02.2007 - 11:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Why the hell is Lemmy there? Okay, Motorhead did inspire a lot of thrash bands, but they certainly aren't any sort of thrash whatsoever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2007 - 18:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2007 at 11:58

Why the hell is Lemmy there? Okay, Motorhead did inspire a lot of thrash bands, but they certainly aren't any sort of thrash whatsoever.

you sort of answered your own question. There all early forms of thrash and yeah Motorhead did inspire alot of thrash, thats why Lemmys on there.
----
- George Carlin
08.02.2007 - 18:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 08.02.2007 at 18:24

you sort of answered your own question. There all early forms of thrash and yeah Motorhead did inspire alot of thrash, thats why Lemmys on there.

What I am saying is that Motorhead is NOT an early form of thrash. Thrash metal; bands were also inspired by bands such as Iron Maiden Angel Witch Judas Priest, hell, even Black Sabbath, and none of those bands are early thrash either.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2007 - 02:47
heresiarch
Forever Dead
God and Lemmy is taking a wrestling match -- who will win? wrong answer it is a trick question , Lemmy is GOD
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
03.04.2007 - 08:25
Thrash666
Angelripper rules over all!!!!!!!!!!!! he is fuckin amazing and is definately getting my vote. and where the hell is tom araya???
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
03.04.2007 - 08:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Thrash666 on 03.04.2007 at 08:25

Angelripper rules over all!!!!!!!!!!!! he is fuckin amazing and is definately getting my vote. and where the hell is tom araya???

Like ive said about 6 times throughout this thread already. I chose a bassist/vocalist who is the only original member of the band, who can carry on the band the best without the members that got them famous. I also chose very early forms of thrash (hence why Motorhead was thrown into the mix), im aware that Motorhead arent thrash at the moment but listening to earlier material such as 'Overkill' you can definitly see the influence they had on thrash.
----
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 09:17
Thrash666
Written by Doc G. on 03.04.2007 at 08:47

Like ive said about 6 times throughout this thread already. I chose a bassist/vocalist who is the only original member of the band, who can carry on the band the best without the members that got them famous. I also chose very early forms of thrash (hence why Motorhead was thrown into the mix), im aware that Motorhead arent thrash at the moment but listening to earlier material such as 'Overkill' you can definitly see the influence they had on thrash.

i totally agree with u. Motorhead in some ways has moments of thrash which have played some influence on bands like Metallica. but i think if u r gonna talk about thrash, early thrash at that then u should have angelripper and araya on the voting poll. slayer and sodom are two of the pioneers of thrash and motorhead or venom really arent thrash so they shouldn't be in this poll
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
03.04.2007 - 09:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Thrash666 on 03.04.2007 at 09:17

i totally agree with u. Motorhead in some ways has moments of thrash which have played some influence on bands like Metallica. but i think if u r gonna talk about thrash, early thrash at that then u should have angelripper and araya on the voting poll. slayer and sodom are two of the pioneers of thrash and motorhead or venom really arent thrash so they shouldn't be in this poll

But once again your missing the point, im talking about guys who are the only original member of there group, last time I checked the only person who ever left the band was Lombardo. If this was simply a pioneers of thrash poll do you really think id leave out the almighty Slayer?
----
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 09:27
Thrash666
Written by Doc G. on 03.04.2007 at 09:20

Written by Thrash666 on 03.04.2007 at 09:17

But once again your missing the point, im talking about guys who are the only original member of there group, last time I checked the only person who ever left the band was Lombardo. If this was simply a pioneers of thrash poll do you really think id leave out the almighty Slayer?

i understand what u r saying about the only oringal member but venom and motorhead dont belong in this poll so u need 2 find other bassist/vocalist who is in a early thrash band who can go against angelripper. yea araya wont work for this poll becuase king and hanneman never left but there r other dudes who r better for this poll than lemmy and cronos
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
29.04.2007 - 20:36
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Interesting thread, too bad there's so much people that don't understand why Slayer doesn't belong there and why Motorhead and Venom do.

Anyways I have to pick Cronos of Venom. He created one of the most influential, best sounding bands of all time and we have to give him credit for that. All his work may not be Thrash but the stuff that isn't is close enough lol (speed metal is thrash's slightly lighter brother).
29.04.2007 - 22:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 29.04.2007 at 20:36

Interesting thread, too bad there's so much people that don't understand why Slayer doesn't belong there and why Motorhead and Venom do.

Anyways I have to pick Cronos of Venom. He created one of the most influential, best sounding bands of all time and we have to give him credit for that. All his work may not be Thrash but the stuff that isn't is close enough lol (speed metal is thrash's slightly lighter brother).

Thank you sooooo much, for being the first person who actually read the details in the first post and didnt bitch about who should/shouldnt be on the poll.
----
- George Carlin
30.04.2007 - 01:09
APOHAKC
The Bard
Cronos is my favorite, I love that guy lol
But I voted for quality this time, and it is Lemmy
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.05.2007 - 04:53
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Cronos is awesome and so are Venom "Black Metal"
22.06.2007 - 07:04
UpTheIrons666
I saw this topic and the first thing I thought was LEMMY! He is Motorhead, and Motorhead are one of the most important Metal bands ever.
22.06.2007 - 08:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Lemmy from Motorhead is kicking it the most still out of those three totally...Venom don't have too much to do with thrash...they have more to do with crap actually...Sodom are kinda sloppy so the answer is obviously Lemmy...
22.06.2007 - 12:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How I didnt saw this poll
I woud say other because AC Wild from Bulldozer why he isnt here? Alos can be here too and Quorthon(Listen early Bathory and understand why)and many others for example Kreator vocalist but from list I prefere lemmy more then Venom and Sodom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2007 - 21:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
why isn't norway listed in your pool?*

* some of you will get the reference to an earlier poll and laugh. for the rest of you, ignore this post. it is not in any way, shape, or form serious.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.06.2007 - 23:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 22.06.2007 at 21:45

I dunno any norvegain band from 80ties who play thrash metal and singer was bassist too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2007 - 23:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2007 at 18:50

Written by Doc G. on 08.02.2007 at 18:24

What I am saying is that Motorhead is NOT an early form of thrash. Thrash metal; bands were also inspired by bands such as Iron Maiden Angel Witch Judas Priest, hell, even Black Sabbath, and none of those bands are early thrash either.

And if we are having Lemmy up there who is not thrash, where is probably the greatest bass/vocalist, Geddy Lee?
----
(space for rent)
23.06.2007 - 01:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Bad English on 22.06.2007 at 23:26

Written by BitterCOld on 22.06.2007 at 21:45

I dunno any norvegain band from 80ties who play thrash metal and singer was bassist too

you didn't read my disclaimer at the bottom, did you?

the op of this thread has on several occasions explained why Slayer Tom is not listed on the poll... and yet people continue to ask why he is omitted.

This reminds me of the "best black metal country" poll someone had started, where he did not list Norway as an entry, explaining in the original post that everyone would vote for Norway, so there was no point in listing it - it was all to see of the remaining countries, which had the best scene.

and yet 2/3 of the responses were from people asking "Where's Norway?" "What, no Norway - you're an idiot!" "Norwegian BM rules - how could you leave them out?!"

In short, a lot of metalstormers don't even bother to take the freaking time to READ THE POSTS, they are just too busy formulating their response to add +1 to their post count to bother to take the time to look things over and provide a meaningful response that fits the parameters put forth by the creator of the thread.

i still miss the "Can metalstormers read?" thread. I need to buy whoever authored that thread a six pack.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!