Metal Storm logo
Screamo/Emo/Post-Hardcore

Original post

Posted by Uldreth, 28.06.2012 - 00:33
I assume I am not the only one on MS who is into these closely related, often indistinguishable styles of music and I can't see any topic dedicated to these yet so here we go...

Lately I've been listening to tons of screamo but overall I still don't know as many bands that I'd like to know so I appreciate any recommendations.

Some bands I am into:

Saetia

Notres Langues Nous Trompent
An Open Letter

City of Caterpillar

A Little Change Could Go A Long Way
Minute Hour Day Week Month Year (The Faiths In My Chest)

Pianos Become The Teeth

Cripples Can't Shiver
I'll Be Damned

La Dispute (thanks Troy)

Edward Benz, 27 Times
King Park
The Last Lost Continent

Barrow

The Undertow
Where I Was

Circle Takes The Square and Envy are on my list to check out more in-depth, both are really good from what I heard from them so far.

Let this be the thread to list and "disquss" favourite bands, ask for recommendations, post new releases, etc.
11.09.2012 - 20:17
Uldreth

A bit different kind of post-hc.
I want to know more of Hopesfall, it seems like I would really like that band.
05.12.2012 - 22:52
Uldreth

So fucking good.
08.12.2012 - 14:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Uldreth on 05.12.2012 at 22:52

So fucking good.

Thanks for the rec...
----
rekt
22.12.2012 - 11:57
Uldreth
Circle Takes The Square made their new LP freely downloadable for a limited time.

Gogo get it!

http://ctts.bandcamp.com/
22.12.2012 - 12:19
IronAngel
Written by Uldreth on 22.12.2012 at 11:57

Circle Takes The Square made their new LP freely downloadable for a limited time.

Gogo get it!

Sweet. Wasn't big on last year's EP to be honest. Hopefully this is better. Not that I was ever crazy about their debut. It's above average but the singular experience some seem to present it as.
22.12.2012 - 12:51
Uldreth
Written by IronAngel on 22.12.2012 at 12:19

Written by Uldreth on 22.12.2012 at 11:57

Gogo get it!

Sweet. Wasn't big on last year's EP to be honest. Hopefully this is better. Not that I was ever crazy about their debut. It's above average but the singular experience some seem to present it as.

Haven't heard the EP before, but this sounds quite a bit different from As The Roots Undo. I am really liking it so far (but I also loved the debut).
12.01.2013 - 14:52
IronAngel
I'm on an emo spree today. Started out with a Fugazi spree yesterday, so today I put on Rites of Spring. After that, some Brand New, Moss Icon and Cap'n Jazz. Hadn't heard those three before. Back to Sunny Day Real Estate after Can's Tago Mago. (Needed a krautrock break!)
12.01.2013 - 17:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by IronAngel on 12.01.2013 at 14:52

I'm on an emo spree today. Started out with a Fugazi spree yesterday,

I can't stop jamming them. Waiting Room is such a good song. Need to pick up some of their cds.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.01.2013 - 17:35
IronAngel
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.01.2013 at 17:32

I can't stop jamming them. Waiting Room is such a good song. Need to pick up some of their cds.

I don't really have a favorite song, but I really like the direction they took on The Argument. Not that it has much to do with this topic, except by band connections.
05.04.2013 - 01:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Awesome post-hardcore. Anyone know anything similar?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.04.2013 - 23:50
Uldreth
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.04.2013 at 01:44

Awesome post-hardcore. Anyone know anything similar?

I'd say this is more melodic hardcore/metalcore than post-hardcore.

Check out While She Sleeps, Counterparts, Defeater, Comeback Kid, Modern Life Is War and Departures, I believe all those should be somewhat similiar to this at least in some aspects.

Ont, but unrelated, I've been listening the shit out of this album lately.
15.05.2013 - 00:14
Uldreth

With a progressive mindset.
25.05.2013 - 20:21
Metal|Bleed
I wonder how many people think "screamo" = "anything with screaming" ?
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
26.05.2013 - 05:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Metal|Bleed on 25.05.2013 at 20:21

I wonder how many people think "screamo" = "anything with screaming" ?

Definitely a lot, that's for darn sure.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.06.2013 - 00:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Wtf, I just listened to a band playing post-rock with screamo voice. It didn't work. At all.
----
rekt
16.06.2013 - 15:09
IronAngel
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.06.2013 at 00:32

Wtf, I just listened to a band playing post-rock with screamo voice. It didn't work. At all.

You mean, like, every post-metal/atmospheric sludge band ever?

But yeah, most screamo bands are rather close to post-rock instrumentally, though they don't do the crescendos and long build-ups that the genre often works with. Envy are probably the type example of screamo/post-rock synthesis. But the new Deafheaven album is not far off, either.
23.06.2013 - 23:50
Uldreth
Written by IronAngel on 16.06.2013 at 15:09

Written by tea[m]ster on 15.06.2013 at 00:32

But yeah, most screamo bands are rather close to post-rock instrumentally, though they don't do the crescendos and long build-ups that the genre often works with. Envy are probably the type example of screamo/post-rock synthesis. But the new Deafheaven album is not far off, either.

Yep, it's pretty much they either do that, or they take the Saetia/Loma Prieta/Ampére/Beau Navire approach and go grindcore.

Also - haven't listened to the new Deafheaven yet, which frankly surprises me but hell, did read reviews though but in this regard they seemed... inconclusive to me.

So based on yer comment I guess they toned up the 90s screamo elements that already were somewhat present in the debut (although I'd say almost only in the vocals, and well, those lyrics could fit easily on ANY 90s screamo album, but those are hardly music-defining things)?
If so I'm gonna listen asap.

Edit:
Also: Life At These Speeds - Knives
This seems really awesome - and post-rock influenced - but I can't even yarr this blasted album.
24.06.2013 - 01:28
IronAngel
Written by Uldreth on 23.06.2013 at 23:50

Also - haven't listened to the new Deafheaven yet, which frankly surprises me but hell, did read reviews though but in this regard they seemed... inconclusive to me.

So based on yer comment I guess they toned up the 90s screamo elements that already were somewhat present in the debut (although I'd say almost only in the vocals, and well, those lyrics could fit easily on ANY 90s screamo album, but those are hardly music-defining things)?
If so I'm gonna listen asap.

Perhaps a little, yes. They also go for post-rockish song structures much more, reminding me quite a bit of Envy actually. Much fuller and more "metal" sonically, but the riffing and everything is much closer to these genres than (black) metal, IMO. Not that it's the first album I'd recommend to a screamo seeker, it was half a tongue-in-cheek comment since I know tea[m]ster liked the album (somewhat) and "post-rock with screamo vocals" is exactly how I'd describe it.

New Caravels album is on Spotify. It's a few months old but I hadn't noticed it before, anyway. Kind of good, vocally in half-clean post-hardcore territory with relatively serene and mid-paced backgrounds. "Post-rock" is overused, but I hear the occasionally Slint and Fugazi references in the instrumentation.
27.06.2013 - 18:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by IronAngel on 16.06.2013 at 15:09

Probably. But this stuff was bad. Here it is:
http://malon.bandcamp.com/
----
rekt
11.07.2013 - 12:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.06.2013 at 18:41
Probably. But this stuff was bad. Here it is:
http://malon.bandcamp.com/

Not only is that band complete shit... They also ruined a perfectly fine scene from Requiem For A Dream. The painting doesn't look good at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.09.2013 - 13:11
Aristarchos
My favourite screamo band is gospel
29.09.2013 - 14:04
Uldreth

This is one of the best representations of the nowadays so popular modern post-hardcore/metalcore music imo.

Despite their leanings on the same tendencies other risecore bands follow, they drown many of their songs in extremely lush post-rock-esque lead guitars that just sound damn gorgeous.
01.10.2013 - 18:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Uldreth on 29.09.2013 at 14:04

This is one of the best representations of the nowadays

And there is a lot of this stuff nowadays. The fad of the moment. Can't read any music blog without seeing a ton of stuff on metalcore/post hardcore. I've tried most of it and it's really getting boring. Hurry up Amia Venera Landscape and release a new album!
----
rekt
02.10.2013 - 22:37
Uldreth
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.10.2013 at 18:57

This is one of the best representations of the nowadays

And there is a lot of this stuff nowadays. The fad of the moment. Can't read any music blog without seeing a ton of stuff on metalcore/post hardcore. I've tried most of it and it's really getting boring. Hurry up Amia Venera Landscape and release a new album!

A New AVL album would be awesome. Could do with Devil Sold His Soul as well though.

And yeah, I agree most of that is quite boring but honestly, the album from I linked is really damn good. City In The Sea also released something perhaps a bit similiar this year. Nothing special as well, but damn they have some spacey ambience at places (including one track comprised only of that) and really tasteful guitar work.

Not sure if you'd like this stuff, however for something you might actually like, this is a very early example of fusing post-hardcore with metalcore and is probably closer to Hopesfall than these scenecore bands, and damn I just love this album:

04.10.2013 - 17:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Uldreth on 02.10.2013 at 22:37

Not sure if you'd like this stuff, however for something you might actually like, this is a very early example of fusing post-hardcore with metalcore and is probably closer to Hopesfall than these scenecore bands, and damn I just love this album:

Alright man, I will be sure to check your recs out!
----
rekt
09.10.2013 - 03:52
Uldreth
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.10.2013 at 17:48

Written by Uldreth on 02.10.2013 at 22:37

Alright man, I will be sure to check your recs out!

Btw Teamster, dunno if you know that band but a couple of days ago I've found a band called Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, they seem to play a really weird mix of mathcore, post-hardcore and progressive rock and aside from being really damn good, it also seems quite unique to me.

13.11.2013 - 01:04
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
LOVE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

07.12.2013 - 02:21
SolracV

This is one of the best representations of the nowadays so popular modern post-hardcore/metalcore music imo.

Despite their leanings on the same tendencies other risecore bands follow, they drown many of their songs in extremely lush post-rock-esque lead guitars that just sound damn gorgeous.

Fucking Of Machines!!!!!

Bands I like include Dance Gavin Dance, Lower Definition, This Town Needs Guns, American Football, The Fall of Troy, Woe, Is Me (first album), Cap'n Jazz, Algernon Cadwallader and A Skylit Drive (first two albums)
20.12.2013 - 10:59
IronAngel
Written by SolracV on 07.12.2013 at 02:21

Fucking Of Machines!!!!!

Bands I like include Dance Gavin Dance, Lower Definition, This Town Needs Guns, American Football, The Fall of Troy, Woe, Is Me (first album), Cap'n Jazz, Algernon Cadwallader and A Skylit Drive (first two albums)

Yeah. Did not like that Of Machines song at all. American Football and Cap'n Jazz are the kind of classics everyone probably ought to know. You've heard Mike Kinsella's new Owen album? Not that it has anything to do with this topic apart from the band connections, but it's good. Also see: Rites of Spring and Hüsker Dü for some early pioneers.
22.12.2013 - 01:29
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Anyone knows something else with clean female vocals like this?

better if J-Pop like =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei