02. Ripped To Shreds
03. Altars
04. The Somber (Desolate Winds)
05. Fleshrot
06. The Ritual
07. Fatal Dreams
08. Sleep Sickness
09. The Eye Of Madness

There are two kinds of people: those who buy big-name, boxed cereal and those who settle for the generics in the bags. Yeah, there are "people" who don't eat cereal at all, but they're inconsequential to the extreme, so they don't count.

Horrendous have made a generics-in-the-bags kind of DM album here.

That said, I'm not so sure that calling them a generics-in-the-bags band is fair just yet. Happens that, like with Malt-O-Meal's Cinnamon Toasters, say, the generics-in-the-bags in question is just as tasty as the big-name stuff it copies (Cinnamon Toast Crunch?). They've made a clone kind of album here, but it's got just as much flavor and attitude (or "soul," if that's not too stupid to use here) as the original bands' DNA that all their pounding riffage is copied from.

It's an old school-style, revivalist death metal album that sounds unequivocally like an old school-style, revivalist death metal album. But, in this case, I mean that in the closest-to-best-way possible. It's nasty, Florida meets Martin Van Duren meets a Flux Capacitor meets a meat grinder, br00tal shit that shouldn't be passed up without at least sampling. It's got the dirt, got the muck and slime, got the evil-sounding, slightly doomed-out melodic flourishes, and has got all of the fuck-you-I'll-chew-your-face-off kind of attitude one expects from the sort of things Floridians have influenced; everything you need to start headbutting your pets.

Is it derivative? Shit yes, it is. Almost every fucking moment. But, contrived? No. It sounds like it wasn't made solely out of hero-worship and faux-nostalgia; it was made because Horrendous can do what the American DM bands of yore did/do, and do it just as well. It's not by any stretch original, nor is it honestly all that unique, but it sounds real fucking good.

Written on 08.07.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 166 users
08.07.2012 - 22:06
Mattybu

Good review. It's a great point that even when a band can be derivative and use typical features of a genre it doesn't mean their music sucks. Albums like this are often times a lot of fun when they're done well.
10.07.2012 - 05:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I prefer knock-off Alphaghetti, but for me it's Fruit Loops all the way.

Now I'm hungry.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.07.2012 - 06:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I don't count?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.07.2012 - 08:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Cereals suck donkey balls, no matter which sorts.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2012 - 00:53
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I could eat cereal all day, every day. Plain shredded wheat with skim milk. My body is ready

Oh and this album is cool!

Hits total: 4632 | This month: 4