Metal Storm logo
Deeds of Flesh

16.11.2006 - 02:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Deeds of Flesh is a brutal death metal band from California. Since 1994-ish, they have released many consistantly good albums, all of which I own. The drummer is very fast, with relentless blast beats, while Jacoby and Erik belch out the monstrous vocals. It's hard for me to pick which of their albums are their best because pretty much everything they've made is good, but I've been listening to Crown of Souls quite a bit lately. Not only do they make great music, but they founded one of the finest record label out there- Unique Leader Records.

I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice and I must say that they are one of the best live death metal bands I've ever seen. They have great energy and the most pits are always as brutal as the music. They're really in tune with the fans which is a cool thing to see, and it's pretty obvious that they persuade the bands on their label to do so as well. Every time I see a band from Unique Leader Records live, the members always hang out with the crowd before and after the show and give autographs and have lengthy conversations with everyone. I've talked to Jacoby, the bassist and vocalist, a couple of times and he's a really cool guy.

Anyways, what do you guys think about them?
16.11.2006 - 02:53
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Yep. Deeds of Flesh is some great brutal death metal. My favorite album has to be "Inbreeding the Anthropophagi".
16.11.2006 - 04:17
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Was about to see them with Decrepit Birth, Vile, and Odious Mortem this past summer on the Bloodletting tour, but the venue never confirmed the date, which i discovered on the day of the show. That sucked big time.

Anyways, Deeds is a great band indeed.
16.11.2006 - 08:02
Herzebeth
I did a review of their latest album a while ago..they're fucking brutal indeed. Thier drummer is one sick motherfucker..not for his work, but he's seriously damaged, I was like..chating..with this guy (I was supposed to do an interview with him) but I don't know if he was drunk or wasted...but damn he started saying all this crazy things about puss and eating sandwiches with nails and corn...did you heaR??? CORN??? lol
----
16.11.2006 - 08:10
Mega-Slayer
Written by Herzebeth on 16.11.2006 at 08:02

I did a review of their latest album a while ago..they're fucking brutal indeed. Thier drummer is one sick motherfucker..not for his work, but he's seriously damaged, I was like..chating..with this guy (I was supposed to do an interview with him) but I don't know if he was drunk or wasted...but damn he started saying all this crazy things about puss and eating sandwiches with nails and corn...did you heaR??? CORN??? lol

Could've been a combination of alcohol and drugs Anyway I need to check them out,the only real brutal death metal band I listen to is Suffocation,unless you consider Cannibal Corpse,Immolation or Hypocrisy to fit the bill.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
16.11.2006 - 08:22
Mega-Slayer
Alright I just heard "Feeding Time",and it has all the right material,killer drums,riffs and the vocals,well I really enjoy the intesity of them,reminds me of Frank Mullen on "Effigy".
----

16.11.2006 - 08:34
Herzebeth
DUUUUUUUDE....you seriously need to hear stuff like:

Spawn Of Possession
Necrophagist
Beheaded
Psycroptic
Devourment

and I'll keep the list short so you can check 'em out...I like you're style dude, Suffocation is my favorite band
----
16.11.2006 - 16:50
Thanks for putting in the topic.

Anyways, I downloaded nine songs for free off the internet from these guys (from their home page, as well as the Deeds of Flesh fan club @ myspace, if anyone is interested), and liked them enough to think that they could potentially challenge Suffocation as my favorite band. So, I decided to purchase Path of the Weakening, which was somewhat of a disappointment. The drummer was obviously skilled, but felt the need to throw blast beats in all of the songs at all times. Don't get me wrong, I love blast beats as much as the next guy, but he needs to remember that it isn't a necessity for 100% of the song. In addition, the drumming was so fucking loud that I had no idea what was going on with the bass and guitar (on my piddily stereo, at least). That was obviously more of a production issue. What I could make out of the remaining instruments on the album were a plus though.
I think the thing that really sets this band apart is the guitar...Very, very cool. Not to mention the dual vocals and the drums, yes the drums. On eight of the nine songs I heard off the internet (excluding Lustmord), the drummer could throw out a crazy blast beat, but remember to slow it down, so it kept the beats heavy, as opposed to a headache. Another great thing was that the more I listened, the more I enjoyed them. While some bands get old very quickly, these guys only grew on me.
In other words, I really think that this band could be one of my favorites, and that Path of the Weakening may have just been spoiled by production issues and an overreliance on blast beats. Does anyone know of another good Deeds album to recommend, or one that doesn't have the problems that I mentioned?
16.11.2006 - 22:22
Mega-Slayer
Written by Herzebeth on 16.11.2006 at 08:34

DUUUUUUUDE....you seriously need to hear stuff like:

Spawn Of Possession
Necrophagist
Beheaded
Psycroptic
Devourment

and I'll keep the list short so you can check 'em out...I like you're style dude, Suffocation is my favorite band

Yeah I forgot to mention I love Cryptopsy,definitley brutal/technical death.I need to check those bands out,Necrophagist will be here with Cannibal Corpse amd Dying Fetus and I cant fucking see them
----

17.11.2006 - 03:12
spirit_inblack
harshhead
One of the better brutal death bands. Very, very consistent, but not as good as Suffocation. The best album is either "Inbreeding The Anthropophagi," "Crown Of Souls," or "Mark Of The Legion."
17.11.2006 - 03:28
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I just Recently got into these guys and there pretty damn good, I can see The Cannibal Corpse Influence in them.:lol:
17.11.2006 - 16:26
Written by Dangerboner on 17.11.2006 at 02:39

Written by theflyingmachine on 16.11.2006 at 16:50

Thanks for putting in the topic.

Anyways, I downloaded nine songs for free off the internet from these guys (from their home page, as well as the Deeds of Flesh fan club @ myspace, if anyone is interested), and liked them enough to think that they could potentially challenge Suffocation as my favorite band. So, I decided to purchase Path of the Weakening, which was somewhat of a disappointment. The drummer was obviously skilled, but felt the need to throw blast beats in all of the songs at all times. Don't get me wrong, I love blast beats as much as the next guy, but he needs to remember that it isn't a necessity for 100% of the song. In addition, the drumming was so fucking loud that I had no idea what was going on with the bass and guitar (on my piddily stereo, at least). That was obviously more of a production issue. What I could make out of the remaining instruments on the album were a plus though.
I think the thing that really sets this band apart is the guitar...Very, very cool. Not to mention the dual vocals and the drums, yes the drums. On eight of the nine songs I heard off the internet (excluding Lustmord), the drummer could throw out a crazy blast beat, but remember to slow it down, so it kept the beats heavy, as opposed to a headache. Another great thing was that the more I listened, the more I enjoyed them. While some bands get old very quickly, these guys only grew on me.
In other words, I really think that this band could be one of my favorites, and that Path of the Weakening may have just been spoiled by production issues and an overreliance on blast beats. Does anyone know of another good Deeds album to recommend, or one that doesn't have the problems that I mentioned?

yeah, Path of the Weakening is my least favorite of their albums. The song, I Die On My Own Terms, kicks ass though. Anyways, you'd be safe buying any of their other albums. Crown of Souls, Inbreeding the Anthropophagi, Mark of the Legion and Trading Pieces are very good. If I remember correctly, Gradually Melted has kinda iffy production, but it's not bad. Finally, Reduced to Ashes is also pretty good, but the drums do kinda overpower everything a tad. I've only listened to that album once though and don't really remember it.

Ok thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check out one (or maybe all) of those albums.
17.11.2006 - 21:27
Remus
That drummer is shit fast on the double-bass. Jeez, Crown of Souls has amazing drums!!!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
20.11.2006 - 06:20
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Definatly one of my favourite (Brutal) death metal acts at the moment. Recently purchased 'Path Of The Weakening' and thought it was good but from what I've heard from their other albums seems to be weaker.

Brutal blast beats, killer riffs and the growls/grunts... ah, just a freaking awsome band. Want to know when they're releasing because I'm guessing it will be just killer and be up there with their other more popular and brutal albums.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
20.11.2006 - 17:41
btw...If anyone is interested, ITunes now has Sinister's Cross the Styx, Diabolical Summoning, and Hate. Those three albums are excellent dark death metal that has been EXTREMELY hard to find.
13.03.2007 - 05:05
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
News has been posted informing of a new album to be recorded:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=4396

This is excellent news, all my favourite Death Metal acts seem to be releasing (or have released in previous year) this year, and Im really keen on hearing with what they come up with this time. They said its going to be more Technical... damn thats fine with me. Cant wait!
----

Hellcunt Smurf
13.03.2007 - 21:15
Glad to see this thread revived from the dead, and even happier to see that they are releasing another album soon. I wonder what direction they'll take, since their music has evolved a little...but not like most groups.

Bought Inbreeding the Anthropagi and Reduced to Ashes this weekend...I don't think that I've listened to Inbreeding enough to have a solid opinion yet, while Reduced is just fucking godly. Why is that album not considered essential to every death metal fan? I don't think that the music is quite as brutal as Inbreeding, but the execution is amazing, and the production job was certainly better than on Inbreeding, not to mention the hideous production job of Path of the Weakening. Some of the songs on Reduced are definitely better than others, but there is no filler.
13.03.2007 - 22:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd rather have the new Deeds of Flesh album be more brutal than technical, but I guess they've already released tons of brutal albums, so it's probably good they're trying to progress. Since the bar has been raised in today's death metal musicianship, and since they are the main band in their label, I'm sure it will be good.
14.03.2007 - 01:24
Stigmatized
No matter if it's more technical or more brutal, I bet it will be awesome.
14.03.2007 - 15:59
And the other big news from this band is that Jacoby is leaving...Erland from Vile is taking over Bass duties, not sure who'll be doing vocals. Here's the statement:

"To begin, I want to express my gratitude to all of the Deeds of Flesh fans and friends out there who have supported me throughout my 14 year tenure as Bassist/Vocalist for the band. It makes me sad to know that I won't see a lot of you whom I have come to know so well. As for myself, I can no longer live the life of a traveling musician; therefore, I am giving up my position in the band to someone who can put 100% into it and keep the music going strong. I will continue to support the band and help out in any way I can. I still love Death Metal and all things dark and that will not change. This is by far the hardest decision I have ever made in my life, but it is for the betterment of Deeds. It would not be fair to my band mates to not put full effort into the music.

Erland will do a kick ass job in my place. Many of you have seen him play with Vile on the European and U.S. tours in 2006. The guy is a freakin machine. He will play on the new album and will tour with the band. He is a great guy and I am glad someone like him will replace me."

Makes me wonder even more how the new album will sound
15.03.2007 - 00:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by theflyingmachine on 14.03.2007 at 15:59

And the other big news from this band is that Jacoby is leaving...Erland from Vile is taking over Bass duties, not sure who'll be doing vocals.

Makes me wonder even more how the new album will sound

Erik Lindmark will be doing the vocals, just as he's always done. He shared vocal duties with Jacoby, but I've always felt that Erik had the stronger voice.
15.03.2007 - 16:52
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Doesnt seem as bad as I initially thought it would be with Jacoby leaving, as Erik seems to be picking up the vocal work (according to Pyroleprechaun) which will stil sound simular to the DoF vocal sound. The bass work shouldnt sound all that much different to the previous works as its just bass (imo, kind of easy to fill).

Still looks good for the new album.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
15.03.2007 - 21:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I wonder how much input Jacoby had on their upcoming album.
16.03.2007 - 04:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hehe I just realized that with the addition of Erland, half of the band consists of ex-Vile members.
06.06.2008 - 18:36
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
What's happening with these guys, i haven't had any news on their upcoming album, are they recording it right now, what's the catch ?
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
07.06.2008 - 01:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Their new album is due sometime in the Fall. They keep on delaying it >:(
14.10.2009 - 07:53
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Like this band....met dude man guitar/vox a couple times at different shows while they toured Path of the weakening.
26.01.2010 - 07:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I listened to these guys for the first time in a while, and I forgot how much I like them. Inbreeding the Anthropophagi and Reduced to Ashes are my favorites, but Crown of Souls and ...Of What's to Come are great as well. I recently saw their DVD the other day and it reminded me of how good they were the couple times I saw them, so I had to re-review their discography.
26.01.2010 - 18:10
Yea they are pretty great, although there is a lot of crap mixed in with their good material. I've gotten into Trading Pieces a little more lately, which sounds almost nothing like the rest of their discography, but it is definitely a nice change of pace. Of What's to Come is a good album which is their most technical and has great production. But, I was left thinking something was missing on that album.
27.01.2010 - 06:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by theflyingmachine on 26.01.2010 at 18:10

Of What's to Come is a good album which is their most technical and has great production. But, I was left thinking something was missing on that album.

Yah dude - Jacoby