02. Molten Iron
03. Carry The Torch
04. Livin' Above The Law
05. Heavy Metal Seax
06. Metalhead
07. High On Metal
08. Warfeast
09. Need For Speed

If there's one new album I really want to send to bands like White Wizzard, this is it. High On Metal is a heavy/speed metal album that puts the actual revival of heavy tunes decidedly above the revival of the 80s rocker image and posturing.

Main reason why this is successful where other revivalist heavy metal discs aren't though, as far as I can tell at least, is that these guys draw on more than just Priest, Maiden, and the other NWOBHM bigs, pulling just as much (if not more) from early punk and Motörhead. This is an album to shotgun cheap beers, kick kindergarteners, and trash Holiday Inns to; it's visceral stuff, not the kind of purely nostalgic bullshit that's to be expected from so many young bands now that draw from the Reagan/Thatcher decade?a decade that most of their members weren't born in and, ostensibly, know little-to-nothing about.

Seax sound like they play exactly what they want to play merely for the fact that they want to play it. Whatever emphasis placed on 80s fast-and-cheap aesthetics on this thing is thoroughly overpowered by the fist-to-the-table accentuation of fun in the end. Yeah, the riffing is all very heard-it-before and the lyrics are borderline retarded, but it's all about the "fuck you, I'm drunk" energy here.

Savageness is put higher up on the priority list here than denimed-out, aviator-wearing stylishness (though, there's nothing inherently wrong with that kind of fashion on its own) and goofy, ozone-murdering-hair-spray-frizzed haircuts (...there is something inherently wrong with those). It's REAL revivalist heavy metal through and through.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 05.08.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 213 users
05.08.2012 - 04:31
Susan
Smeghead
EXCELLENT review. Well written, and I'm totally sold.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.08.2012 - 00:22
wormdrink414

Thanks! Really good album here. Somehow made even better by throwing on an album like Flying Tigers beforehand.
06.08.2012 - 15:22
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
I'm so getting this now.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
06.08.2012 - 19:47
Malignar

Very punky. Just warning people that don't like punk. I thought I was gonna hear some early Iron Maiden but I'm hearing 95% bouncy punk (power chord strumming) riffs.

I suppose if you like punk this would be really good.
06.08.2012 - 20:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Malignar on 06.08.2012 at 19:47

Very punky. Just warning people that don't like punk. I thought I was gonna hear some early Iron Maiden but I'm hearing 95% bouncy punk (power chord strumming) riffs.

I suppose if you like punk this would be really good.

Punk? From where the hell this dropped in? Well brother you stoked me more.

I thought it would be a complete thrash album which swings between Heavy to Speed and filled with crushing riffs. Well, so do the reviewed say so.
06.08.2012 - 23:31
JÄY
Metal slave
Yes. punk. sad.

Hits total: 5574 | This month: 15