05. Division
06. Tools Of Separation
07. Grateful
08. A Screaming Breath
09. My Soul's Affliction
10. Driven
11. Brotherhood?
12. Release [remix]

Even like 3 years after my first listening "session" with this piece, I can't really measure how much I really like it. Once I retrieve it from the magic box of mine I spend days only spinning these eleven songs, then it takes like half a year to even touch it again. I know many people have the same thing with certain music but for me it's only like 2-3 bands. What I can tell though right at the beginning of this is that it's one of the most important progressive thrash metal release ever since it hit the stores.

Anacrusis, from US, was less popular during its existence in its own country than in Europe, which if I remember correctly was a major issue for a couple of other big names as well (Psychotic Waltz anyone?). I guess that's what kept them motivated to evolve from pure aggressive thrash (the debut Suffering Hour) through a bit of experimenting (Reason) to more complex and inspired music (Manic Impressions and this). Sadly, it didn't work out for them enough to keep it running, but talking about the what they have put down on the table we can be very grateful for that few years. None of the albums were actually bad or anything but for some reason they couldn't come to the surface.

The signature sound of Screams And Whispers is created by a lot of contrast with clean guitar passages and some symphonic cuts between really heavy riffs that you would expect from Pantera (R.I.P. Dime). With this they really made the album quite the standout of this sub-genre. The same quality was reflected lyrically; writing about personal tensions, deep meaning of emotions, paradoxes, lack of people's faith and convergence, questioning values and whether they are real or not. On a similar note I can only mention Cyclone Temple's debut album, The Beyond from the UK and couple of other bands that are more grunge than thrash metal.

Finally, a small drawback after all: for me the only problem of Screams And Whispers is that not all the songs are really that good, sometimes if I'm totally out of the mood at some songs I feel like listening to a bunch of meaningless riffs packed after each one other.

Personal favourites (and recommendations for those who want to grip the feeling of it): "Sound The Alarm", "Grateful", "Brotherhood", "My Soul's Affliction".

P.S.: Good news are that the band is active again and recording new material. Get prepared!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by qlacs | 11.12.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Markku
Rating:
"Screams And Whispers" is the fourth and last album USA (St. Louis) based prog/thrash band Anacrusis released before their split up in 1993.

This release is much different from their early creation, the "Annihilation Complete" demo and the first full-length album "Suffering Hour." "Screams and Whispers" is most mature of all the Anacrusis albums; the raw speed and thrashiness of Suffering Hour has been replaced with really nice melodies and well thought out arrangements. There's no atmosphere to a usual thrash band, but this album has plenty of it - there's that glow around the music which brings up certain emotions to listeners. A lot of what's mentioned has been achieved with a new feature used on this album - orchestral hits (notice the huge influence of Celtic Frost's "In To the Pandemonium" album here, that has been stated by Ken Nardi himself in the band biography) and of course the unique vocals combined with brilliant twin guitar work.

Read more ››
published 13.06.2006 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 35 users
11.12.2012 - 08:47
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What??? New material? Seriously? Stoked!

Back to your little story... I feel similar about this album: nothing really like it around, but indeed some songs sometimes don't sound all that great, but I have to admit I have not delved into this album as much deeply as I could have.

My song recommendation would be "Too Many Prophets" --> crazy multi-layered song.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.12.2012 - 19:47
Rating: 10
Vasil de Shumen

for sure - the best album of 1993 !

Hits total: 2683 | This month: 8