09. Land Of The Free
10. The Saviour
11. Abyss Of The Void
12. Time To Break Free [feat. Michael Kiske]
13. Afterlife
14. Heavy Metal Mania [Holocaust cover] [2002 digipack bonus]
15. As Time Goes By [pre-production version] [2002 digipack bonus]
16. The Silence '95 [2002 digipack bonus]

"Land of the Free" is the first Gamma Ray album without Scheepers on lead vocals. From now on Kai Hansen takes his place, so we can say good bye to old Gamma Ray and welcome to the new.

The album could not begin in a better way: "Rebellion In Dreamland" is one of Gamma Ray's best songs for sure; for a long time it was my favourite. It's a song in which you can find good drums, a great solo and beautiful epic parts. "Men on a Mission" is a fast song, good old power metal. "All of the Damned" has a nice catchy chorus and so has track 11 "Abyss of The Void." Track 7, "Farewell," is a good ballad. Here we have the first guest on the album, and what a guest it is! Hansi Kürsch, Blind Guardian's front man, contributes his voice in this song which makes it much better. "Salvation's Calling" is another fast song, but there's nothing too special in this one. The next song, "Land of the Free," has it all. It has fast and slow parts, a nice chorus and good guitar leads which makes it one of the best on the album. The second guest appears on track 12, "Time to Break Free;" again I could say "what a guest it is." Michael Kiske sings the whole song, and does it so good that the song becomes another highlight.

"Land Of The Free" is an almost perfect album that shows in the best way that Gamma Ray can always do better. Also it marks the beginning of a new era for the band, and considering how good this album is, we can be sure that this new era will bring happy times to all Gamma Ray fans.

Written by Fierce Deity | 20.06.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 167 users
04.12.2006 - 01:23
Rating: 8
iaberis
Advice Troll
Indeed a great album... I'd downloaded once and since I like it, I'm going to buy it soon... I don't want this thing out of my collection!
----
Bitch! Please
30.06.2007 - 01:11
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Great, Great album

"Fareweel" with Hansi Kursch and "Time To Break Free" with Michael Kiske, two legend together. !!!
10.02.2008 - 21:30
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
This is certainly a great album. The drums are insane... Gods Of deliverance is teh best track IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.04.2008 - 01:57
IconMaiden

very good album, just getting into it. had it available for years but never gave it enough of a chance
08.04.2009 - 21:45
Rating: 8
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I find this record to be fairly mixed in terms of the strength of song writing. Some of the best Gamma Ray tracks so far are in this release, but the filler is a little too much to make it a truly great album. I like the theme and it is good for a listen through. 'Rebellion In Dreamland', 'Man On A Mission', 'Land Of The Free' and 'The Saviour/Abyss Of The Void' are the best tracks on this release, in my opinion they are must have metal songs and so much better than the other tracks contained within.
6.7/10 for me.
09.05.2010 - 03:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Not such a masterpiece to me.

The two first songs and ''Land of the Free'' are truly great, but I can't see what is so great about the others. Take off those three excellent tracks and we have an average album... at least to me.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
21.08.2010 - 13:58
Rating: 10
yj3945

Fucking Awesome!! This is one of bests in my life
23.08.2010 - 00:36
RavenKing

I disagree on "Time To Break Free". This song sucks. The album would be better without it.

I don't know about the bonus tracks because I never heard them.
Last time I listened to this album, the digipack version wasn't existing yet.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.10.2012 - 14:52
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 23.08.2010 at 00:36

I disagree on "Time To Break Free". This song sucks. The album would be better without it.

I agree. The only good thing in this song is Kiske's voice...
19.03.2017 - 01:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hansen as singer is good as well, but somehow, its his capability to compose good songs and write lyrics is ...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9790 | This month: 10