05. Jihad
06. Consfearacy
07. Catatonic
08. Black Serenade
09. Cult
10. Supremist
11. Final Six [Re-release bonus]
+ Slayer On Tour '07 [Re-release bonus]

Well, this is really one of those reviews where you just don't know where to start, even though you clearly have a lot to say about the work and everyone wants you to discuss every single characteristic, impression and detail of it. Slayer needs no introduction, their career and influence is well known and respected, so much that sometimes I almost feel intimidated for stating my opinion on their entire discography. In any case, I think it's important. A lot has been said before about the post-"Seasons In The Abyss" era, how the following releases followed undesirable modern tendencies or how they are inconsistent and pretentious. I agree. As you may understand I didn't have high expectations for "Christ Illusion."

Due to the lack of good releases in the summer of this year of 2006, I felt compelled, at some point, to start an extensive search for something that could make some of my disappointment go away. There's nothing more depressing than being depressed during summer, and surely Metal wouldn't do that to me. It was during this despairing quest that I decided to try the new Slayer. And I'm glad I did it, because it is definitely their best album in years.

In the beginning I thought I was going to get a "God Hates Us All" copy, the openers in both albums seem to want to impress from the beginning with constant breakdowns, but "Flesh Storm," unlike "Disciple," actually gets somewhere, good chorus and solos. It was only with "Skeleton Christ" and "Catatonic" that I got some of the bad taste of that album, but it didn't bother me much, because they're well compensated by the rest. Songs like "Catalyst" or "Consfearacy" own a lot to the rhythmic section and the pace is excellent. The album gets interesting as "Eyes Of The Insane," "Jihad" or "Cult" come up, because they have something different to show, be it a different introduction or groovy mid-tempo solos. "Supremist" is probably the most violent and raw track.

I think the song writing level is not the most complex Slayer has developed, but I was surprised with the range of this album. Despite its major flaws, I think "God Hates Us All" was Slayer aiming to be effective and aggressive, but not constantly chaotic and fast, and "Christ Illusion" works a bit in the same way. The welcomed differences are that you don't have that awful distortion on Tom Araya's voice, you have Lombardo back with his classic style, the bass is not downtuned to a point of ridiculousness and the guitars sound more Thrash Metal than anything else, powerful riffs and probably some of the best solos King and Hannemann have come up with in recent years, particularly in songs like "Flesh Storm," "Catalyst" and "Consfearacy."

I read somewhere, months before this was released, that Jeff Hannemann considered this to be some kind of a cross between "Seasons In The Abyss" and "God Hates Us All." It's not a bad description, although, thankfully "Christ Illusion" is more than that. What I can't guarantee you is that you'll find this to be in the same level as their first 5 albums. I don't. What I can guarantee you is that this is Slayer's most solid effort since 1990, and most likely to be their least controversial in terms of style, even in terms of production this album is successful, it sounds fresh but not overly polished. At the very least give it a try.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Passenger | 04.12.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Five long years we waited for this latest chapter of the Slayer story. Dave Lombardo was back after a hiatus lasting more than a decade and prior to its release the media hailed this album as a great return to form. I finally got my hands on this disc, put it in my CD player, turned the volume up to the maximum, sat back and waited to be blown away. Forty minutes later and I was still waiting. Thinking that it may grow on me I put it straight back on and? nothing. There is not a single track on this album which catches my attention. Of course they are all very Slayer-esque, there are some catchy riffs which emerge every now and again and some good thrash guitar solos. Drumming is top-notch as we all expected. Vocals are angry, like always. So where did this album go wrong? Well, where do I begin?

Read more ››
published 03.05.2008 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 156 users
05.12.2006 - 00:28
Talvi
Yeah, very good album. Sometimes I reckon if it's better than Reign in Blood, because I don't really like it so much, I think it's so overrated... Anyway, good thrash, nice to see how the genre is starting to recover.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
07.12.2006 - 20:22
Usurpus
Account deleted
I do think Christ Illusion is a better than God Hates Us All. There is plenty of brutality on this record and Dave's drumming is brilliant. It's pleasing that Slayer have tried new things on this record particularly with 'Jihad' which shows that after about 25 years they are still one of the most important metal bands ever.
01.01.2007 - 01:26
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I like this album, but it's probably my least favorite from them. One thing I noticed that I didn't like about it is how much time there is between songs. There's a good 4 seconds or so between each song which makes them lose momentum. If you listen to their old stuff, it's one song after the next and sometimes they even connect.
01.01.2007 - 05:58
spirit_inblack
harshhead
It's much better than God Hates Us All, but there is still a lot of filler. After all of these years, it's hard to believe that Slayer can write better guitar solos than a lot of other bands! Favorite tracks: Flesh Storm, Catalyst, Skeleton Christ, Cult, Supremist.
29.01.2007 - 03:38
Cthulhu
Account deleted
Their best album since Divine Intervention, which I have always considered their best overall. After two average albums it is great to see (or hear) the old masters return to form. Any Slayer fans who lost faith, check this one out.
02.02.2007 - 03:24
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
It's one of their best albums in my book, infact I think Catalyst is my new favourite song by Slayer.
03.02.2007 - 18:56
Dan066
Account deleted
The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Best album by them in a long time. Awesome lyrics, really like "Flesh Storm", "Eyes of the Insane", and "Black Serenade".
07.02.2007 - 16:59
Carrion
Account deleted
Yeah this is surprisingly good album, better than any album after "Seasons".
10.02.2007 - 21:49
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Agree with Carrion, this album kicks ass in a very nice way with good production and well executed songs
06.03.2007 - 06:08
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
This album is indeed a great one.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.04.2007 - 22:46
schleky
I still hate those guitersolos they're simply pointless but nevertheless it's a fucking great album THRAAAAAAAAAAAAASH at full power...
12.05.2007 - 11:07
cruel pain
carpathian flame
slayer rulez...!!!!!
13.05.2007 - 18:39
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
At first listen I regarded this album as junk, but listening to it again lately, I find that it is a rather good album. Hopefully this will help rejuvenate the genre.
29.06.2007 - 00:41
Unholy_Emperor
Great album, Slayer Rules.
29.06.2007 - 22:52
AlGore
Account deleted
From my first full length listen I liked the album, and every time I re-listen to it it seems to get better and better.
25.07.2007 - 13:04
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Good review and quite an accurate rating. This may not be the best place but I have to say - in the grander scheme of things, I don't see why Diabolus is so underrated, especially compared with GHUA, but also with this one.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.07.2007 - 22:09
Infurnace
It's a good album, but the old Slayer works are better. Contains a lot of good songs, such as Flesh Storm, Cult and Skeleton Christ.
27.07.2007 - 02:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
For some reason, this album has really grown on me in recent days; I can't stop listening to it! I guess I was expecting a more aggressive album when I first bought it, and was a little disappointed by not hearing a double bass assault.
23.09.2007 - 18:11
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
Yeah! The best trash metal album in 2006,and a huge and very very good comeback of almighty Slayer, 10 points to this masterpiece.
04.10.2007 - 20:34
SheWarlock
Account deleted
"Consferacy" It's just as fast as I like music to be played
19.12.2007 - 21:58
Rating: 10
Justice
realy great album
not best but great
29.06.2008 - 18:32
Rating: 6
Timelord
This is my least favorite Slayer album. Actually I don't like it at all. Gave my copy to a friend. It sounded generic and lacked that old SLayer groove and time changes. Sucks too, I was looking forward to Dave beeing back in the fold. Slayer seems to tour nonstop and the record company must have said "ok Slayer time to put out something quick to keep touring on". Allah Peanut butter sandwiches and poof we get "Good Music Illusion". I am a die hard Slayer fan and never have I not liked an album. All my diehard friends agree with me 100%. Very disappointed that not one song stuck in my head.
29.06.2008 - 20:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Better than God Hates Us all. I think we have good songs on this one, especially "skeleton christ" and "Jihad" I think.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.09.2008 - 11:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
sorry for slayer, cause they didn know that what "Jihad" means. Jihad doesnt mean war for god. it means do somthin which god likes. and kill the agressors of muslems is one of them. muslims can jihad for a lot of things. anyway i like the eye of the insane more than other songs. in the end i can say that i dont like slayer's lyrics never.
19.09.2008 - 12:05
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 11:27

sorry for slayer, cause they didn know that what "Jihad" means. Jihad doesnt mean war for god. it means do somthin which god likes. and kill the agressors of muslems is one of them. muslims can jihad for a lot of things.

what?

btw,
nice album.
oh and...the video they made for "eyes of the insane" is unique IMO.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
28.10.2008 - 20:14
Rating: 9
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Syk on 25.07.2007 at 13:04

Good review and quite an accurate rating. This may not be the best place but I have to say - in the grander scheme of things, I don't see why Diabolus is so underrated, especially compared with GHUA, but also with this one.

I listened to Diabolus not too long ago, its actually pretty good. I think that Christ Illusion is a tad better though.
28.10.2008 - 20:21
Sunioj
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 19.09.2008 at 12:05

Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 11:27

sorry for slayer, cause they didn know that what "Jihad" means. Jihad doesnt mean war for god. it means do somthin which god likes. and kill the agressors of muslems is one of them. muslims can jihad for a lot of things.

what?

btw,
nice album.
oh and...the video they made for "eyes of the insane" is unique IMO.

They also have a video for Jihad. Everytime I get inherently angry, but its a good song.
28.10.2008 - 21:43
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Sunioj on 28.10.2008 at 20:21

They also have a video for Jihad. Everytime I get inherently angry, but its a good song.

Do they? I'm so intrigued to see it!
----
28.10.2008 - 21:57
Sunioj
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 28.10.2008 at 21:43

Written by Sunioj on 28.10.2008 at 20:21

Do they? I'm so intrigued to see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y0AqBUkkM

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think it's an official. Geez, I was so sure of myself... I swear to god, I've even seen it on TV.

Enough drugs for me.
28.10.2008 - 22:27
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Sunioj on 28.10.2008 at 21:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y0AqBUkkM

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think it's an official. Geez, I was so sure of myself... I swear to god, I've even seen it on TV.

Enough drugs for me.

I'll check it, Thanks.
----

Hits total: 9712 | This month: 25