Metal Storm logo
Clean vocals vs growl

Original post

Posted by Warman, 16.12.2006 - 14:48
This is a pretty tough question and I do find it interesting to see what we Metalstormers prefer.
If I had to choose between clean vocals or growl I'm certain that I would choose the second option. I am right now into more extreme and heavier metal and that's the reason why I choose growl.

EDIT: Some wish to have a third option which includes both options. I didn't include it because I want a more clear result.

Poll

What do you prefer? Clean vocals or growl?

Clean vocals
Growl

Total votes: 252
27.06.2007 - 16:15
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Well honestly I can't choose as the vocals don't take much priority for me while listening to a song(that doesn't mean I like instrumentals more). The thing is, I probably listen to more bands that growl, but I really appreciate clean vocalists. However there's very little chance of me disliking any sort of growls, while I just can't take some clean vocals.

So there. No vote from my side. A 'both' option would've been appreciated.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
13.12.2007 - 01:12
RockeRoy
GROOOOOOWLL!!!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
13.12.2007 - 01:26
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
i went for clean vocals but then i am DEFINATELY in the lighter side of things. I don't mind a mixture so long as the music is good too but i prefer songs i can sing (or shout!) along to. I also find songs mean much mroe to me if i can relate to the lyrics, if they say nothing to me or what i'm thinking about at that time the song loses its appeal rapidly.
13.12.2007 - 03:21
RockeRoy
Written by Guest on 13.12.2007 at 01:26

i went for clean vocals but then i am DEFINATELY in the lighter side of things. I don't mind a mixture so long as the music is good too but i prefer songs i can sing (or shout!) along to. I also find songs mean much mroe to me if i can relate to the lyrics, if they say nothing to me or what i'm thinking about at that time the song loses its appeal rapidly.

You could read the lyrics when you listen to songs with crowling vocal, there is some great lyrics sung by growling vocalists! and there are growl vocalist's who are easier to get into than other's, but it also gets easier the more you listen to this kind of vocal i have no problem understanding moast of the music i like!
Rock on!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
13.12.2007 - 04:22
selken
Irreligious
I would also have liked a "Both" option, cause I have the ideology of "keeping widely open to the metal", but when I'm tired, angry or annoyed, I prefer growls, in the morning, while resting and for relaxing, i prefer clean. but most times I even listen the music mixed. But I cannot choose, there are too many good voices, from the most monstruous to the most beautiful.
----
13.12.2007 - 06:41
Lord TJ
Written by selken on 13.12.2007 at 04:22

I would also have liked a "Both" option, cause I have the ideology of "keeping widely open to the metal", but when I'm tired, angry or annoyed, I prefer growls, in the morning, while resting and for relaxing, i prefer clean. but most times I even listen the music mixed. But I cannot choose, there are too many good voices, from the most monstruous to the most beautiful.

Quoted for truth.

I like growls because it gets me fired up, the evil feeling flows through me, I can feel more energy (depending on how extreme the music is as well, usually is).

I like clean vocals but depending on how it is, if its like Angra then that gets me in a good mood, I usually listen to that kind of clean vocals when im in a great mood.

Its really hard fro me to explain other clean vocals, like Judas Priest, they are my favorite band, the problem is I DON'T KNOW WHY! There are many bands out there that have more complex technical music, but Rob's singing talent is just plain amazing!

In the end for me, it depends on how well it goes with the music.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.12.2007 - 07:55
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
growls for me, i just cant get into the music as much if the voals are clean - IMO the growl creates a much more "pumped up" feel to the music... but i agree with TJ that its gotta suit the msuic
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.12.2007 - 11:57
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
Written by RockeRoy on 13.12.2007 at 03:21

Written by Guest on 13.12.2007 at 01:26

You could read the lyrics when you listen to songs with crowling vocal, there is some great lyrics sung by growling vocalists! and there are growl vocalist's who are easier to get into than other's, but it also gets easier the more you listen to this kind of vocal i have no problem understanding moast of the music i like!
Rock on!

point taken... i'll see how i get on! lol
13.12.2007 - 23:20
MetallicA
I like growling much better in metal...or at the very least "dirty vocals" The only sub-genre in metal that I don't mind clean vox is thrash.

I don't mind clean vocals in other forms of music though.

@RockeRoy - yeah I'm with you here. I really don't care what they're "growling" about. I guess if the lyrics happen to be really good, I look at that as an added bonus to the song.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
13.12.2007 - 23:49
Fhuesc
I went for growl; since i only like clean vocals in females, and they have to be operatic clean vocals, but growls are always welcome, no matter the gender. The only male clean vocals that i like are from Angra's singer.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
14.12.2007 - 22:12
Charly546
Usually depends on the music itself. Sometimes clean vocals, while even competently done, just don't fit with the music. But for this poll, I voted growl...although I don't know why. I usually think of vocals as "an another instrument".
15.12.2007 - 02:35
Nilla
Account deleted
I voted clean vocals with some hesitance since I really like growl singing too but if I had to chose never to listen to any of them again growl would have to go. After all, what is called clean vocals probably represent more than 99% of all music with song in it. It would be great if more bands used a combination of both like for example Opeth.
18.12.2007 - 17:02
RhysTerk
Absolutely clean vocals.
It's just some growl-vocals that is sounding good.
19.12.2007 - 10:20
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Since I'm a thrasher I would have to say clean, but I don't mind if it has a certain rawness to it like Kreator or something like that.
----
THRASH!!!
19.12.2007 - 21:10
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Either one is fine with me, but id have to say growling vocals because i think it puts more emotion into the music
19.12.2007 - 23:49
Ascalon
To represente human feelings you nedd everything ... so I would choose a mix, but in thsi case clean vocals ... oh yeah !!
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
20.12.2007 - 16:20
Tombspawn
Account deleted
Clean Vocals.
Definitely.
Growl vocals require good instruments behind it, while clean vocals can actually make a melody themselves.
21.12.2007 - 04:07
Fhuesc
Written by Ascalon on 19.12.2007 at 23:49

To represente human feelings you nedd everything ... so I would choose a mix, but in thsi case clean vocals ... oh yeah !!

I disagree with you. It's true that sometimes whem you mix clean vocals with growls, the song sounds better, but sometimes if you mix them, all you get its a crappy song.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
21.12.2007 - 08:58
Opium
Account deleted
This is another one of those votes I'm ambivalent on. I find myself swaying between the two, depending on my mood. Right now it's clean, but it was growls just before!
30.12.2007 - 22:17
If I had to choose between the two, definitely clean. The growls often get in my way of listening to music. However, I love to hear growls in context, with a perfect example being March of Mephisto by Kamelot with Shagrath playing Mephisto juxtaposed against Khan.
31.12.2007 - 00:52
Ascalon
Written by Knight Templar on 30.12.2007 at 22:17

If I had to choose between the two, definitely clean. The growls often get in my way of listening to music. However, I love to hear growls in context, with a perfect example being March of Mephisto by Kamelot with Shagrath playing Mephisto juxtaposed against Khan.

That it's a good example ... of what i like ... also some haggard songs ... or Into Eternity songs just for say someones
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
31.12.2007 - 10:46
Woutjinho
Account deleted
clean vocals, like justin timerlake do it
31.12.2007 - 11:49
Fuath
i think that clean vocals are great, if you have an awesome voice that the music fits around, eg. mathew barlow
but it is hard to find a good growl these days without the vocalist sounding like hes trying to crap out something bigger than the microphone hes screaming into
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

31.12.2007 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Warman didn't put the option "Both"... so... Is vary hard to decide.

When the both styles are together in one song. It's just awesome [for example Opeth...]
Or early Theatre of Tragedy.
But I will vote to Growl, because there are many styles of how to sing in that way.

And many bands that I like vary much use this kind of vocals.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 06:02
Demonmayonnaise
I like clean alot better. Growls are good too... sometimes. Im not saying one is necessarily better than the other. Clean vocals are just more my taste.
03.01.2008 - 21:57
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 31.12.2007 at 10:46

Screw him! Clay Aiken can out growl him and Frank Mullen put together!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

04.01.2008 - 11:57
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 03.01.2008 at 21:57

I WAS BEING SARCASTIC DUDE DUUUUH
04.01.2008 - 14:18
Lord TJ
Written by Guest on 04.01.2008 at 11:57

Written by Lord TJ on 03.01.2008 at 21:57

I WAS BEING SARCASTIC DUDE DUUUUH

(me too)
----

05.01.2008 - 05:50
juanopereira
I like a lot growling and clean vocals, but sometimes the growlings bores me. I prefer songs that mixes growlin with clean vocals.
05.01.2008 - 23:19
Ernis
狼獾
Depends on the singer....some singers and the music they sing are better with growls sometimes with clean vocals and sometimes with both...there are singers who sound much better growling than while singing clean vocals....for instance the male singer of Theatre Of Tragedy used to growl on their earlier albums but then started to sing with a voice of a vegetable....at the same time there are singers who may sound like angry hedgehogs while growling but may have grand expressive and powerful voice when they sing with clean vocals....
Ideal is, for sure, if a singer can manage both....

I voted for clean....because not many singers can pronunce the words out well while growling and usually clean vocals allow more playing ground...more varieties and colours in music...of course it all depends on the singer individually....