Metal Storm logo
Evile - Guitarist Ol Drake Leaves The Band

After 15 years and four albums, Evile's guitarist Oliver Michael "Ol" Drake is leaving the thrash metal band. He explained that his departure is due to the fact that he has reached a point where the touring/band lifestyle isn't fulfilling anymore and he can't handle the financial uncertainty that it involves at this point in his life.

His lengthy official statement: "It's been half my life (15 years) since I started jamming in a room with three other guys, in a group in which I didn't know would grow to be Evile, go through what Evile has gone through and achieve what Evile has so far achieved. Since 1999, I've put 100% of my time and life into the band we formed, while us all had/have to sacrifice a lot financially and personally along the way. I've had some of the best times of my life in the past 15 years and met some amazing and fascinating people. I've had the huge honour to play a part in so many things I'd never have dreamed of: paying tribute to Dimebag [Pantera] by covering 'Cemetery Gates' in Metal Hammer; supporting Megadeth, Exodus and many bands I grew up listening to; playing and recording with Destruction; touring/seeing places in the world I'd never have got to see otherwise and many more."

"Over the past year, I've, unfortunately, found myself becoming more and more detached from the touring/band lifestyle. In my opinion, the music business for a band of our genre and 'level' determines a very unrealistic way of life to me, and I personally find it difficult to make a living and have a 'normal' life. This is not a plea for sympathy, I'm simply being honest. I've reached a point where I want a family/kids, a house, a steady and definite income and everything in between, and in regard to my personal preferences, a touring band's income and uncertainties, in the state that I feel they would continue to be in, has become incompatible with how I feel and what I want/need."

"There is no animosity between the rest of the band and I. This is purely a personal and financial decision I've been mulling over for a while and I wish them all the best for the future. I am not unappreciative of the position Evile has in the music world; I know a lot of people would love to be where Evile are. I want to thank each and every person who supports the band, and I want to extend a special thanks to Digby and the Earache Records crew. Huge apologies to anyone this disappoints, but I have to do what makes sense to me. I am not quitting writing or playing; I do plan on continuing to record and write my own music (solo project, general composing/recording etc), I just won't be touring etc. I'll still be playing the two upcoming festival shows Evile have."

"You can keep up to date with what I'll be doing on my Twitter or on Facebook. A big thank you to everyone!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Evile
Posted: 30.08.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   Visited by: 81 users
30.08.2013 - 21:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
In my opinion, the music business for a band of our genre and 'level' determines a very unrealistic way of life to me, and I personally find it difficult to make a living and have a 'normal' life.

Did he mean that bands like Havok, Bonded, Vektor, Skeletonwitch, Lazarus AD or Warbringer aren't making money?
30.08.2013 - 22:30
Kwis

You have to respect the man for making this choice. Can't have been easy spending half your life with the band and then have to leave. Hope I'm wrong, but this seems like the beginning of the end for Evile.
30.08.2013 - 22:53
AbysmalRites

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.08.2013 at 21:33

Quote:
In my opinion, the music business for a band of our genre and 'level' determines a very unrealistic way of life to me, and I personally find it difficult to make a living and have a 'normal' life.

Did he mean that bands like Havok, Bonded, Vektor, Skeletonwitch, Lazarus AD or Warbringer aren't making money?

I acutally just read Skeletonwitch's AMA on reddit, and they said that they do have to take on jobs outside of the band just to make ends meet, so i imagine that Ol did mean that.
----
[center][/image]
30.08.2013 - 23:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sounds like a woman
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.09.2013 - 05:23
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Sounds intelligent poor use of pronouns aside
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 3203 | This month: 4