02. Vermis
03. Clutching Revulsion
04. Weight Of Emptiness
05. Confronting Entropy
06. Fall To Opprobrium
07. The Imperious Weak
08. Cessation
09. Await Rescission

I always wondered what the meaning of art was. As in, what is the main goal for the artist(s)? What would be the greatest achievement? If you ask yours truly, the main goal would be to make something greater than the creator(s) and spectators, a grand monument with such a force that it can stand proud and imposing against anything around it. Ulcerate did just that. Again.

As the short intro begins, an immense foreboding has been made. What follows is the process of overwhelming yet beautiful oppression. Vermis is clearly a more violent affair than the majestic The Destroyers Of All but the atmosphere that delivers both subtle and massive tension has been left intact. The guitars carry the weight of the earth with crushing and unforgiving riffs which get deep inside your head as they writhe in constant dissonance like flaming serpents, which is now the trademark sound that Ulcerate has solidified. Sometimes it's quite a task to catch up with them, leaving you with the thought that letting go is the only way to properly survive the wave. Hellish music should be accompanied by fitting vocals, which has always been the case for these guys. Some might say that the furious growls are monotone in the long run, but the way they are performed more than makes up for it. Talking about ferocity, I wish you good luck trying to follow the pace of the drummer as he delivers the goods in a manner that is nearly frightening. The other half of the backbone is the dense bass that provides the much needed low-end and unsettling density, which is especially prominent in the quieter moments. All these ingredients were thrown into the vortex that is the impeccable production. Everything sounds clear yet there's a smoky vibe surrounding every instrument, making the final result extremely cohesive.

Ulcerate is in a league of its own by now. With their fourth album acting as a culmination of all their work, they also reconfirmed their identity and potential to everyone in the modern metal scene. Vermis is indeed yet another monstrous chapter of a band that has just what it takes to permanently be placed in the books of our beloved death metal cult. Ulcerate will be remembered.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 19.09.2013 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 323 users
19.09.2013 - 11:08
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi
Looking forward to it! Looks like a perfect evolution of one of my favorite (post?) death metal bands. Awedome review as well!
19.09.2013 - 14:50
Mattybu
Totally disagree with the first paragraph but a very well written and descriptive review. I have never heard a single song from this band before but you certainly painted quite the picture.
19.09.2013 - 15:37
Rating: 9
mz
Totally agreed with this review. Vermis is just fucking intense
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.09.2013 - 17:32
Hallford9000
Mr. Doctor, if you are into the question what art is, what the goals of an artist are, try Hegel. A German philosopher best known for his take on describing art. He is not shitting around like most philosophers do and is fairily easy to understand.
19.09.2013 - 17:43
koob
What the fuck did I just listen to ? That was great.
19.09.2013 - 18:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Thank you all for the kind comments.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.09.2013 - 02:00
Lit.
Account deleted
I keep putting off listening to this freaking album! Even if it's freaking online.
Freaking procrastination!
20.09.2013 - 04:04
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Good review, short and sweet. Ulcerate's albums always take a few listens for me to digest but it's really worth it when they set in. It is a chaos storm. Relating to what Mr. Doctor said, Vermis can leave you a tad breathless from how unrelenting it can be. I found this one to be a lot more subtle then their previous releases, not worse by any means... and not better either. They can keep chuggin away with their fucked up chaotic music attacks, its fine by me cuz i like it a whole lot. I wonder if and when the band will feel the need to change.
----
Coldgrits
20.09.2013 - 22:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I don't find this album on another league. For me its always been this band that is on an another league. All their last 3 releases were equally solid and awesome masterpieces. I don't find any one of the three better or less good than the rest. A bone crushing statement of consistency, Vermis seems to be.
21.09.2013 - 11:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by 3rdWorld on 20.09.2013 at 22:49
I don't find this album on another league. For me its always been this band that is on an another league.

In that case we agree. I didn't consider this album some sort of revelation. Just a re-re-confirmation for those who haven't really checked this band previously. I could have worded it out better though but I always preffer confirmations instead of a band with an album that standsfar apart from the rest... and then we get "eh" ones.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.09.2013 - 12:09
Rating: 7
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Your intro was awesome made me to read the whole review and now I'm wondering how the album really sounds,I'm gonna give it a go asap
----
The Fangirl.
22.09.2013 - 03:42
Diverge
I like your review, although your rating on this album is incredibly high. Don't get me wrong-- it's a very very good album, but 9.5?
22.09.2013 - 18:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Nice review and I thoroughly agree. I would push the rating down to a solid 9 however.
22.09.2013 - 19:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Alex F on 22.09.2013 at 18:46

Nice review and I thoroughly agree. I would push the rating down to a solid 9 however.

Aye, I look back and realise that I went a bit over the top with the rating. I'd give it at the very least a 9,0 though so there's not much to talk about the rating anyway xD.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 8012 | This month: 25