01. England
02. Aychim In Hysteria
03. Space Police [progressive version]
04. Space Police [instrumental version]
05. Love Tyger [instrumental version]
06. Defenders Of The Crown [instrumental version]
07. Do Me Like A Caveman [instrumental version]

Additional info
Available in standard CD edition, limited digibook edition containing 2 CDs and in strictly limited hardcover earbook collectors' edition (28.5x28.5cm) containing the two discs, a photographic history with more than 130 photos from the band's archive, liner-notes, touring history, and more.

Staff review by
R Lewis
Rating:
Oh right. You're kidding me. A macho man with a welder/gun in one hand and a Pokémon born bad and grown worse in the other is staring at me with a not-so-heterosexual fleer. Am I supposed to take it seriously?

Of course not, it's Edguy we're talking about.

Read more ››
published 10.04.2014 | Comments (18)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 649 users
28.01.2014 - 10:46
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Officially the lamest Edguy tittle to date!
28.01.2014 - 21:35
mandrake88
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.01.2014 at 10:46

Officially the lamest Edguy tittle to date!

haha, totally agree with you on this one
15.03.2014 - 20:19
Rating: 9
mikeprado30
Lyric video released:

Not bad IMHO. The sound is heavier, but I need to hear the rest of the album and see if they return to the most speedy side.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
03.04.2014 - 02:30
Rating: 8
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
60 sec long snippets of all songs can be viewed here: http://us.7digital.com/artist/edguy/release/space-police-defenders-of-the-crown/
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
17.04.2014 - 20:00
iMorphball
Honetly, this is a really great CD. Best since Rocket Ride, if not better than Rocket Ride.
17.04.2014 - 21:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just finished giving this a listen, and I'm really not sure what to make of it really... it sounds like a mixture of the power metal and hard rock Edguy, and quite a bit of it reminds me of post-Metal Opera Avantasia too. Fave songs so far are "Sabre & Torch", and "Defenders Of The Crown" which are superb examples of Edguy's power metal style. And surprisingly, "Do Me Like A Caveman" which is nowhere near as silly as I was expecting, and has a crushing rock-meets-metal riff which made me move, and a wonderful chorus.

The bonus track "England" is great too, and also ridiculous, singing about Mr. Bean, Steve Harris, curries, drinking tea... and you get the picture. lol
18.04.2014 - 03:16
mikeprado30
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2014 at 21:35

Just finished giving this a listen, and I'm really not sure what to make of it really... it sounds like a mixture of the power metal and hard rock Edguy, and quite a bit of it reminds me of post-Metal Opera Avantasia too. Fave songs so far are "Sabre & Torch", and "Defenders Of The Crown" which are superb examples of Edguy's power metal style. And surprisingly, "Do Me Like A Caveman" which is nowhere near as silly as I was expecting, and has a crushing rock-meets-metal riff which made me move, and a wonderful chorus.

The bonus track "England" is great too, and also ridiculous, singing about Mr. Bean, Steve Harris, curries, drinking tea... and you get the picture. lol

Well, we are talking about Edguy and the silliest and maddest crackpot in Power Metal scene, called Tobias Sammet

I will give a listening, surely I get high hopes in this one.
----
18.04.2014 - 15:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by mikeprado30 on 18.04.2014 at 03:16
Well, we are talking about Edguy and the silliest and maddest crackpot in Power Metal scene, called Tobias Sammet

I will give a listening, surely I get high hopes in this one.

Haha, but of course!

"England" is both magnificent and ludicrous, and is actually amongst the greatest ballads Tobi has ever penned. It should have been on the album proper, and "Rock Me Amadeus" should have been a bonus track. It's also weird how "Do Me Like A Caveman" is actually an awesome song. I feared the worst when I first saw that song title.
18.04.2014 - 20:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Not so lame as I thought it will be... maybe if I be bored as hell and beer be out I will give a try at night one more time
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2014 - 22:10
Chriwalker
Account deleted
After the first listen I must say it is much better than I expected, and MUCH better than Age of the Joker! Personal Favorite songs must be: "Space Police", "Defenders of the Crown", "Realms of Baba Yaga", "Do me like a Caveman" and "Shadow Eaters". I did also have a ear for The Eternal Wayfarer, but after just one listen I can't say to much really. Also the bonus track "England" was awesome, I hade a good laugh at least! Great job Edguy!
19.04.2014 - 10:12
mikeprado30
Well, I would describe this album like: Edguy meets Avantasia's The Mystery of Time.

Is cause I found some simmilarities between both albums (and of course, some differences cause are in some way two worlds/bands way different in goals and styles), for example, Sabre & Torch no one denies that is like another version of the great Invoke the Machine, or Shadow Eaters is simmilar in style at Black Orchid, and Realms of Baba Yaga remembers me at The Watchmaker's Dream. But that doesn't turns this album bad IMO, the album is really great, another nice work from the lunatic Sammet

And I agree with Angelic Storm, England is a ballad with all the Sammet's style printed in it, and that makes it so enjoyable!

Is great to get this year so many great albums from Germany (Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Stormwarrior, Freedom Call, Sinbreed, Accept in may, Blind Guardian surely will release the single from their upcoming album late this year, probably Orden Ogan is writing the songs for their fifth album)
----
19.04.2014 - 12:02
Rating: 7
Mariocalin
Far from their bests works
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
20.04.2014 - 00:03
mikeprado30
Written by Mariocalin on 19.04.2014 at 12:02

Well, at least the 7 in your rating means you liked it, isn't it?
----
20.04.2014 - 00:10
Rating: 3
Windir
Awful album! This isn't metal by any means... It's uninspired soft hard rock.

edit: soft/hard ha ha ha
20.04.2014 - 06:14
mandrake88
Account deleted
Written by Windir on 20.04.2014 at 00:10

really dude?? rating : 3 with such a so called "opinion" ?? no offense, but if you prefer banging your head to the wall listening to your "death/power" or whatever you call it "metal" then go listen to different style of music, and do not give low ratings to bands of this orientation!
20.04.2014 - 11:24
Patrick.
Written by Guest on 18.04.2014 at 22:10

After the first listen I must say it is much better than I expected, and MUCH better than Age of the Joker! Personal Favorite songs must be: "Space Police", "Defenders of the Crown", "Realms of Baba Yaga", "Do me like a Caveman" and "Shadow Eaters". I did also have a ear for The Eternal Wayfarer, but after just one listen I can't say to much really. Also the bonus track "England" was awesome, I hade a good laugh at least! Great job Edguy!

If we look past the somewhat amusing but unnecessary cover song, there's not a blemish anywhere on the album! Thankfully, at least the other goofy songs ("England", "Aychim In Hysteria") were placed as bonus tracks.
Another cool thing is the addition of some little extra fast and powerful stuff again. Though I wouldn't necessarily call this a Power Metal album on the whole, I guess they haven't been this double-bass fueled since Hellfire Club(?). So even though I really enjoy their previous album, the balance between their two "styles" is a lot more fluid this time around and overall the quality is simply stronger.
Agreed with your picks of favourite songs!
20.04.2014 - 12:13
Mariocalin
Written by mikeprado30 on 20.04.2014 at 00:03

Written by Mariocalin on 19.04.2014 at 12:02

Well, at least the 7 in your rating means you liked it, isn't it?

Yep, I Liked it.
----
We are the priest of the temple of Synix
20.04.2014 - 19:21
Rulatore
God, after the high score of the review I thought that this was worth a listen. How wrong I was.
20.04.2014 - 21:39
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Written by Patrick. on 20.04.2014 at 11:24

Written by Guest on 18.04.2014 at 22:10

If we look past the somewhat amusing but unnecessary cover song, there's not a blemish anywhere on the album! Thankfully, at least the other goofy songs ("England", "Aychim In Hysteria") were placed as bonus tracks.
Another cool thing is the addition of some little extra fast and powerful stuff again. Though I wouldn't necessarily call this a Power Metal album on the whole, I guess they haven't been this double-bass fueled since Hellfire Club(?). So even though I really enjoy their previous album, the balance between their two "styles" is a lot more fluid this time around and overall the quality is simply stronger.
Agreed with your picks of favourite songs!

I disagree with you! Those goofy song should have replaced Rock me Amadeus!
21.04.2014 - 13:00
Empyror
I agree with most of what has been said already. I think it's their best album since Hellfire Club or Rocket Ride. And I was surprised how good and not overly stupid and cheesy the song "Do me Like a Caveman" was. I also believe than one of or both bonus songs should have been included on the album proper, while the cover song should have been the bonus material.
21.04.2014 - 23:04
Windir
Written by Guest on 20.04.2014 at 06:14

really dude?? rating : 3 with such a so called "opinion" ?? no offense, but if you prefer banging your head to the wall listening to your "death/power" or whatever you call it "metal" then go listen to different style of music, and do not give low ratings to bands of this orientation!

Ha ha ha
It's so hard for a fan to say that an album sucks?
22.04.2014 - 00:37
mandrake88
Account deleted
Written by Windir on 21.04.2014 at 23:04

Written by Guest on 20.04.2014 at 06:14

Ha ha ha
It's so hard for a fan to say that an album sucks?

To be honest mate, i haven't given a listen yet. I judge the album based on the quality and concept, and I am surely not going to dislike it because of its orientation of being "none traditional power metal". Edguy lost the reason for labeling their music years ago, since the albums are full of different variety of songs. But that does not make them suck. What else can i tell you mate, different strokes for different folks : ) that's why we're here.
22.04.2014 - 18:42
Constantine
After second listen, frankly I quite love it ! Didn't expect such enjoyable album. Don't let the troll cover or name of songs decieve you.
22.04.2014 - 19:36
Patrick.
Written by Guest on 20.04.2014 at 21:39

I disagree with you! Those goofy song should have replaced Rock me Amadeus!

No, we agree about that! What I meant was, thankfully the level of silliness was limited with only one of them on the album. But just like you, I too would have replaced it with one of the bonus tracks instead. Or better yet, put all three of them ("England", "Hysteria", "Amadeus") as bonus tracks.
22.04.2014 - 21:21
Windir
Quote:
To be honest mate, i haven't given a listen yet. I judge the album based on the quality and concept, and I am surely not going to dislike it because of its orientation of being "none traditional power metal". Edguy lost the reason for labeling their music years ago, since the albums are full of different variety of songs. But that does not make them suck. What else can i tell you mate, different strokes for different folks : ) that's why we're here.

Too snobish for me, I judge an album according to this complicated formula: I like it or I don't.
The quality? Many classic albums are pure shit... and they rock as hell! Quality is an abstract conception... as well as tastes. Everytime someone says a band, an album or a song sucks there's always somebody crying... and not having listened to it, well nothing to say about that.
The concept? seriously? there are plenty of conceptually crappy albums that are pure awesomeness.
The orientation... I don't care if a band is death, black, pink, thrash, junk, flower, deppressive or whatever (or change their style). I said it's not power metal at all not because I care about the style they're playing but because it would be good to modify the style in the description of the band from the year it changed (this has already and accurately been done in the description of many bands)
Different strokes for different folks? Absolutely! I'm 100% sure that my musical tastes are pure shit for a lot of people, even for a lot of metalheads. Do I care? Do you care?

And here comes the classic: "If you don't like it why the hell are you posting here?"
There are many answers to that, the most pretty logical:
- Because I used to care about this band
- Because I've been told it was a great album / or the review was so promising
- Because the artwork is great
- Because everybody like it (it's a shame but even in metal we have this kind of crap)
- Because I wanted to irritate that band fans
...endless etc.

The only thing that really matters here is that we are one of a kind individuals and not a dumb mass.
Cheers to you
23.04.2014 - 00:12
raveneffect
Its just more of the same Tobias's mix of AOR and Power Metal. Don't get me wrong, it was an ejoyable ride and some tunes have some kick in it, but it's not something great, just good.

Theres plenty of that typical sense of goofy sense of humour but not overdone like in previous Albums like Rocket Ride. "Love Tyger" "Alone in Myself" and "Do Me Like a Caveman" were my personal favourite ones, with the rest being a mix of songs I enjoyed and endured. Kudos for the cover on "Rock Me Amadeos", that must've been a blast to record.

Overall, good stuff but not a Classic, not a Frontrunner on this years best and not a step forward on their own evolution. It's safe to assume that, at this point, Edguy is sticking to this formula which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

7/10
23.04.2014 - 19:59
Mountain King
K i K o
I like it. Though I still have to find the 5 star track...
05.05.2014 - 19:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 05.05.2014 at 08:29

EDIT: Lyrics to England are funny (and true).

England are inventors of Indian food

Yes, England got Steve Harris, Mr Bean and Bruce Dickinson.

I think Edguy is gettin' jealous.
05.05.2014 - 21:00
raveneffect
If it was his choice, Tobias would probably choose to be born English
05.06.2014 - 17:27
Sword_Chant
It sounds like it should be an Avantasia album... It's pretty good though. Best song by a long long way is Sabre & Torch. Some of the other songs are enjoyable, eg. the two title tracks after that. It's cheesy at times but overall i'd probably give it an 8.0.

Hits total: 17191 | This month: 34