Metal Storm logo
The Sirens - Liv Kristine, Anneke Van Giersbergen & Kari Rueslåtten In Concert

Three great female metal singers will join forces for a few shows across Europe this year. Liv Kristine, Anneke van Giersbergen and Kari Rueslåtten, will be together on stage. They will perform old material from their past bands, such as The Gathering, The 3rd And The Mortal and Theatre Of Tragedy, as well as some material from their careers as solo artists and also duets.

The dates so far with more to be announced soon:

14.10.2014 - GER - Bonn, Harmonie
15.10.2014 - FRA - Colmar, Le Grillen
16.10.2014 - UK - London, Proud
18.10.2014 - BEL - Wieze, Metal Female Voices Fest
17.12.2014 - NED - Zoetermeer, Boerderij
18.12.2014 - GER - Jena, F-Haus
19.12.2014 - GER - Nagold, Alte Seminarturnhalle
20.12.2014 - FRA - Paris, Divan Du Monde

The seeds for The Sirens were planted when Anneke approached Kari in early 2013 with the proposal of doing a duet for her Drive album (released in 2013). Regarded by Anneke as an inspiration going in to do The Gathering's breakthrough album, Mandylion, her intention was to pay tribute to Kari via the collaboration. The song didn't make the final cut as it didn't fit the album, but they remained in touch. Then, in July 2013 Anneke and Liv had a chance meeting at the Masters Of Rock festival in the Czech Republic, and The Sirens concept was born.

"We had a few minutes only to talk in between our gigs," Liv recalls, "but we agreed that we really should get together and tour. We both had to smile then, thinking that we were, with Kari, the 'originals' within our scene. Moreover, all three of us being mothers and still highly busy in music and art. Anneke told me that she had just talked to Kari, and that was the 'go' for The Sirens."

"I find it hard to believe that I once inspired them," Kari admits, "but if so it is truly flattering. It is a fantastic feeling to know that I will be singing live with two such amazing vocalists!"

"The female fronted scene has become so big all over the world, sometimes it's hard to believe the three of us were at the very beginning of it," says Anneke. "I am very proud of that. Without intentionally wanting to start a new genre, our bands made it okay to sound and look as a girl singer on a metal stage. It was all very new and exciting. I think the tour is great to, in a way, celebrate those early days now that a third-wave of bands is appearing on the scene."

There are noteworthy parallels in the lives of Kari, Anneke and Liv that bind them together. All three fronted influential bands, they went on to have lucrative solo careers and remain active, and they've successfully balanced music with family life.

"I'm looking forward to it a lot," Anneke says. "Making music with kindred spirits is such a wonderful feeling. I also love harmonizing with more than one singer on stage, so that will be a cool aspect of the show as well."

"The fans have been waiting for this for years and years," Liv adds. "I can't wait to share stage with Kari and Anneke. They are absolutely lovely and we have so much in common. This is a kind of magic."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Theatre Of Tragedy
Posted: 03.06.2014 by toxx

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 160 users
03.06.2014 - 13:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
True Gathering was whit male vocals, Anneke role in metal is week, since its like anathema for example, not real metal anyway , modern kids might call it but it isnt , Liv and Kari is more metal even Kari only in 3th era same goes Liv cant compare her solo whit ToT
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.06.2014 - 13:56
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 13:08

Anneke role in metal is week

Damn, that's not much indeed.
03.06.2014 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hex_Omega on 03.06.2014 at 13:56

does modern gathering is metal, does her solo is metal no
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 14:04
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 14:01

Written by Hex_Omega on 03.06.2014 at 13:56

does modern gathering is metal, does her solo is metal no

But week is not Weak
03.06.2014 - 14:11
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight

True Gathering was whit male vocals, Anneke role in metal is week, since its like anathema for example, not real metal anyway , modern kids might call it but it isnt , Liv and Kari is more metal even Kari only in 3th era same goes Liv cant compare her solo whit ToT

Mandylion and the follow-up were metal enough, from then on it ventured into atmospheric/experimental rock a'la Anathema. Liv never actually departed the metal scene (though her solo work is anything but metal) and Kari is more now into folk rock than metal.
03.06.2014 - 14:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 03.06.2014 at 14:11

Mandylion and the follow-up were metal enough, from then on it ventured into atmospheric/experimental rock a'la Anathema. Liv never actually departed the metal scene (though her solo work is anything but metal) and Kari is more now into folk rock than metal.

well I did not said old Gathering is not metal, even most metal what they have it was whit male vox, Liv is metal, but diferent as ToT (I like ToT whit her only) I did say it when I comment here but same time I dont like Anekke at all, her music well its not metral if you like that what is ''real'' metal.... well her solo it sucks..Kari , I like The 3th but her solo, newwer songs its to soft , real folk is better
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 14:58
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 14:38

well I did not said old Gathering is not metal, even most metal what they have it was whit male vox, Liv is metal, but diferent as ToT (I like ToT whit her only) I did say it when I comment here but same time I dont like Anekke at all, her music well its not metral if you like that what is ''real'' metal.... well her solo it sucks..Kari , I like The 3th but her solo, newwer songs its to soft , real folk is better

I am not into 'real' metal (very subjective term), I am into good music, and as far as I know, The Gathering continued to do good music outside of the metal spectrum, Anathema too. Anneke, probably out of all the three has the most impressive live vocal performance. As for her solo work, except for In Your Room, the rest of her works are decent to good.
03.06.2014 - 15:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well outside metal genre, I dont think Gathering is good music, boring IMO as some top prog bands, I get pissed and bored from this, primitive Ac/DC riffs every day you will be happy, its enought whit Anneke or Gathering to next year you dont wanna hear it
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 16:31
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

I wouldn't say someone who was the vocalist for 13 years in one of the pioneers of female fronted Gothic Metal, singing in one of the most acclaimed albums of that movement, Mandylion, who sang in a Progressive Metal album by Devin Townsend, who did guest vocals to bands such as Napalm Death, Ayreon, Moonspell and Novembers Doom to have a "weak" role in Metal. Just because her solo work is some kind of atmospheric pop/rock, it doesn't mean she hasn't been connected to Metal for at least 20 years. Now, if you don't like her voice, that's a totally different story
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
03.06.2014 - 16:48
PocketMetal
Apparently whatever Bad English doesn't like is not "real metal", it's not worth discussing it with him 'cause most of his comments are immensely stupid.
03.06.2014 - 16:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Forever on 03.06.2014 at 16:31

I wouldn't say someone who was the vocalist for 13 years in one of the pioneers of female fronted Gothic Metal, singing in one of the most acclaimed albums of that movement, Mandylion, who sang in a Progressive Metal album by Devin Townsend, who did guest vocals to bands such as Napalm Death, Ayreon, Moonspell and Novembers Doom to have a "weak" role in Metal. Just because her solo work is some kind of atmospheric pop/rock, it doesn't mean she hasn't been connected to Metal for at least 20 years. Now, if you don't like her voice, that's a totally different story

Devin Tousend sucks
well maybe in that point as guest yes but if she would be in metal her albums would be gothic/doom
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 16:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 16:55
Devin Tousend sucks
well maybe in that point as guest yes but if she would be in metal her albums would be gothic/doom

Is that seriously your response? A four-year-old can hold an argument better than you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2014 - 17:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2014 at 16:58

Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 16:55
Devin Tousend sucks

Is that seriously your response? A four-year-old can hold an argument better than you.

if Abboth will be part of pop album as guest he will be a metalhead, and play music as immortal and his solo, but if metal singer turns and whole solo albums are not metal , juts some guest , ... I dont think so ....
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 17:10
the_scarecrow
I'd say Anneke is the most prominent figure in regards to the female fronted metal scene.
While Doro Pesch and Sabina Classen may have been the first women to make a name for themselves in the metal scene, the constant praise of Anneke's voice, and her youthful, charismatic presence shone (and today, still shines) brighter than her more commercially successful contemporaries, such as Sharon, Tarja, and Floor; as well as her many guest appearances with bands such as Ayreon, Giant Squid and Moonspell, to name a few, and her longevity, it's apparent that Anneke is the go-to girl when one thinks of this particular scene.

Regardless if one does not like Anneke's voice, it does not stop the fact that to many she has the most amazing vocals.

In regards to vocal similarities, Anneke is probably only rivaled by Kari Rueslåtten and Lotta Höglin. To me, anyways.
03.06.2014 - 17:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 17:03
if Abboth will be part of pop album as guest he will be a metalhead, and play music as immortal and his solo, but if metal singer turns and whole solo albums are not metal , juts some guest , ... I dont think so ....

Who cares if this is "metal" or not? And that wasn't even the point in question. You claimed that one of the most prominent female figureheads in the metal scene is "week", which just goes to show how completely ignorant you are when it comes to metal history. Which is also quite ironic given that you lurk these forums and put on the facade of a true crusader. Even though Anneke may not be contributing to the creation of metal music with her solo career, she still manages to appear as a guest vocalist with a prominent metal musician in Devin Townsend. Whether you think he sucks or not is irrelevant as well.

If you're going to ruin threads with your ignorance you could at least try to rise above the status of an internet troll.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2014 - 18:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Liv and Kari was not week, but Anneke is not a real metal singer like long time and besides her single solo music is boring, kari as well, Liv keeps on flowing in metal wave, but there wont be toT anymore and if I need listen true metal every day and van Grisbergen ... I choose real, I never have get bored from metal , but from such music I will

Devin Towsend music does suck, I neve rliked his solo, maybe in Straping young Lad , what is also industrial tyouch and I am not fan opf indie ... well same goes for Dream Theatre and many other prog .... damn Ac/Dc knows how drink booze, and play primitive tunes, and write primitive rock n roll lyrics, they wont get bored as those bands
----

apos;'
[image]
03.06.2014 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't know why I even bother.
----
03.06.2014 - 20:41
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 18:39

Liv and Kari was not week, but Anneke is not a real metal singer like long time and besides her single solo music is boring, kari as well, Liv keeps on flowing in metal wave, but there wont be toT anymore and if I need listen true metal every day and van Grisbergen ... I choose real, I never have get bored from metal , but from such music I will

Devin Towsend music does suck, I neve rliked his solo, maybe in Straping young Lad , what is also industrial tyouch and I am not fan opf indie ... well same goes for Dream Theatre and many other prog .... damn Ac/Dc knows how drink booze, and play primitive tunes, and write primitive rock n roll lyrics, they wont get bored as those bands

Dude, you simply don't get the point. YOU consider that her work is boring, other people (including myself) think that her solo work is decent, even if it is not metal. And like many people already pointed, while her solo work is NOT metal, she definitely did not cut ties with the metal scene, as she still collaborates with different metal artists (that were already given as examples) and she is still identified with the metal scene through her contribution on Mandylion and Nighttime Birds.

There is no 'true' or 'real' metal, it is simply metal. Devin Townsend's music, aside from the fact that it sucks in your opinion, it brought a great contribution to the metal scene. You trolled this thread enough with your bitching. If you really don't have anything new to comment, just fuck off. If Anneke would not be metal anymore she would have cut ties with the metal scene long ago. But apparently she didn't.
03.06.2014 - 21:58
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I'm pretty sure than Anneke is more metal than K7
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.06.2014 - 22:09
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm pretty sure Lou Reed collaborating with Metallica is more metal than K7.
04.06.2014 - 13:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Damn, I don't like Anneke's vocals after Nighttime Birds and i don't like The Gathering after Always (except for Mandylion), but saying "Anneke role in metal is week," shows the total lack of any metal knowledge whatsoever on K7's part. And again proving that het totally IS the dumbest most braindead ridiculous person around here on MS. Like has been stated by other posters here, Anneke had and still has an immensely important role in metal. Way more important than Liv (talk about non-metal vocals, goddamn) and Kari will ever reach.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2014 - 14:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

True Gathering was whit male vocals,

BULLSHIT because Always does have female vocals as well in addition to the vocals of Bart Smits. The female vocals were done by Marike Groot. And are as important as the male vocals there.
Only the two demos don't feature any female vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.06.2014 - 14:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2014 at 14:06

True Gathering was whit male vocals,

BULLSHIT because Always does have female vocals as well in addition to the vocals of Bart Smits. The female vocals were done by Marike Groot. And are as important as the male vocals there.
Only the two demos don't feature any female vocals.

yes but it was not 100% female vocals only and I like The Gathering onmly 1t album ''always'' .. I dont like later works, same as Anathea (what has mail vox to not have any comnfusions) only crastfalen and serenades is good IMO
non of those when left original band (and even original band Dutch case ) are good enough, maybe Liv is keeping some metal into music, whit Lives Eyes, but its not as old gothic/doom so...besides this event can be overprised as well, since modern metalheads, new generation kids and soft metalheads already overate this even here,, it can cost 2 times more as its worth it

and honest ansver, do you listen any of those singers nowadays whit todays music? and if you need pay would you go? as far as I know you I think ansver is negative
----

apos;'
[image]
04.06.2014 - 17:19
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Bad English on 04.06.2014 at 14:32

and honest ansver, do you listen any of those singers nowadays whit todays music? and if you need pay would you go? as far as I know you I think ansver is negative

I've listened to all solo albums from Anneke and Liv and I like them, especially the ones from Anneke. I'd gladly pay to see them live, more than I would for many bands you would consider "true metal". For example, I would pay more to see Anneke than Testament, Iced Earth or Megadeth, three bands on the top 30 of MetalStorm. It's a matter of taste (I've already seen Testament and Iced Earth live last year and they both sucked).
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
04.06.2014 - 17:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Forever on 04.06.2014 at 17:19

I've listented to all solo albums from Anneke and Liv and I like them, especially the ones from Anneke. I'd gladly pay to see them live, more than I would for many bands you would consider "true metal". For example, I would pay more to see Anneke than Testament, Iced Earth or Megadeth, all bands on the top 30 of MetalStorm. It's a matter of taste.

I never said I dont like Liv read more, but I like her more in ToT and besides I saw Iced Earth in city fest I pated sek 550 (but price was for fest , many othr activties so) ... I think this event in Swe couild cost between 500-1000 krones, same time Testament, IE , 400 , Mega could cost more, Big 4 was maybe 1000 and I wont pay such money ... I cold see Big 4 in Göteborg live on Swe TV whiut football, hockey style studio lead by Danielsson from Watain ... but I wouild better see Testament, IE lives more as those chicks, Mageth ?? dunno

if ppl start whi this non real metal and siter site its big chance after 4 years ppl will lost interest into metal
----

apos;'
[image]
04.06.2014 - 23:00
Erik M.
Written by Bad English on 03.06.2014 at 15:01

Well outside metal genre, I dont think Gathering is good music, boring IMO as some top prog bands, I get pissed and bored from this, primitive Ac/DC riffs every day you will be happy, its enought whit Anneke or Gathering to next year you dont wanna hear it

Not a fan of The Gathering by any means, but the debut is great, Mandylion is their best and Nighttime Birds is "good", but inferior to the first two albums.
04.06.2014 - 23:05
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2014 at 13:03

Damn, I don't like Anneke's vocals after Nighttime Birds and i don't like The Gathering after Always (except for Mandylion), but saying "Anneke role in metal is week," shows the total lack of any metal knowledge whatsoever on K7's part. And again proving that het totally IS the dumbest most braindead ridiculous person around here on MS. Like has been stated by other posters here, Anneke had and still has an immensely important role in metal. Way more important than Liv (talk about non-metal vocals, goddamn) and Kari will ever reach.

What Edgar said is indeed not true at all. As I said, I'm not a fan, but if you don't like a certain band/musician, it doesn't mean it immediately has less significance. Btw, I also think only the first two albums are really worth it, though while your favourite is the debut, mine is Mandylion. I also think it's strange to refer to clean female vocals as "metal" or "non-metal".
04.06.2014 - 23:07
Erik M.
As far as female vocalists go, I really enjoy both Liv and Anneke. Liv's best works are without a doubt the first three ToT albums. Highly influential records. While the 3rd is my least favourite of theirs, her vocals on that one are absolutely stunning.
04.06.2014 - 23:10
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 04.06.2014 at 17:23

Written by Dark Forever on 04.06.2014 at 17:19

I've listented to all solo albums from Anneke and Liv and I like them, especially the ones from Anneke. I'd gladly pay to see them live, more than I would for many bands you would consider "true metal". For example, I would pay more to see Anneke than Testament, Iced Earth or Megadeth, all bands on the top 30 of MetalStorm. It's a matter of taste.

I never said I dont like Liv read more, but I like her more in ToT and besides I saw Iced Earth in city fest I pated sek 550 (but price was for fest , many othr activties so) ... I think this event in Swe couild cost between 500-1000 krones, same time Testament, IE , 400 , Mega could cost more, Big 4 was maybe 1000 and I wont pay such money ... I cold see Big 4 in Göteborg live on Swe TV whiut football, hockey style studio lead by Danielsson from Watain ... but I wouild better see Testament, IE lives more as those chicks, Mageth ?? dunno

if ppl start whi this non real metal and siter site its big chance after 4 years ppl will lost interest into metal

Dude, how many times do you want me to repeat myself? The site may be dedicated to metal, but it is also dedicated to the projects actual and former metal singers have. Anneke, like it or not, did not left the metal scene as she still colaborates as a guest to many metal artists and she also goes on stage with them. Marcel already pointed out that many of the current female vocalists do not have a proper metal voice. Kari comes from a more folkish background while Liv from the symphonic side. Anneke happened to come from the rock side. And seriously, if you were to compare the solo works between Liv and Anneke, Anneke is far better, probably tied with Kari.

And oh so help me god, it is not like everyday you get non-metal news. And even so, there are many other bands that never stepped foot in the metal realm, or that have departed the metal scene, and are still promoted here. Why? Because heavy metal with all its sub-genres is the brainchild of other musical genres, including rock music, blues music, jazz music, folk music, etc.. The fact that they are promoted means that this site is not all metal exclusive, but it promotes diversity too.

If you don't have anything else to add I suggest you fuck off. Seriously, you just go way too far with your pointless rantings. If you do not like how this site functions and what news are posted, make your own and run it how you see fit.
05.06.2014 - 00:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Erik M. on 04.06.2014 at 23:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.06.2014 at 13:03

What Edgar said is indeed not true at all. As I said, I'm not a fan, but if you don't like a certain band/musician, it doesn't mean it immediately has less significance. Btw, I also think only the first two albums are really worth it, though while your favourite is the debut, mine is Mandylion. I also think it's strange to refer to clean female vocals as "metal" or "non-metal".

non metal I mean a non metal music what her solo band play not singing ... music meldies what Anneke do... even Liv is more metal music sound, guitars, instruments even she has strong feminin voice, non of 3 singers music sound is metal after original bands

about Marcel's stupid post what is 100% idiotic no wonder why dutch cant win WC, maybe all players are so stupid and dont follow coach LOL

well eteast I am still here and I am not teenager who was at site listen good metal bands. then 21 get meried, have 3 kids and now at 31 listens some pop music on local radio when dives... dont think ppl who listens pop and did Mayhem at teenage years are metalheads ... and we have such users in this site, well we had
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 14823 | This month: 24