129 users:
Band: Yob
Album: Clearing The Path To Ascend
Release date: September 2014

01. In Our Blood
02. Nothing To Win
03. Unmask The Spectre
04. Marrow

Ah yes, stoner/doom metal. Heavy and crushing, filthy and provocative. Not my favorite brand of vodka but when I want to lather my musical palate with some that's artistically and professionally done, I look no further than Eugene, Oregon's Yob. They have been a staple in the genre for over a decade now and not only have they delivered a fine effort with Clearing The Path To Ascend, they have escalated past their last critically acclaimed album, Atma.

I am always a sucker for lengthy, epic, monumental songs and Clearing The Path To Ascend dishes out its punishment in the form of 4 tracks totalling 60 minutes of music - just huge. The entire opus bases its sound on two principles: First, slower tempos arranged around down-tuned guitar tones that create a thick and dense sonic aura. Secondly, tactically placed ethereal and absorbing moments of audio gratification that are proximal to monolithic riffs and drums pounding away with slow, mammoth patterns. These two propositions complement each other effortlessly, combining to create one gigantic, resolute but satisfying outlook.

The "improvements" over their last record, Atma are substantial. The biggest change is the addition of more atmosphere and progression in the themes of the songs. Aside from the direct and simple riffage, there's a focus on structure and dynamics that can kick the music into overdrive before lulling the listener back into a state of auditory numbness, and dare I say there is a bit of melody contrived in these notes. Also, the production is a bit more smooth, and not so much the smoky and hazy firmaments that engulf most of stoner/doom music. It's a pleasant change, the fact that Yob did not suffocate their songs with a lumbering mass of blunt distortion. Finally, the vocals are still low in the mix but are more than just growled or screamed. Engaging, coherent, clean singing that's somewhat manipulated are perfectly synced to enhance the magnitude of the album.

Clearing The Path To Ascend is a high benchmark for other bands of this ilk to take on. I've tried other bands in this genre but I find that Yob have a unique way of creating music that's entirely sheltered in acute directness and yet still manages to deliver undiscovered subtleties on repeated listens. I love their startling ability to sink to new depths of desensitizing heaviness with song designs that are more or less uncomplicated but still can appease the layman's metal music listener.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 14.08.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 213 users
14.08.2014 - 15:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Yeah, I haven't heard the full album yet other than the one track that was already released, but going by that one alone I definitely see what you're saying that this album appears to have better atmosphere and progression. It seems a little darker, and dark for this type of music is always good for me. Nice review
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.08.2014 - 15:41
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
Planning on listening to this and the new Pall Bearer as I might see them both soon. Nice review Jay, as it is often the case.
14.08.2014 - 18:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Ilham on 14.08.2014 at 15:41

Planning on listening to this and the new Pall Bearer as I might see them both soon. Nice review Jay, as it is often the case.

Coming back in France or do they tour Morocco too?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.08.2014 - 18:57
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Darkside Momo on 14.08.2014 at 18:39

The day bands start touring Morocco, you'll hear me yapping about it . No unfortunately, I just have a couple things left to do in France, and if my finances allow me to, I'll see these guys and a couple other bands. Are you going to catch the Toulouse date? I think there is one.
14.08.2014 - 20:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.08.2014 at 15:38

Yeah, I haven't heard the full album yet other than the one track that was already released, but going by that one alone I definitely see what you're saying that this album appears to have better atmosphere and progression. It seems a little darker, and dark for this type of music is always good for me. Nice review

It's definitely my favorite of their's. They've taken their sound in the direction I wanted them to (like you said, darker and more "atmospheric").
Great review btw Jay
14.08.2014 - 21:29
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Ilham on 14.08.2014 at 18:57

Written by Darkside Momo on 14.08.2014 at 18:39

The day bands start touring Morocco, you'll hear me yapping about it . No unfortunately, I just have a couple things left to do in France, and if my finances allow me to, I'll see these guys and a couple other bands. Are you going to catch the Toulouse date? I think there is one.

There is one. Not totally sure to be there, but probably!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.08.2014 - 01:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 14.08.2014 at 18:57

If my finances allow me to, I'll see these guys and a couple other bands.

Why did I read that as *fiances at first?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.08.2014 - 18:27
LiquidSmoke
Account deleted
My appetite has grown bigger after each paragraph read.
16.08.2014 - 00:27
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay. I listened to this. It's great. It's just great. Now I know which gig to give priority to, I'm not missing this live.
17.08.2014 - 13:22
m.Kekchoz

Probably my favorite since The Illusion of Motion ! A good surprise for me, yeay !!
17.08.2014 - 20:16
Monolithic
♠♠♠
"Marrow" is such a mesmerizer. The entire album seems better than Atma to me.
13.10.2014 - 05:37
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I'm definitely in agreement that the production brings out the best in this album. Excellent.

Hits total: 5969 | This month: 16