04. Surgeons Of Lobotomy
05. My Demon
06. I Am Pain
07. Back From The Grave
08. The Dark Passenger
09. River Everlost
10. Frozen
11. Killing Floor

Wolf, is and always has been, what this "new wave of the old school style" always tries to accomplish. Creating a new sound from old pieces. So many young(er) bands attempt it, most come across as disposable nostalgia acts. Wolf have always danced that fine line without stepping over completely, giving them their edge. And so it continues with Devil Seed.

That is what has always been commendable about this band, the fact that their love of NWOBHM is made blatant without sounding like a group of fanboys still trapped in daddy's record collection. Devil Seed is a continuation of what they've done on every album so far. The Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden love is still there, and so is the distinct Wolf sound. Too bad this is one of their weaker efforts.

Rest assured, the downfall of this album not for any over-nostalgic reasons. Devil Seed is just a pretty monotonous, somewhat lazily paced album. Each individual track is fantastically distinct: "I Am Pain" has that jaunty, Thin Lizzy feel, while "Dark Passenger" throws off vibes of The Cult. Each song has its own flavor. However, aside from *"Shark Attack", there aren't any real "ragers" on this album. It's all fairly mid-paced, which makes the broad picture more than a little boring. Every Wolf album thus far had a nice balance of steady stompers and pedal-to-the-floor ragers weaving in and out of one another. This album lacks that variety.

Ultimately it's a fairly decent addition to the Wolf catalogue, even if a little boring due to the single-mindedness of it.

*This review would have rated it a dismal 1 out of 10 had they the audacity to name a track "Shark Attack" and not made it a rager. Just on principle, ya know?

Written on 21.08.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 30 users
10.10.2014 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Indeed a shame there are not more ragers like Shark Attack on this album. Wolf is at its best when they play ragers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4430 | This month: 8