Metal Storm logo
What do you think of Metal's evolution ?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.02.2007 - 02:16
Well, this is simple, this thread will just be dealing with the way Metal has evolved. From its beginning, some 30 years ago, or more, to now.

So many things have changed, so many genres, sub genres and bands have been created, thus, Metal music itself has changed. Just to mention some examples, i am especially thinking about Nu Metal, which was supposed to bring about a "revolution" in Metal, or some bands that have totally changed their sound (please dont bash Metallica or In Flames XD).

Personally, i am someone who changes a lot, as a consequence, my tastes in music have really been transformed with time. Because of this, id say i like when things change, i dont like things to remain static and unchanged for a long time. It bores me.
Therefore, i dont mind when some bands try to give their sound something new, which will keep me interesed and curious, as ill always be longing for their next album, to see if something has changed or not. Moreover, i dont think there is a "true metal" genre which would refer to the first Metal bands.
To me, Metal is neither better now than before, nor worse. I dont think i am able to judge, because i like both "oldschool" Metal, and new Metal ( i didnt say "nu" but "new"), eventhough most of my favourite bands are .. kinda new.

There are so many things to say about it, and i am sure many people would disagree with me. This is the reason why id like to ask you how you feel about it. Do you think Metal is improving ? Or on the contrary, decaying ? And dont be afraid of being talkative, give arguments .
23.08.2008 - 01:06
totaliteraliter
Written by Guest on 22.08.2008 at 02:29
Ya-know the discussion is good and I don't want it to dissolve to petty accusations, but your thinking is completely irrational. There are no RIGHT reasons to be interested in metal. Opinions are fine but what I'm talking about is not an opinion. Most of us wish metal were an elite club where only "cool" (subjective term) people are allowed to hang out (of course that includes me and anyone else who shares my musical inclination), but to say that metal has a problem just because it's fans don't all share the same opinion is ridiculous.

I don't see how it's irrational. Honest interest is better for metal than superficial fascination. Identification with the art is better than ironic enjoyment or casually listening without taking anything serious away. All fans are not equal.

At what point in time would you have metal stop evolving? 1986? 1996? 1970? At any time in metal's lifespan you'll undoubtedly find bands that you think are misrepresenting the genre, but without them we wouldn't have the wide array of great bands that we have now - every piece is essential. And there ARE more great bands now than there were 20 years ago.

There are? Can you list the great metal bands twenty years ago and the great bands now? I'd like to see just how many more there are. And you're making a pretty huge assumption - what great bands would we be missing out on if we got rid of certain "evolutions" of metal like glam or nu or whatever other mainstream abomination we want to look at? Metal has never stopped evolving, but every new band isn't an evolution: "nu metal" isn't an evolution of metal so much as it is a regression towards a more primitive and unintelligent form of rock music.
23.08.2008 - 21:00
totaliteraliter
Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 09:49
Jesus man, the simple fact that there are more bands making music is all I need in order to show that there are more great bands.

Wow, this is surely the most fallacious logic you have put forth yet. You must think pop music has far more great bands than metal if this is the way you think.

Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 09:49
I'm not even trying to convince you that your opinion is wrong, it isn't. But saying things like "Honest interest is better for metal than superficial fascination." doesn't do anything for your argument. That statement, along with the one after it, is floating in mid air. How can you say that these circumstances of "Honest interest" and "Superficial Fascination" are anything but time and place specific facts? Honest interest is not always going to be better for metal. There were a lot of conservatives in the 80's and early nineties who were "Honestly Interested" in banning metal from the world. That's not a very beneficial stance now, is it?

Non sequitur... This is so off the wall I don't even know how to respond. Perhaps you should reread my previous post while keeping in mind that I was discussing attitudes on a fan-by-fan basis, not the general attitude of the public?
27.08.2008 - 14:01
Jg1
There weren't much symphonic metal and epic power metal(in modern symphonic sense) 20 years ago, so I absolutely support the metal evolution.
27.08.2008 - 20:18
Conservationist
Metal was inspired by a horror movie soundtrack...

It's going back that way. Listening to Lord Wind now, and thinking of post-rock, post-metal and stuff like Neptune Towers, later Burzum, later Beherit, etc.

It wants epic, in any form. Black metal made good on the original idea, and now metal's ready to evolve again.
24.09.2008 - 05:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i despise the second wave of american metal. i think its way too cookie cutter and that every band wants to be either all shall perish or lamb of god.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
20.11.2008 - 20:49
Metalbound7
To all people that is complaining about Nu Metal and NWOAHM. WTF all of you used to listen before getting into the True Metal? or you born listening to Slayer and Iron Maiden?. Nu Metal is perfectly fine with me, why?, well i hate the music of bands like Slipknot or Bullet for my Valentine, but people start listening to those bands and a year later they start listening to bands like Megadeth, Opeth, Judas Priest , etc. I personally start listening first to bands like Korn and Linkin Park when i was 12 yo. now im a Die Hard Metalhead.

This is why i support Nu Metal 100%, its apportation to the Metal Scene is so huge but we never think about that.
20.11.2008 - 22:18
totaliteraliter
Written by Metalbound7 on 20.11.2008 at 20:49

To all people that is complaining about Nu Metal and NWOAHM. WTF all of you used to listen before getting into the True Metal? or you born listening to Slayer and Iron Maiden?. Nu Metal is perfectly fine with me, why?, well i hate the music of bands like Slipknot or Bullet for my Valentine, but people start listening to those bands and a year later they start listening to bands like Megadeth, Opeth, Judas Priest , etc. I personally start listening first to bands like Korn and Linkin Park when i was 12 yo. now im a Die Hard Metalhead.

This is why i support Nu Metal 100%, its apportation to the Metal Scene is so huge but we never think about that.

Think about this: without numetal, all the record label money that goes (or more accurately went) towards pushing it on the public could go to quality metal bands instead. Don't praise music just for its inflated popularity.
21.11.2008 - 00:37
Metalbound7
Written by totaliteraliter on 20.11.2008 at 22:18

Written by Metalbound7 on 20.11.2008 at 20:49

Think about this: without numetal, all the record label money that goes (or more accurately went) towards pushing it on the public could go to quality metal bands instead. Don't praise music just for its inflated popularity.

Or they could go to support to Britney Spears. the 90's is the worst decade for Metal in terms of popularity. Nu Metal came into Scene and Metal popularity began to grow again, not just Nu Metal bands but Quality Metal bands too.

and about praising music about it's inflated popularity I never said i praised their music, i praise the fact that they get people into Real Metal. I hate Nu Metal sound now, I can't stand to listen to a Korn or Slipknot song, but i dont want them to disappear because what i told above. I praise bands that are very underated like NWOBHM bands so im NOT like "if they are popular i like them" Hell no.
21.11.2008 - 04:39
totaliteraliter
Written by Metalbound7 on 21.11.2008 at 00:37
Or they could go to support to Britney Spears. the 90's is the worst decade for Metal in terms of popularity. Nu Metal came into Scene and Metal popularity began to grow again, not just Nu Metal bands but Quality Metal bands too.

Two things: history has shown that there is a certain market for heavier music beyond the "scene" - initially this market was satisfied by bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, etc. But then labels realized that there were alternatives that were simpler and even more marketable, easier to push around and quickly shape into (more temporary) market forces: glam, nu metal, etc. So were we to do away with the popular metal alternatives I don't think it's too far fetched to suppose quality metal would have a better chance at success (whether this is good or bad, of course, is another issue entirely).

And the other thing: I would be curious to see if you can actually demonstrate that metal was least popular in the 1990s and that furthermore nu metal had anything to do with a supposed increase in popularity in this decade.
21.11.2008 - 18:44
Metalbound7
Written by totaliteraliter on 21.11.2008 at 04:39

Written by Metalbound7 on 21.11.2008 at 00:37

Two things: history has shown that there is a certain market for heavier music beyond the "scene" - initially this market was satisfied by bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, etc. But then labels realized that there were alternatives that were simpler and even more marketable, easier to push around and quickly shape into (more temporary) market forces: glam, nu metal, etc. So were we to do away with the popular metal alternatives I don't think it's too far fetched to suppose quality metal would have a better chance at success (whether this is good or bad, of course, is another issue entirely).

And the other thing: I would be curious to see if you can actually demonstrate that metal was least popular in the 1990s and that furthermore nu metal had anything to do with a supposed increase in popularity in this decade.

Two things:

1st: the term "sold out". Of course there's a certain market for heavier music, that's the reason Metal exist. But is easier to people to start with easy listening music. That's the main reason why some great bands get sold out. Because they want more money and easy coming fans. When you are like 12 yo and start listening to music you search for something easy and fast to get into. 12yo guys start listening to things like Punk, Slipknot or worst, not things like Symphony X. Then they learn and start getting into good music.

Kids are so contaminated with all the society bullshit so if you come to them with a Slayer album they just gonna shit their pants scared and will go moaning to listen to some Simple Plan. They need a middle point (Nu Metal, NWOAHM, Metalcore, Punk, etc.), like a bridge to reach the true glory of Metal. The process to be a Metalhead is Methodic like all in this life.

2nd: i don't need to demostrate what actually is a fact. Heavy Metal, Hard Rock and Glam Metal dominate the mainstream in the 80's, then came Nirvana and Grunge to get all the popularity at the early 90's. Nu Metal recover the Metal mainstream succes at the late 90's and early 2000's. you can chek this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal
21.11.2008 - 20:33
totaliteraliter
Written by Metalbound7 on 21.11.2008 at 18:44
Two things:

1st: the term "sold out". Of course there's a certain market for heavier music, that's the reason Metal exist. But is easier to people to start with easy listening music. That's the main reason why some great bands get sold out. Because they want more money and easy coming fans. When you are like 12 yo and start listening to music you search for something easy and fast to get into. 12yo guys start listening to things like Punk, Slipknot or worst, not things like Symphony X. Then they learn and start getting into good music.

Kids are so contaminated with all the society bullshit so if you come to them with a Slayer album they just gonna shit their pants scared and will go moaning to listen to some Simple Plan. They need a middle point (Nu Metal, NWOAHM, Metalcore, Punk, etc.), like a bridge to reach the true glory of Metal. The process to be a Metalhead is Methodic like all in this life.

2nd: i don't need to demostrate what actually is a fact. Heavy Metal, Hard Rock and Glam Metal dominate the mainstream in the 80's, then came Nirvana and Grunge to get all the popularity at the early 90's. Nu Metal recover the Metal mainstream succes at the late 90's and early 2000's. you can chek this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal

As you seem to have little if any idea what you are talking about, I'm likely to abandon this discussion soon. There is plenty of accessible, "easy listening" metal. Ever heard of Iron Maiden? Or Black Sabbath? Hell even Symphony X, they're a pretty popular band among neophytes not much less accessible than Dragonforce. You think "punk" is something kids listen to before they start getting into good music? And you aren't talking about the popularity of metal, you're talking about the popularity of mainstream heavy music (i.e. this isn't about metal's popularity fluctuating, you're talking about mainstream heavy music trends coming and going which may or may not have anything to do with the popularity of metal proper).
22.11.2008 - 13:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I read the newspaper today and there was an article about Slayer playing in a couple of days in Stockholm [I think]. Anyway the newspaper quoted Tom Araya:

"I usually get cds from new bands and I'm not impressed at all. I use to skip songs. I have not been impressed since System Of A Down came out."

What the hell did I just read?!?!?
How can he say such a stupid thing. Metal has grown a LOT this years. Specially genres like doom that are as awesome as ever before! Grindcore bands are way more interesting now. And some Black metal bands try to get out of the cliche.

And btw... did he say SOAD?! Damn...... First time ever that I feel bad that he has chilean blood.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.11.2008 - 01:00
Metalbound7
Written by totaliteraliter on 21.11.2008 at 20:33

Written by Metalbound7 on 21.11.2008 at 18:44
Two things:

As you seem to have little if any idea what you are talking about, I'm likely to abandon this discussion soon. There is plenty of accessible, "easy listening" metal. Ever heard of Iron Maiden? Or Black Sabbath? Hell even Symphony X, they're a pretty popular band among neophytes not much less accessible than Dragonforce. You think "punk" is something kids listen to before they start getting into good music? And you aren't talking about the popularity of metal, you're talking about the popularity of mainstream heavy music (i.e. this isn't about metal's popularity fluctuating, you're talking about mainstream heavy music trends coming and going which may or may not have anything to do with the popularity of metal proper).

Ok, so you gonna understand just what you WANT to understand then im already out of the disscusion. Just one more cuestion, ¿what you use to listen before getting into true Metal?.
04.12.2008 - 01:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by LeChron James on 24.09.2008 at 05:49

i despise the second wave of american metal. i think its way too cookie cutter and that every band wants to be either all shall perish or lamb of god.

Hey, I like cookies formed into delightful little shapes. Why can't you say they're too green beans?
04.12.2008 - 01:26
Daniel
I hate most US metal.
80's were good for US metal. Definately not now.

Metal evolves like any musical genre. No one can expect it to stay stagnent. Although we can all still embrace and love metal from different times. As to where it's headed, who knows.. and who cares?

I won't say anything else because all you people do on these forums is bash each other.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
04.12.2008 - 02:11
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Dangerboner on 04.12.2008 at 01:14

Written by LeChron James on 24.09.2008 at 05:49

Hey, I like cookies shaped into delightful little shapes. Why can't you say they're too green beans?

fine then. Lamb of God is too green beans and have no variation.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
04.12.2008 - 02:39
I Think Metal is taking a very strong evolution specialy when you're talking about sound enginering .. For me the biggest evolution in metal is underground technical death metal like Neuraxis ,Decrepit Birth And Origin Please don't talk me about Slipknot and Disturbed and all these popular bullshit
04.12.2008 - 09:34
Bleak
Account deleted
Ok i think its making to much geners and im afraid that in the time ill have kids there will be 132 kinds of metal X))
04.12.2008 - 15:54
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 04.12.2008 at 09:34

Ok i think its making to much geners and im afraid that in the time ill have kids there will be 132 kinds of metal X))

Its good to make up a genre to get your point across on what a band sounds like. If ridiculous sounding genres are popping up legitimately THEN it will be become a problem. right now though I don't see a problem with the amount of genres because there hasn't been any new ones named in a long time. There's just hybrids of existing genres....
----
Coldgrits
04.12.2008 - 15:57
Bleak
Account deleted
Exactly
18.12.2008 - 23:15
megatherium
Account deleted
I am a metalhead by trade. I recieved a Bachelors in Metallurgy from the Gulf of Danzig School of Kickassness when I was 13, and love to debate shit like this in my free time.
Now, I affectionately refer to metal as "rock's redneck cousin." This does not allude to the fact that I think metal is for rednecks, it just means that I think metal has a shitload of inbred children. All genres of metal sound alike, and that is what causes all of the debate between what genre of metal something is. Also, that allows a website like this to have such a wide range of forum topics to discuss. Comparing metal across genre is difficult, because all types of metal have a different style and different strengths and weaknesses.
Think about it. When describing a new band to a friend, you refer to what genre of metal they are, and if they don't get that, you combine two different genres of metal to give them an idea. For example, Thrash metal can be defined as heavier than heavy metal and faster than speed metal (Slayer is a great example).
Overall, metal is metal, and all of the genres fit into the category, obviously, which means all of them kick ass for some reason. I think that the diversity is a good thing, allowing a wide variety of music enthusiasts to enjoy said kickassness while still listening to the same genre. And although there are a crapload of different types of metal, I seriously doubt that the list of types will ever be too long. Seriously. It's metal. What is better for a metalhead than more metal? Besides chicks or booze, of course.
18.12.2008 - 23:36
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by AntaeusM on 08.05.2007 at 02:09

Written by Guest on 08.05.2007 at 01:38

It could still be a life-style but "free" don't you think?

dream on.. let's define a lifestyle. A lifestyle is simply said a certain way of thinking, dressing, behaviour and spirituality(sometimes) that belongs to that lifestyle. Goths for example are forced to dress according to a dress code, they are also forced to enjoy certain bands.(Still remember laughable comments like "You are no goth, you don't know who the Sisters of Mercy are!). A perfect example why a lifestyle requires a certain music taste. Same for clothes, and thoughts, behaviour etc. Now, if metal becomes like that, and a so-called "free" metalhead says he enjoys Linkin Park. Then it would be only human if plus minus 95% of the metal scene would spit on him because he doesn't behave like the lifestyle. Same for a Christian who tries to play black metal, or a death metal band who sing about pretty flowers. It simply isn't possible, that freedom doesn't exist when it is a lifestyle. That's why metal should stay a genre of music, and not a lifestyle.

No one who chooses a lifestyle is forced to do anything, it is just usually an accepted thing to look or sound like or be like the other people who choose that lifestyle. I could call myself a Goth but wear nothing but neon green all of the time. Doesn't make me any less Goth, it just makes me look less like your familiar picture of Goth. And last time I checked when someone has an opinion, it is subjective. Always. Otherwise, there would be no difference between opinion and fact.
To another point, there's a dude named Dango who is a drummer for Amber Pacific. Like the band or not, he's pretty skilled and also a devout Christian. He plays on tour with bands who proclaim their hatred of Christians openly in their songs and lifestyle, even words in interviews. And yet he's still a Christian. Hmmm....sounds like it's possible to live one thing and play music that doesn't fit the idea at the same time.
By the way, I'm a Christian and I hate Christian music. Sounds hypocritical, but I just don't like the music. Doesn't mean that I hate the religion. I love it. And it also doesn't mean that I'm not a Christian because I listen to bands like Nevermore who are incredibly atheistic in all aspects. It just means my particular taste doesn't fit the stereotype you would expect.
Now, don't take this as a personal attack against you as a person or your opinions. I'm just an extreme lover of arguing and can't resist tearing a weak argument apart when I see it.
18.12.2008 - 23:40
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by Silent Creeper on 06.06.2007 at 16:03

I think that metal is becoming to much mainstream nowadays... Don't get me wrong I am not one of those who think that metal should forever stay in underground, contrary, I am glad that it gained in popularity but unfortunately in my opinion too much. I see lots of people (often teenagers) that consider themselves as 'true' metalheads while knowing only two, or three bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth... I think that is not problem in bands and their more commercial sound or if I say their musical evolution, but in people that start to listen to metal. Not so long ago was metal for those who where thinking different from other mainstream scene fans, while now this distinction somehow equalized. Metal is becoming part of the mainstream, and lots of people are starting to listen to metal just because it sounds "cool", trying to be rebels (without any reason actally) and things like that, which is bad. But again it is not the fault of bands that make more commercial music, problem is in within metal community.

PS I don't consider nu-metal or -core genres (grindcore is not included ) as metal so I don't see why this would be problem. To me they are part of pop/mtv wannabe rock scene.

I agree that metal is becoming mainstreamed, and that there are people out there who claim to like metal when all they like are the shallow widely promoted metal bands that we tr00 metalheads despise. Trust me, I get really pissed when someone tells me they heard about Metallica or Megadeth or Dream Theater, and then I ask them a question about what songs they like and they tell me the only one they've heard is on Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I just want to kill them right there.
It is this difference in opinion on metal that divides the mainstream metal-lovers from tr00 metalheads.
18.12.2008 - 23:44
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by thesabbathfan on 20.08.2008 at 09:34

seeing as how metal seems to keep getting only eviller and harder, but now, I'm wondering, CAN metal get any harder than it already is? Riffs are already so fast and technical and lyrics are already so brutal and violent (in deathmetals case). Seriously, have we reached the limit? I think so, but if time can prove me wrong, I'm more than willing to follow.

Not completely true. Look at progressive metal. It's not any harder or 'eviller' as you put it, and it's a rather new concept for most people nowadays. Not to say that prog hasn't been around for a long time, but it has only recently become widespread and liked.
18.12.2008 - 23:49
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 23.08.2008 at 01:06

Ya-know the discussion is good and I don't want it to dissolve to petty accusations, but your thinking is completely irrational. There are no RIGHT reasons to be interested in metal. Opinions are fine but what I'm talking about is not an opinion. Most of us wish metal were an elite club where only "cool" (subjective term) people are allowed to hang out (of course that includes me and anyone else who shares my musical inclination), but to say that metal has a problem just because it's fans don't all share the same opinion is ridiculous.

I don't see how it's irrational. Honest interest is better for metal than superficial fascination. Identification with the art is better than ironic enjoyment or casually listening without taking anything serious away. All fans are not equal.

Ahhh, but isn't it this superficial fascination that draws most metalheads deeper into the underground? Think about it.
I am a great example. I used to be a really straight-edge kid. I listened to classical music and played the cello. My friend introduced me to some Metallica and Megadeth, my brother some Slipknot and Korn, and I started growing deeper and deeper in love with metal. Just because the first band I really liked was Slipknot doesn't make me any less of a metalhead. It was just a doorway into much better things like melo-death and prog. I think metal needs the mainstream branch to stay strong in order to keep pulling people in. Because really, if someone had taken me from Mozart and Bach straight through to Black Metal, I would have been scared the hell away from metal forever.
18.12.2008 - 23:57
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by Metalbound7 on 23.11.2008 at 01:00

Ok, so you gonna understand just what you WANT to understand then im already out of the disscusion. Just one more cuestion, ¿what you use to listen before getting into true Metal?.

By the lack of a response to this question, I have to say he ran away with his head between his asscheeks eyes open wide. I award you 15 kickass points for sticking through an argument with such an arrogant person.
BTW I'm not a judgemental person ever. I'm probably one of the least judgemental people nowadays. But if anyone else can look at his arguments and say that Totaliteraliter wasn't just arguing points he thought were dumb instead of the major issue, then please remove your heads from your asses, clean the shit out of your earholes and eyeholes and look again.
19.12.2008 - 21:32
totaliteraliter
Written by Guest on 18.12.2008 at 23:57

By the lack of a response to this question, I have to say he ran away with his head between his asscheeks eyes open wide. I award you 15 kickass points for sticking through an argument with such an arrogant person.

LOL interesting interpretation. I "ran away" because a) the opponent in this particular debate didn't seem to have the capacity to understand either my points or the vacuity of his own and b) I try not to encourage such behavior by answering irrelevant points. Judging by your disappointingly out-of-context quoting and reply to my other post (19.12.2008 at 03:49) I am tempted to conclude that you suffer from the same affliction. Hint: because people can get into metal a certain way does not mean people should get into metal this way, neither does it mean that this route is a good one or the best one. I mean really, did you actually read my posts and conclude "hey, I got into metal through Slipknot, this totally invalidates his position!!!" If so, you have my sympathies.
26.12.2008 - 20:33
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 19.12.2008 at 21:32

Written by Guest on 18.12.2008 at 23:57

LOL interesting interpretation. I "ran away" because a) the opponent in this particular debate didn't seem to have the capacity to understand either my points or the vacuity of his own and b) I try not to encourage such behavior by answering irrelevant points. Judging by your disappointingly out-of-context quoting and reply to my other post (19.12.2008 at 03:49) I am tempted to conclude that you suffer from the same affliction. Hint: because people can get into metal a certain way does not mean people should get into metal this way, neither does it mean that this route is a good one or the best one. I mean really, did you actually read my posts and conclude "hey, I got into metal through Slipknot, this totally invalidates his position!!!" If so, you have my sympathies.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think you've given a good reason as to why it's okay to hate the mainstream metal or why people who get into metal because of the mainstream are less metalheads.
And, if you have in the past, I apologize for missing it. Please make it clear for me now.
16.03.2009 - 00:06
ToMegaTherion
One thing that continues too impress me of metal even after 10 years of listening to it, is metals ability to adapt new sounds and styles into itself. You can almost find every music genre' in metal to some degree. This is one element that continues to keep me interested in metal.

Metal has changed and evolved over the 3 or 4 decades it has existed now as metal. The one thing that keeps metal alive and growing all the time is the continued effort of it bands too push boundaries, to push their talent's to the edge. In doing this many fans have become so attached to the genre' that they couldn't imagine ever listening to anything else. I can't see metal ever dying out, as long it continues to 'evolve', in fact with continued evolution of the sound I can only see metal becoming more popular and more widely supported. I have already seen this over the last 10 years. Metal fans have at least tripled since 2000.
22.03.2009 - 11:48
R0$ch
I just watched Iron Maiden's Live After Death videos (including the documentaries and behind the scene and stuff) and I was wondering how Metal/Rock evolved into that what you see on concerts these days... back in the 80's people didn't need to wear black to have fun at a concert, they went there only for the music the way they usually dressed and looked, showing the peace symbol. How did it come to people showing the devils symbol and/or love symbol (most don't even know what the difference is), long hair, headbanging, pogo etc. This whole metal mainstream ruins everything good music means and thus people who don't listen to metal/rock disliking or mocking the ones who do because of this. I went last year to one of Iron Maidens concerts (the only big one until now) and people where looking at us like we where some kind of outcasts.
...just a thought of mine. Maybe you see it differently.