03. Orogenic
04. Wires/Dream\Wires
05. Antirazor
06. Murasame
07. Nexus
08. Disposable
09. Passing

Sometimes life is full of surprises.

About a month ago, after a long three and a half year run, I deleted Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster's Exegesis off my space-deprived iPhone to make way for albums to be reviewed. Not one week passes when out of the blue Tom emails me and asks if I want to review their newest album. Needless to say I jumped at the chance.

Wires/Dream\Wires see the band returning after three years off pretty much in stride with Exegesis.

TNBD play post metal and follow the basic blue print of the genre, which is to see quiet instrumental pieces which slowly build up to distortion pedal stomping crescendos. Hooray. Another band in a long line of post-it note acts.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster stand apart for several reasons.

First - they adhere to the basic recipe, but they carved out their own niche. You have ebbs and flows, build-ups and releases, but it doesn't just sound like another Explosions In The Sky knock off. It's not post-it by numbers. They have their own slightly mutant version with their own flourishes and swells. Every player has their part, every player has their moment, and they all fit together.

Second - they do it better than most. Far better. It just feels more evocative. The entire point of the genre is to try to paint a picture with sound. To go with that analogy, their music would be hanging in a gallery somewhere, while most of what I've listened to would be on display in an office building. The kind that sells office supplies, perhaps, like Post-It notes.

Third - There are the exception to the rule. My normal advice to post bands not named after bridge collapses is to cut the singing. Too much HUHIGIGGAWWWRRR too loud in the mix that makes me want to jam barbed metal skewers into my ears. TNBD vocals are great and add to the music.

So with Wires/Dream\Wires the band have crafted songs that are a slight improvement on Exegesis, which is impressive given how much I enjoyed that album. Amusingly, however, it seems they took to heart the advice I've been trying to give the other acts. The album is nearly entirely instrumental. You get some vocals, a little muted, on the closer, "Passing". That's it.

Ultimately while initially a tad disappointed with the lack of vocals on this effort, after repeated listens it didn't terribly much matter.

Wires/Dream\Wires is like a big, massive hamburger loaded with bacon, grilled onions, mushrooms, or whatever else you dig on your favorite. This is my review, my palate is king. When the plate arrives you might expect a mountain of fries to greet you along with the burger, only to find a handful? woe is the diner. However once you've devoured the tasty, tasty burger you realize it's a damned fine meal on its own and you didn't need the fries in the first place.

Or something like that. Side note, I probably shouldn't review on an empty stomach.

I'll just say three years and change ago Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster re-ignited some enthusiasm in a genre that seemed doing its finest to choke it out of me. The same holds true now with Wires/Dream\Wires. A thoroughly enjoyable album, great for enthusiasts of the genre as well as a good starting point for those looking to dabble.

Conveniently, streaming here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 31.08.2015 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 197 users
31.08.2015 - 07:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The vocals were indeed more than fine in the previous album. Will definitely check this one out though! We seem to have similar views on the genre as a whole so if you like it then I'm more than sure I will enjoy it as well. Thanks for the review and get a burger!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.08.2015 - 09:41
Ivor
Staff
Love the band, love the album. I think it's fantastic and I figure I'll experience the same amount of repeated plays as with Exegesis. I too miss the vocals, though not terribly much. It settles in after the initial slight disappointment wears off. The music is stunningly well executed.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
31.08.2015 - 13:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I've been listening to the album recently and as a fan of the post genre, I really recommend this. It's lovely and I wish we had more vocals though

However, it doesn't take anything away from the experience. With post-metal, I always feel like it's about the journey. I always get that feeling more than in other stuff I listen to. This one is worth it.

Tks, Craig!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.08.2015 - 16:33
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Really strong album again. Not quite as good as Exegesis, mainly because it doesn't have a true standout song in the vein of "Wake", but on the whole I like it a lot. I also don't mind the lack of vocals - I actually find them slightly off-putting on "Passing", which is a bit strange as I generally enjoyed them on Exegesis
31.08.2015 - 17:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
As an added boost, I've been told that we won't likely have to wait 3.5 years for the next release, and it will probably have more vox as well. and likely a vid or tw ofor this.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.09.2015 - 00:57
Risto
Wandering Midget
Is this any heavier than their previous material? Just asking whether I should even bother with the Metal Archives I'm liking what I've heard so far.
02.09.2015 - 01:39
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Besides me missing the vocals, all in all a very good album. The production is some of the tightest I've heard for post metal since Pet Slimmers Of The Year - Fragments Of Uniforms (which you must check out Craig). One thing I have noticed lately is a lot of today's post metal bands are shying away from electronics and going for a more crunchy, organic sound. Reverb and amplitude are still engaging qualities found in post metal but I miss the days of old when electronics and programming played a huge role in a bands catalog I.E. early Mouth Of The Architect, Cult of Luna and Rosetta. Great review and thanks.
----
rekt
02.09.2015 - 23:54
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Love love love love! So excited to hear this
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.09.2015 - 06:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.09.2015 at 01:39

Besides me missing the vocals, all in all a very good album. The production is some of the tightest I've heard for post metal since Pet Slimmers Of The Year - Fragments Of Uniforms (which you must check out Craig). One thing I have noticed lately is a lot of today's post metal bands are shying away from electronics and going for a more crunchy, organic sound. Reverb and amplitude are still engaging qualities found in post metal but I miss the days of old when electronics and programming played a huge role in a bands catalog I.E. early Mouth Of The Architect, Cult of Luna and Rosetta. Great review and thanks.

Conveniently PSotY is on Spotiy, checking out.

Glad you liked TNBD's latest. was a total surprise to see the review request in the inbox.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.09.2015 - 15:26
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Yeah great stuff here and definitely better than most run-of-the-mill post-bands existing nowadays. This genre has become so stagnant, it's nice to hear a different approach. Still this sounds more like, um, well, instrumental alternative rock/metal than post. Indeed reminds me a bit of Pet Slimmers' debut album in the post department but also bands such as Tool a lot of the time. I love the fact that they do not use vocals, like, at all. The song with vocals is one of the weaker tracks I think.

The only downside to this album is that it's a bit too long for my taste. I like listening to music one album at a time but rarely find myself wanting to hear all of this in the same sitting. Need to check out their earlier stuff.

Hits total: 7063 | This month: 15