03. Flayed, Dismembered And Feasted Upon
04. Wretched Stagnant Blood
05. Befouled With Zest
06. Epoch Of Methodic Carnage
07. Death Bound Conundrum
08. Lurid Iniquity
09. Battered Into Nothingness
10. Gratification Through Castration

I usually write a small introduction in my reviews as you might remember (or not, whatever), but this time, this album deserves something else, so I'll go straight to the point right now; Epoch Of Methodic Carnage is one of the best Brutal Death Metal albums this year; having said that I'll explain a little more about this outstanding piece of music.

Ok Brutal Death Metal is a really peculiar genre and I'm sure many metal-heads dig only 2 or 3 bands regarding this genre; maybe you are saying right now "most bands nowadays sound just like Devourment or in other cases just like Deeds Of Flesh, there's not enough room in Brutal Death to explore or dig a little deeper you know?" well, Abysmal Torment just proved you wrong, a band from Malta that will literally melt your eardrums each time you push play in your stereo.

Epoch Of Methodic Carnage is wrapped with overwhelming metal, a lot of super-catchy riffs here and there and utter brutality all along the album. The music presented is really technical and multifaceted (in the brutal kind of way of course), each breakdown is even stronger than the previous one, the riffs are catchy but violent, the bass-lines add great atmosphere towards the sound and the drum-beats explore beyond blast-beats. The tunes are carried on with dual vocals which, by the way, are really intense and explosive; the deeper vocals steal the spotlight this time though.

Regarding songwriting and execution this album is almost flawless, the structures in each song will keep you entertained chord by chord and beat by beat (just check the awesome progression in "Wretched Stagnant Blood"), there are other songs (for example "Epoch of Methodic Carnage") with even more intricate structures, a lot of pauses, comebacks, chromatic breakdowns, etc. The instruments sound impressive and really clear (that in relation to the production of course), so you won't only get amazing music but great sound and mix as well.

This album is really fucking brutal, so I'm sure some people won't understand it, mostly metal purists who think metal music should feature keyboards or a cello damn it; but if you do like metal the way it should be made then grab this album instantly, you won't be disappointed believe me.

Best Tracks: "Epoch Of Methodic Carnage", "Lutrid Iniquity", "Gratification Through Castration"

Written by Herzebeth | 14.04.2006

Guest review by
Ankit
Rating:
"Epoch of Methodic Carnage" is the first full length album released by Maltese sickheads Abysmal Torment and it's a fine display of skilled and original musicianship. This CD contains 42 minutes of uncompromising butchery and mayhem which never ceases to fade away. Each and every guy in this band is proficiently skilled in his particular department. The guitar work is pretty technical in nature with nice groovy/slam parts. However, the slam parts or breakdowns aren't exactly the ''chugging'' ultra breakdowns which are present in bands like Devourment, Cephalotripsy or Abominable Putridity. What i found refreshing was the presence of bass on this record which is generally absent from a majority of brutal death metal releases.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2009 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 22 users
17.03.2007 - 18:17
Rating: 9
Stigmatized
One of my favorite albums of last year. Brutal, but still very catchy.
17.03.2007 - 18:30
Rating: 9
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Woah, this has been here 11 months and I never saw it :S

Anyway, one of my favourite Brutal DM bands and one of my favourite albums from last year. Their technique to create something that is incredibly brutal, yet not sacrificing catchyness is amazing.

Just to add, their EP (Incised Wound Suicide) is incredable aswell.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
17.03.2007 - 21:35
Basso
Account deleted
This album is great, incredibly catchy and brutal. Great fun great grind.
18.03.2007 - 00:37
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
FUCK I love this album. When I first listened to the first track, I was like, "hmm this is pretty brutal", and then the fucking song changed and completely pulpified my nuts. But then, to my utter astonishment, the next 3 or 4 tracks just became progressively more brutal. As Herz mentioned, this album isn't just brutal, but also has great songwriting. The structures change and each song has it's own identity.

I can't recommend this album enough.
19.03.2007 - 03:51
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
This album is one of the BEST brutal DM albums i have heard, these guys are fucking awesome, just so catchy, so heavy, so brutal, and just amazing. I would go on forever if it wasent for my extreme lazyness. ITS AMAZING.

Hits total: 5130 | This month: 7