Metal Storm logo
Solos: Slayer vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 21.03.2007 - 19:41
I've included two soloists from each band incase some people feel that the solos from other members of the band or former members were of greater stature. My opinion on this is that the two bands were the best of their time in the fact that they both are very inspiring and influential, but the solos from each band couldnt be more different. Slayers solos were more focused on the speed and darker sound of the solos. While Metallica wanted solos that were going to focus more on the whole sound of the piece and would be more towards the styles of classical musicians such as Bach or Mozart. What I mean by that is that Metallica wanted their solos to be understood and heard clearly through and through. Not to say anything bad about Slayer but the fact that Metallicas solos are far more clear just gives me this impression. So, what are your thoughts on this? Who had the best solos, Slayer or Metallica?

Poll

Best Solos From These Two 80's thrash bands? [Metallica vs Slayer]

Metallica [Kirk Hammet]
Metallica [Dave Mustaine]
Slayer [Kerry King]
Slayer [Jeff Hanneman]

Total votes: 243
03.04.2011 - 23:25
blacktooth85
Since Mustaine is on there I'll go with him, overall Metallica has better solos than Slayer i have to admit.
20.05.2011 - 16:48
Razorback
King and Hnneman should practice at least 20 more years to gain skills Hammet and Mustaine have,just my opinion.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
29.06.2011 - 01:36
Damshak
Metallica [Kirk Hammet] Because he has more rapidity and style
04.07.2011 - 14:39
evilwayz
Metallica has more interesting solos compared to Slayer. Slayer's solos are more insane, but they could use a little more variation in their soloing in my opinion.
26.10.2011 - 23:57
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Slayer i say, because Jeff's and King's style seems more intense and alot more thrash metal. Sure Dave, and even Kirk have some righteous solos, Slayer just captures the true speed and craziness that thrash metal is. Kinda funny that Hanneman is last, he along with Dave is one of my favorite guitarists.
27.10.2011 - 02:28
ToMegaTherion
Tough ask to pick between these guys, they all have their moments. Mustaine's work with Metallica was very limited and hard to gauge, but if his work with Megadeth is anything to go by then I'd be inclined to put him up there, because he is such a creative guitarist. In say that though, all four of these guys have there moments.
20.03.2012 - 05:08
Thrash83
I have to go with Kirk, Dave is amazing, though I have never really cared for his solos that much. Kerry and Jeff are completely insane, wild chaotic monsters of blind rage and hate when it comes to solos, especially on songs like God Send Death and Angel of Death, but they're just that. Kirk has more variation in his soloing when compared to those three so that's probably why I would go with him.

BUT. If Gary Holt was on that list, he would be my choice.
07.12.2012 - 03:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I voted for Kirk's style of soloing, it sounds really cool. Dave has a distinct style also. I think Slayer's is alright personally, nothing that stands out spectacularly or anything.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).