07. Pray
08. Only Pain
09. Low Lands
10. Liberation

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2016

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
Across their career thus far, and most notably on From Mars To Sirius and The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira have developed a reputation for playing an intensely heavy, percussive, and groovy brand of progressive metal, relentless yet hooky with ambitious, often lengthy songwriting. Whilst a sizeable number of bands have at some point in their career softened and/or streamlined their approach to develop a more widely accessible sound, for a band so renowned for their heaviness and, to a lesser degree, complexity, as Gojira, toning down those aspects of their sound could be considered a real risk. However, with 2016's Magma, they deliver an album that is by no means soft or simple, but which is a clear sonic departure from the likes of "Backbone" and "The Art Of Dying" from previous albums. How has this decision paid off for them? Well, in this humble reviewer's opinion, while this album doesn't rival the aforementioned albums as the band's best work, there are more than enough positive and interesting things about the new approach for it to avoid being classified as a failure.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2017 | Comments (2)

Found in 76 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 1406 users
11.06.2016 - 00:08
Rating: 5
God Alone
It was pretty good until Stranded. After that, they totally lost it.
15.06.2016 - 07:30
Apolyon666
Why are these bands following Mastodon... yes... broaden your horizons... but this is rather soft considering.... I feel like I'm forcing myself to like this being a die hard Gojira fan...
17.06.2016 - 08:38
RazMan
This was weak!

Not what Gojira should be doing.

Gojira should understand that there is A HUGE difference between begging the listener to save the Earth and insisting furiously to do it! There is no aggression on this album and to me that aggression was what made Gojira great on all previous releases.

I mean if you like songs like Clone or Remembrance and compare them to anything on Magma there is really nothing left but disappointment. I really anticipated this album but it is really bad to be honest. Gave it a 5, don't know if it even deserves a score that high, might change it after a few more listens.

Stranded btw is dangerously close to Linkin Park - Figure.09 (You become a part of me) The riff, the rhyming in the lyrics and the melody. That makes me really sad and pissed of at the same time. Hope Gojira can forget this sad excuse of an album and get their asses back to the studio. There is nothing worth promoting on this album so they might as well just ditch the tour and do it right away.
17.06.2016 - 09:38
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by RazMan on 17.06.2016 at 08:38

Hope Gojira can forget this sad excuse of an album and get their asses back to the studio. There is nothing worth promoting on this album so they might as well just ditch the tour and do it right away.

Well, you dodged a whole new record on the basis of comparison of tracks which you have picked from 2 releases(debut and '03). To me, that is just unnecessary as those records have different flavor, spectrum and more importantly to do with - sound.

Not satisfied from "Magma" but it isn't badly delivered. It is just that they raised the stakes high on "Sauvage" and that one record was nicely launched. What i liked about this is they shown us a new direction, pretty crusty riffs, booming bass and constructed different musical structure from typical-Gojira records. They really pulled off these elements very nicely. But, that doesn't change the fact that this is still a letdown release by miles from "Sauvage".
17.06.2016 - 10:06
Rating: 6
AmooKia
It seems there's sth wrong with this record, it doesn't move me at all..
whenever the songs reach the point that it is needed to explode in passion, they kinda collapse .... Even in "Pray" which I think is the best song on this record.... When it comes to the point that needs the explosion with aggression and anger (the anger which Gojira is known for), the song collapses ...
I understand that they want to make their music unpredictable , but unfortunately it didn't work well in Magma...
I agree, this is their weakest record so far and the path they took kinda worries me ....
17.06.2016 - 10:47
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
>Progressive metal
>Rogressive metal
>Regressive metal

The steps Gojira has taken to get to where they are now.
----
17.06.2016 - 18:29
TizMH00
I was expecting something similar to From Mars To Sirius or L'Enfant Sauvage, the only good song on the album is Pray, the rest seems to have done everything right to be done.
17.06.2016 - 22:20
iMorphball
Written by Apolyon666 on 15.06.2016 at 07:30

Why are these bands following Mastodon... yes... broaden your horizons... but this is rather soft considering.... I feel like I'm forcing myself to like this being a die hard Gojira fan...

lol you can't say "yeah broaden your horizons" and then say "you need to make your die-hard fans happy". They made the album they wanted to make. The album is not the problem, you're the problem. If you don't like it that's on you, not on them. Just my 2c.
17.06.2016 - 22:53
woodsmoke666
Been listening the whole day but it's safe to say Gojira's run of great albums has come to an abrupt end! I'm sorry, but if you put out an album of 43 minutes it has to make the most of its short run time. If you take out the fillers and songs that go nowhere like the opener there is very little left to save this album.

Sure, there are some great songs and riffs but just not enough. Compared to their impressive back catalogue this is average, disappointed.
----
tokoloshe
17.06.2016 - 23:03
Rating: 8
Although the record is a little over-accessible and probably intentionally. There are many strong songs here and whilst it's not going to be for everyone I find it to be a worthy addition the collection of any Metal fan.
17.06.2016 - 23:21
Apolyon666
Written by iMorphball on 17.06.2016 at 22:20

Written by Apolyon666 on 15.06.2016 at 07:30

lol you can't say "yeah broaden your horizons" and then say "you need to make your die-hard fans happy". They made the album they wanted to make. The album is not the problem, you're the problem. If you don't like it that's on you, not on them. Just my 2c.

I hear ya... I'm the problem... you're right... what you said is worth about 2 cents... You, the next and person and I are entitled to opinions... if you like it more power to you... I didn't but enjoy
17.06.2016 - 23:58
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Stranded and Only Pain kind of remind me of Korn - No Way

Can any guitar player here explain what effect that is?
18.06.2016 - 07:26
Diverge
Enjoyable record.
18.06.2016 - 11:17
Necrodamus
I'm not huge on the direction they took on this one. Only maybe 4-5 heavy songs, the rest being slow, plodding, even acoustic stuff. Still a good listen but I prefer my Gojira heavier and more, well, metal...
19.06.2016 - 00:00
Moose
I actually think I prefer this over L'Enfant Sauvage, which I found to be a relatively dull album.
Sure, it's no From Mars / The Way of All Flesh, but I'm finding it to be quite enjoyable.
19.06.2016 - 00:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Enjoyed it a lot up to Yellow Stone, and Magma wasn't bad. The last 4 are a bit nothingy though. Preferred it to the last 2 albums by a stretch. They sounded like they just chilled out on this one which worked out fairly well.
19.06.2016 - 00:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.06.2016 at 00:13

Enjoyed it a lot up to Yellow Stone, and Magma wasn't bad. The last 4 are a bit nothingy though. Preferred it to the last 2 albums by a stretch. They sounded like they just chilled out on this one which worked out fairly well.

My thoughts exactly. Tbh it is quite a bit better than the previous two.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.06.2016 - 05:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2016 at 00:31

My thoughts exactly. Tbh it is quite a bit better than the previous two.

After reading the comments here I was expecting a lot worse. I guess people just want more of the same. I like the new direction though.
19.06.2016 - 11:29
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Really enjoying this album. I'm not really a Gojira fan, with my only album of theirs prior to this being L'Enfant Sauvage, which I didn't like much. So I can't compare this to their earlier albums, only that one, but from that perspective I really like this. Especially enjoy the songs released as videos - "Silvera" and "Stranded" but pretty much a fan of everything else on the album.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
19.06.2016 - 11:40
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Written by Introspekrieg on 17.06.2016 at 23:58

Stranded and Only Pain kind of remind me of Korn - No Way

Can any guitar player here explain what effect that is?

I think that's wah-wah with phaser!
19.06.2016 - 18:49
kam1kaze
After hearing several times new Gojira album, I can say that have lost bellows and miss you some hardness of yesteryear, you could say that it is quite accessible compared to his previous work, yet his first 4 subjects are Gojira 100%, only that at the low end, either by wanting to reach more people , matter who despite, already are a mainstream band, or by simple experimentation.
19.06.2016 - 19:22
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I never thought this would be the case but the more I listen to this, the better it gets! I think sounds very refreshing, interesting to hear Gojira doing something different, still sounding like Gojira. Can't wait to give a full in depth listen to it
20.06.2016 - 08:15
RazMan
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.06.2016 at 09:38

Hope Gojira can forget this sad excuse of an album and get their asses back to the studio. There is nothing worth promoting on this album so they might as well just ditch the tour and do it right away.

Well, you dodged a whole new record on the basis of comparison of tracks which you have picked from 2 releases(debut and '03). To me, that is just unnecessary as those records have different flavor, spectrum and more importantly to do with - sound.

Not satisfied from "Magma" but it isn't badly delivered. It is just that they raised the stakes high on "Sauvage" and that one record was nicely launched. What i liked about this is they shown us a new direction, pretty crusty riffs, booming bass and constructed different musical structure from typical-Gojira records. They really pulled off these elements very nicely. But, that doesn't change the fact that this is still a letdown release by miles from "Sauvage".

Those two songs were examples of Gojira at their best in my opinion. I have liked all their previous releases almost equally much. There is REALLY aggressive songs on each album up til now even though L'Enfant Sauvage and Terra Incognita have different flavour and sound. But Magma does not have the attitude and aggression anymore which used to make Gojira great.
20.06.2016 - 10:20
Rating: 9
Sr Tumnus
For me is a good step... forward!
the sound is Gojira... but trying some new stuff!
Accessible is a good thing... im dont want the same record other an other again!
----
Damn is good!
20.06.2016 - 10:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It's a good album. But I'm sure lots of Gojira fans will be outraged, because it is not what they wanted/expected. Of course, because bands are supposed to record albums people want. /endsarcasm
20.06.2016 - 12:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by RazMan on 20.06.2016 at 08:15

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.06.2016 at 09:38

But Magma does not have the attitude and aggression anymore which used to make Gojira great.

Well, it may be but i can assure that this isn't bad record at all. Nothing spectacular to be very honest here, at least they maintain the sound which is cut-above satiafactory.
21.06.2016 - 03:38
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 19.06.2016 at 00:13

Really? This one was a borefest the entire way through. I'm really surprised that you liked it at all... I mean, I totally understand not really liking their two previous albums, but even if you didn't, this one is all the worse parts of those albums put together into one filler-ridden mess of badly-made Gojira-meets-radio-rock type songs. There's a few redeemable qualities of this album, but this is by far my least favorite Gojira record at this point.

Maybe I'll give it another listen, but I'm totally not hearing whatever it is you seem to be hearing from this album.
----
21.06.2016 - 04:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Quite good up to "Magma" then I can't help but lose attention, it gets aimless from there. And the first half doesn't really drive me crazy either, so it's an average record with a few good tunes. Too bad, I was expecting something a lot better as I liked all the singles they've released before the album
22.06.2016 - 18:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 21.06.2016 at 03:38

Really? This one was a borefest the entire way through. I'm really surprised that you liked it at all... I mean, I totally understand not really liking their two previous albums, but even if you didn't, this one is all the worse parts of those albums put together into one filler-ridden mess of badly-made Gojira-meets-radio-rock type songs. There's a few redeemable qualities of this album, but this is by far my least favorite Gojira record at this point.

Maybe I'll give it another listen, but I'm totally not hearing whatever it is you seem to be hearing from this album.

I got a lot of pleasant melodies, as well as some interesting repetition and post-metal vibes from it. I had no expectations, and hearing a once heavy band relax and just play something simple works pretty well for the most part. I don't think this sounds anything like their previous two, aside from the last few tracks, if only because of how dull they are.
23.06.2016 - 16:48
Zαforαs
Great album, their worst though.

Hits total: 24935 | This month: 85